Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭deisebibo

I read "The Missing Postman" in a whole day yesterday. Probably not a good idea, as was feeling depressed enough before starting it. But it was very interesting, but sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

strife wrote: »
    Reading a Lee Child book - A Wanted Man, I'm getting through it but the series has gone downhill in my opinion, disappointing really!

yeah its no where near as good as some of the others. I'm re-reading through them in chronological order at the moment. Cant wait for the movie though.

Stupid Tom Cruise playing Reacher- thats a bit unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Picnic At Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay. I've long been obsessed by the movie and got the book for 1c off Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'm on a John Connolly binge at the moment, started with The Book of Lost Things and from there to the Charlie Parker series. Really enjoying them, I like the paranormal edge to them and the writings are well researched and not over taxing. I have just finished The Lovers - book 8 and it creeped me out something awful, the best one so far for me.

I can't believe I've never read any of his books before, I used to pick up a Patterson for quick read thriller, but these books make his look like a mentally defiant monkey wrote them.

Also read The Book Thief from a recommendation here, what a beautiful story, thanks guys :)
    Just getting in to Wrath of Angels at the moment. The minute I finish one of his books, I'm at a loss as to what to read next for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Farrgar

Re-reading all of David Gemmell - Love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Im reading The Gardens of the moon by Steven Erikson, its a pretty heavy but very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

A Song of Ice and Fire. A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

am really glad this thread exists. I have been promising myself that I would get into reading more often. So have just ordered a Kindle and was looking for some inspiration on books to buy for it. Thanks for all the recommendations. I don't have any myself yet - but am hoping to change that..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Mary Boleyn: The Great and Infamous Whore by Alison Weir

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

Misery-Stephen King

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign trail 1972

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Nickcaved

I'm reading Angelas Ashes and so far I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Cargin

Moranthology.

Its bloody hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Cargin

Moranthology.

Its bloody hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just started The Siege of Krishnapur - J.G. Farrell

A very descriptive opening

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Reading Game of Thrones, really enjoying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,822 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Wyrd Sisters - Terry Pratchett

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

MJ23 wrote: »
    Still trying to get through Nama Mia. The Ross O Carroll Kelly books have gradually gone downhill since Sydney Parade. I think i might give up on them if the new one is of the same standard as the last few.

I was thinking the same but just finished The Shelbourne Ultimatum, I think it is the best yet. Vintage Ross with at least one huge laugh per chapter. I smiled all the way through it .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Reading Game of Thrones, really enjoying it!

so many names though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

The Twelve. Justin Cronin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Currently reading "Eichmann in Jerusalem", Hannah Arendt's classic account of the trial of Adolf Eichmann in the 60s & his journey from lowly bureaucrat to a position of overseeing the deportation of millions to the death camps, to the life of a fugitive in Buenos Aires & finally to an Israeli courtroom. Not the easiest read in places - the descriptions of the labyrinthine structure which made up the civil & military administration of the Final Solution can be somewhat overwhelming at times but what comes through most chillingly is how much Eichmann's being was subsumed by that system. Although he was not particularly (by the standards of that time) anti-semitic he came to believe that as he had sworn loyalty to the Führer he should regard his will as law & so dedicate himself whole-heartedly to the ending of the "Jewish Problem", regardless of his personal feelings in the matter.

Morality was put aside not in favour of bloodthirsty hatred but rather a detached desire for bureaucratic efficiency. He said during the trial that if it had been required of him to order the killing of his own father he would have done so without hesitation as he had become incapable of conceiving of any moral principle higher than that of enthusiastic obedience to Hitler's plans. The horrifying understanding that one comes to while reading the book is that the Holocaust was not brought about so much by foaming at the mouth fanatics (although they were certainly an important element) as dedicated & unimaginative jobsworths striving for efficiency as a moral code in itself - people who in another time & place would have been equally as hard working & happy in the administration of fishing quotas or hospital waiting lists but instead operated as unquestioning cogs in the machinery of evil. Overall a disturbing but thoroughly fascinating book.

On a re-reading binge, currently reading Hitchhikers, The Crow Road by Ian Banks, and Life of Pi by Yan Martel concurrently. Mostly cause I'm actually a bit bored with all three and can't decide which one I'm going to finish. Joined the local library the other week, should really go find something new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Fergality

Waging Heavy Peace, Neil Young's memoirs! If you love Young, get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

pmcmahon wrote: »
    so many names though
    Watching the first series I made the huge mistake of checking wikipedia to sort a bit all those names, families and stuff..... SPOILERS GALORE :mad:

You have to stay away from internet....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

On a re-reading binge, currently reading Hitchhikers, The Crow Road by Ian Banks, and Life of Pi by Yan Martel concurrently. Mostly cause I'm actually a bit bored with all three and can't decide which one I'm going to finish. Joined the local library the other week, should really go find something new.

Love Hitchhikers, definitely one I find myself re-reading when I'm between other books. If you haven't already, check out the original radio plays which are available on CD, well worth several listens!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Re-reading Life of Pi in anticipation of the Movie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Reading Arnold Schwarzenneger's autobiography. Good read so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Dubliners by James Joyce,

So far it's quite disappointing I don't know if I'm reading it wrong but I just cant find the ''meat'' of the stories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Follow me down to Dublin by Deirdre Purcell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'm only on the second book of A Song of Ice and Fire and I'm really struggling :o I think I might just give up and stick to the TV series. Loved the first book but I'm about 2/3 of the way through the second one and I've hit a wall. I've read 4 other books while I've been reading this one because I can't get into it. I find the whole jumping from one character to the other makes me lose interest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement