Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your car here, part 3 (Quote A Photo, GET A 24 HOUR BAN!!!)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 progamer3054

What are you driving now? A Micra? lol

I am in the process of purchasing this 1999 Chrysler Sebring Convertible

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Oh my :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Why? It you're gonna pay that much in running costs why not get something......better??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Why? It you're gonna pay that much in running costs why not get something......better??
    I know of some Americans that do the same, buy something familar as back home. Understandable, but the difference is those cars which operated in the bottom to mid tier of quality there (and priced accordingly) become extremely expensive to run and drive here being "exotic". And attract an insurance loading and general pain in the ass due to LHD in a RHD country, wrong suspension setup, brutal mpg etc etc. Its just the wrong place for them, US domestic stuff doesnt travel well as it wasnt meant to.

progamer3054 - I implore you to go to a Motors meetup or something here, there is a world of choice of motors that would be horrifically expensive back home or simply never exported in the US. What was the fruity, expensive import bimmer in the US is the cheapish domestic car here.

I was searching for a used car here for weeks. I simply prefer the look of my American cars and will pay whatever is necessary. I don't mean to sound like a douchebag. It's just my preference.

• Advertisement

I was searching for a used car here for weeks. I simply prefer the look of my American cars and will pay whatever is necessary. I don't mean to sound like a douchebag. It's just my preference.

Would you not go for something like this instead:

PONTIAC FIREBIRD TRANS AM

FORD MUSTANG

1. That Trans Am is gorgeous, but way out of my price range. Also, getting parts for that would not be as easy/cheap as the Sebring (cost 4,200 euros btw)
    2. Always hated mustangs after 1979 and before 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭carleigh

I recently bought my first car, a 2002 Focus, very happy with it so far, fingers crossed it stays that way!

95042314_400.jpg

95042312_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I think the pictures of that car do a wonderful job of highlighting just how horrific the Irish number plates are...

Well wear carleigh, looks great! Best of luck with it :D

djimi wrote: »
    I think the pictures of that car do a wonderful job of highlighting just how horrific the Irish number plates are...

Damn right although the normal style plates would look better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

What's wrong with the plates?
    I love our plate system, so simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

CianRyan wrote: »
    What's wrong with the plates?
    I love our plate system, so simple.

The system is grand, the plates are just fugly, and the requirement for front & rear plates tends to ruin the front of most cars.

Can you imagine a 599 with a big gaudy plate stuck across the front of it?

Funnily enough, BMWs look weird without a plate on the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

supra7g.jpg

Window plates for a 599. :)
    Most modern cars are designed with plates in mind and look odd without them. The big square/rectangular box looks worse than a plate.

The only plates I like the look of more are (you guessed it) the Japanese ones. No idea what they mean but they look nice.

The jap system seems very good (imo) - the plates are assigned to the person rather than the car, so every time you change car, you just change over the plate to the new one.

It's also why any jap import that arrives here will never have plates on it. The old owner needs them!

I forgot that! Just had a flash back to Midnight Wangan there. The system played a small part in th first episode.

Another great thing about Japanese motoring, to give points on your licence they need a picture of your face in the car at the time of the offence, speed with a mask on and you're grand.* :D

*Obviously it's not really this simple.

CianRyan wrote: »
    I forgot that! Just had a flash back to Midnight Wangan there. The system played a small part in th first episode.

Another great thing about Japanese motoring, to give points on your licence they need a picture of your face in the car at the time of the offence, speed with a mask on and you're grand.* :D

*Obviously it's not really this simple.

It is if you're Bill Oddy and you're driving a GT-R in a race against a train :pac:

The show's useful for something. :p

1. That Trans Am is gorgeous, but way out of my price range. Also, getting parts for that would not be as easy/cheap as the Sebring (cost 4,200 euros btw)
    2. Always hated mustangs after 1979 and before 2004.

Is that €4,200 the cost to buy the car or with VRT included? What size is the engine? That Trans Am is on classic tax and insurance so it will be very little. The only thing is you have limited milage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The jap system seems very good (imo) - the plates are assigned to the person rather than the car, so every time you change car, you just change over the plate to the new one.

It's also why any jap import that arrives here will never have plates on it. The old owner needs them!

Same in the US, get a set of plates once and keep them for life.
    Bit of pain sometimes attaching them though

Is that €4,200 the cost to buy the car or with VRT included? What size is the engine? That Trans Am is on classic tax and insurance so it will be very little. The only thing is you have limited milage.

With VRT it'll be around €4,800. I figured insurance would be much higher for a car like that. The Sebring has a 2.5L engine. Limited mileage is another thing. I love to drive, even if it's to nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

IMG_1769_zpsfb3df47f.jpg

..my latest effort, moved from a 1.8 petrol astra to this oil burner....best decision ever!

With VRT it'll be around €4,800. I figured insurance would be much higher for a car like that. The Sebring has a 2.5L engine. Limited mileage is another thing. I love to drive, even if it's to nowhere.
    At over €1.65/L rather than 4$/gal you'll soon lose that...

At over €1.65/L rather than 4$/gal you'll soon lose that...

Compared to the Trans Am? That is way more of a gas guzzler. Also, back in the states, I was dropping about $100+ a week on gas. I think I can handle it even if I drive less.

"Limited mileage" policies are poorly monitored and allow up to 10,000 miles. This is quite a small country.. :p

Classic insurance (BMW 15years and older, differs on other marques) is about EUR500 for the first car and reduces 25% for every car after that. When I had loads of cars, I was paying like EUR80 insurance for V8s and they werent even that old (1995 model years etc).

PS: Older model E36 M3 Evo Convertible, though vastly more advanced than a Sebring. Less than you are paying.. drives and sounds like a race car. I6 with 322bhp. Forget even the look of the cars, if you like driving like you say, you could not possibly pass up the cheap and awesome stuff "here in Rome". The softer and slower non-EVO, non-EURO engine (ie crippled US Emissions model, minus 100BHP off this one) version of this car is $10k in the US, under EUR4k in Ireland for the upgraded, vastly better model.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    "Limited mileage" policies are poorly monitored and allow up to 10,000 miles. This is quite a small country.. :p

Classic insurance (BMW 15years and older, differs on other marques) is about EUR500 for the first car and reduces 25% for every car after that. When I had loads of cars, I was paying like EUR80 insurance for V8s and they werent even that old (1995 model years etc).

I think that'll add to my issues with getting insurance. Here's a list of things I have going against me:
    -US license
    -LHD car

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

LOL!

You have not got a hope in hell of getting insurance on a 2.5 litre Sebring!

I know mid 30's Americans that have paid in excess of 2k euro for insurance on 1.6's

I think that'll add to my issues with getting insurance. Here's a list of things I have going against me:
    -US license
    -LHD car

Ahhhh... Im afraid you are absolutely f-ed here then. EUR1000 insurance on a 1.0l Micra is in your short term future I fear. Can you drive "stick"? Your options are evaporating rapidly if not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

This is what you are more lightly to be cruising around in!!!!! :D

DublinBus1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement