Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Season 10 - Episode 1

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

briany wrote: »
    True, but fans would probably complain if space/planet/derelict scenes looked too cheap and corny as well. Too expensive or too cheap looking is distracting and therefore not desirable. It's a fine line. I wish they'd lay off a bit on the CGI but I think they're toeing the line about as well as they can.

Modelling & set building is simply too expensive, CGI is unfortunately the better option cost wise. I think they got a good balance of real sets & cgi in this season

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

CastorTroy wrote: »

And when Cat said the line about slower than the speed of dark, I just thought that Neverending Story taught me the speed of dark is faster than the speed of light. :)

That is EXACTLY the same thought I had :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

5 {Average}
    My thoughts are pretty much the same as everyone else's. I enjoyed it and it felt like a big improvement on the later series. I'm looking forward to the rest of it now

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Watched it a couple of times and had some time to think about it. Here's my thoughts on it :

- Overall I'm very happy with the look and style of the show, it has very much the tempo & gag turn-over of my favourite series (6). In some scenes, the pace was relentless, it'll take a bit of time getting used to such furious dialogue. It feels faster than S6.

- Cat was on sparkling form and the live crowd added a ton of energy into the show, willing the actors on to hit their marks, and hit them they did. The build up to the Moose joke was great, the crowd knew exactly what was going to happen when Cat walked in the room - fantastic.

- The Rimmer/Kryten short book scene felt very 'Blackadder' in terms of joke structure.

- The sets & models look spectacular and sumptuous, even better in HD. Really great work.

- Picking up channels & Dave watching would-be live TV, talking to a Scottish human on the phone, and the probability of Rimmer's brother being around - ya just gotta accept it as the premise and move on. It was noted, and dismissed, as explaining things would've gotten in the way of the jokes & plot.

- The sub-plot of Davey on the phone wasn't that funny. Weird to hear him say "God-dammit"

- The older crew still takes a bit of getting used to, but they didn't look as 'old' as in some of the photos/publicity shots I thought. I still don't like Kryten's pale, weird mask; his silver-painted trainers are a bit odd as well.

- Having a character-driven plot, especially Rimmer, was really the right way to go. He did a psuedo-macho impression when Howard first boarded, which was different from Ace Rimmer (who'd actually *be* macho, if you get my drift) - great stuff Barrie!

- The Simulant's heel turn/salute routine was a bit too overly comical for my taste, kinda like the resentment freeze face, thought it was a bit too cheesy.

- The payoff of Howard's truth-telling and Rimmer's rebuttal was great. It also explained why Howard was sickened to see Arnie.

- Although some jokes don't hit or feel very forced, there's some genuine laugh out loud jokes "no we hosed him down and gave him a hat", turning right, Touch-T... Brilliant.

- Marked out to the music cue derived from Blue's Munchkin song. Really wonderful.

- Overall, really pleased, great episode, return to form, looking forward to the rest! At the moment I'm rating it higher than S7, some of Series 8, and some episodes of S1-2. (Yes, get your rotten tomatoes!)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would love it if they just leave the Simulant there stirring the tea for the whole season...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭jaykay74

It was a bit surreal seeing a new Red Dwarf episode. I watched all the original stuff as far as the end of season 6 and then that was that, didn't see 7, 8, or 9. This would have slotted in there somewhere nicely I think with the old stuff.

I might even get my hands on some of the season I missed now after that even though from what I hear they are not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Overall I liked it. Seven out of ten. Craig Charles can't act anymore. He's just not lister! He was too sombre and relaxed. The cat hadn't changed a bit. He was still loving it too. The set was too shiny and new. Red Dwarf is an old mining ship just about able to make it along. This ship was remnant of some star gate ship! The Bridge looked great! Also, Rimmer was human in 8 and now he's holo again? I'd have thought they'd have explained that!
    Overall! It's good to have them back and back to earth is firmly in the past thank god!

MugMugs wrote: »
    Overall I liked it. Seven out of ten. Craig Charles can't act anymore. He's just not lister! He was too sombre and relaxed. The cat hadn't changed a bit. He was still loving it too. The set was too shiny and new. Red Dwarf is an old mining ship just about able to make it along. This ship was remnant of some star gate ship! The Bridge looked great! Also, Rimmer was human in 8 and now he's holo again? I'd have thought they'd have explained that!
    Overall! It's good to have them back and back to earth is firmly in the past thank god!

Are you sure you're not thinking of the bridge on the military ship they boarded? Thought the sets on RD itself looked satisfyingly grubby myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

jaykay74 wrote: »
    It was a bit surreal seeing a new Red Dwarf episode. I watched all the original stuff as far as the end of season 6 and then that was that, didn't see 7, 8, or 9. This would have slotted in there somewhere nicely I think with the old stuff.

I might even get my hands on some of the season I missed now after that even though from what I hear they are not as good.
    There is no season 9 :)

Craig Charles can't act anymore. He's just not lister! He was too sombre and relaxed.

Technically he's a vastly improved actor than he was during even the golden era of Red Dwarf. But yes, your right in that there's a very relaxed & almost settled quality to him these days. I think that's been gradually creeping into the character though since season 6 onwards.

It's a natural thing though, that as an actor plays a long term role, the character itself evolves & changes with the actor. There was a very youthful, almost adolescent/juvenile quality to Lister up to season 4/5, but if you look closely you can in season 6 see the beginnings of the change into the character he is today.

I look at it from a canon point of view, Dave Lister has been dealing with the fact he's the last human for twenty five years. It's only natural to conclude he's either accepted it, or gone mad. He's clearly accepted it.

Again, I'm so glad the show has been able to slap the critics in the face, if even this one last time. Fukcing delighted in fact. Well done to all the lads of the Dwarf, & everyone who worked to bring it back again.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »

Are you sure you're not thinking of the bridge on the military ship they boarded? Thought the sets on RD itself looked satisfyingly grubby myself.
    The Trojan looked good but RD was also very high tech. Monitors streaming constant info, fancy lights and clean controls in bridge during the moose conversation.

One more thing actually.... They found a good thing with some gags and just kept running them. It worked but the whole moose stir master thing went on and on.

Finally, I really miss Holly! He/she were core to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭briany

Craig Charles can't act anymore. He's just not lister! He was too sombre and relaxed.

Yeah I agree that Lister has changed somewhat in personality but then again, I think the change kind of fits his situation. He's a slob who's spent 24 (not counting stasis) years marooned in deep space with hardly one real person to spend his time with (apart from series 8 which we're trying to forget about), instead having to settle for a cat-man, a mechanoid, a talking toaster, a hologram, a senile computer and various entities who, as Rimmer hilariously put it, "...wanted to suck out our brains, or erase us from history altogether". Yeah there was Kochanski in S VII and VIII who was a real person but a very very annoying and unfunny one. I think having to put up with all that, along with knowing that there is little real future, would make the character's sombre attitude pretty plausible. As for the relaxed bit, yeah, that's probably just Charles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

It wasn't perfect, but it was a good episode of Red Dwarf, and that in itself is something worth celebrating.

Red Dwarf X - Or "**** You, We're Doing This The Way It Should Be Done"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

8/10.

Good start for the series so hopefully they can keep it up, 8/10 is probably more then it really deserves but the excitement of having the show back was worth an added point.

29 votes above average, & one average. None below it :cool: Way to make a comeback!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭briany

8/10.

Good start for the series so hopefully they can keep it up, 8/10 is probably more then it really deserves but the excitement of having the show back was worth an added point.

Robert Llewellyn said, on Twitter, that if you liked that ep., you're going to love the rest. Course, he would say that being in and all, but he maintains a fairly close dialogue with fans through social media and blogs so I don't think he'd say it if he didn't believe it was true and risk the backlash after a stinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They explained it perfectly in Season 9. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

5 {Average}
    http://video.uktv.co.uk/dave/red-dwarf/series-10/episode-1

dave have put the ep online for a couple of days

CastorTroy wrote: »
    They explained it perfectly in Season 9. :D

All I remember from 9 was a squid and Corrie.....

What was the explanation?

All I remember from 9 was a squid and Corrie.....

What was the explanation?

As pointed out, Back To Earth isn't season 9, it was a seperate thing. It allowed them to bypass having to explain the knot they tied themselves into & just get back on with business because there is no season 9

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Season 9 is whatever you want your imagination to be ;)

But yeah, only saw this today as I've been on holidays. MASSIVE Red Dwarf fan and I'm very optimistic about the rest of the season. Very good starter.
    My only gripe was the Moose joke... was a bit stale but I still chuckled at Cat

8/10. I don't think it will ever beat the White Hole scene. My favourite scene ever in any series :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Can't wait to see it. Must stream tonight

Advertisement