Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Red one:
    Yarns suggested: Stitch Nation by Debbie Stoller Full o’ Sheep (1 skein of each color)

Ask in your wool shop for a chunky yarn suitable for size 6mm needles.

I'd go for a 10-20%wool mix with acrylic or viscose, this will still be warm but should not be ichey.

Gauge: 4 stitches and 5.5 rows = 1 inch in stockinette
    Needle size: US 10 – 6.0 mm

This is the needle size you should use to get the size in the pattern.

Sizes available: NB, 6M, 12M, , 2-3, 4-6, child, adult

Denver hat:
    (75% Microdenier Acrylic/25% Merino Wool
    3 oz/85 g, 185 yds/169 m skein):
    #0023 Chocolate Truffle 3oz/85g
    #0021 Peacock 3oz/85g
    One pair US size 10 (6mm) needles for women’s hat

Same yarn and needles would work

One pair US size 11 (8mm) needles for men’s hat
    Bobbins
    Yarn needle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gbarry

hi, i need help again!!

next row - patt 11, p2tog, patt to last 13 sts, p2tog, patt 11. (ok, i get this part, i think)
    work 3 rows patt (guess this means the original patt not the one above)

rep last 4 rows 10 times, (ok hard part now...) then dec row once ... 35 sts, noting to count the yarn over needle and slip st as one st.

cont dec as before inside the 11 sts at each end in every foll alt row 5 times... 25 sts.
    work 1 row

cast off rem sts loosely, noting to work the yarn over needle and slip st as one st

really dont know what i am doing but 3/4 the way there because of ye guys!! thanks in advance!!

Originally Posted by gbarry
    hi, i need help again!!

OK so you start with 59 stitches and you 3/4 the way up an arm of a cardigan.

next row - patt 11, p2tog, patt to last 13 sts, p2tog, patt 11. (ok, i get this part, i think)

Yes, I think so.The p2tog is going to shape the cardigan arm so it will be smaller at the top than the cuff

rep last 4 rows 10 times, (ok hard part now...)

Thats the hard part!!

then dec row once ... 35 sts,

This just means do the row above (knit 11 then p2tog etc)at the end of this row you shoud have 35 stitches, if you dont you have 35 you've prob made a few stitches but treating your yarn overs as real stitches.
    noting to count the yarn over needle and slip st as one st.

cont dec as before inside the 11 sts at each end in every foll alt row 5 times... 25 sts. do the knit 11 p2tog thing again, then do this every 2nd row until you only have 25 stitches left on the needle.
    work 1 row

cast off rem sts loosely, noting to work the yarn over needle and slip st as one st

just cast off the stiches left (do you know how to do this?, but dont treat each 'yarn over' as a stitch or else you'll be creating bulk at the crown of the hat.

really dont know what i am doing but 3/4 the way there because of ye guys!! thanks in advance!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gbarry

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    hi, i need help again!!

Yes, I think so.The p2tog is going to shape the cardigan arm so it will be smaller at the top than the cuff

the whole lot of above is confusing me because... when i p2tog it puts me off when i get to the same stitch in the following row! it now does not correspond to the patt!! what do i do???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

Hi, just wondering can anyone suggest a good site/book to learn knitting on? With idiot-proof instructions prefered :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Youtube videos. Seriously! There's loads, it's super helpful. I found it so much easier to watch a video and copy than to read a pattern in a book or article. Just search for "how to knit" in youtube to get started. Everything you'll need to learn later you can look up specifically too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hi, just wondering can anyone suggest a good site/book to learn knitting on? With idiot-proof instructions prefered :)

I love my Ultimate Knitting Bible. The diagrams are so clear and it really teaches you. You can pick it up fairly inexpensively from Amazon. It's a hardback.

Apart from that if I come across something I don't know how to knit I YouTube it. For example I can never remember how to Kitchener stitch something and I do a quick search on YouTube.

gbarry wrote: »
    hi, i need help again!!

the whole lot of above is confusing me because... when i p2tog it puts me off when i get to the same stitch in the following row! it now does not correspond to the patt!! what do i do???

Right I get ya, whats the 'pattern', is it lace or colour blocking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

Yeay, thank you! I'll look up youtube and I'll also look into that book, I like having a hard copy of instructions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of a nice hat pattern that's knit on straight needles? Just quite keen to get started on another project and that's all I have for the moment. Most of the ones I'm coming across are knit on the round.

Also, I'm on ravelry but sometimes I can't see a link for the patterns. Call me an idiot...but does that mean you've to pay for some patterns? I'm at a loss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

Are you allowed to fly with knitting or crochet? I do realise that this was mentioned in the thread a few months ago, but I am asking specifically about travel to the US.

I am traveling with Continental and United Airways to US this week. According to the TSA website, http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm the answer is yes.

I would love to hear the experiences of anyone who has traveled lately and if they were able to knit mid flight. I would be a significant air-rage risk if I'm separated from my knitting or crochet, and dread the thought of long flight and layover without my needles or hook.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Muirgheal wrote: »
    Are you allowed to fly with knitting or crochet? I do realise that this was mentioned in the thread a few months ago, but I am asking specifically about travel to the US.

I am traveling with Continental and United Airways to US this week. According to the TSA website, http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm the answer is yes.

I would love to hear the experiences of anyone who has traveled lately and if they were able to knit mid flight. I would be a significant air-rage risk if I'm separated from my knitting or crochet, and dread the thought of long flight and layover without my needles or hook.

Thanks.

If the airline allows it then yes, you can :D. You might be better off with crochet rather than knitting though if the security people aren't too certain about whether to allow you through with needles. You'll also be less likely to hit other people with your elbows :pac: (those planes can be cramped enough after all).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I am really happy with the progress on my bag, but i've hit a point that i don't understand -

RND 12-19: Work even in patt as est, slipping the 2 corner sts on every other rnd and working the ribbing as est for the side panels on every round

Later rounds just have : work even in patt as est.

In case you need to know the previous round: RND 11: *k2tog, k78, SSK, sl2, (k1,p1) 6 times,k1 p2 k1, (p1,k1) 6 times, sl2 * repeat once

So, there is definitely 2 slipped stitches at each of the corners, that much makes sense.But what does it mean by every other round? What do I do with those stitches on the other other round?

And what does work even as est mean?

Thanks!

It sounds like you just slip the stitch on every alternate row. If you slip the stitches on the first row, just do the pattern as normal on the second, then slip again on the third etc.
    work patt as est means work the pattern as established - so I always just take that to mean follow the pattern that you've created up to that point. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

hi kandr10,
    on the home page in ravelry, you will see along the top a series of buttons, for Yarns, People, Groups, Forums and Patterns, etc.
    press Patterns and you will be taken to the pattern search page, where you can specify your search options and there are hundreds if not thousands of patterns available, and one of the filters for the search allows you to choose Free Patterns of you so wish,
    eg i just did a pattern search for the word Hat and i got 20,000 results, yes 20 thousand hat patterns, of which 8,000 were free....
    so that's pretty good isn't it for a website which is free to join?
    i think so anyway,
    i am fairly addicted to Ravelry!!!
    regards
    d
    any more questions, just holler!!!!:)

It sounds like you just slip the stitch on every alternate row. If you slip the stitches on the first row, just do the pattern as normal on the second, then slip again on the third etc.
    work patt as est means work the pattern as established - so I always just take that to mean follow the pattern that you've created up to that point. Hope that helps.

Thanks, that's a great help! So, on the non slip rows, i am just knitting the stitches that i would normally slip. It starting to look really nice, and at the rate i'm going, i'll be finished over the weekend. Woop woop!

So... i am already thinking of the next project: i want to knit a baby blanket.

But a lot of the wool i like is double knit thickness, is it ok to knit a double knit yarn on a single knit pattern?

Kash wrote: »
    Thanks, that's a great help! So, on the non slip rows, i am just knitting the stitches that i would normally slip. It starting to look really nice, and at the rate i'm going, i'll be finished over the weekend. Woop woop!

So... i am already thinking of the next project: i want to knit a baby blanket.

But a lot of the wool i like is double knit thickness, is it ok to knit a double knit yarn on a single knit pattern?

Single yarn? Double Knit is just 8 ply, anything I have knitted with it has been using a single strand. I know the process of double knitting is kind of like tubular knitting (or something, it's one of the things I haven't learned yet).

Do you have a pattern in mind?

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Do you have a pattern in mind?

No, not yet - I was going to have a look on ravelry.
    Is there one you would recommend?

Kash wrote: »
    No, not yet - I was going to have a look on ravelry.
    Is there one you would recommend?

There are so many. I love knitting lace blankets personally as I find it interesting. Knitting a big plain rectangle can get boring. You can filter on there for DK yarn if that's what you intend on using.

The last few I knitted were from a Sirdar Baby Blanket book.

Try these for baby blankets. I like the stuff from the tlc website, I've done quite a few of the baby things.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/free-knitting-patterns-for-baby-blankets3.htm

This is a nice easy one, really quick to knit up. Although it's a plain stitch it's not that boring to knit cos you're increasing or decreasing on every line and there's something satisfying about that for me anyway :) It's quite pretty cos it's so simple

http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/my_pages/babywear/hkp/028.shtml

• Advertisement

duckling10 wrote: »
    hi kandr10,
    on the home page in ravelry, you will see along the top a series of buttons, for Yarns, People, Groups, Forums and Patterns, etc.
    press Patterns and you will be taken to the pattern search page, where you can specify your search options and there are hundreds if not thousands of patterns available, and one of the filters for the search allows you to choose Free Patterns of you so wish,
    eg i just did a pattern search for the word Hat and i got 20,000 results, yes 20 thousand hat patterns, of which 8,000 were free....
    so that's pretty good isn't it for a website which is free to join?
    i think so anyway,
    i am fairly addicted to Ravelry!!!
    regards
    d
    any more questions, just holler!!!!:)

Thanks for that! I actually didn't notice the 'free pattern' tab so a lot of the ones that I stored to my notebook thingy weren't!

This will be my first project knitting on the round so I have a perhaps dumb question....
    When I went to hickeys to buy a circular needle, they were all the same length but the thickness of the needles were different. I have the right mm size but does it matter if my needles are slightly longer than specified? Like twice the length? Should you have shorter circulars for knitting say a hat compared to knitting a jumper?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Hello,

One thing I find curious about the current revival in knitting is how many people knit in sythetics, blends or superwash wool. Considering the time and effort that goes into knitting why don't knitters go for natural fibres? Or non-chemically treated yarns? Super-waqsh for instane is IMO a waste of time as it sags, the treatment used on the wool to make it machine washable destroys the elasticity of the fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭beeftotheheels

ladhrann wrote: »
    Hello,

One thing I find curious about the current revival in knitting is how many people knit in sythetics, blends or superwash wool. Considering the time and effort that goes into knitting why don't knitters go for natural fibres? Or non-chemically treated yarns? Super-waqsh for instane is IMO a waste of time as it sags, the treatment used on the wool to make it machine washable destroys the elasticity of the fibre.

I'm with you in terms of natural fabrics (or at least very, very soft ones) but the older knitters around me like my Mam and Aunts are acrylic all the way ("because you can throw it in the machine"). Then again they've been knitting for centuries between them and started in an era where a home knit sweater was the norm and certainly not a luxury, and the introduction of acrylic yarns were a luxury because you could throw them in the machine...

I use machine washable for baby clothes. You need to be able to throw it in the machine with all their various emissions.

Blends are much nicer these days as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

I'm with you in terms of natural fabrics (or at least very, very soft ones) but the older knitters around me like my Mam and Aunts are acrylic all the way ("because you can throw it in the machine"). Then again they've been knitting for centuries between them and started in an era where a home knit sweater was the norm and certainly not a luxury, and the introduction of acrylic yarns were a luxury because you could throw them in the machine...

I can understand why you'd go for very soft fibres if you were wearing it next to your skin, but for jumpers, scarves, hats etc. they're all worn over a vest/shirt, hair and so on. The knitter I know, my Aunt for instance, when she agreed to knit me a Guernsey made me go off and research and buy the yarn myself. It was her way of making me appreciate the craft from first principles I think. So I'd to go and track down 5 ply worsted wool in England for my jumper. I've had it for 5 years, never been washed!!

I partially agree. I bought loads of acrylic about 10 years ago but the more clothing I made and wore to death the more I looked for something more hard wearing. If knitting for myself I knit in a mix (min 25% wool), but itchy wool doesnt bother me. If its for a baby I usually use cotton. It seems to last longer but chocolate is its enemy!

If knitting for someone else, I get them to buy the wool and they always come back with acrylic. None knitter dont usually realise how expensive it is to buy wool for a sweater compared to buying one in Dunnes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Knitting in pure wool is so very expensive, especially if your doing any cabling - it uses up so much yarn compared with flat surfaces patterns.

Baggyness is real problem from acrylic washes - but thats probably because we bung these in the machine as compared to handwashing wool!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hiya guys, just wondering if there is any online shops that sells can can wool. Having a problem finding it.

Anyone know of an easyish aran cardigan or sweater for a child. I can do most of the stitches but the patterns my grandmother has written down are too complicated, she could do them with her eyes closed and immediately knew if she went wrong.

I usually end up with 2 non symmetrical sides to a cardigan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I usually end up with 2 non symmetrical sides to a cardigan!

Have you ever though of knitting the two sides at the same time. I do this all the time when I am knitting sleeves?

I am currently knitting a jumper for a 2 to 3 year old. I have typed out the pattern, I hope to have it finished in the next 5 days, so I will be able to put a picture with the pattern, if you are interested.

Advertisement