Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Hi folks! So excited to find knitters on boards :)

Ok I've a question. I got Kate Davies' Colours of Shetland book for christmas and the wool to make one of the items in it, really nice wool and pattern, and I really want to do it justice. The items are knitted on circular needles. I have a set of Denise Interchangables but they start at 3.75mm.. all the patterns in the book which I'm looking at knitting call for 2.5-3mm needles of various lengths. For the two jumpers I'm looking at knitting, it would involve the purchase of 6 new circs and possibly a couple of sets of DPNs! Do any of the interchangeables work in those smaller sizes, or do I just need to go ahead and suck it up and buy a wad of new single size circular needles?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bluemetwo

I'm looking for a free online pattern to knit an Aran dress for a 6-7 year old. Does anyone have a link to one. I don't need a list of sites with free patterns, I can find them myself. Just wondering if anyone knows of a pattern without me having to search through sites. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bluemetwo

Thanks, that looks a nice one. Am gonna be knitting it for someone elses daughter so will see if she likes it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Pandalaura

Hi there,
    I am knitting a doll from jean greenhowes traditional favourites knitting patterns, but unfortunately the section I need next has been made illegible. Im wondering if anyone knows the section for basic sleeves in this book?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 contrary

Pandalaura wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I am knitting a doll from jean greenhowes traditional favourites knitting patterns, but unfortunately the section I need next has been made illegible. Im wondering if anyone knows the section for basic sleeves in this book?

thanks
    I have that if you want to pm

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Can anyone recommend a good chunky wool to felt with - I have a pattern for a bag and want to try felting.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

aknitter wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good chunky wool to felt with - I have a pattern for a bag and want to try felting.
    Thanks

Do you not need special felting wool no? I have 4 50g balls of black felting wool here and not a notion what to do with it!

The pattern I have in mind is uses an American Lionbrand yarn thats 50% wool and 50% acrylic(can't go buying in more for the minute just had 3 balls of a silk/cashmere blend arrive from Hong Kong DH is convinced my stash is like the tribbles from Star Trek!).
    From what I've read it seems that any 100% wool yarn that has not been treated so its machine washable should felt. And you know yourself some will work out better than others

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭Gormal

bluemetwo wrote: »
    I'm looking for a free online pattern to knit an Aran dress for a 6-7 year old. Does anyone have a link to one. I don't need a list of sites with free patterns, I can find them myself. Just wondering if anyone knows of a pattern without me having to search through sites. Thanks in advance.

I know this is a tunic, but you could add length to make a dress, it's sort of a-line. If you'd like the pattern pm me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

The pattern I have in mind is uses an American Lionbrand yarn thats 50% wool and 50% acrylic(can't go buying in more for the minute just had 3 balls of a silk/cashmere blend arrive from Hong Kong DH is convinced my stash is like the tribbles from Star Trek!).
    From what I've read it seems that any 100% wool yarn that has not been treated so its machine washable should felt. And you know yourself some will work out better than others

The Lionbrand do 100% wool that felts really well, maybe too well, so you need to take that into account for sizes etc.
    The 50/50 doesn't felt at all.
    I tend to stock up when I'm in the States, or have family send some home!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭Gormal

In relation to felting. how much does it shrink or do you swatch a piece first?

I've some 100% handspun scottish yarn hand that my mum gave me and have been wondering how to use it. I had bought yarn before, but after I noticed it was 'superwash' coated *sigh*, so never felted it but made some slippers all the same.

Gormal wrote: »
    In relation to felting. how much does it shrink or do you swatch a piece first?

I've some 100% handspun scottish yarn hand that my mum gave me and have been wondering how to use it, I had bought yarn before but after I noticed it was 'superwash' coated sigh, so never felted it but made some slippers all the same.

In my experience the shrinkage varies from brand to brand, so it's hard to tell. Only 100% wool, hand wash only felts.

I suppose a swatch is the way to go but I think it would be such a waste to put on the washing machine for a swatch - I have no intention of hand felting! :)

I suppose a swatch is the way to go but I think it would be such a waste to put on the washing machine for a swatch - I have no intention of hand felting! :)

Just put the swatch in when you are next doing a load of laundry, it doesn't have to be a hot wash, just don't use fabric softener, or washing detergent that has a fabric softener in it.

Ah good idea, will go that thanks Neadine, half my washes are done with out fabric softner anyway as my son is allergic. On to swatching!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Hi there
    I'm looking to get some hats made up from scratch and wonder is there any companies out there that can do this?
    Talking 100 plus?

Neadine thanks for that - just felted a swatch and its turned out great - didn't shrink as much as I thought it would.
    In the end I went to my local yarn shop and bought a yarn they recommended Rosarios 4 50 gram ball €2.99 or 2 for €5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Hi there
    I'm looking to get some hats made up from scratch and wonder is there any companies out there that can do this?
    Talking 100 plus?

do you have an example picture of the hat you're looking to be made? or more details on pattern, size, yarn, plain or multi color etc?

I've made this set for my other half last year:
    EoinsHatandfingerlessmittens.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Help :eek:

I'm in the middle of knitting a jumper and having a look at the pattern I have realised that I have made a mistake.

Instead of casting on 72 for the back, I cast on 92.

How do I work out now how many extra stitches to cast on for the arms so they don't look too small for the body of the jumper???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You're probably not going to like this advice. But I would rip it back, straighten out the yarn and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I had a feeling someone would say that :D Yeah you're probably right, can't see any other way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would keep going, knit the sleeves and fit it on a friend that is a similar size to you... I 've made worse mistakes in patterns!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

I would keep going too, so much time invested already that it seems a shame to rip it. For what it's worth, I would look again at the pattern and see if there is another size that is near to the cast on number of stitches of 92. Then continue knitting following the instructions for that size. You may need a few extra balls of yarn but if you bought the yarn recently, it should still be available. If there's a difference in dye lot numbers, do one sleeve in the newer balls and use the original yarn for the rest of the garment. This is just what I would do, because while ripping back is the perfect solution, it's also a great big pain. If the finished garment is way too big for you, someone you love will be thrilled to receive it. Good luck, whichever you do.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Hello Knitters of Boards...newbie on this forum so go easy :)

My brother has just told us that the first grandchild is going to arrive later this year and I would love to make something personal for the baby that I can post over, instead of ordering something from the internet and having it posted to them in the States.

I haven't knit in years - used to do cross stitch and knitting in secondary school, but not since.

Have you any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Hi Morrigan,
    I have to say that's exactly how I got back into knitting too! Did a few things for my niece when she was born and haven't stopped. I used a few patterns from ravelry.com and some sites I'll link below. I later invested in this book http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Book-Baby-Knits/dp/1844009459 and I have to say the patterns are lovely and knit up much nicer than some of the free patterns on the internet. So my advice would be to get a book from the outset.

Here are some good sites though to give you an idea of the kind of thing you could do. I guess it all depends on whether you know the gender. A few cardigans, booties, hats, blankets would never go astray no matter if it's a boy or a girl.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/free-knitting-patterns1.htm

This is a classic for babies and easy enough to knit up. I'm sure there's matching booties and hat patterns out there too.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/5-hour-baby-sweater

Happy knitting!

Kandr10 - thanks so much for that. Definitely a starting point for me.

They are going to find out the sex of the baby, but I think I'd like to give them some gender neutral items so it can be kept and used if they have more babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Kandr10 - thanks so much for that. Definitely a starting point for me.

They are going to find out the sex of the baby, but I think I'd like to give them some gender neutral items so it can be kept and used if they have more babies.

The hand knits do seem to hold better and tend and are more likely to be used again and again:), I am told that they are also cosier than anything shop bought. Cream or beiges are good colours to use for gender neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

That Debbie Bliss book is great, I've done the garter hooded cardi a good few times and its so easy. It takes me about 7 hrs to do and I'm very slow at knitting.

I usually do a cream and white for 'dont know' or blue/pink and cream for genders.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    That Debbie Bliss book is great, I've done the garter hooded cardi a good few times and its so easy. It takes me about 7 hrs to do and I'm very slow at knitting.

I usually do a cream and white for 'dont know' or blue/pink and cream for genders.

I Googled that book and I was disappointed that easons were selling it for twice the price of other online book stores. I will have to wait a few days to get it in the post now :(

Advertisement