Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 10 - Episode 1

• 04-10-2012 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Well folks, the thread is a bit early, but we've been a long time waiting. Absolutely dying to see this tonight.

Rate & discuss what you thought of it :)

Out of ten, ten being the best, what did you think? 42 votes

10 {Best}
    0%
    4%
    liamtechFanadMan 2 votes
    0%
    38%
    Diddy KongRoaralastair_doomYeatsCountybad2daboneArmaniJeanssLcherryghostAlan70[Deleted User]kingofslavesdownwithpeacejaykhunterkylithMeesaredgufnork 16 votes
    33%
    petesMickerooOdaise GaelachdegrassinoelJimoslimosMyrddinMugMugsBraziliaNZwylojaykay74brianymuchachosteve_rG.K. 14 votes
    5 {Average}
    21%
    Sir Digby Chicken CaesarghostchantDozen Wicked WordsPyeContinentalMoist BreadpaddywroksBuford TannenAllround Predatordonegal_man 9 votes
    2%
    James74 1 vote
    0%
    0%
    1 {Poor}
    0%

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

5 {Average}
    so far it's very ... red dwarf

it's like classic red dwarf, seems.. genuine where the latter seasons and ... that special seemed forced

still not great though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm not watching it right now but will stream it later on. Not expecting anything fantastic but so long as it's true to the programme's beginnings, I'll be happy enough. That's something VII, VIII and BTE really messed up on.

5 {Average}
    that was actually alright

nowhere near as good as classic dwarf but still... pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I thought it was as good as the older ones!

Ye can see the age on them all, but it's good to see them all back in the red :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah, at first I thought it was a bit ho-hum but as it went on I started to enjoy it. Most of the laughs were coming from Rimmer and Kryten for me. Definitely felt more like old Red Dwarf though. Liked the
    Rimmer munchkin song
    kicking in there near the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Classic red dwarf imo, first episode was always gonna be shaky cause of the emphasis on the characters but they didn't over do anything, after 10 mins I forgot I was watching a new episode.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ye can see the age on them all, but it's good to see them all back in the red :)

First think I noticed was that Kryten seems to have developed a beer belly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,577 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Enjoyed it myself. Lot better than the last season or two with Kochanski and the god-awful movie

Will be tuning in next week

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'll admit I wasn't too impressed at the beginning maybe because I heard the why was the moose driving the car type line before. But I think I really started laughing at it when they could all answer Rimmer's question, even Cat. :D

I thought holograms couldn't be hurt like that.

Who's waiting for a new series of Brittas Empire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Excellent start to the new series. Rimmer was always one of the funniest anyway. Like the look of the new computer(holly mark phwoar). Am really looking forward to more of the same. Very good start!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Not quite a return to past glories but entertaining nonetheless. A definite improvement on Back to Earth (maybe that was the point - lower expectations)

6.5, perhaps 7 - will watch again.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    I thought holograms couldn't be hurt like that.
    Hard-light hologram?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I actually really enjoyed that, felt really like classic dwarf, not perfect of course, but colour me optimistic for the rest of the series! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I'd second the sentiment expressed by others here.

Quite enjoyable overall. Irreverent and witty in parts. Only criticism would be the very budget looking cgi and special effects.

briany wrote: »
    Quite enjoyable overall. Irreverent and witty in parts. Only criticism would be the very budget looking cgi and special effects.
    I like that though Back to Earth didnt feel like Dwarf, because it had too many high tech looking CGI scenes, the low rent CGI makes it feel more like Dwarf

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Not quite a return to past glories but entertaining nonetheless. A definite improvement on Back to Earth (maybe that was the point - lower expectations)

6.5, perhaps 7 - will watch again.

Hard-light hologram?

Soft light couldn't touch anything then hard light couldn't be hurt. Remember trying to knock Rimmer ut in the Legion episode?

And when Cat said the line about slower than the speed of dark, I just thought that Neverending Story taught me the speed of dark is faster than the speed of light. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Ridley

Soft light couldn't touch anything then hard light couldn't be hurt. Remember trying to knock Rimmer ut in the Legion episode?

And when Cat said the line about slower than the speed of dark, I just thought that Neverending Story taught me the speed of dark is faster than the speed of light. :)

I suppose it does stretch the near-invulnerability suggested by Legion but Ace Rimmer was killed by a bullet to the light bee in a similar manner so it's not without precedent. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Ah yes, you know your RD. I was thinking of something along the lines of a holowhip like in Demons and angels (Series 5) or what Lister threatens the scout from the Holoship in the same series. Pretty sure that could inflict pain on a hologram - soft or hard light.

Meesared wrote: »
    I like that though Back to Earth didnt feel like Dwarf, because it had too many high tech looking CGI scenes, the low rent CGI makes it feel more like Dwarf

I didn't see much hi-tech CGI on Back to Earth that I can remember. I think it was about the same standard as we see here but CGI backgrounds and models of high or low tech don't have much place on Red Dwarf in my opinion. It's either too much 'sheen' or just simply lacking in detail or character and don't really look they're part of the environment. The older method of animatronics, props and scale models but of a 21st century standard would have been better for certain things but would probably cost a fair bit more too in money and time so it's understandable why things are more CGI based.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Quite enjoyed it - not a laugh riot or anything (I've been spoiled by The Thick of It recently), but a few deserved chuckles like Kryten and Rimmer's first conversation or the moose segment. It certainly felt like classic Dwarf, much more so than anything since Series 6.

The effects seemed a strange mix between models and CGI, and IMO weren't particularly effective, especially when it came to scale and movement. The model only stuff of the first few seasons was perfect, shame they've semi-scrapped it. Still looks a helluva lot better than the remastered series or later original episodes. Other than that the only major problem I had with it was the actress playing that synthetic character - her robotic performance was almost too robotic :pac:

• Advertisement

Some great lines, had to laugh at the moose joke, especially when Cat just jumped in before Rimmer had finished the question :)
    I really enjoyed the episode, much more than I thought I would.

But is there supposed to be any continuity between Season 8 and this (I'm ignoring the Back to Earth season)?

All I could think about was is that the blue / original Rimmer from Season 7 before he left to become Ace and where did they get the Dwarf? Is it the nano-constructed one from Season 8 or did they find the original?

Probably not supposed to think about it but it irritated me through the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

Thought it had a slow start but it picked up a lot in the second half.

The moose joke didn't work for me initially but when they brought it back in later it really paid off.

The story itself was the usual Rimmer fare and I'm always happy to see that.

I gave it a seven overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. As someone said above, it felt like classic Red Dwarf & after a few mins I forgot I was watching a new episode. Put the youthful looking actors into that episode, & it could easily have been something out of Season 5 or 6.

Definitely impressed & now hopeful for the rest of the season. The effects I found didn't distract me too much as in BTE & VIII, possibly because they wern't used that much - but thats a good thing! Red Dwarf was never about expensive space scenes, it was about Rimmer, Lister, Kryten & Cat hanging out in close quarters having a laugh...& thats exactly what we got!

I wonder will they touch on how it ended in Season VIII. Noticed the Rimmer munchkin song too & thought it was a sweet touch.

Hard to rate it really the more I think of it, what are we rating it against. My scale would be something like this:

Back to Reality - 10
    Duct Soup - 5
    Camille - 1

I'd have to rate 'Trojan' as easily 7/10

Back to Earth isn't classed as a series, as it was supposed to take place after the "best series ever" Series 9. So the holes are going to be left unexplained, Kinda a clever way to reboot.

Back to Earth isn't classed as a series, as it was supposed to take place after the "best series ever" Series 9. So the holes are going to be left unexplained, Kinda a clever way to reboot.

Is that in response to my question about touching on how it ended? If so, I said VIII, not BTE :) Remember they all escaped into an opposite dimension, except Rimmer, who kicked Death in the nads?

5 {Average}
    it was probably something quantum, nothing to worry about

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is that in response to my question about touching on how it ended? If so, I said VIII, not BTE :) Remember they all escaped into an opposite dimension, except Rimmer, who kicked Death in the nads?
    Yes and my point is that those plot points were resolved in a non-existant Series 9

it was probably something quantum, nothing to worry about

The day you worry about Red Dwarf continuity is the day you should stop watching it :) I just wonder if they'll touch on it or explain it in any way, it doesn't look like they will which is more than fine by me

Yes and my point is that those plot points were resolved in a non-existant Series 9

Ah yeah I remember now...good man. They were looking at the dvd & saying 'its meant to be the best season ever' or something wern't they, & it also left a hole for Kochanski to disappear into too

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Red Dwarf was never about expensive space scenes, it was about Rimmer, Lister, Kryten & Cat hanging out in close quarters having a laugh...& thats exactly what we got!

True, but fans would probably complain if space/planet/derelict scenes looked too cheap and corny as well. Too expensive or too cheap looking is distracting and therefore not desirable. It's a fine line. I wish they'd lay off a bit on the CGI but I think they're toeing the line about as well as they can.

Advertisement