Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your car here, part 3 (Quote A Photo, GET A 24 HOUR BAN!!!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I think that'll add to my issues with getting insurance. Here's a list of things I have going against me:
    -US license
    -LHD car

Buy that Sebring and your insurance quote, when you finally get one (after being laughed off the phone 50 times) will be more than the cost of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Ahhhh... Im afraid you are absolutely f-ed here then. EUR1000 insurance on a 1.0l Micra is in your short term future I fear. Can you drive "stick"? Your options are evaporating rapidly if not!

I'd say you could easily trible that 1000.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Lets not forget that US licenses are also not transferrable to full irish licenses, so the OP will have to do the test. He can drive on his American license for a year, but I doubt he'll find any insurer that will insure him on anything with just an American license.

I suspect he's now thinking:

tumblr_lvrcr4fIBT1qibz0jo1_1280.jpg

And is looking at the quickest way back to the US

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 progamer3054

I payed $8000 a year for my Corvette. I'm more than happy to pay anything less. Also, I am not a permanent resident. I'll be moving back and forth from the US and Ireland for summers. I can get by with my US license.

I feel as if this is more of an American mindset compared to an Irish one. From what I see, people are more economical here.

• Advertisement

Isn't there a crowd in the Us that will insure you over here?

Isn't there a crowd in the Us that will insure you over here?

I am not sure to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised.

I feel as if this is more of an American mindset compared to an Irish one. From what I see, people are more economical here.

Generally speaking here, but usually an 18 year old can't afford a car, never mind 8 grand a year for insurance and 5 grand a year on fuel.

I am not sure to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised.

Afaik there is, I can try find out the name for you tomorrow.

Generally speaking here, but usually an 18 year old can't afford a car, never mind 8 grand a year for insurance and 5 grand a year on fuel.

Generally speaking. Sometimes some abnormal ones come along. :pac:
    Afaik there is, I can try find out the name for you tomorrow.

I was doing some digging around, turns out that a decent chunk of US insurance providers (Geico, Progressive, etc) provide overseas insurance. I'm surprised I waited till now to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I payed $8000 a year for my Corvette

Are you for real? I'm sorry but I just find it very hard to believe that you paid that for insurance every year on a car that was worth a lot less! Hell, Wheeler Dealers did that same vette years ago and got about 6k for it!

Are you for real? I'm sorry but I just find it very hard to believe that you paid that for insurance every year on a car that was worth a lot less! Hell, Wheeler Dealers did that same vette years ago and got about 6k for it!

I'm sure the every year was probably one year!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Good point. My point still stands :)

Well, when it comes to November, it'll be 1 year since I bought it, so....yeah. Good guess.

Granted I only paid six grand for the thing; but hell, it's totally worth it. It's a car that you keep for a very long time. It'll only go up in value if you keep it in optimal shape, which it is. Looks like it rolled off of the assembly line in Bowling Green, KY.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

....still though....8grand :eek::pac:

....still though....8grand :eek::pac:

I guess it's just our American mindset. We like nice things, no matter how much they cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 V8_man

I am in the process of purchasing this 1999 Chrysler Sebring Convertible

Nice 'Vette :D

but..

beware the Sebring! beautiful car but a whole host of problems, even with the Mitsubishi motor. check out http://www.carcomplaints.com/
    Mostly electrical stuff, but here in BC they are by far the cheapest convertible you can buy, which almost sucked me in until I did the research. Hey, sorry to be a downer but you did say you hadn't bought it yet :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I guess it's just our American mindset. We like nice things, no matter how much they cost.

It's not.
    Lot's of people like nice things but I would expect that most folk would balk at the notion of paying $8,000.00 a year for car insurance.

V8_man wrote: »
    Nice 'Vette :D

but..

beware the Sebring! beautiful car but a whole host of problems, even with the Mitsubishi motor. check out http://www.carcomplaints.com/
    Mostly electrical stuff, but here in BC they are by far the cheapest convertible you can buy, which almost sucked me in until I did the research. Hey, sorry to be a downer but you did say you hadn't bought it yet :)

I own a 2000 Chrysler Sebring Convertible back in the states as well (this new one puts me at 3 cars). I am well aware of their history. Thank you for the advice, though!

• Advertisement

It's not.
    Lot's of people like nice things but I would expect that most folk would balk at the notion of paying $8,000.00 a year for car insurance.

Nope. It's pretty common. A few friends of mine got brand new Camaros, Mustangs, and Porsches and their parents pay their $10,000+/year bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Nope. It's pretty common.

Not here it's not.
    Our insurance is excessive as it is, that sort of money is ridiculous for a teenager to be paying.

Not here it's not.
    Our insurance is excessive as it is, that sort of money is ridiculous for a teenager to be paying.

I guess that's applied to a lot of things. College tuition, for example.

Funny little story to share. I was hanging out with this chick who happened to come from a decent amount of money. Her sister (19) got a Lambo from daddy. She crashed it as soon as she left the lot. Parked it in the back of a minivan. Her daddy felt bad for her and bought her a Camaro. She crashed that a week later. Then came the Mustang. About a week and a half later, same thing. Not relevant at all to the conversation :pac:

Nope. It's pretty common. A few friends of mine got brand new Camaros, Mustangs, and Porsches and their parents pay their $10,000+/year bill.
    Not here it's not.

I think that's his point, teenagers aren't paying it.

Can't see that "american" attitude flying to well with anyone over here either tbh, specifically with anyone his own age. Proclaiming you've 2 cars in the US and 1 here, and your yearly spend is over $25k/year on cars alone, will earn you no favors.. or friends for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Can't see that "american" attitude flying to well with anyone over here either tbh, specifically with anyone his own age. Proclaiming you've 2 cars in the US and 1 here, and your yearly spend is over $25k/year on cars alone, will earn you no favors.. or friends for that matter.

Well that I don't think is entirely true. There are people from money who have friends, there is no reason why there wouldn't be, much like there are people without money with none. As long as he's not a dick there wont be a problem;)

I think Programer is possibly from a small group in society with massive disposable income (well his family anyway) and has friends in a similar situation (the ones that got the new mustangs etc). Basically Ross O'Carroll Kelly from America.

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Well that I don't think is entirely true. There are people from money who have friends, there is no reason why there wouldn't be, much like there are people without money with none. As long as he's not a dick there wont be a problem;)

I think Programer is possibly from a small group in society with massive disposable income (well his family anyway) and has friends in a similar situation (the ones that got the new mustangs etc). Basically Ross O'Carroll Kelly from America.

Thank you. Besides, I wasn't the person who went on about how expensive things are. I merely responded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Programer, the Sebring is a pig ugly car and the 2.4 is only 150bhp. If you insist on a 2.5 y'all have the Ford Focus in the US, how about a Focus ST? Failing that how about a BMW 325 Coupe / Vert?

Might be an idea to start a separate thread on this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement