Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Big Spiders.. Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stan500

After watching "Along came a spider" on film4+1 I then came across one big fecker running under my feet, i caught him and here she is, biggest i've seen in Ireland in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

It's mating season so the big fckers you're seeing are the boys running around looking for a bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

What were they called before houses came along :P I remember when I was younger I loved spiders (my fear stemmed from my friends fear) and I caught one of those spiders in my garden and kept him in a pokéball and looked up spider breeds and it said he was a wolf spider so maybe they used to be called that? Anyways I thought I was the bees knees with my spider in a pokéball toy until I started playing with it... "i choose you wolfie!" then he escaped and I was very sad :(. How long do they live for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

missus woke me up last night terrified as this little s"£$ was on the wall next to her head, looked big enough at the time, with his legs fully out he would have filled my palm.... Never seen one before so thats why im asking, had a friend bitten by a spider here recently and never knew our resident spidies bite.......

IMAG0453.jpg

IMAG0451.jpg

anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

italodisco wrote: »
    missus woke me up last night terrified as this little s"£$ was on the wall next to her head, looked big enough at the time, with his legs fully out he would have filled my palm.... Never seen one before so thats why im asking, had a friend bitten by a spider here recently and never knew our resident spidies bite.......

IMAG0453.jpg

IMAG0451.jpg

Are you actually serious? Was this in Ireland? I'm moving countries if that's the case :L

well that spider was on the bedroom wall during Breaking Bad on tg4 last night, bastard !!!

And yeah friend of mine has a kinda abscess thing on his arm now, the consultant in Mater says it looks to be a spider bite, claims he worked in Oz for years so knows what to look for.....

Just not impressed byt the swine on the wall last night, was not a spider im used to seeing here what ever it is ;-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

I have a spider with a web on my bedroom window. I called him Charlie and as long as he's back in his web before night-time, I'm content to let him stay there. He's been there for the last week and I've grown quite fond of him :D

italodisco wrote: »

IMAG0453.jpg

IMAG0451.jpg

So just got the fright of my life with the wife screaming again lol ......2 more of the above swines in the bedroom, strange thing is when i squished on the other one came shooting for my hand lol.....aggressive bastards whatever they are, hopefully not a false widow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

I worked in a textile factory for a good few years and we had a room full of imported cotton ready to be processed. These bales are roughly 500kg, weight about as high as grown man and three times the width all these bales originated from the likes of the middle east to africa and quality control was not really a strong point with these bales.

So one day a former work colleague was working on these bales getting them ready for processing and felt a nip on his forearm, thought nothing of it anyways till about an hour or so later his arm had swollen like a balloon, freaked him out completely so eventually he went to the doc, he didn't have a clue said more than likely a reaction to a bee sting or some crap.

So next day his arm is now weeping from a sore and still severely swollen so he went to casualty and was met by an african doctor working here, he asked the question "Have you ever been to africa lately on holiday?" to which he replied "no", "well you have been bitten by a spider native to africa" and that he seen this thousands of times over where he came from. Anyway after a strong course of anti-biotics and anti-inflammatory he was fine but left with scar.

The little spidey went on a trip in the cotton bale from africa to kerry, I avoided that room like the plague for the duration I was there.

And on a side note I sooooooooooo could have summed that story up in a sentence. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bakergirl91

I usually have my partner catch them and let them out the windows because i dont think its fair in killing them, however there was one in our room so large tonight that even had him stopped in his tracks ..... dont know how the hell i am gonna sleep tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lizmer

Hey I took a picture of this spider outside my apartment. Anyone know what it is or where I could find out because it's freaking me out. And yes....I am in IRELAND!

attach.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lizmer

Here it is from another angle. Please help!

It's a garden spider, Common & Harmless but you have a big specimen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have a couple of massive ones of those in my garden, even had one in my kitchen a few years back. I don't mind them because they stay in one spot. I even left the one indoors alone because she did such a great job of keeping the kitchen fly-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

kylith wrote: »
    I have a couple of massive ones of those in my garden, even had one in my kitchen a few years back. I don't mind them because they stay in one spot. I even left the one indoors alone because she did such a great job of keeping the kitchen fly-free.

The spider who lives in my kitchen light is beyond bloody USELESS at keeping the place fly free. Grr. I must threaten her with the hoover!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I found a beauty the other night - they usually stay outside, but this one made it in, so had to be removed swiftly:D

DSC_0653.jpg

DSC_0654.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Yep, that's exactly like the guy I had to do a capture and release on the other night while the man of the house looked on, rooted to the ground with fear. :rolleyes:

The worst thing is when you can hear their legs tapping against whatever you're using to keep them in the container. Ugh, making me feel weak at the knees just thinking about it, I HATE those big feckers.

Christ that was bloody unpleasant. Don't know if the set of balls I grew are big enough for me to go near that chappie. Although his position at time of capture would play a part. Shoulder level or lower and in an easy accessible place and I'd prolly give it a go. Awkward location or above shoulder height not a hope

hdowney wrote: »
    Christ that was bloody unpleasant. Don't know if the set of balls I grew are big enough for me to go near that chappie. Although his position at time of capture would play a part. Shoulder level or lower and in an easy accessible place and I'd prolly give it a go. Awkward location or above shoulder height not a hope

He (?) was hanging off a curtain around knee height - I'm okay with them as long as they don't make a run for it - then I squeal like a big girl and attempt to throw something big over it so I don't have to go near it! Never killed one though - they always get put outside - although this one was put way out front and the door was shut pretty quickly - was waiting for it to knock to come back in:D

• Advertisement

angeldaisy wrote: »
    He (?) was hanging off a curtain around knee height - I'm okay with them as long as they don't make a run for it - then I squeal like a big girl and attempt to throw something big over it so I don't have to go near it! Never killed one though - they always get put outside - although this one was put way out front and the door was shut pretty quickly - was waiting for it to knock to come back in:D

I know! I hate it when you are in your jammies and you have to put one outside (my house has no front garden or owt, goes onto a mainish road!) and you wanna take it as far as possible (like ideally I'd take it to the river) but you don't wanna be seen in your jammies!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

coward wrote: »
    here's a close-up of one i found. it's not in spider heaven.
    but it's hopefully far away from the house :)
    img1813rhs5.th.jpg

Finally someone who dispatches them into the garden rather than senselessly killing something 1,000 times smaller just because the gf is shrieking like a...well...girl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Found this a few weeks ago in our shed. -- I love my camera :) --

288209_10150989356484496_345426247_o.jpg

I had one too! She lived in between my window and frame and kept my bedroom completely fly free :) Named her Charlotte (in a fit of drunken unoriginality). Was nice having her there, I'd always open the window a crack and say hey before closing it again. Wouldn't have liked any harm to come to her. Having said that, the night she disappeared I had to strip my bed and pull it out from the wall/shake out curtains etc because I was also terrified of any physical contact :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

lizmer wrote: »
    Hey I took a picture of this spider outside my apartment. Anyone know what it is or where I could find out because it's freaking me out. And yes....I am in IRELAND!
    lizmer wrote: »
    Here it is from another angle. Please help!
    airmax87 wrote: »
    It's a garden spider, Common & Harmless but you have a big specimen.

I think.. is it called a '(common) Wood Spider'? A female at that. I hand fed one for about 2 years. Males are smaller than the female.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I had one too! She lived in between my window and frame and kept my bedroom completely fly free :) Named her Charlotte (in a fit of drunken unoriginality). Was nice having her there, I'd always open the window a crack and say hey before closing it again. Wouldn't have liked any harm to come to her. Having said that, the night she disappeared I had to strip my bed and pull it out from the wall/shake out curtains etc because I was also terrified of any physical contact :rolleyes:

I'd have been the same! I called my one Countess Bathory, and my dad smushed her :(

I'd have been the same! I called my one Countess Bathory, and my dad smushed her :(

Aw... I'm sad that she died but I am kind of giggling about the use of the word "smushed" lol

Amalgam wrote: »
    I think.. is it called a '(common) Wood Spider'? A female at that. I hand fed one for about 2 years. Males are smaller than the female.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_garden_spider

Weeeel Last night was fun. There was a bugger much like the heuge one in the glass pic above in the mammys room. On the darkest hidey wall he could possibly be. WAS NOT IMPRESSED. I got a beaker (cos I could see me breaking the glass - note to self though buy a SEE THRU beaker, you canni see anything thru a blue one) and paper and a torch. Had the torch in my mouth, it fell and broke into pieces. The paper wouldn't shove on properly so spidey nearly escaped but I managed it. So Proud of myself I have to say.

Then as I was putting spidey in a more acceptable place the little doggy broke out and legged it. So there is me after midnight, legging it down the road in pjs trying to catch the damn dog. I thought I was gonna die. Then when I got back I had to get a cranefly out of herselfs room :mad:

• Advertisement

Not good:(

We have 2 large spiders that live on the ceiling just outside the front door, this morning there was only one there, my son - 7 - told me thats the daddy one cos it's sleeping and the mammy's off hunting!
    Bless him:)

Advertisement