Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah, I was having an issue with a pattern that I hated but promised to knit for a friend and they basically sent it back to me in plain long hand english, brilliant service. Esp since the pattern was bought in a charity shop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sandymags

So I moved to Saggart last week, and have to my absolute JOY discovered a knitting and crochet mega super store called aimee rose....i have never seen so much wool in my life and have knit 2 hats, a cowl neck scarf a little plushie toy and a teddy in 2 weeks :eek::eek: i'm addicted.
    has anyone been in it before?
    how the feck did I not know this place existed? http://www.knittingcrochetwool.com

• Registered Users Posts: 35 circleskane

Does anyone know of any knitting classes in the Dublin area?
    Not a stitch and bitch but somewhere I can actually be tought how to knit from start?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 circleskane

want to knit a mens hat and found a nice dk in grey. could anyone tell me if this would this be a good wool choice of is there a better option for a mans beanie hat? ..quite the beginner thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭Gormal

Not a stitch and bitch but somewhere I can actually be tought how to knit from start?

If you can't find any classes, there are plenty online tutorials like this One. I taught myself crochet this way last year.
    I use the long tail cast on, having tried the knitted and loop cast on I found this one suited me best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

want to knit a mens hat and found a nice dk in grey. could anyone tell me if this would this be a good wool choice of is there a better option for a mans beanie hat? ..quite the beginner thanks.

Do you have a link to the pattern or a pic?

DK is the easiest yarn to use as you will be able to see where you do your decreasing.

But, it will take a while to knit up. You're probably looking at 100 rows start to finish. While using a chunky you'd be doing about 70 rows. As your a learner, you'd have to buy a different pattern, if you've already bought a pattern for use with DK.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    As your a learner, you'd have to buy a different pattern, if you've already bought a pattern for use with DK.

Or get a free one online at Ravelry.com ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I bought wool, knitting needles & a pattern today - so going to do my first knitting in 20 years :D

I don't think I was ever able to put up stitches so youtube is going to be my friend here. Although I have knitted jumpers and all kinds of stuff in the past but that was a long time ago.

I am going to start off with a scarf :o Start small and all that... Wish me luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Look at this... This girl is good and should teach you how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sylviac

any Skylander knitting patterns

• Advertisement

sylviac wrote: »
    any Skylander knitting patterns

Any particular one/ what size/yarn? I might be able to help if you can't find any

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sylviac

anything you can find for me please. Ive two boys who are mad into them. Thanks a mill

sylviac wrote: »
    anything you can find for me please. Ive two boys who are mad into them. Thanks a mill

I've pm'ed you about the charts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

So its my first time knitting something that needs a gauge! The pattern calls for 7 stitches every 2 inches, and my swatch is 9 stitches per 2 inches.

Do I go up or down in needle size?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

So its my first time knitting something that needs a gauge! The pattern calls for 7 stitches every 2 inches, and my swatch is 9 stitches per 2 inches.

Do I go up or down in needle size?

Up! :)

Knit extra stitches and extra rows so you can get a good measure of how the fabric will turn out. If it's got some wool content in it, I'd wash it on the wool cycle in your machine to allow for any shrinkage and take that into account too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Hey everyone,
    I'm having a bit of a problem reading a pattern for a sleeve on a baby cardigan. I was wondering if anyone could help me dechiper it. The part of the pattern i'm stuck on reads as follows: shaping sides by inc 1 st at each end of 3rd and 5 foll 4th rows, then on every foll 6th row until there are 49 sts.
    I'm not exactly new to knitting but it has been awhile. It's the "5 foll 4th rows" that has me a bit confused. Oh and i've only put in the numbers which apply to the size i need.
    Any help is appreciated thanks a mil.

increase on the 4th row after the last increase (which was the 3rd row) then on the 4th row after that until you have done this 5 times so you will have worked 20 rows in total for the increases indicated for the "5 foll 4th rows".

I hope that makes sense? Basically you are increasing every 4th row 5 times.

Thanks a million gormal. It's the first pattern i've come across that's not had either x/times when i'm supposed to repeat it. Trying to figure out what should have been beside the five was doing my head in lol.

And now that i've just reread the pattern with your explaination it's as obvious as the nose on my face. *facepalm moment*

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cailinailinn

Hi I am desperately looking to source a pattern for an Aran sweater with a hood for a man have tried e bay, Sirdar, Patons any ideas please

• Advertisement

Desperately trying to source knitting pattern for mans aran sweater with hood have tried sirdar, patons, ebay etc any ideas please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Hi I am desperately looking to source a pattern for an Aran sweater with a hood for a man have tried e bay, Sirdar, Patons any ideas please

Have you tried www.ravelry.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Susie564

I have Patons book 3737 which has 28 patterns for Aran - a mixture of Ladies, Mens and Kids. They're very plain but there is a mans sweater in it with hood, along with other variations. I'm not sure if you can get them in single patterns or not. The book was €8.

Thanks sooo much I will try to get that pattern book

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Thanks sooo much I will try to get that pattern book
    As cofy said already check out WWW.raveley.com. great resource millions of patterns reliable for online purchases. &you can get advice from either the designer or the community if your stuck understand the pattern!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Longford Lass

Hi guys.
    Bit of a cheapskate here I know but I'm looking for your suggestions on where the cheapest place might be to source some wool.
    I'm looking for some of the Can Can/Loopy etc for scarf making.
    Would obviously prefer to support local or at least Irish if they're reasonable competitive but please feel free to post some other suppliers too.
    Cheers folks xx

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dodo45

Hi I'm fairly new to this site. I've recently started knitting again, after many years. At the moment I'm trying to finish a sweater, which I started a long time ago and have run out of wool. I need 2 balls of Patons Diploma Gold DK 6197 to finish the second sleeve. I've tried ebay over the past few weeks, with no results. I wonder, is there anyone out there who can help me? I just can't start anything else till I get this sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dodo45

Hi I'm fairly new to this site. I've recently taken up knitting again, after many years. I'm trying to finish a sweater, which I started a long time ago and I've run out of wool. I need 2 balls of Patons Diploma Gold DK 6197 to finish the second sleeve. I've tried ebay, over the past few weeks, with no results. I can't start anything new, till I get this sorted. I wonder, is there anyone out there that can help me with this quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

http://www.purplelindacrafts.co.uk/patons-diploma-gold-dk-yarn-navy-6167-6197-p.asp

Shipping is a little expensive but ...

Hopefully the colour will not be too different (batches can vary).
    Best of luck with your search.
    V

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'm planning on doing my first bit of knitting tonight. I've been watching these youtube videos. I plan on making [url=
    http://creativeyarn.blogspot.ie/2008/01/emerald-greenhandwarmer.html]this pair of gloves[/url] (from an Irish site which is a bit of a coincidence.) I think I have it clear but where it says on the moss stitch,
    Abbreviations:
    k = knit
    p = purl
    st/sts = stitch/stitches

Moss stitch:
    Row1: *k1,p1*
    Row2: *p1,k1*

Does that mean knit a normal knit stitch and the a purl stitch right next to it?

Advertisement