Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

closeline wrote: »
    what one would you suggest??
    I've been using GoLauncher practically since I got the phone and love it.

Have tried Apex & Nova launchers in between, but kept going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Here's one...

I have delivery reports enabled on my S2. But when I get one it makes the same message tone I get when I receive a message. I've been caught a few times where a delivery report comes in but I check the phone thinking its a reply.

Is there anyway to turn off the message tone for a DR but keep it on for a received text message?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Herrick wrote: »
    Here's one...

I have delivery reports enabled on my S2. But when I get one it makes the same message tone I get when I receive a message. I've been caught a few times where a delivery report comes in but I check the phone thinking its a reply.

Is there anyway to turn off the message tone for a DR but keep it on for a received text message?
    You could use another app like sms popup that has the message tone and use a silent tone in the default messaging app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

How do i take a screen shot on the s2? I've seen it done on iphone 4, its very handy.
    Anyone know how to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

MJ23 wrote: »
    How do i take a screen shot on the s2? I've seen it done on iphone 4, its very handy.
    Anyone know how to do it?

Press the home and power button.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Press the home and power button.

Thanks, i figured it out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

MJ23 wrote: »
    That doesn't work on my s2

It should it worked on mine from gingerbread to ICS and jelly bean.
    Another way is volume down and power button.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Anyone know why a GS2 would have a pop up message on the screen asking ''Do you want to retrieve this text message'' (or something like that) every time a new text comes in?

it's on Vodafone network if that helps and does not have any text apps on it.

Doing my friends head in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

god's toy wrote: »
    Anyone know why a GS2 would have a pop up message on the screen asking ''Do you want to retrieve this text message'' (or something like that) every time a new text comes in?

it's on Vodafone network if that helps and does not have any text apps on it.

Doing my friends head in!

Might be part of one of the anti-virus apps.

My play store is crashing every time with the following message.
    Sorry!
    The application Google Play Store (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

And a button with "Force Close" on it.

Stumped. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

alproctor wrote: »
    Might be part of one of the anti-virus apps.

Ohh never looked there! Will have a nose tomorrow.
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Stumped. Any ideas?

Reinstall play store

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Stumped. Any ideas?

Try Settings>Apps>Play Store>Clear data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

So I'm thinking of getting one of these on Bill Pay as an upgrade from my Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo?.

Would ye recommend it? The Neo is getting very slow and unresponsive at this stage and since I can get one of these pretty cheapish I might go for it.

Yeah, reinstalled play store - worked a treat - thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Chavways wrote: »
    So I'm thinking of getting one of these on Bill Pay as an upgrade from my Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo?.

Would ye recommend it? The Neo is getting very slow and unresponsive at this stage and since I can get one of these pretty cheapish I might go for it.

It's a great phone, still up there in the top tier for me with only the S3, One X and maybe the iPhone 5 being higher specced and correspondingly more expensive.

I've an S2 and I'd be looking at the next Nexus phone as being my upgrade rather than any of the above, not sure they offer anything sufficiently great over the S2 to be worth it - Nexus + fully functional Jelly Bean/Key Lime Pie out of the box is worth it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Cossax wrote: »
    It's a great phone, still up there in the top tier for me with only the S3, One X and maybe the iPhone 5 being higher specced and correspondingly more expensive.

I've an S2 and I'd be looking at the next Nexus phone as being my upgrade rather than any of the above, not sure they offer anything sufficiently great over the S2 to be worth it - Nexus + fully functional Jelly Bean/Key Lime Pie out of the box is worth it though.

Ya I was comparing the S3 and S2.The S3 has a better processor and better screen along with a few more small things. Wouldn't be worth the extra you pay in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

OTA software update for this yesterday for me (on 3)

Couldn't update it over the air (not my query, I know the problem) but does anyone know what the update is?

My wife got one yesterday for her sgs3 also yesterday (ota from 3) successfully completed and she's now on version 4.1.1 (jellybean)

Could it be? ^^^ ????

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

I got the software notification too.. Phone won't run the update. Anyone know what I can do? I'm on 3 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I got the update and installed it yesterday (fortunately didn't need to use Kies this time so my phone didn't get bricked).

I'm now Android version 4.0.4. What were we on before? Not noticed any real differences so far but then I've only had a quick look.

• Advertisement

I've lost Bluetooth since the upgrade (which was done via kies btw)

Any ideas anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

What do ya mean by 'lost bluetooth'? Is it not an option, not turning on, not picking up devices?

I see the update available and I would like to see some more feedback before taking the plunge myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

What do ya mean by 'lost bluetooth'? Is it not an option, not turning on, not picking up devices?

I see the update available and I would like to see some more feedback before taking the plunge myself!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

4.0.4 arrived for my phone a few weeks ago. Just minor big fixes and some very minor design changes.

March 29, 2012:-

Stability improvements
    Better camera performance
    Smoother screen rotation
    Improved phone number recognition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#Android_4.0.x_Ice_Cream_Sandwich

Dempsey wrote: »

Hi,

Bluetooth wouldn't turn on at all, attempted to turn on, then the Bluetooth icon went dim again (if you get what I mean?)

Anyway, reflashed the update with Odin, and it now works (kies updated me last time)

I'm probably going to revert back though, one of my favourite features of my phone pre-update was jkay deluxe settings,

I can't currently get these back to my phone though as an LPY framework isn't currently available on their site yet, and you need the framework or the app won't activate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Ah, glad I didn't update yet then if you lose jkay for no noticeable improvement.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Ah, glad I didn't update yet then if you lose jkay for no noticeable improvement.

Definitely, definitely not worth losing jkay for the 'update'.

IMO, rooted, on stock firmware with jkay is the best anyone could wish for their sgs2, no custom firmware even comes close.

Edit, also just discovered my camera no longer works.
    Bare in mind folks this was an official update.

Downloaded official firmware from samfirmware admittedly, but still official nonetheless.

Is pants! Wish i had of left the phone as it was now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Try CM guys if you want the best for your SGS2

I updated to 4.0.4 OTA a few weeks ago. Everything works fine and i have noticed a definite improvement in battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Anyone having any issues with GPS?

My phone is constantly searching for GPS even when I've no apps open that should be using it. I haven't installed any new apps recently either.

I use Endomondo and the last few times I used it, the signal has been jumping around the place. So yesterday it told me I'd walked 92 kilometres in two hours. Bit unrealistic for me.

Advertisement