Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anybody else getting excited about Arthur's Day?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    It happens most weekends.

One pound pints of Guinness on sale every weekend? Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

A pub that doesn't serve Guinness, Budweiser or Smithwicks? Where is this pub?

There's a number of them in Dublin. Against the Grain, Brewdock, The Black Sheep, Kavanagh's, Mulligan's.

Imagine the horror of having the craic with all the other conformists :eek:

I've nothing against having fun but I don't feel the need to go mad because some marketing company says I should. I had nothing to celebrate last night.

"To Arthur?" Nah - feck off.

It's slick marketing I'll give them that but I wanted a quiet pint with some mates last night, not the levels of carnage that I saw on the streets the past two years so I picked a place I knew wouldn't have the Arthur's Day crowds.

Imagine the horror of someone thinking for themselves instead of being herded along into some sort of perceived celebration of..... what exactly? :eek:

England?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    There's a number of them in Dublin. Against the Grain, Brewdock, The Black Sheep, Kavanagh's, Mulligan's.

I've nothing against having fun but I don't feel the need to go mad because some marketing company says I should. I had nothing to celebrate last night.

It's slick marketing I'll give them that but I wanted a quiet pint with some mates last night, not the levels of carnage that I saw on the streets the past two years so I picked a place I knew wouldn't have the Arthur's Day crowds.

Imagine the horror of someone thinking for themselves instead of being herded along into some sort of perceived celebration of..... what exactly? :eek:

Some one was on here yesterday saying they don't care about the marketing aspect of it and was just an excuse to go out and have a good laugh.

They then signed off their post by saying "To Martha!"

I think the marketing people have done their jobs quiet well. The best trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

There's a number of them in Dublin. Against the Grain, Brewdock, The Black Sheep, Kavanagh's, Mulligans'.

I had an image of some quiet shebeen out in the countryside dishing out poitín for some reason. I've been in the Porterhouse a few times but you only tend to find pubs that exclusively serve the craft beers in the bigger cities.

That's fair enough. There was a good atmosphere in the places where Arthur's Day was being promoted, few workmates and myself were out, you would never usually get such a crowd out on a Thursday, it gives people an excuse more than anything

Will the sheeple ever learn to think for themselves and not drink because something happens to be sponsored by a drinks company?
    England?

Belfast ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

The pubs were packed last night. Great atmosphere around the place. Pity it doesn't happen more often

This, as I posted.

I never mentioned this, nor did you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I went out and had a nice night. I went to a pub that doesn't serve Diageo products though so it was just normal folk having relaxed conversation.

I don't feel the need to have fun at the behest of a marketing campaign. I have fun when I f*cking well want to.

Good for you. Whatever floats your boat.

I went out and had a nice night. I went to a pub that doesn't serve Diageo products though so it was just normal folk having relaxed conversation.

I don't feel the need to have fun at the behest of a marketing campaign. I have fun when I f*cking well want to.

I went to my normal pub except last night there was some live Irish music and I got a lovely Irish stew and 2 pints of Guinness before I had to put my hand in my pocket. I wish there were more arthurs days.

Personally speaking pubs that don't serve Guinness or Smithwicks are not places I tend to frequent either way.

magma69 wrote: »
    The free gig was awesome last night and the atmosphere in the place was great. Got the shift and a facebook add. All in all a great night.

I hope all those who stayed at home last night in protest had a good night posting on boards or whatever they were doing, feeling superior than those who were out having loads of fun. :)

As opposed to those who went out getting "facebook adds" feeling superior.

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    This, as I posted.

I never mentioned this, nor did you.

Context my dear man, this is a thread about Arthur's Day

• Advertisement

keith16 wrote: »
    As opposed to those who went out getting "facebook adds" feeling superior.

I don't feel superior. Merely pointing out the positives that came from last night which probably wouldn't have occurred was it not Arthur's Day. I saw a free gig which I definitely would have paid the 15 quid to see on a "regular" night. Met loads of friends I had not seen in a while, scored with a girl and had a great night.

Am I bothered that it's a marketing campaign by Diageo? I wasn't celebrating anything. All I'm interested in is having a good time and took advantage of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The best trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

Ah now I want to watch The Usual Suspects....again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Fuck Arthur :(

I don't feel superior. Merely pointing out the positives that came from last night which probably wouldn't have occurred was it not Arthur's Day. I saw a free gig which I definitely would have paid the 15 quid to see on a "regular" night. Met loads of friends I had not seen in a while, scored with a girl and had a great night.

Am I bothered that it's a marketing campaign by Diageo? I wasn't celebrating anything. All I'm interested in is having a good time and took advantage of the situation.

Absolutely fair enough.

I enjoy a good night out as much as the next person, but just didn't want to go out last night, which doesn't mean I was protesting others right to do so.

Just because I don't buy into the whole thing, or want to have a few quiet pints of non diageo pish away from it doesn't make me a miserable bollox or a weirdo (al la the "whatever floats your boat" condescending remarks directed at AnonoBoy).

Fuck Arthur :(

Fowler???
    Yeah I never forgave him myself for that affair he had behind Pauline's back tbh!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

Think the pubs that had Guinness reduced should be mentioned and those that were charging full price and had a few posters up should be named and shamed.

A scam to get people in midweek and not do anything to get them to come back next week or after, 3 euro pints are great.

Absolutely fair enough.

I enjoy a good night out as much as the next person, but just didn't want to go out last night, which doesn't mean I was protesting others right to do so.

Just because I don't buy into the whole thing, or want to have a few quiet pints of non diageo pish away from it doesn't make me a miserable bollox or a weirdo (al la the "whatever floats your boat" condescending remarks directed at AnonoBoy).

I meant that comment. If that's what suits you then go for it. Nothing wrong doing that whatsoever. Funny you accuse me of talking of condescending to that guy. He was the one implying that the people out in the Arthur's Day pubs weren't normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Bejaysus that ****e tore the arsehole outta me.

No point arguing with all the miserable ****ers in here lads, these are probably the same people that won't by their girlfriends flowers on valentines day because that's a huge marketing ploy too. Of course if they have one that is.

Some people like being on boards all weekend, it doesn't make any difference cos ive had my fun and that's all that matters.

To parsnips.

Slattsy wrote: »

No point arguing with all the miserable ****ers in here lads, these are probably the same people that won't by their girlfriends flowers on valentines day because that's a huge marketing ploy too. Of course if they have one that is.

Some people like being on boards all weekend, it doesn't make any difference cos ive had my fun and that's all that matters.

To parsnips.

Sounds like your 'fun' literally had a sting in the tale tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Steven81 wrote: »
    Think the pubs that had Guinness reduced should be mentioned and those that were charging full price and had a few posters up should be named and shamed.

A scam to get people in midweek and not do anything to get them to come back next week or after, 3 euro pints are great.

+1,000,000

I would go out on diageo day if there was an incentive.

Pubs that did something good should be praised. Pubs that jammed people in and did nothing else should be taunted an boo'd until my voice is hoarse.

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »

To parsnips.

Sounds like your 'fun' literally had a sting in the tale tbh

Good man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

To parsnips.

I don't by my girlfriend flowers on valentines day.

Funkfield wrote: »

To parsnips.

I don't by my girlfriend flowers on valentines day.

Bag o chips and a ride FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Sweet jaysus
    Bangin headache and a BLT beside my bed don't remember going to a shop and pretty sure I puked somewhere

Sweet jaysus
    Bangin headache and a BLT beside my bed don't remember going to a shop and pretty sure I puked somewhere

Sounds like a bloody great night out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Bag o chips and a ride FTW.

That's WAY better than flowers, TBH! :pac:

Flowers? Ya can't eat them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

What a load of crap.

It's embarassing. Arthurs Day. What a joke.

He was the one implying that the people out in the Arthur's Day pubs weren't normal.

I did in me hoop imply that.

When I said "normal folk having a quiet conversation" I meant it wasn't a packed, noisy pub not that people were in full Arthur's Day mode weren't 'normal'.

People get awful f*cking touchy so they do just because someone doesn't see things the same way as them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A wan in work's been asking everyone 'What did you get up to for Arthur's Day?" like it's a genuine holiday rather than a marketing gimmick. My reply of 'nothing' seemed to phase her a bit...

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    A wan in work's been asking everyone 'What did you get up to for Arthur's Day?" like it's a genuine holiday rather than a marketing gimmick. My reply of 'nothing' seemed to phase her a bit...

But.... but.... but... there was an ad on the telly and posters.

Did you not see the posters for god's sake??

THE POSTERS!!!!!

How could you have done nothing? :eek:

Advertisement