Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 10 - Episode 1

• 04-10-2012 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Well folks, the thread is a bit early, but we've been a long time waiting. Absolutely dying to see this tonight.

Rate & discuss what you thought of it :)

Out of ten, ten being the best, what did you think? 42 votes

10 {Best}
    0%
    4%
    liamtechFanadMan 2 votes
    0%
    38%
    Diddy KongRoaralastair_doomYeatsCountybad2daboneArmaniJeanssLcherryghostAlan70[Deleted User]kingofslavesdownwithpeacejaykhunterkylithMeesaredgufnork 16 votes
    33%
    petesMickerooOdaise GaelachdegrassinoelJimoslimosMyrddinMugMugsBraziliaNZwylojaykay74brianymuchachosteve_rG.K. 14 votes
    5 {Average}
    21%
    Sir Digby Chicken CaesarghostchantDozen Wicked WordsPyeContinentalMoist BreadpaddywroksBuford TannenAllround Predatordonegal_man 9 votes
    2%
    James74 1 vote
    0%
    0%
    1 {Poor}
    0%

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

5 {Average}
    so far it's very ... red dwarf

it's like classic red dwarf, seems.. genuine where the latter seasons and ... that special seemed forced

still not great though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm not watching it right now but will stream it later on. Not expecting anything fantastic but so long as it's true to the programme's beginnings, I'll be happy enough. That's something VII, VIII and BTE really messed up on.

5 {Average}
    that was actually alright

nowhere near as good as classic dwarf but still... pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I thought it was as good as the older ones!

Ye can see the age on them all, but it's good to see them all back in the red :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah, at first I thought it was a bit ho-hum but as it went on I started to enjoy it. Most of the laughs were coming from Rimmer and Kryten for me. Definitely felt more like old Red Dwarf though. Liked the
    Rimmer munchkin song
    kicking in there near the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Classic red dwarf imo, first episode was always gonna be shaky cause of the emphasis on the characters but they didn't over do anything, after 10 mins I forgot I was watching a new episode.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ye can see the age on them all, but it's good to see them all back in the red :)

First think I noticed was that Kryten seems to have developed a beer belly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Enjoyed it myself. Lot better than the last season or two with Kochanski and the god-awful movie

Will be tuning in next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'll admit I wasn't too impressed at the beginning maybe because I heard the why was the moose driving the car type line before. But I think I really started laughing at it when they could all answer Rimmer's question, even Cat. :D

I thought holograms couldn't be hurt like that.

Who's waiting for a new series of Brittas Empire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Excellent start to the new series. Rimmer was always one of the funniest anyway. Like the look of the new computer(holly mark phwoar). Am really looking forward to more of the same. Very good start!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Not quite a return to past glories but entertaining nonetheless. A definite improvement on Back to Earth (maybe that was the point - lower expectations)

6.5, perhaps 7 - will watch again.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    I thought holograms couldn't be hurt like that.
    Hard-light hologram?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I actually really enjoyed that, felt really like classic dwarf, not perfect of course, but colour me optimistic for the rest of the series! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I'd second the sentiment expressed by others here.

Quite enjoyable overall. Irreverent and witty in parts. Only criticism would be the very budget looking cgi and special effects.

briany wrote: »
    Quite enjoyable overall. Irreverent and witty in parts. Only criticism would be the very budget looking cgi and special effects.
    I like that though Back to Earth didnt feel like Dwarf, because it had too many high tech looking CGI scenes, the low rent CGI makes it feel more like Dwarf

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Not quite a return to past glories but entertaining nonetheless. A definite improvement on Back to Earth (maybe that was the point - lower expectations)

6.5, perhaps 7 - will watch again.

Hard-light hologram?

Soft light couldn't touch anything then hard light couldn't be hurt. Remember trying to knock Rimmer ut in the Legion episode?

And when Cat said the line about slower than the speed of dark, I just thought that Neverending Story taught me the speed of dark is faster than the speed of light. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

Soft light couldn't touch anything then hard light couldn't be hurt. Remember trying to knock Rimmer ut in the Legion episode?

And when Cat said the line about slower than the speed of dark, I just thought that Neverending Story taught me the speed of dark is faster than the speed of light. :)

I suppose it does stretch the near-invulnerability suggested by Legion but Ace Rimmer was killed by a bullet to the light bee in a similar manner so it's not without precedent. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Ah yes, you know your RD. I was thinking of something along the lines of a holowhip like in Demons and angels (Series 5) or what Lister threatens the scout from the Holoship in the same series. Pretty sure that could inflict pain on a hologram - soft or hard light.

Meesared wrote: »
    I like that though Back to Earth didnt feel like Dwarf, because it had too many high tech looking CGI scenes, the low rent CGI makes it feel more like Dwarf

I didn't see much hi-tech CGI on Back to Earth that I can remember. I think it was about the same standard as we see here but CGI backgrounds and models of high or low tech don't have much place on Red Dwarf in my opinion. It's either too much 'sheen' or just simply lacking in detail or character and don't really look they're part of the environment. The older method of animatronics, props and scale models but of a 21st century standard would have been better for certain things but would probably cost a fair bit more too in money and time so it's understandable why things are more CGI based.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Quite enjoyed it - not a laugh riot or anything (I've been spoiled by The Thick of It recently), but a few deserved chuckles like Kryten and Rimmer's first conversation or the moose segment. It certainly felt like classic Dwarf, much more so than anything since Series 6.

The effects seemed a strange mix between models and CGI, and IMO weren't particularly effective, especially when it came to scale and movement. The model only stuff of the first few seasons was perfect, shame they've semi-scrapped it. Still looks a helluva lot better than the remastered series or later original episodes. Other than that the only major problem I had with it was the actress playing that synthetic character - her robotic performance was almost too robotic :pac:

• Advertisement

Some great lines, had to laugh at the moose joke, especially when Cat just jumped in before Rimmer had finished the question :)
    I really enjoyed the episode, much more than I thought I would.

But is there supposed to be any continuity between Season 8 and this (I'm ignoring the Back to Earth season)?

All I could think about was is that the blue / original Rimmer from Season 7 before he left to become Ace and where did they get the Dwarf? Is it the nano-constructed one from Season 8 or did they find the original?

Probably not supposed to think about it but it irritated me through the episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭steve_r

Thought it had a slow start but it picked up a lot in the second half.

The moose joke didn't work for me initially but when they brought it back in later it really paid off.

The story itself was the usual Rimmer fare and I'm always happy to see that.

I gave it a seven overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. As someone said above, it felt like classic Red Dwarf & after a few mins I forgot I was watching a new episode. Put the youthful looking actors into that episode, & it could easily have been something out of Season 5 or 6.

Definitely impressed & now hopeful for the rest of the season. The effects I found didn't distract me too much as in BTE & VIII, possibly because they wern't used that much - but thats a good thing! Red Dwarf was never about expensive space scenes, it was about Rimmer, Lister, Kryten & Cat hanging out in close quarters having a laugh...& thats exactly what we got!

I wonder will they touch on how it ended in Season VIII. Noticed the Rimmer munchkin song too & thought it was a sweet touch.

Hard to rate it really the more I think of it, what are we rating it against. My scale would be something like this:

Back to Reality - 10
    Duct Soup - 5
    Camille - 1

I'd have to rate 'Trojan' as easily 7/10

Back to Earth isn't classed as a series, as it was supposed to take place after the "best series ever" Series 9. So the holes are going to be left unexplained, Kinda a clever way to reboot.

Back to Earth isn't classed as a series, as it was supposed to take place after the "best series ever" Series 9. So the holes are going to be left unexplained, Kinda a clever way to reboot.

Is that in response to my question about touching on how it ended? If so, I said VIII, not BTE :) Remember they all escaped into an opposite dimension, except Rimmer, who kicked Death in the nads?

5 {Average}
    it was probably something quantum, nothing to worry about

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is that in response to my question about touching on how it ended? If so, I said VIII, not BTE :) Remember they all escaped into an opposite dimension, except Rimmer, who kicked Death in the nads?
    Yes and my point is that those plot points were resolved in a non-existant Series 9

it was probably something quantum, nothing to worry about

The day you worry about Red Dwarf continuity is the day you should stop watching it :) I just wonder if they'll touch on it or explain it in any way, it doesn't look like they will which is more than fine by me

Yes and my point is that those plot points were resolved in a non-existant Series 9

Ah yeah I remember now...good man. They were looking at the dvd & saying 'its meant to be the best season ever' or something wern't they, & it also left a hole for Kochanski to disappear into too

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Red Dwarf was never about expensive space scenes, it was about Rimmer, Lister, Kryten & Cat hanging out in close quarters having a laugh...& thats exactly what we got!

True, but fans would probably complain if space/planet/derelict scenes looked too cheap and corny as well. Too expensive or too cheap looking is distracting and therefore not desirable. It's a fine line. I wish they'd lay off a bit on the CGI but I think they're toeing the line about as well as they can.

briany wrote: »
    True, but fans would probably complain if space/planet/derelict scenes looked too cheap and corny as well. Too expensive or too cheap looking is distracting and therefore not desirable. It's a fine line. I wish they'd lay off a bit on the CGI but I think they're toeing the line about as well as they can.

Modelling & set building is simply too expensive, CGI is unfortunately the better option cost wise. I think they got a good balance of real sets & cgi in this season

That is EXACTLY the same thought I had :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

5 {Average}
    My thoughts are pretty much the same as everyone else's. I enjoyed it and it felt like a big improvement on the later series. I'm looking forward to the rest of it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Watched it a couple of times and had some time to think about it. Here's my thoughts on it :

- Overall I'm very happy with the look and style of the show, it has very much the tempo & gag turn-over of my favourite series (6). In some scenes, the pace was relentless, it'll take a bit of time getting used to such furious dialogue. It feels faster than S6.

- Cat was on sparkling form and the live crowd added a ton of energy into the show, willing the actors on to hit their marks, and hit them they did. The build up to the Moose joke was great, the crowd knew exactly what was going to happen when Cat walked in the room - fantastic.

- The Rimmer/Kryten short book scene felt very 'Blackadder' in terms of joke structure.

- The sets & models look spectacular and sumptuous, even better in HD. Really great work.

- Picking up channels & Dave watching would-be live TV, talking to a Scottish human on the phone, and the probability of Rimmer's brother being around - ya just gotta accept it as the premise and move on. It was noted, and dismissed, as explaining things would've gotten in the way of the jokes & plot.

- The sub-plot of Davey on the phone wasn't that funny. Weird to hear him say "God-dammit"

- The older crew still takes a bit of getting used to, but they didn't look as 'old' as in some of the photos/publicity shots I thought. I still don't like Kryten's pale, weird mask; his silver-painted trainers are a bit odd as well.

- Having a character-driven plot, especially Rimmer, was really the right way to go. He did a psuedo-macho impression when Howard first boarded, which was different from Ace Rimmer (who'd actually *be* macho, if you get my drift) - great stuff Barrie!

- The Simulant's heel turn/salute routine was a bit too overly comical for my taste, kinda like the resentment freeze face, thought it was a bit too cheesy.

- The payoff of Howard's truth-telling and Rimmer's rebuttal was great. It also explained why Howard was sickened to see Arnie.

- Although some jokes don't hit or feel very forced, there's some genuine laugh out loud jokes "no we hosed him down and gave him a hat", turning right, Touch-T... Brilliant.

- Marked out to the music cue derived from Blue's Munchkin song. Really wonderful.

- Overall, really pleased, great episode, return to form, looking forward to the rest! At the moment I'm rating it higher than S7, some of Series 8, and some episodes of S1-2. (Yes, get your rotten tomatoes!)

Would love it if they just leave the Simulant there stirring the tea for the whole season...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

It was a bit surreal seeing a new Red Dwarf episode. I watched all the original stuff as far as the end of season 6 and then that was that, didn't see 7, 8, or 9. This would have slotted in there somewhere nicely I think with the old stuff.

I might even get my hands on some of the season I missed now after that even though from what I hear they are not as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Overall I liked it. Seven out of ten. Craig Charles can't act anymore. He's just not lister! He was too sombre and relaxed. The cat hadn't changed a bit. He was still loving it too. The set was too shiny and new. Red Dwarf is an old mining ship just about able to make it along. This ship was remnant of some star gate ship! The Bridge looked great! Also, Rimmer was human in 8 and now he's holo again? I'd have thought they'd have explained that!
    Overall! It's good to have them back and back to earth is firmly in the past thank god!

MugMugs wrote: »
    Overall I liked it. Seven out of ten. Craig Charles can't act anymore. He's just not lister! He was too sombre and relaxed. The cat hadn't changed a bit. He was still loving it too. The set was too shiny and new. Red Dwarf is an old mining ship just about able to make it along. This ship was remnant of some star gate ship! The Bridge looked great! Also, Rimmer was human in 8 and now he's holo again? I'd have thought they'd have explained that!
    Overall! It's good to have them back and back to earth is firmly in the past thank god!

Are you sure you're not thinking of the bridge on the military ship they boarded? Thought the sets on RD itself looked satisfyingly grubby myself.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    It was a bit surreal seeing a new Red Dwarf episode. I watched all the original stuff as far as the end of season 6 and then that was that, didn't see 7, 8, or 9. This would have slotted in there somewhere nicely I think with the old stuff.

I might even get my hands on some of the season I missed now after that even though from what I hear they are not as good.
    There is no season 9 :)

Craig Charles can't act anymore. He's just not lister! He was too sombre and relaxed.

Technically he's a vastly improved actor than he was during even the golden era of Red Dwarf. But yes, your right in that there's a very relaxed & almost settled quality to him these days. I think that's been gradually creeping into the character though since season 6 onwards.

It's a natural thing though, that as an actor plays a long term role, the character itself evolves & changes with the actor. There was a very youthful, almost adolescent/juvenile quality to Lister up to season 4/5, but if you look closely you can in season 6 see the beginnings of the change into the character he is today.

I look at it from a canon point of view, Dave Lister has been dealing with the fact he's the last human for twenty five years. It's only natural to conclude he's either accepted it, or gone mad. He's clearly accepted it.

Again, I'm so glad the show has been able to slap the critics in the face, if even this one last time. Fukcing delighted in fact. Well done to all the lads of the Dwarf, & everyone who worked to bring it back again.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »

Are you sure you're not thinking of the bridge on the military ship they boarded? Thought the sets on RD itself looked satisfyingly grubby myself.
    The Trojan looked good but RD was also very high tech. Monitors streaming constant info, fancy lights and clean controls in bridge during the moose conversation.

One more thing actually.... They found a good thing with some gags and just kept running them. It worked but the whole moose stir master thing went on and on.

Finally, I really miss Holly! He/she were core to the show.

Craig Charles can't act anymore. He's just not lister! He was too sombre and relaxed.

Yeah I agree that Lister has changed somewhat in personality but then again, I think the change kind of fits his situation. He's a slob who's spent 24 (not counting stasis) years marooned in deep space with hardly one real person to spend his time with (apart from series 8 which we're trying to forget about), instead having to settle for a cat-man, a mechanoid, a talking toaster, a hologram, a senile computer and various entities who, as Rimmer hilariously put it, "...wanted to suck out our brains, or erase us from history altogether". Yeah there was Kochanski in S VII and VIII who was a real person but a very very annoying and unfunny one. I think having to put up with all that, along with knowing that there is little real future, would make the character's sombre attitude pretty plausible. As for the relaxed bit, yeah, that's probably just Charles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

It wasn't perfect, but it was a good episode of Red Dwarf, and that in itself is something worth celebrating.

Red Dwarf X - Or "**** You, We're Doing This The Way It Should Be Done"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

8/10.

Good start for the series so hopefully they can keep it up, 8/10 is probably more then it really deserves but the excitement of having the show back was worth an added point.

29 votes above average, & one average. None below it :cool: Way to make a comeback!

8/10.

Good start for the series so hopefully they can keep it up, 8/10 is probably more then it really deserves but the excitement of having the show back was worth an added point.

Robert Llewellyn said, on Twitter, that if you liked that ep., you're going to love the rest. Course, he would say that being in and all, but he maintains a fairly close dialogue with fans through social media and blogs so I don't think he'd say it if he didn't believe it was true and risk the backlash after a stinker.

They explained it perfectly in Season 9. :D

5 {Average}
    http://video.uktv.co.uk/dave/red-dwarf/series-10/episode-1

dave have put the ep online for a couple of days

They explained it perfectly in Season 9. :D

All I remember from 9 was a squid and Corrie.....

What was the explanation?

All I remember from 9 was a squid and Corrie.....

What was the explanation?

As pointed out, Back To Earth isn't season 9, it was a seperate thing. It allowed them to bypass having to explain the knot they tied themselves into & just get back on with business because there is no season 9

• Advertisement
Advertisement