Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Brewdog/Floyds Bitch Please Islay cask aged barley wine. 11.5%
    I really, really like this beer.
    I'm not usually a lover of whiskey aged beers but this one is great imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I tried the new Galway Bay Amber and was pleasantly surprised.

Their pale ale is a disaster.

Stormy port is ok at times and horrid at others (was lovely at one stage)

The red is, well, sometimes it's not even red...

But the new amber, the first beer developed by their new Brewer is actually lovely.

It's a lovely hoppy amber and coming in at 4.7abv it's very sessionable.

They have it in The Black Sheep in place of the Plae Ale at the moment and will be doing the same in all the other bars (if they haven't already).

The plae is being suspended pending further recipe changes by the new brewer.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Got a few new beers

Mikkeller

- Beer Geek Breakfast – Oatmeal Stout,
    - Monks Elixir BA Bourbon – Bourbon barrel aged Quadruple,
    - Koppi Coffee IPA

Southern Tier Brewery
    - IPA
    - 2XIPA (Double IPA)

And Flying Dog's Wilde Dog. Really looking forward to the IPA's

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Seaneh wrote: »
    further recipe changes
    add_more_hops.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It took me so long to try Galway Hooker. No idea why I always chose something else over it in the offie. Very impressed. Might nip down now and grab some.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

O'Hara's selection chilling as we speak

I'll only have one tonight, toss of a coin between the Pale Ale & Leann Follain

Maybe off topic but.......

Does anyone know if they plan to release their "Smoked Ale" (which I got on tap in the brew dock) in bottles?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Smoked Ale No. 1 was a single batch which is probably all gone by now. Haven't heard anything about plans for a second in the series, or bottles.

O'Hara's selection chilling as we speak

I'll only have one tonight, toss of a coin between the Pale Ale & Leann Follain

Maybe off topic but.......

Does anyone know if they plan to release their "Smoked Ale" (which I got on tap in the brew dock) in bottles?

If it's as cold in wherever you are as it is in Galway, it's a night for the Leann.

Don't chill it too long though, you won't taste it.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Smoked Ale No. 1 was a single batch which is probably all gone by now. Haven't heard anything about plans for a second in the series, or bottles.

That's a shame. I had a pint in the Brew Dock the night of the Stone Roses concert. Thought it was beautiful

The Pale Ale is damn good also, should've got a few more of them. I've had (and really enjoyed) both Curim Gold & Leann Follain many times before but this is my first bottle of the Pale Ale

Tonight I am spending some time with some old friends and a newbie.

22ne5f.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Got a few new beers

Mikkeller

- Beer Geek Breakfast – Oatmeal Stout,
    - Monks Elixir BA Bourbon – Bourbon barrel aged Quadruple,
    - Koppi Coffee IPA

Southern Tier Brewery
    - IPA
    - 2XIPA (Double IPA)

And Flying Dog's Wilde Dog. Really looking forward to the IPA's
    Where did you get the Mikkeller stuff? I have 2 of their Black Hole Barrel Aged beers here. Bourbon edition and cognac edition.

I've not been impressed by any Mikkeller beer I've tried yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Tucking into a Stonewell cider for the first time.
    Not really a cider drinker but this stuff is gorgeous!!!

Bottle of O'Hara's Leann Follain

Assuming they're still on 5 for €10 in Tesco so I'll pick up a few more tomorrow.

I reckon they, and a few others, will always be 5 for 10 in tesco from now on.

Tis a great beer.

My favourite Irish stout/Porter in regular production by a long way.

I got them in Redmond's KJ, they had just got them in, a few more were on the shelves. The coffee IPA wasn't up to much, am about to have the Monks elixir in 30ish minutes I'd say.

Wasn't blown away with Southern Tier Brewery's DIPA, better DIPA's out there.

Definitely don't try their Monks Elixir Brew then, this is atrocious. No way I'm going to be able to finish this. I've only ever had to pour one craft beer down the drain before(brewdog abstrakt 04).

Curious for some other opinions regarding whisky/bourbon/cognac/wine ageing non-stout beers, for me it just doesn't work. I've tried all the Abstrakt and any other beers that do this that we get here, and they haven't been great in my opinion. Never again for me unless its a stout.

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Definitely don't try their Monks Elixir Brew then, this is atrocious. No way I'm going to be able to finish this. I've only ever had to pour one craft beer down the drain before(brewdog abstrakt 04).

Curious for some other opinions regarding whisky/bourbon/cognac/wine ageing non-stout beers, for me it just doesn't work. I've tried all the Abstrakt and any other beers that do this that we get here, and they haven't been great in my opinion. Never again for me unless its a stout.

i actually quite liked Great Devide Rumble which is an IPA aged in i think Chardonay casks.

Not sure if I've had that, been way too many craft beers over the past year. I did have their Great Divide 17th Anniversary Wood Aged Double IPA which was quite good(my expectations were so high for that beer).

Had Southern Tiers IPA earlier, was far nicer than their DIPA surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Master Tmavy a lovely dark beer a bit sweet intially and a hint of coffee in the aftertaste.
    Surprisingly very light beer and easy to drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

yesterday, the first 3 of the 6 Oktoberfest beers :

Spaten Oktoberfest (2012) : smooth balanced lager with a miniscule slight bitter hint of hops in the aftertaste. This should be available in Ireland at some stage soon, so it is definitely one to try. Far more delicate than normal Spaten.

Löwenbräu Oktoberfest (2012) : frustrating to describe it, but it was reasonably sweet like a Munich lager should be, but in the forefront it was overly bitter, or rustic. Not hoppy, just .... not particularly nice. And it smells more pungent than it aught to. Strange it doesnt agree with me this year seeing as last years attempt was so nice that I bought in a whole heap of them. Like Spaten, its an inbev creation so may be available in Ireland in the immediate future. This year I'd recommend the Spaten over it, although at the same time after a few litres you'd probably be happy enough with it.

Augustiner Oktoberfest (2012) : stunningly smooth, velvety possibly. Absolute pure joy to drink.
    After taking one sip, you actually need to take another to confirm how nice the previous one was, and that you weren't just imagining it. No joking.
    Augustiner are the only brewery in Bavaria still doing their own malting so I do wonder if they save the best for this beer. Also, the expiry date is a very short, only 6 months so its possible they let it lager for longer than normal and it's probably also been maturing since the spring somewhere or other.
    Either way. Its the king of Munich lagers, not just Oktoberfest beers.

Tonight I'll be sipping the other breweries' 2012 Oktoberfest beers, Hacker Pschorr, Paulaner and Hofbräu so back with reports on them !

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Seaneh wrote: »
    Someone always says this when Mikkeller is mentioned...
    anyways, Beer Geek Brunch Weasel is probably the best Imperial Stout I've had. About on par with the De Molen Rasputin I aged a couple of years...maybe better. The Beer Geek Breakfast Drinkstore now has is supposed to be pretty similar if a bit lighter. Can't wait to try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Was in the pub tonight and had a couple of Guinness. All grand, decent enough but bland. Got home having a Cooper Coast Red Ale and it's so much nicer. It's nice to have a proper taste to your beer.

Also was very disappointed today. Saw a Delirium Red in the off license and was thinking "Ohh a delirium I haven't had, this should be nice". Got home and read the bottle to find out it's a cherry beer. Probably one for my girlfriend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Got talking to Seamus O'Hara at the Beerfest and asked him how come they don't do the Tradtional Irish (Red) Ale for Aldi anymore, and he told me that O'Shea's Red Ale was just a straight rebadge. Absolutely delighted to hear that as it was one of my favourite beers. So I picked up a few of the Red Ales along with the new Pale Ale and the Stout.

Thought the Pale Ale was very nice. Essentially just a toned down O'Hara's Pale Ale, same in most respects except less hoppy. The Red Ale was as nice as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Bought a selection of a few beers last night and was uniformly disappointed. Brooklyn Breweries' Chocolate stout had nomouthfeel compared to Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Sierra Nevada IPA tasted like hoppy dishwater and the 8 Degrees IPA, while nice, just felt like it wasn't trying hard enough.

Westvleteren 12 has spoiled most beers for me :(

Anyone got any suggestions that have body, are malty and go easy on the hops? Not a huge hops fan tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

koppaberg refreshment and cider kiss - love the two of them very light to taste,one is a cider..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Got a few O'Hara's Pale Ales to try and two Weihenstephaner Dunkels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Des wrote: »
    I was in Edinburgh at the weekend and took my Dad and his brother to the Brew Dog bar.

My Dad drinks lager - Carlsberg, Heineken - so I got him a Punk IPA - jaysis, he fell in love with it, so much so that after three pints he bought two bottles of it to bring with him to the Three Sisters where the rest of the Stag Group were.

They kicked him out of there for doing that, and he seemed happy to be back in the Brew Dog place drinking pints of Punk again!

His brother is a Guinness drinker, and they had Mikkeller Black hole on tap also, they were serving it in the style of a wine - it being 13% - and my uncle also couldn't get enough.

Although that same man loved Dark Arts in Against The Grain one night too.

I'm heading to Edinburgh next weekend on a stag, is the Brew Dog bar hard to find? Would it be suitable for a stag party gang? I say i'd have a job convincing lads to go to it, so might have to sneak off on my lone!

Do many bars in Edinburgh stock BrewDog?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Had a Smithwicks in Johnny Fox's, it wasn't as bad as I remember from my youth. Drinking a Crabbies ginger beer now because O'Briens in Citywest don't stock Gingerbeard :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Son0vagun wrote: »
    I'm heading to Edinburgh next weekend on a stag, is the Brew Dog bar hard to find? Would it be suitable for a stag party gang? I say i'd have a job convincing lads to go to it, so might have to sneak off on my lone!

Do many bars in Edinburgh stock BrewDog?

I was over at a gig in Manchester recently and really wanted to go to the Brewdog Bar. I convinced the lads (mainly Guinness & Heineken drinkers) to go. Believe it or not they loved it. So much so that we even went back the next day. Pretty cool looking bars so ya might get lucky! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement