Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy Saville exposed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I thought only the catholic church in ireland engaged in child abuse and cover ups?
    why would you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Madam_X wrote: »
    that's a militant catholic way of saying "I told you so"....

ie that most abuse happens outside the church. Although it's missing the point that the church ganged up on victims and covered up it's abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Some similarities were made earlier between rock bands such as the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin indulging in underage sex. That is probably true, but Saville seems to have preyed on young girls on a different scale altogether.

The creep had a bloody caravan in the grounds of a school to enable his abuse. Not saying that the statutory rape of anyone is right (in relation to the bands above), but Savilles apparent systematic and organised abuse of minors was disgusting. The sight of him makes my skin crawl.

I see today his family have knocked his headstone as well to satiate public opinion and any plaques, monuments to him are being taken down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

that's a militant catholic way of saying "I told you so"....

ie that most abuse happens outside the church. Although it's missing the point that the church ganged up on victims and covered up it's abuse.

and the beeb never covered up anything? a secular culture of silence and turning a blind eye methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

and the beeb never covered up anything? a secular culture of silence and turning a blind eye methinks.
    looks they did yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

In my efforts to understand how all this could be possible,
    I posted this on the literature forum
    Jimmy Savile and Tartuffe
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056776637

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jimmy Savile, the late BBC TV star at the centre of a child sex scandal that has shaken Britain's state-funded broadcaster, may have abused up to 25 victims some as young as 13 over four decades

:eek:

How is this only coming out now :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    :eek:

How is this only coming out now :confused:

Thats what a lot of people want to know. Unfortunately thats being confused by some as some sort of defence.

Just an observation, but I just watched the documentary again. Some of the stories dont match. Like the BBC staffer saying she walked in on him kissing a girl, and then later a victim saying "Jimmy didnt do kissing". Then lots of people say they were groped by him, and then other victims say he didnt do any groping it was just sex.

Just an observation, dont flame me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Like the RCC people came forward but were ignored or dismissed off hand?

I dunno. I remember hearing about JS back in the 80s (when I was in school, in Ireland)... should I have phoned the beeb and mentioned the rumours?

There's a lot of rumours I've picked up over the years - I just tend to dismiss this as gossip (mostly) about "celebs"... what now? Who do I tell, without the slightest shred of evidence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

syklops wrote: »
    Just an observation, dont flame me.

Children. One would not have expected them to know the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

gbee wrote: »
    Children. One would not have expected them to know the difference.

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭TheFruitarian

Dismissively sneering "Why did those allegedly abused only come forward after he died?" is thick and ignorant as sh1t.

Nonsense, it is quite understandable.

I don't subscribe to this bull about Jimmy Savilie being too powerful to make complaints of sexual assault against. He was Jimmy Savilie, an almost forgotten about guy who nbody really gave a crap about anymore. I recall the Louis Theroux docu going out and people were saying he came accross quite odd in it and I got zero sense that the public were not willing to hear anything bad said about the guy, on the contary, there was a palpable appetite for such accusations if anything. Call it thick and ignorant if you like, but I call those who fully accept all accusations that are being levelled at the man, foolish and naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Don't know if it's been posted, but his family have removed his gravestone in Scarborough and broken it up for landfill.
    Sir Jimmy Savile's headstone will be broken up and sent to landfill after it was removed late last night.

The elaborate tombstone was removed at midnight after Savile's family requested it be taken away out of "respect to public opinion".

Article

To avoid vandalism presumably.

Nonsense, it is quite understandable.

I don't subscribe to this bull about Jimmy Savilie being too powerful to make complaints of sexual assault against. He was Jimmy Savilie, an almost forgotten about guy who nbody really gave a crap about anymore. I recall the Louis Theroux docu going out and people were saying he came accross quite odd in it and I got zero sense that the public were not willing to hear anything bad said about the guy, on the contary, there was a palpable appetite for such accusations if anything. Call it thick and ignorant if you like, but I call those who fully accept all accusations that are being levelled at the man, foolish and naive.
    Yes, public appetite may have been there for him to be 'outed.' However it seems to be the same thing as with what happened with the Catholic Church here, it's hard for people to come forward particularly with something as taboo as sexual abuse. It takes a lot of bravery for people to come forward and you seem to be totally missing the point. It initially began as a trickle with the RCC and then turned into a tsunami. This is on a totally smaller level however in relation to the numbers, but there may be one or two dodgy allegations too. I dont think anyone here believes every single word that has been alleged, but on the balance there seems to be a vast amount of truth behind them.

There seems to be a good amount of truth in the allegations as the police are taking it very seriously, so i find your dismissing of the victims, and yes you seem to be dismissing the fact that there are victims involved, is fairly disgusting.

Don't care what way you are dressing it up. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

obviously never been to catholic priest run school in england

they did the exact same thing to pupils there
    i reckon i had a lucky escape moving back to ireland

dismissing the fact that there are victims involved, is fairly disgusting.

Don't care what way you are dressing it up. :)

Because I said people are naive if they believe all that has been reported :confused:

Yeah, sure I did. Buy yourself a hula hoop and spin somewhere else.
    There seems to be a good amount of truth in the allegations

"Good amount" is not all and so it is quite reasonable to be cynical about some of the accusations. "Thick and ignorant as sh1t" it certainly is not.

Because I said people are naive if they believe all that has been reported :confused:

Yeah, sure I did. Buy yourself a hula hoop and spin somewhere else.

"Good amount" is not all and so it is quite reasonable to be cynical about some of the accusations. "Thick and ignorant as sh1t" it certainly is not.
    Have you a problem comprehending simple english? :)

No one has said that they believe ALL the allegations, however cynicism is key barrier to the actual victims coming out, and your comments seem to perpetuate that. That type of attitude is the very reason why people havent come forward in the first place before this. Smacks of the the old Irish adage of 'ah shure it'll be grand, the RCC are a great bunch of lads.' :)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I see the police are saying that 13 is the youngest but this story in the sun says he abused a 9 year old and her 11 year old sister.

Are the Jersey allegations being investigated or is it a jurisdiction issue or were the sun making things up. My suspicion is the Jersey abuse will be brushed under the carpet like it was before.

I see the police are saying that 13 is the youngest but this story in the sun says he abused a 9 year old and her 11 year old sister.

Are the Jersey allegations being investigated or is it a jurisdiction issue or were the sun making things up. My suspicion is the Jersey abuse will be brushed under the carpet like it was before.
    I wouldnt think anything will be brushed under the carpet in relation to this now, it's too high profile. The truth will out now either way, however Jim, sadly, won't be around to get fixed.

BOOM!

• Advertisement

Have you a problem comprehending simple english? :)

No, but you sure seem to.
    No one has said that they believe ALL the allegations, however cynicism is key barrier to the actual victims coming out, and your comments seem to perpetuate that.

Perhaps you should take a close look at your own comprehension skills.

To dismiss people sneering at some of what has been reported as: "Thick and ignorant as sh1t" is suggestive that is no ulterior motives behind some of the reports. The user didn't suggest it was understandable to sneer at some of what has been said and so was implying that any user who was "sneering" at any of those that have come forward were "Thick and ignorant as sh1t".

No, but you sure seem to.

Perhaps you should take a close look at your own comprehension skills.

To dismiss people sneering at some of what has been reported as: "Thick and ignorant as sh1t" is suggestive that is no ulterior motives behind some of the reports. The user didn't suggest it was understandable to sneer at some of what has been said and so was implying that any user who was "sneering" at any of those that have come forward were "Thick and ignorant as sh1t".
    I'm strictly commenting on your post, it came across as being against anyone coming forward. I'd be happier if all boy crying wolf cases were fully examined. To be honest i think cynicism inrelation to allegations of these sort should always be frowned upon. Investigation in the majority of cases will see the truth revealed. Very simple really. :)

Especially for alleged fruity nonces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

I wouldnt think anything will be brushed under the carpet in relation to this now, it's too high profile. The truth will out now either way, however Jim, sadly, won't be around to get fixed.

BOOM!

the truth about jimmy will come out

but will it stop there? he had a lot of connections

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I could never warm to him and always wondered why he didn't finally light the feckin' cigar or else get rid of it.:rolleyes:

Since there was never anything about him dating adult women, I just assumed he was a closet-case gay.

I also wonder will someone come up with a new word to suit people like him better than "paedophile".

As I understand it, paedophiles are attracted to prepubescent children, but his penchant seems to have been for girls in the threshold of or earliest stages of womanhood.

Perhaps "lolitaphile"?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I could never warm to him and always wondered why he didn't finally light the feckin' cigar or else get rid of it.:rolleyes:

Since there was never anything about him dating adult women, I just assumed he was a closet-case gay.

I also wonder will someone come up with a new word to suit people like him better than "paedophile".

As I understand it, paedophiles are attracted to prepubescent children, but his penchant seems to have been for girls in the threshold of or earliest stages of womanhood.

Perhaps "lolitaphile"?:confused:
    Already is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebephilia

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephebophilia

I'm strictly commenting on your post, it came across as being against anyone coming forward.

No, you are said was dimissing that there were victims involved and that it it was "disgusting" and I said no such bloody thing, hence the hula hoop remark.

I just don't think those that question the timing of some of those that have come forward should be referred to as: ""Thick and ignorant as sh1t" and I don't buy a lot of the crap that some of those that have come forward and were interviewed have said. I watched the Channel 4 docu and I was not convinced at all by the excuses given for not coming forward earlier. They made no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jlacey

I think we should remember the victims first here? innocent children? glad the charity in his name will change and nice that the family removed headstone today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I watched the Channel 4 docu and I was not convinced at all by the excuses given for not coming forward earlier. They made no sense.

The ITV documentary was more convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Interestingly, a 5 year old audio clip from Irish radio station Newstalk is making headlines accross the pond....where Jimmy Saville claims to know nothing of accusations!

http://news.sky.com/story/995919/jimmy-savile-child-sex-rumours-not-true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

benny hill was never accused of any of that, although he never married.

Advertisement