Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I am also a fairly new knitter, so my tip is for anything on a pattern you don't fully get, type it into Youtube :P I don't know the moss stitch so I found you a video on it. You can learn everything.

Hope it helps, if not maybe a better knitter will come on the thread with actual advice :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I'm planning on doing my first bit of knitting tonight. I've been watching these youtube videos. I plan on making [url=
    http://creativeyarn.blogspot.ie/2008/01/emerald-greenhandwarmer.html]this pair of gloves[/url] (from an Irish site which is a bit of a coincidence.) I think I have it clear but where it says on the moss stitch,

Does that mean knit a normal knit stitch and the a purl stitch right next to it?

Yes.

All you have to remember is to bring your working yarn around to the correct side (ie, if you're going to knit, it should be behind, purl, in front) prior to making each stitch. It's annoying to begin with but you get into a rhythm. If you don't you'll be picking up random stitches all over the shop or have holes in your piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Yes.

All you have to remember is to bring your working yarn around to the correct side (ie, if you're going to knit, it should be behind, purl, in front) prior to making each stitch. It's annoying to begin with but you get into a rhythm. If you don't you'll be picking up random stitches all over the shop or have holes in your piece.

Thanks.

I seemed to have been a bit ahead of myself, though. I've been able to get the first row onto the needle, but the actual knitting bit is still hard, most I've managed is about three or four stitches before I pull everything off or it goes awry.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Thanks.

I seemed to have been a bit ahead of myself, though. I've been able to get the first row onto the needle, but the actual knitting bit is still hard, most I've managed is about three or four stitches before I pull everything off or it goes awry.

Try some different cast on techniques. Some are easier to knit from than others. I like the "long tail" the only downside being that you need to make sure your 'tail' is long enough. I do 2cm per stitch I need to cast on.

Check out youtube. I learned all my knitting from youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Hi guys.
    Bit of a cheapskate here I know but I'm looking for your suggestions on where the cheapest place might be to source some wool.
    I'm looking for some of the Can Can/Loopy etc for scarf making.
    Would obviously prefer to support local or at least Irish if they're reasonable competitive but please feel free to post some other suppliers too.
    Cheers folks xx

Where are you?

Obviously bricks and mortar shops will save you shipping, but online you have:

https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&ie=UTF-8#q=buy+wool+online&hl=en&prmd=imvnsfd&source=lnt&tbs=ctr:countryIE&cr=countryIE&sa=X&ei=vMueUJOoL4iHhQfx5YCABw&sqi=2&ved=0CBQQpwUoAQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=3532422783684789&bpcl=38093640&ion=1&biw=1280&bih=675

Most are around the same price, its just shipping that differs.

Further afield you have http://www.yarn-paradise.com/

But the shipping is very high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

I just ordered online today from "deramores" in UK. Prices were displayed in euro and shipping is free on orders of €50 or more. I needed enough yarn to do a crochet tartan rug so my order came out at €53 but even if it had been for less, the shipping is €5.95 and honestly, I have paid FAR, FAR more in the past. Their prices seemed very good and the choice of brand and colour is huge. Just mentioning it in case it's of use to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Further afield you have http://www.yarn-paradise.com/

But the shipping is very high.

I need some super chunky wool - but I don't know which of the products is super-chunky :o I am looking at the yarn tags on the website - which one would be closest? There is a Bulky, Super Bulky & a Winter Yarn.

The Super Bulky looks closest to me: http://www.yarn-paradise.com/alpine What do ye think?

This is the Bulky: http://www.yarn-paradise.com/alpaca_bulky To be honest - this looks very thick to me also.

The patterns I will be following are using 10mm needles

Thanks.

This is the video I used on youtube to learn how to do it again:

I think she is very good. I learnt how to knit as a child but had everything forgotten.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I need some super chunky wool - but I don't know which of the products is super-chunky :o I am looking at the yarn tags on the website - which one would be closest? There is a Bulky, Super Bulky & a Winter Yarn.

The Super Bulky looks closest to me: http://www.yarn-paradise.com/alpine What do ye think?

This is the Bulky: http://www.yarn-paradise.com/alpaca_bulky To be honest - this looks very thick to me also.

The patterns I will be following are using 10mm needles

Always go by the picture showing a strand of the yarn and the suggested needle size. The first yarn shows a 9mm needle, so I thing that would be fine with you pattern.

The second is only suggested for 6 mm, much too thin.

If you're anywhere near Tramore in Co, Waterford, theres a wool shop there that does bulky yarn for a pittance. ie €3.99 per 100g.

I usually use 15mm plus needles.

Always go by the picture showing a strand of the yarn and the suggested needle size. The first yarn shows a 9mm needle, so I thing that would be fine with you pattern.

The second is only suggested for 6 mm, much too thin.

If you're anywhere near Tramore in Co, Waterford, theres a wool shop there that does bulky yarn for a pittance. ie €3.99 per 100g.

I usually use 15mm plus needles.

Thanks for the info. Blooming heck the cost of shipping for that site is huge - 90 euro worth of yarn, and 70 euro for shipping :eek:

It is probably still cheaper though than buying wool over here. The bargain wool is so cheap. Might take a look again later on with fresh eyes and fill the shopping cart again.

• Advertisement

Not really, not for synthetics, local shops are probably better. Theres a place mentioned on this thread in an industrial estate in Dublin thats great value.

But I find the 100% wool/ merino / cashmere is very good value

Not really, not for synthetics, local shops are probably better. Theres a place mentioned on this thread in an industrial estate in Dublin thats great value.

But I find the 100% wool/ merino / cashmere is very good value

I am after buying a few different bits of wool on Ebay - will be interesting to see next week what the wool will be like. Got some good bargain though on some of it.

I bought some of the Japanese Noro wool - I am really looking forward to knitting with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Wow, I never heard that but I just did a few rows of baby socks and it works fine. Much easier than the 4 open ended needles.

My 4mm circular needles are the stiffest ones so I'll steep them in hot water before I knit the other sock! You really need them to be very flexible.

I had not hear of soaking needles.
    Are they bamboo?
    Im having trouble with a set I bought recently off Amazon.co.uk, the plastic at the needle end keeps snapping and I've had to cut parts off and re-glue them a few times. Would soaking help stop this from happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 WWLDD

Hi guys,

I want to get my mother the sarah lund jumper from the killing.. but the bloody thing costs 280 Euro online! http://www.sarahlundsweater.com/buyone.html

Can anyone suggest where I can get this jumper knitted for me?
    I have researched the full pattern and all materials required.. I just cannot knit myself! I can provide these if required and will pay someone to do this for me?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PremierMoment

Hi there,

There is a knit group that join in Crumlin library, some of them are really expert and maybe they will be happy to do it for you.

I'll look them up, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭briscotti

Hi all! I am working on a sweater pattern by Tivoli. The front side is going well but I would like to take a break from that piece and begin to work on the sleeves on seperate needles.

I am confused by one part of it and was hoping someone here may be able to offer me some advice / help on how to do this bit? I have written it out below and marked what I am ok with in green, and the bit I don't understand in red. I would be very greatful for any help and thank anyone who can help greatly in advance :)

With 7mm needles cast on 31 stitches and K8rs
    Change to 8mm needles and wk as follows:

Row 1: (RSF) Knit to end.
    Row 2: Purl to end.

Then the bit I don't understand / Can't get my head around:

Rep the last 2rs AT THE SAME TIME inc 1 st at each end of the next row and every foll 4th and 6th row alternatively until 51sts working inc sts into st.st.

WWLDD wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I want to get my mother the sarah lund jumper from the killing.. but the bloody thing costs 280 Euro online! http://www.sarahlundsweater.com/buyone.html

Can anyone suggest where I can get this jumper knitted for me?
    I have researched the full pattern and all materials required.. I just cannot knit myself! I can provide these if required and will pay someone to do this for me?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

I know someone who knit this up.
    I can ask her on Thursday if she would be interested though I have a feling she has a LOT of projects on at the moment.
    No harm in asking though!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

Ok it means keep knitting one row plain one purl, that is your background pattern and when the first two rows are done, on the next row increase one stitch at each end of it, then again after three more rows so you are doing it on the next fourth row. Then knit 5 rows as normal and increase again on the sixth, then back again to increasing on the fourth row. It's a bit awkward to keep track of, you will increasing on 10 rows in total alternating between doing it with 3 rows and 5 rows between increases.

I am sure that is as clear as mud! (I just happened on this forum, I have never posted here before so am not familiar with your level of knowledge on knitting so excuse me if I have assumed too much or too little knowledge on your part :)

phormium wrote: »
    Ok it means keep knitting one row plain one purl, that is your background pattern and when the first two rows are done, on the next row increase one stitch at each end of it, then again after three more rows so you are doing it on the next fourth row. Then knit 5 rows as normal and increase again on the sixth, then back again to increasing on the fourth row. It's a bit awkward to keep track of, you will increasing on 10 rows in total alternating between doing it with 3 rows and 5 rows between increases.

I am sure that is as clear as mud! (I just happened on this forum, I have never posted here before so am not familiar with your level of knowledge on knitting so excuse me if I have assumed too much or too little knowledge on your part :)

Thank you so much for getting back to me :-) Perfect timing too, i'm just at that point now - here goes nothing!...knitting??

• Advertisement

Thanks Briscotti! Let me know if your friend has the time for this project!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I've recently started knitting having not done so since I was a child! :) Now I've made 4 hats which I am very proud of (will put in other thread in a min) but I may be over my head with the current pattern.

I don't think that there's anything too complicated in this pattern but I can't actually figure out what it means coz of how it's written so any help is greatly appreciated! It's point three that I'm stuck on!

* Using provisional cast on method cast on 146 stitches.
    * Work 10 rows stocking stitch.
    * Increase 1 stitch at the beginning of this row, then every 16 rows twice, every 6 rows twice, every other row 2 times as follows: work 2 sts, m1, work to end- 154 stitches.

In fact looking down further through the pattern it's going to be difficult because of the chatty style it's written in! :( I wouldn't mind but I bought this book specifically for this pattern! Thanks guys!

* Using provisional cast on method cast on 146 stitches.
    * Work 10 rows stocking stitch.
    * Increase 1 stitch at the beginning of this row, then every 16 rows twice, every 6 rows twice, every other row 2 times as follows: work 2 sts, m1, work to end- 154 stitches.

Cast on using a crochet hook (really easy, makes a lovely edge for the hat)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3J-sUx_whE

do 10 rows of purl

Next row (row 11) , knit or purl 2 sts, then make 1 stitch then knit till end.

Do this on row 27 and then row 43

and then on row 49 and then row 55

and then on row 57 and 59

you should have 154 stitches after all this.

Thats the best I can make of it, though I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

[/QUOTE]

At the 11th row, increase by one stich at the beginning of the row by knitting 2 stiches, make 1, and work to the end of the row.
    You do this every 16 rows twice, then every 6 rows twice, then every 2 rows using the same technique.

Hope this helps
    v

Thanks a million guys! :)

I'm having trouble with my 2.5mm circular bamboo needle. The cable keeps cracking and breaking at the end of the needle. I have been able to repair it by gluing the end back onto the needle but now the cable is getting to short to hold my project.

Would anyone know where I could pick up another length of cable to attach to the needle ends?

Cheers
    KP

kiwipower wrote: »
    I'm having trouble with my 2.5mm circular bamboo needle. The cable keeps cracking and breaking at the end of the needle. I have been able to repair it by gluing the end back onto the needle but now the cable is getting to short to hold my project.

Would anyone know where I could pick up another length of cable to attach to the needle ends?

Cheers
    KP

I'm afraid I can't help but I've had that same problem with all my bamboo circular needles! :( If it helps try and get a metal one the next time. I think the problem is that the bamboo ones that I've had tend to have a hollow line whereas the metal needles tend to have a solid plastic line and that doesn't break as easily! Any time I looked up getting cable to attach they seemed expensive and when I glued it it just kept breaking so I gave up and got metal ones- no problems since! I think theoretically you could use anything smooth and cable like of the same width or smaller right? Maybe see is there anything available in a DIY shop?

I'm afraid I can't help but I've had that same problem with all my bamboo circular needles! :( If it helps try and get a metal one the next time. I think the problem is that the bamboo ones that I've had tend to have a hollow line whereas the metal needles tend to have a solid plastic line and that doesn't break as easily! Any time I looked up getting cable to attach they seemed expensive and when I glued it it just kept breaking so I gave up and got metal ones- no problems since! I think theoretically you could use anything smooth and cable like of the same width or smaller right? Maybe see is there anything available in a DIY shop?

Thanks mahamageehad,
    I would agree with your theory about the solid versus hollow line. I think when the knitting is in my handbag/backpack the line is being folded and pinched at the end of the bamboo.

Unfortunately I'm three quarters of the way through the body of a 4ply lace jumper, with the sleeves still to go. I cant find 2.5mm metal needles in the west and would also be concerned about changing tensions if I swapped to metal needles now.

Tried one DIY shop in Templemore, in castlebar this evening so going to go craft shop hunting.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

kiwipower wrote: »
    Thanks mahamageehad,
    I would agree with your theory about the solid versus hollow line. I think when the knitting is in my handbag/backpack the line is being folded and pinched at the end of the bamboo.

Unfortunately I'm three quarters of the way through the body of a 4ply lace jumper, with the sleeves still to go. I cant find 2.5mm metal needles in the west and would also be concerned about changing tensions if I swapped to metal needles now.

Tried one DIY shop in Templemore, in castlebar this evening so going to go craft shop hunting.:cool:

Try thisisKnit in Dublin, they have an online shop, where they also sell wooden fixed (and interchangeable) circular needles: http://www.thisisknit.ie/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=355_383_388
    I ordered from them a few weeks back, and delivery to Galway was 2 days, so they're quick...

• Advertisement

Try thisisKnit in Dublin, they have an online shop, where they also sell wooden fixed (and interchangeable) circular needles: http://www.thisisknit.ie/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=355_383_388
    I ordered from them a few weeks back, and delivery to Galway was 2 days, so they're quick...

Thanks greeneyedspirit will check them out when I'm back in Ireland.

On another note

Just flew Dublin to Wellington NZ thru abu duabi singapore & Brisbane. With my 2.5mm cane circular needles sticking out of my handbag. Not a word said by anyone!

Advertisement