Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Big Spiders.. Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Had two of them living in my door frame at the folks house, Generally i didnt mind once they stayed there, they lost a few comrades who decided to risk going cross-room.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,071 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

My little false widow spider 4 posts back was kept in a mostly sealed earthy box and fed a few small flies for a few months. He ether died or escaped sometime at the beginning of august, couldn't find him/her when I checked the box

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    Ive found a guy a little thicker than this but almost the same, in my shed, with a nest (those bundles of webs) and dont know WTF to do?!

HOOVER the damn thing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I've had two large house spiders, a woodlouse spider (he was in my hair and fell to the duvet when I got out of bed one morning)

And an unidentified black spider with yellow spots in my bathroom that I caught with a glass. Lunged at my dog a few times when he went over to investigate. Lunging spiders, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

hdowney wrote: »
    HOOVER the damn thing up!

And risk letting them live in my hoover?! No thank you, until I get a photo of it it's going nowhere, but I dread having to bring out the bins tomorrow :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    And risk letting them live in my hoover?! No thank you, until I get a photo of it it's going nowhere, but I dread having to bring out the bins tomorrow :(

The above is why I don't empty my hoover, I hoover up so many things with more legs than me and I know they are all in the hoover bag just waiting to attack :eek: .
    These huge monsters we are all seeing at the minute used not to appear until September but in the last couple of years they appear from August onwards.
    Keep your plugs in the sinks,block the shower drains with bottles of shampoo or similar,don't open windows that are near bushes or trees, check under your pillows at night and keep a huge wad of tissue or an old slipper by you for those times that you are forced to use violence. Thats when you are on your own in the house,nobody to protect you and its either you or the spider the size of a kitten on your sitting room wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I was sweeping the floor and I could see a piece of black string poking out from the corner or the skirting board, so I put the brush on it and dragged it out.... the BIGGEST spider I have ever seen! I screamed the house down and ran and hid up stairs while my mother disposed of the spider. He was HUGE, body about half the size of the palm of my hand and legs extended to over the surface of my mams hand. Ugh!

I was sweeping the floor and I could see a piece of black string poking out from the corner or the skirting board, so I put the brush on it and dragged it out.... the BIGGEST spider I have ever seen! I screamed the house down and ran and hid up stairs while my mother disposed of the spider. He was HUGE, body about half the size of the palm of my hand and legs extended to over the surface of my mams hand. Ugh!

I would pass out :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I'd be dead also. And I have manned up a LOT lately due to lack of anyone else to dispose of them. The mammy is worse than me

There is a thread very similar to this one on AH. I didn't read it because I had used up all my courage to read this one :o:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Tillo

Found this fella in my shed yesterday. Any idea what type it is?

2012%2012:47:49

Tillo wrote: »
    Found this fella in my shed yesterday. Any idea what type it is?

2012%2012:47:49

you must be joking me! That is defo a tarantula?!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

I always have a resident spider living on my car mirror. I noticed the most recent occupant had an odd irregular and large web. From a bit of googling I found it might be a false widow spider. So tonight I did a quick recce assuming it would be out at night. Indeed it was, and indeed it is a false widow. I did take some photos but my sd card reader has decided to die so it will have to wait for tomorrow. Judging by the marbling on its back It's Steotoda Nobilis;

http://www.essexfieldclub.org.uk/portal/p/False%20widow%20spider%20Steatoda%20nobilis

It didn't seem to mind me and my camera flash. Tomorrow night I'll catch it and get some real close up photos:)

Heres a photo of the above arachnid. Just from my phone.

finally got a pic of the fellow in my shed, posted on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80331290&postcount=49

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Gremlin wrote: »
    Heres a photo of the above arachnid. Just from my phone.

Why are you leaving it there??

Rasmus wrote: »
    Why are you leaving it there??

Just didn't fancy poking around in the dark with spiders that can bite. Eviction notice is being served this evening! Anyway I want to get some good photos!

Here's a pic of a second S.Nobilis (male false widow) I found on my greenhouse;
    Counted over 40 common garden spiders too.

SNobilis.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭DailyBlaa

Was doing some work on my house and as I was putting away the rumble I saw this big spider chasing and killing the smaller ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

Jesus loook at the celicherae on that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Are these false widows in any way dangerous. I have heard mixed reports..

Are these false widows in any way dangerous. I have heard mixed reports..

I've read mixed reports too. It seems in general you have to really provoke them to get them to bite. When they do, most times its no worse than a bee sting, but some people can get a very bad reaction, I don't *think* anyone has died from a false widow bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Lots of big fuckers in my sitting room this time of year. Huge white backs on some of them and some with small bodies but gigantic, thick, black legs on them. They never live long enough for me to take a picture of them. I just stand all over them. I know they kill flies and I probably shouldn't kill them all but I don't care. I'm not having these fuckers laughing at me in my own home whilst I sob in the corner and scream for mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Not sure if I ever posted this photo of a wolf spider I caught this time last year. The name's Arthur (caught on Arthur's Day :D). He has a brother called Guinness. :D

img1129bf.jpg

Thanks zapperzy, now Im gonna have nightmares!:P

Thanks zapperzy, now Im gonna have nightmares!:P

Your welcome, no trouble at all, I have a few more photos where that one came from! :p

There's a few more of those feckers living behind our fireplace. Only comfort is that I'v never seen one upstairs, they haven't mastered the stairs yet. :)

I have loads of baby wolf spiders in my house, most of them are upstairs as we have a converted attic so they come in the doors of the attic. Creams new favourite hobby is to catch them and bring them downstairs to show me. But he wont kill them hes happy once he hears me scream!

I have loads of baby wolf spiders in my house, most of them are upstairs as we have a converted attic so they come in the doors of the attic. Creams new favourite hobby is to catch them and bring them downstairs to show me. But he wont kill them hes happy once he hears me scream!

I have an excellent spider and fly hunter here. You could borrow her for a week to teach your pair a few tricks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

Those 'wolf spiders' are house spiders (tegenaria species) , But we all tend to call them wolf spiders for some reason or another, I know my mam does for some reason or another.

• Advertisement

airmax87 wrote: »
    Those 'wolf spiders' are house spiders (tegenaria species) , But we all tend to call them wolf spiders for some reason or another, I know my mam does for some reason or another.

Is it because they hunt their prey? I fed a few earwigs to Arthur and it was entertaining to say the least to watch him hunt! :eek:

Advertisement