Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anybody else getting excited about Arthur's Day?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

That's WAY better than flowers, TBH! :pac:

Flowers? Ya can't eat them!

Or "ride" them. Flowers smhowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

keith16 wrote: »
    Or "ride" them. Flowers smhowers.

You'd be surprised.

PM me for an instructional video.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    But.... but.... but... there was an ad on the telly and posters.

Did you not see the posters for god's sake??

THE POSTERS!!!!!

How could you have done nothing? :eek:
    Quite easily. I found a sofa, sat on it, and..... that was it.

Although, to be picky, I did respire, eat, smoke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

kylith wrote: »
    Quite easily. I found a sofa, sat on it, and..... that was it.

Although, to be picky, I did respire, eat, smoke...

But it was ARTHUR'S DAY. To Arthur! Didn't you see the ads on the telly telling you what to do and say at the appropriate time?

My Gawd!!!! I can't believe people are so unpatriotic. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

My head.. and my crotch!

Injuring my old groin strain wasn't actually as fun as I thought! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Some one was on here yesterday saying they don't care about the marketing aspect of it and was just an excuse to go out and have a good laugh.

They then signed off their post by saying "To Martha!"

I think the marketing people have done their jobs quiet well. The best trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

I've done a quick search of this thread and I was the only person who signed off their post with "To Martha" so I presume you are referring to me.

Please don't be making up lies just to make your point. I have been quite vocal in this thread about how brilliant the marketing of Arthur's Day is. I also said I was going out because its always a good night, most of my mates will be out, there is gigs on around the city, money is raised for charities.

Everyone knows Arthur's day is intended to promote a product. So what if it is? The positives of it far outweigh the negatives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

I've done a quick search of this thread and I was the only person who signed off their post with "To Martha" so I presume you are referring to me.

Please don't be making up lies just to make your point. I have been quite vocal in this thread about how brilliant the marketing of Arthur's Day is. I also said I was going out because its always a good night, most of my mates will be out, there is gigs on around the city, money is raised for charities.

Everyone knows Arthur's day is intended to promote a product. So what if it is? The positives of it far outweigh the negatives.

I'm sure the A&E services are more busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What positives? The only positive is in Guinness' pocket. You don't enjoy yourself any more than you would on any other night out, and the damage to your wallet and liver are hardly bonuses.

Just in case anyone thinks I'm anti-drink, I'm not. I enjoy the odd pint, but at some stage I just fell out of the habit of drinking regularly.

What positives? The only positive is in Guinness' pocket. You don't enjoy yourself any more than you would on any other night out, and the damage to your wallet and liver are hardly bonuses.

Just in case anyone thinks I'm anti-drink, I'm not. I enjoy the odd pint, but at some stage I just fell out of the habit of drinking regularly.

Are you serious? Because of Arthur's Day there was a lot of gigs on around the country. Cheap Guinness for customers (and in many places free pints). Publicans and musicians earning more than they usually would on a Thursday night. The tourism benefits (I know a group of British people who came over for Arthurs Day and are making a long weekend out of the trip). Im sure there is plenty more from the UK and other countries who've done the same. A lot of money will be raised for various charities. And most importantly I had a great night out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Sorry, I should have quoted your post.

But didn't you say something to the effect of "I'm not affected / don't care about the marketing"?

Apologies if I mis-read / remembered, didn't intentionally do it.

My general point is, people will say "yeah, it's good marketing, but that's not the point" while at the same time, will simultaneously shout out "TO MARTHA" at exactly 17.59 and knock back their pint of guinness....JUST LIKE IN THE AD!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

A wan in work's been asking everyone 'What did you get up to for Arthur's Day?" like it's a genuine holiday rather than a marketing gimmick. My reply of 'nothing' seemed to phase her a bit...

That happened to me yesterday in work. Well, I did elaborate a bit.

Her: So, are you going out for Arthur's Day?
    Me: No, I don't drink Guinness and it's just a marketing event for Diageo.
    Her: *stares at me with her mouth open*

Everyone saying to arthur aswell on facebook, so stupid. Pics of guinness being posted too. Very stupid. Why are people stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Had an absolutely epic Arthur's Day myself, and the fact that Boardsies don't seem to generally approve of it simply copperfastens my belief in the whole event ;)

TO AAAATHAAAAA!!!!!

Sorry, I should have quoted your post.

But didn't you say something to the effect of "I'm not affected / don't care about the marketing"?

Apologies if I mis-read / remembered, didn't intentionally do it.

My general point is, people will say "yeah, it's good marketing, but that's not the point" while at the same time, will simultaneously shout out "TO MARTHA" at exactly 17.59 and knock back their pint of guinness....JUST LIKE IN THE AD!!

Thats fair enough if you mis-read it! You can check back through my posts in this thread and see that I didnt say anything about not being affected by Marketing. Maybe you picked me up wrong on something I wrote? I've been full of praise for the marketing team behind the idea of Arthur's Day.

And whats wrong with people saying "Martha" or raising a pint at 17:59? Its just a bit of fun. Marketing works. In every part of our lives. The food we eat. The drinks we have. The music we listen to. The TV shows we watch. I don't know a single person (and I be shocked if anyone else here was any different) that can live their life without in any way being influenced by marketing/advertising.

Thats fair enough if you mis-read it! You can check back through my posts in this thread and see that I didnt say anything about not being affected by Marketing. Maybe you picked me up wrong on something I wrote? I've been full of praise for the marketing team behind the idea of Arthur's Day.

And whats wrong with people saying "Martha" or raising a pint at 17:59? Its just a bit of fun. Marketing works. In every part of our lives. The food we eat. The drinks we have. The music we listen to. The TV shows we watch. I don't know a single person (and I be shocked if anyone else here was any different) that can live their life without in any way being influenced by marketing/advertising.

The To Martha thing isn't funny at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Prick! wrote: »
    I'm sure the A&E services are more busy.
    Probably as busy as Paddys day, halloween etc etc etc

Jaysus, i went out and had a grand auld time. Went to 2 amazing gigs and had a good few drinks and enjoyed myself immensely. Don't worry, I'd be damaging my liver as much of a normal thursday night , but the addition of mumford and sons made my liver enjoy it that much more.

The To Martha thing isn't funny at all.

Yeah, "To farmers / To BARBERS!!!" is the funny one :D

Dustaz wrote: »
    Probably as busy as Paddys day, halloween etc etc etc

Jaysus, i went out and had a grand auld time. Went to 2 amazing gigs and had a good few drinks and enjoyed myself immensely. Don't worry, I'd be damaging my liver as much of a normal thursday night , but the addition of mumford and sons made my liver enjoy it that much more.

Yeah exactly, why is there a need for another day of that ****?

Yeah exactly, why is there a need for another day of that ****?

Why not? Just because you personally don't enjoy it?
    I'm happy to say that we don't (yet) live in a society in which our freedom is constrained by the approval of our peers, or lack thereof.
    Although we certainly seem to be moving in that extremely disturbing direction...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

fairly disgusting day in my opinion.

People getting pissed for no reason other than a silly marketing campaign.

Can only begin to wonder how much the country has suffered today as a result of hangovers/sickies/cost to the health care system.

anyone who fell for guinness' marketing ploy needs to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror.

• Advertisement

Why not? Just because you personally don't enjoy it?
    I'm happy to say that we don't (yet) live in a society in which our freedom is constrained by the approval of our peers, or lack thereof.
    Although we certainly seem to be moving in that extremely disturbing direction...

You blind to the fact there's a shockingly bad alcohol abuse situation in this country. There's a reliance on it. People can't go out without drink, it shows a lack of character.

idiotic opinion for anyone to hold.

You blind to the fact there's a shockingly bad alcohol abuse situation in this country. There's some reliance on it. Some can't go out without drink, it shows a lack of character.

I am not one of those people, and neither are my friends. Why should we miss a chance to have a festival atmosphere in town just because we share an island with some eejits?

I went to Herbert Park for an outdoor jam yesterday, I went on the Baggot Mile Pub Crawl, I went to D2 for a friend's birthday party and finally we had an afterparty in one of their gaffs last night. None of us ended up on an A&E trolley and none of us got involved in any fights.

We had an absolutely epic night. There's no excuse for raining on our parade just because there happen to be other people out there who have no common sense. Deal with those cases specifically instead of applying the same criteria to everyone and depriving everyone of a festival.

Ireland may have serious alcohol problems, but it also has a serious problem when it comes to blanket "solutions" to problems, usually meaning "ban it". Deal with the troublemakers and leave the rest of us alone FFS!

I think its time for another Guinness or two for the cure on the way home :D.

I am not one of those people, and neither are my friends. Why should we miss a chance to have a festival atmosphere in town just because we share an island with some eejits?

I went to Herbert Park for an outdoor jam yesterday, I went on the Baggot Mile Pub Crawl, I went to D2 for a friend's birthday party and finally we had an afterparty in one of their gaffs last night. None of us ended up on an A&E trolley and none of us got involved in any fights.

We had an absolutely epic night. There's no excuse for raining on our parade just because there happen to be other people out there who have no common sense. Deal with those cases specifically instead of applying the same criteria to everyone and depriving everyone of a festival.

Ireland may have serious alcohol problems, but it also has a serious problem when it comes to blanket "solutions" to problems, usually meaning "ban it". Deal with the troublemakers and leave the rest of us alone FFS!

So you don't mind promoting drinking when there is a serious problem in this country?

I'm sure there's more free gigs in your locality for other occasions in the year when they aren't promoting alcohol. :rolleyes:

idiotic opinion for anyone to hold.

Calling someone's opinion idiotic and then failing to even attempt to counter it.
    AH, ladies and gentlemen... :rolleyes:

Calling someone's opinion idiotic and then failing to even attempt to counter it.

They're right. Very idiotic. Rather easy to see why.

What are the positives eh?

Negatives: More people in A&E, bigger drinking culture in Ireland. Just 2 negatives.

Try and outweigh them eh?

what is there to counter?
    the country is crippled by a gargantuan drinking problem. the health effects of which haven't even started to appear. fifteen, twenty years from now we will start to see the ramifications of this alcohol abuse. open your eyes mate. you're so drugged up you don't even think there's a problem. that's the exact problem, everyone thinking this culture is normal. it's not. it's completely unheard of anywhere else in the world.

So you don't mind promoting drinking when there is a serious problem in this country?

I'm sure there's more free gigs in your locality for other occasions in the year when they aren't promoting alcohol. :rolleyes:

As I said, deal with the troublemakers and leave the rest of us alone. I believe in freedom of speech and freedom of assembly. There's no justification for censoring them and no justification for attempting to ban the festival, which is seems our delightlful politicians are trying to do.

Live and let live. I harmed absolutely nobody with my behavior last night, ergo I did no wrong. Same can be said for the (massive) crowd of people I was out with.

EDIT: The fact that the people I'm arguing against here are called "Supapackofidiots" and "Prick" is highly amusing. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

fairly disgusting day in my opinion.

People getting pissed for no reason other than a silly marketing campaign.

Can only begin to wonder how much the country has suffered today as a result of hangovers/sickies/cost to the health care system.

anyone who fell for guinness' marketing ploy needs to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror.

Could you try and be a bit more dramatic?

Advertisement