Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anybody else getting excited about Arthur's Day?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Huzzah, a false holiday to celebrate a drink i don't drink, the day after which, fully half my staff will be useless for the first half of the day.

Thanks Diageo, needed that.

Why not take them out for a good meal beforehand? Will mitigate the effects somewhat. Plus they'll think you're awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Huzzah, a false holiday to celebrate a drink i don't drink, the day after which, fully half my staff will be useless for the first half of the day.

Leave packs of wet wipes in the toilets for Friday morning. For everybodys sake.

Why not lighten up a bit and go for a few yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Maybe some of the people commenting on this thread should look over their comments on the defence of hipsters thread!
    'i liked Guinness in my local pub before it was cool'
    'i'm not some sheep that follows the crowd just because of clever marketing'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Yeah because if you're not gettin' p!ssed on Arthur's day you're uptight.

Maybe he doesn't want to go out? Typical Irish attitude - 'ah sure have a few drinks, it'll be a bit of craic'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The amount of miserable bastards on this thread is unreal.

You don't like it? Stay in, log into your internet machines, find a chat site and pretend to be a 17 yr old girl and chat to other girls who like you are probably obese lonely men :-)

I for one, like a whole load of other people will enjoy the night and have fun with friends :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Slattsy wrote: »

You don't like it? Stay in, log into your internet machines, find a chat site and pretend to be a 17 yr old girl and chat to other girls who like you are probably obese lonely men :-)

I for one, like a whole load of other people will enjoy the night and have fun with friends :-)

What are you doing Thursday week?

Or have you not been told yet? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

No money for pints so answer no not the leaset bit

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

I think its the saddest thing Ive ever come across... talk about marketing a product to a bunch of monkeys!!! that will actually go out on purpose to a made up day by a corporation thats trying to make money....

I'm not miserable ill be playing soccer thursday night with all my friends and then ill go home to my beautiful girlfriend.

And might login to Boards during the night to laugh and chat to others about the monkeys out drinking Guinness!!!! who think they are great things altogether cause they are drinking beacuse its the only way to socialize in Ireland!!!!!

I Am Kong! wrote: »

Possibly drinking Guinness somewhere. I'll have to pay for the pints then though :-(

• Advertisement

otto_26 wrote: »

I think its the saddest thing Ive ever come across... talk about marketing a product to a bunch of monkeys that will actually go out on purpose to a made up day by a corporation thats trying to make money....

I'm not miserable ill be playing soccer thursday night with all my friends and then ill go home to my beautiful girlfriend.

And might login to Boards during the night to laugh and chat to others about the monkeys out drinking Guinness!!!! who think they are great things altogether cause they are drinking beacuse its the only way to socialize in Ireland!!!!!

I generally play footie on a Thursday too but will give it a miss this week and go for a few scoops.

Then I'll go home to my beautiful girlfriend too.

Point?

Typical Irish attitude - 'ah sure have a few drinks, it'll be a bit of craic'.

Typical because its true.

Drinking Guinness on a thursday night is a regular occurrence for me but having a bit of an extra incentive is no harm, it will get more people out and also might result in a few free pints and a bit of free grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Cool, will do. But only if you agree to tell the staff that anyone coming in with a hangover will be sent home absent pay.

oh wait, that'll be happening anyway.

It'd be fine if they went for a few, but this being Ireland, and fun absent drink being an alien concept here, thats not going to happen.

Cool, will do. But only if you agree to tell the staff that anyone coming in with a hangover will be sent home absent pay.

oh wait, that'll be happening anyway.

You live up to the "creul" in your username anyway, I'd be at home half the fridays in the year if I was sent home everyone that I was hungover along with with plenty more around the office :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I booked thursday and Friday off work !!

Why ? So i can prep thursday during the day, then hit town, in what will no doubt be a Jack daniels fuelled rampage, all the while flicking around the phrase "Drink responsibly" to any bit of fluff that gets within ear shot of me.. of course i'll be directing them to my groin during said conversation ..

Friday's the recovery, and subsequent waiting for the horror's to set in .. also checking of my fone FB, and twitter to see if i sexually abused any other ladies during the night ....

All in all it should be a stormer !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

You live up to the "creul" in your username anyway, I'd be at home half the fridays in the year if I was sent home everyone that I was hungover along with with plenty more around the office :D

Ah yes, expecting people now to honour the age old adage "honest days work, honest days pay", is being an asshole.

Wow, must be getting old or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I think its the saddest thing Ive ever come across... talk about marketing a product to a bunch of monkeys!!! that will actually go out on purpose to a made up day by a corporation thats trying to make money....

Ireland's (and Arthur's) finest:

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

I generally play footie on a Thursday too but will give it a miss this week and go for a few scoops.

Point?

You suggested in earlier posts that people complaining about how stupid and sad the whole Arthur's day was as being miserable loners.

I making the point that I find Arthur's day as just a big corporation marketing to monkeys...

Monkeys who will gladly change their plans on a Thursday night because a big corporation told them it's Arthur's day

I'm not miserable or a loner even though I find the whole think just pure sad! that's my point

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Youtube videos
    It's only a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

A complete joke of a day, Diageo whoring a drink for money, they don't even have it on the same date every year ffs! Put it on the Thursday so people might go out on the Friday and Saturday to spend even more money on diageo piss water! I went out last year for it in Galway and while it was great craic at 6, the evening quickly went to complete crap when everybody on Shop Street was hammered by 8.

It wouldn't be so bad if people didn't insist on getting as pissed as humanly possible so early in the evening. Try to go to a pub that night for a few and everyone is absolutely locked to the point where ya con't converse, everyone is falling over themselves and the toilets in the pub are covered in vomit!

For those of you in Galway the beer house has an anti Arthurs day where their pints are €3, they had that offer for the last two years anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

You suggested in earlier posts that people complaining about how stupid and sad the whole Arthur's day was as being miserable loners.

I making the point that I find Arthur's day as just a big corporation marketing to monkeys...

Monkeys who will gladly change their plans on a Thursday night because a big corporation told them it's Arthur's day

I'm not miserable or a loner even though I find the whole think just pure sad! that's my point

If you don't like people making sweeping generalisations about you then perhaps you shouldn't make them about others?

Point?

Anti craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Thora

Lads, does anyone know where Example is playing on Arthur's Day tomorrow? His twitter page says he's playing 2 venues anyone know anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Me m8 Deco's gaff be dedlee buzzzzz

I don't actually know who Example is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Example I or Example II?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Finches Neilstown

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Finches Neilstown

Classy place that!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Finches Neilstown
    Regulars only bud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Noctors

Advertisement