Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Mulhuddart - Ladyswell new Parnell estate

Options
  • 06-10-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi

We are planning to move to Mulhuddart new Parnell estate. Would like to know if that area is safe?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Have you been there? The immediate area hasnt got a great reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭green123

mulhuddart had one of the worst reputations in dublin.
    some people say its not as bad now as it once was, im sure there will be a few of them along here soon.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055341153

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056161351

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Scruffy Sandra

"Moving to Mulhuddart"

I'd rather be "Loading revolver to temple"

At least the pain would be quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I live in Mulhuddart. Parnell is quiet and lovely. The are some undesirables hanging around the shops where Spar is.

How many of you have actually lived in Mulhuddart to give their opinion on living there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tomi21fl

Is it really that bad????

Estate seems to be quiet, so were the surrounding areas. We drove around a bit.

It cannot be worse than Tallaght and Clondalkin ?

• Advertisement

tomi21fl if you want to PM me with any questions I can give you specific answers about the area. I've lived here for the past 20+ years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Mulhuddart was practically a no-go zone approx 30 years ago.

Okay so it hasn't miraculously turned into the best area in Dublin but it is relatively "grand" now.

Tomi - where are you from originally? or where have you lived previously?
    We can then give you an idea of a comparison to those areas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

tomi21fl wrote: »

It cannot be worse than Tallaght and Clondalkin ?

Personally I would take Mulhuddart over Tallaght & Clondalkin.

IMO better amenities closer to you.
    Plus IMO better public transport.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Unhelpful smart-ass posts are of no use to the OP. Refrain from making them or you may be infracted and/or banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

The Parnell estate is generally quiet in fairness.

Allot of local people have moved in from other estates in Blanchardstown and so it's good a good mix of locals.

The likes of Wellview and Dromheath have reputations, but Parnell has been fine since it was completed to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭babaracus

Dromheath is very dodgy indeed and its residents have caused a lot of trouble for people living in Castlecurragh. There are a few families in Dromheath who are serious criminals. There are an awful lot of hoody wearing teens hanging about the area too.

Parnell might be ok but I wouldn't be keen on being so close to Dromheath and to a much lesser extent Wellview. Ladyswell never had a good rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

January wrote: »
    I live in Mulhuddart. Parnell is quiet and lovely. The are some undesirables hanging around the shops where Spar is.

How many of you have actually lived in Mulhuddart to give their opinion on living there?

Me too. I'm a blow in, been here ten years. It has changed a lot in the time I have been here re anti social behaviour, its nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be.

There are some parts I don't like and never venture in, most parts are fine. Parnell is nice, I walk my dogs there, lots of young families. The only thing that puts me off is the halting site its been built around, its a total disgrace.

Ohhh are you talking about Avondale? There's a site with like 4/5 houses up there, the travellers live there and the new houses are behind that. Parnell is the one down by the roundabout on Ladyswell Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

amdublin wrote: »
    Mulhuddart was practically a no-go zone approx 30 years ago.

Mulhuddart 30 years ago was a little "village" of the pub the Texaco garage where the post office is now and Nelsons shop/shed where the garage is now.
    Wellview wasn't opened nor was Ladyswell (parts of Whitestown closest to the centre were still being built) so how it was a no go area is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I've lived in Mulhuddart 15 years, and have luckily never been robbed or had anything bad happen to us here, apart from the kids bikes being nicked one or twice, and even that was covered by insurance.

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Mulhuddart 30 years ago was a little "village" of the pub the Texaco garage where the post office is now and Nelsons shop/shed where the garage is now.
    Wellview wasn't opened nor was Ladyswell (parts of Whitestown closest to the centre were still being built) so how it was a no go area is beyond me.

Hey did you read the rest of my post I am one of the supporters of muldhuddart!!

One thing I remember when I lived in corduff thirty years ago is the amount of times the bus was pulled off because an incident in muldhuddart.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Ohhh are you talking about Avondale? There's a site with like 4/5 houses up there, the travellers live there and the new houses are behind that. Parnell is the one down by the roundabout on Ladyswell Road.

Sorry!! Yes that's the place I am thinking of. :o

OP I live on the main road there just facing the houses in the Parnell Estate, its a quiet enough area. The Parnell estate is nice, a kids playground, a great little community centre and a few green areas for the kids if you have them. You have the huge field beside the estate which is great for walking or jogging.

The bus stop into and out of town is just outside the estate too so you can commute easily enough.

The only "hassle" we get is at weekends sometimes when people are walking home from clubs/pubs and can be a bit loud. But apart from that its fine. I jog around the area at night and feel safe.

You have a Tesco Express down the road, two Spars, petrol station, chemists, hairdressers etc all within walking distance and Castlecurragh Park is just a walk away, plenty of schools in the area too.

amdublin wrote: »
    Hey did you read the rest of my post I am one of the supporters of muldhuddart!!

One thing I remember when I lived in corduff thirty years ago is the amount of times the bus was pulled off because an incident in muldhuddart.

No probs! I just think your getting your dates mixed up AFAIK the bus (38A) didnt even go to Mulhuddart 30 years ago, The 70 from Dunboyne serviced Mulhuddart and the 38's last stop was Corduff.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

babaracus wrote: »
    Dromheath is very dodgy indeed and its residents have caused a lot of trouble for people living in Castlecurragh. There are a few families in Dromheath who are serious criminals. There are an awful lot of hoody wearing teens hanging about the area too.

Parnell might be ok but I wouldn't be keen on being so close to Dromheath and to a much lesser extent Wellview. Ladyswell never had a good rep.

You need to be very careful when making blanket statements like that.. I have friends living in Dromheath and you could not meet nicer people. Through them I know some of their neighbours again lovely people... YES there is a dodgy element but there are also a great many decent, law abiding, good people.

Eddie

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭babaracus

eddie wrote: »
    You need to be very careful when making blanket statements like that.. I have friends living in Dromheath and you could not meet nicer people. Through them I know some of their neighbours again lovely people... YES there is a dodgy element but there are also a great many decent, law abiding, good people.

Eddie

In fairness I should have said "some of the residents" rather than "the residents" so apologies. Yes there are some good people there without doubt but there is also a large element of troublemakers and some involved in crimes of a lot more serious nature. I wouldn't live in that estate if you paid me. It has a bad rep for 20 years and it is not undeserved. I feel sorry for the good people who live there.

• Advertisement

Majority of posters on this issue haven't spent a week there so your opinion is invalid.
    I've lived there 19 years, no hassle at all in that time. The 20-30 year old criminals have relocated/died and the only hassle now is the 10-13 year olds flying around wellview on their field bikes.
    Parnell is probably as quiet as it comes in Mulhuddart followed closely by Avondale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Joao71

Hello guys.

I'm moving in to Ireland in 22nd January, and I'll be seeing an apartment in Parnell Estate witch seems lovely. As I read through the major of the posts here I can't make up my mind as if I should be worried or not about this area.

I'm going to work in Blanchardtown Corporate Park, can anyone advise me on a good location in that area?

Thank you very much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭ameee

Lived in castlecurragh for a few years found it alright. The kids could play safely on the road with there friends we had some very good neighbours. Car was broken into three times now that could have been as it was an old car with no alarm. There was a bit of a problem with break ins. Its very close to welview which has a very bad reputation. The council have twenty odd houses there empty that no one on the housing list Will take. As for parnell i don't know much about it looks nice and seems quite off on its own so might be ok. No harm asking a local guard what the story is

ameee wrote: »
    Lived in castlecurragh for a few years found it alright. The kids could play safely on the road with there friends we had some very good neighbours. Car was broken into three times now that could have been as it was an old car with no alarm. There was a bit of a problem with break ins. Its very close to welview which has a very bad reputation. The council have twenty odd houses there empty that no one on the housing list Will take. As for parnell i don't know much about it looks nice and seems quite off on its own so might be ok. No harm asking a local guard what the story is
    There are not 20 houses boarded up in Well view.

There are not 20 houses boarded up in Well view.

There is at least 10, I was up there 1 week ago.

7 I think. Can count tomorrow I live in Wellview

Yep, there's 7 now.

Thank you all, I'll keep looking in to gather more info about the area.

I'm from Portugal and I can't go there personally now unfortunately. I'll only have about 3 or 4 days to find an apartment once i get to Dublin and I'm trying to do as much work as I can from here.

Again thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

get an apartment in waterville. close to blanch corporate park. you may need to cycle or use one of the courtesy buses but i personally wouldnt go near mulhudart either. see i cant even spell it.

• Advertisement

get an apartment in waterville. close to blanch corporate park. you may need to cycle or use one of the courtesy buses but i personally wouldnt go near mulhudart either. see i cant even spell it.

LOL, thank you for the advice :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement