Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Also interesting is that paper is partially based on a meal shake replacement diet (very low calorie), it wouldn't be the first paper showing that a crash diet (if you can stick to it for a couple months) tends to have better longer term results than 'gentle' approaches. :eek:

is it due to leptin and the body fat checkpoints it supposedly makes?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

is it due to leptin and the body fat checkpoints it supposedly makes?

Not a single clue. I would have argued the opposite, I mean the opposite makes sense. We all know someone who goes on the latest diet every week and then is in the chipper come Friday. But maybe if you can actually stick to a crash diet, it can be better long term?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Not a single clue. I would have argued the opposite, I mean the opposite makes sense. We all know someone who goes on the latest diet every week and then is in the chipper come Friday. But maybe if you can actually stick to a crash diet, it can be better long term?

I was thinking if you do the gentle way, once you hit these checkpoints it becomes more and more difficult while with crash dieting if you can stick with it you just crash through them.

Animord wrote: »
    I have lost 71 lbs (just over 5 stone)

Sorry skipped past this first time. That is SENSATIONAL. You must be a whole different person!
    I was thinking if you do the gentle way, once you hit these checkpoints it becomes more and more difficult while with crash dieting if you can stick with it you just crash through them.

Yep. Nothing motivates like quick weight loss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Sorry skipped past this first time. That is SENSATIONAL. You must be a whole different person!

Thank you. I certainly feel much better. The most extraordinary thing about it is that suddenly, about half a stone ago, I became visible again. I am not suggesting that people were unkind to me but it appeared, paradoxically, they just couldn't see me when I was overweight. And it's not just men (I am female, 5'11") women's attitudes toward me have changed too. It's bizzare, and interesting.

On the rapid weightloss thing there is an undoubted eurphoria about quick weightloss that, I think, probably does make a difference on sticking to it.

I also think that probably the biggest difference between successful people and those who regain, is the realisation that this is it - the way you eat for the rest of your life. The weightloss plans and crash diets just don't teach you that, even though they would have you believe they do. In my opinion they perpetuate the 'bad' food for reward idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

XtZGI.jpg

How drinking your fruit and vegetables can make you fat:

http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v20/n9/abs/oby2011192a.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Listening to today fm, I wasn't really paying attention but I think someone is going to come on later and say why white bread is healthy/good for you. He said who but I didn't catch that bit.

Orla K wrote: »
    Listening to today fm, I wasn't really paying attention but I think someone is going to come on later and say why white bread is healthy/good for you. He said who but I didn't catch that bit.

Pat the Baker

Pat the Baker

Some fool from the blackrock clinic
    It was the ultimate nutrition fail, a survey was done(by brennens) on why people think white bread is unhealthy. She then went on to say that because it's fat free then it's healthy.

How can someone who has gone through a very long and difficult course be such an idiot! The one they had to counteract her argument wasn't much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Orla K wrote: »
    She then went on to say that because it's fat free then it's healthy.
    Are you sure this wasn't sugar free, or no added sugar?, which I hear mentioned a lot in recent bread ads.

Sugar manufacturers are the usual chancers going on about being fat free...

EDIT: reading that other thread she is saying its low fat, it does have added veg oil.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/survey-just-over-a-third-aware-of-dietary-requirements-565537.html

This is some sneaky wording
    Recent scientific research findings, 'Analysis of Bread Consumption in Irish Adults and Children', conducted by IUNA (Irish Universities Nutrition Alliance) show that white bread is good for you as it contains many positive benefits and is the lowest contributor of fat of any food group in the Irish diet.
    They know fine well that many would read that as "lowest contributor of fatNESS" playing on the fact that so many people think you only, or mainly, put on fat by eating fat.

rubadub wrote: »
    Are you sure this wasn't sugar free, or no added sugar?, which I hear mentioned a lot in recent bread ads.

Sugar manufacturers are the usual chancers going on about being fat free...

EDIT: reading that other thread she is saying its low fat, it does have added veg oil.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/survey-just-over-a-third-aware-of-dietary-requirements-565537.html

This is some sneaky wording
    They know fine well that many would read that as "lowest contributor of fatNESS" playing on the fact that so many people think you only, or mainly, put on fat by eating fat.

There's not too many things that actually make me angry but I just can't help getting pissed off when someone intelligent says something stupid. I ended up doing the washing up and making a chocolate spice jelly with some gelatin, cooking/making things makes me happy again.
    I'd also nearly send her an email to tell her she's an idiot but I don't think she'd get to read it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Crap pages on facebook posting 'fitness recipes' and using low fat products. Questioned them on their use of low fat yoghurt and they asked me to say why I'd use full fat before answering me, then gave a crap response about how the fat in yoghurt is saturated and saturted fats are BAD FATS....

Haven't explained why I'd choose full fat dairy yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Crap pages on facebook posting 'fitness recipes' and using low fat products. Questioned them on their use of low fat yoghurt and they asked me to say why I'd use full fat before answering me, then gave a crap response about how the fat in yoghurt is saturated and saturted fats are BAD FATS....

Haven't explained why I'd choose full fat dairy yet.

I mentioned this in another thread.

There are loads of these 'fitness' pages popping up now.

One of them posted up a picture of the food pyramid the other day.

Had to unsubscribe.

I'm itching to argue with them to be honest. :D I only 'liked' the page the other day so I could post a comment about their use of low fat mayo and yoghurt in another recipe.

I'm itching to argue with them to be honest. :D I only 'liked' the page the other day so I could post a comment about their use of low fat mayo and yoghurt in another recipe.

I just saw your comment. Now I know who you are...

*Insert creepy smiley*

:D

I just saw your comment. Now I know who you are...

*Insert creepy smiley*

:D

Tag team them!

I've actually a question about this.

I've looked up two yogurts. Onken Natural and Onken Fat Free.

It's probably a stupid question but how come the protein content is higher in the fat free version?

Natural :
    Energy 435KJ/104kcal -
    Protein 5.7g -
    Carbohydrate 5.4g -
    of which sugars 5.4g -
    Fat 5.6g -
    of which saturates 3.6g -
    Fibre 0g -
    Sodium 0.09g -
    equivalent of salt 0.23g

Fat free:
    Energy 293KJ/69kcal -
    Protein 8.1g -
    Carbohydrate 6.4g -
    of which sugars 6.4g -
    Fat 0.2g -
    of which saturates 0.1g -
    Fibre 0g -
    Sodium 0.13g -
    equivalent of salt 0.33g

They add more protein to fat free versions to bulk it out, it's called 'milk solids', it's to make a thicker yoghurt to replicate the mouthfeel of fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They add more protein to fat free versions to bulk it out, it's called 'milk solids', it's to make a thicker yoghurt to replicate the mouthfeel of fat.
    It's also partially because removing the fat reduces the total volume, so existing protein volume is a higher precent of the total.

I know here there's extra protein added too but I'm pointing this out in terms of fat free milk and such.

• Advertisement

I was looking at something from winter 2009, I was about a stone heavier than I am now. It's not much but I really don't know when I started eating this way, I've had to stop exercising for some of it and I haven't really been trying very hard. I say about because I'm not sure what I weigh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

was uploading a photo to facebook this afternoon and as it popped up on my facebook I caught a glimpse of a pic taken of me at the end of july

i'm noticeably skinnier.. to my mind it's a pretty big difference but it's most likely just my happiness with the weight loss exaggerating the actual difference. still fantastic to have some pictorial proof of what I've been feeling/noticing for a while now, that I have been losing weight and that my diet is actually working.

hopefully be at a decent level of weight loss by my birthday in february. there's always an urge to really kick things into high-gear now and start scouring my diet for calories to drop or even (heaven forbid) actually starting to exercise regularly but slow and steady wins the race.. just gona keep doing what I've been doing and hopefully the results will come.

So I finally got my last blood test results handed to on paper. Test was in may.
    My TSH is down to 2.41
    but my free T4 is at 12.5 just within the lab range of 12-22

I'm slowing getting it to what it should be but my body fat % still isn't going down.

I'm still not sure what's going on with it, since they wouldn't test t3 or anything else once these were in their range.

Friends' Mother suffers from high cholesterol and on her Cardiac Risk Assessment Personal Report Card it says this (verbatim):
    CUT DOWN ON FOODS WHICH ARE HIGH IN FAT AND LDL CHOLESTEROL:
    Meats (especially the fat and the skin)
    Saturated Fats (butter, cheese,lard)
    Hydrogenated Fats, e.g. Margarine
    Whole Milk Products
    Eggs
    Fatty Deserts including sweets with a lot of refined sugar
    Fried and Fast foods

INSTEAD CHOOSE HEALTHIER OPTIONS SUCH AS:
    Fruit and Vegetables (especially the leafy ones)- eat at least 5 servings daily
    Legumes (peas, beans, soya products)
    Wholegrains and Fibres
    Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated oils, e.g olive and sunflower oils
    Non-fat or skim milk products

nice one Docs :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

On that topic, Robb Wolf just did a podcast with Chris Kresser.

here

They are two intelligent dudes!

P.S For anyone who isn't already subscribing to the podcast, get on it! Robb's stuff is always awesome!

passed a stand of freshly baked croissants in superquinn as I was in looking for some coconut oil (all out, still :/ ) and couldnt stop myself taking a packet

wolf them all down then decide to check the average calories of a croissant on livestrong

i guess today is now my cheat day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Hey Digby, I saw coconut oil in Dunnes a week ago! So check there, I'm hopefully gonna get some later =]

passed a stand of freshly baked croissants in superquinn as I was in looking for some coconut oil (all out, still :/ ) and couldnt stop myself taking a packet

wolf them all down then decide to check the average calories of a croissant on livestrong

i guess today is now my cheat day

Never underestimate the crack-like power of the croissant. It WILL defeat you.

I'm going to head to Paris next week with full intentions of indulging in all sorts of pastry-based deliciousness, along with lots of delicious offal and a marathon's worth of walking.

Bread in Paris never bothers my tummy as much as it does here, I think it has less additives and is fresher or something.

FunkZ wrote: »
    Hey Digby, I saw coconut oil in Dunnes a week ago! So check there, I'm hopefully gonna get some later =]

hrm, only a 20 minute walk to dunnes from where I am. it always seemed so far away in my head that I'd never thought of it as an option. I'll head down later in the day and have a look, thanks

• Advertisement

hrm, only a 20 minute walk to dunnes from where I am. it always seemed so far away in my head that I'd never thought of it as an option. I'll head down later in the day and have a look, thanks

Don't buy any croissants.

Advertisement