Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you can add to it, as the series progresses then great.
    Otherwise it is like any "Boxset" that comes out and is not complete.

I think this is the "Phase One" Box set. Hopefully there will be a seperate Phase 2 one after Avengers 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think this is the "Phase One" Box set. Hopefully there will be a seperate Phase 2 one after Avengers 2.

Money grab in other words. It would be very easy to release the inserts to the "phase 1" set, in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah I wouldn't say money grab as it's gonna be years and years before all the next avengers individual films will be out and then avengers 2 so people don't wanna be waiting that long for a box set. Then when phase 2 is out, people would want a new box set for storage, not an 6 - 8 year old brief case.

Interested in this Guardians of the Galaxy film being a prequel to the Avengers 2.

With the latest announcements of Fantastic 4 and Daredevil reboots and also new spidey trilogy, it's clear Fox & Sony aren't giving up their rights to Disney.

Pity, those rights could be used so much better with Disney butit's all about the money I spose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ah I wouldn't say money grab as it's gonna be years and years before all the next avengers individual films will be out and then avengers 2 so people don't wanna be waiting that long for a box set. Then when phase 2 is out, people would want a new box set for storage, not an 6 - 8 year old brief case.
    its only 3 years, i can wait ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Hopefully phase two will be a replica of the Infinity Gauntlet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,802 ✭✭✭✭Basq

In Whedon We Trust!

He's signed on to direct the sequel!
    Breaking news: It was just announced on the Walt Disney Investors Conference Call that Joss Whedon will return for The Avengers sequel. Whedon is signed to both write and direct the upcoming sequel. Disney confirmed that Whedon is also involved in the development of the previously-rumored long-lead ABC live-action television series which will be set inside the Marvel cinematic universe.

Whedon had previously said that he was “very torn” about coming back:

“It’s an enormous amount of work telling what is ultimately somebody else’s story, even though I feel like I did get to put myself into it. But at the same time, I have a bunch of ideas, and they all seem really cool.”

Marvel is notoriously cheap when it comes to contracts, so some fans were worried that a deal wouldn’t be made. I think everyone will be excited that Whedon is back for the next one. If I were Kevin Feige I would secure Whedon to a long term contract as an executive producer, overseeing the marvel universe on a Pixar braintrust-level. The Avengers is being tentatively planned for a Summer 2015 release, although Disney and Marvel have not formally announced a date. If that is still the plan, expect filming to begin in early 2014 (April is my bet).

We have no more details about the series, but fans have speculated that it will probably center around SHIELD and possibly introduce third/fourth tier Marvel superheros to the masses.

Wahey!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Highlights from a Chinese bootleg:

tumblr_m8cqp6GFEz1qi0qo0.jpg

tumblr_m8cqwxItxA1qi0qo0.jpg

tumblr_m8cqyi7pb31qi0qo0.jpg

Moar: http://bileto.tumblr.com/post/28858678193

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Whedon, regardless of me being a fan since Buffy started, bores me with his "it's always difficult to tell what is essentially someone else's story" schtick.

Just take the pay cheque pal and give us something that is more than just decent. ;)

Whedon, regardless of me being a fan since Buffy started, bores me with his "it's always difficult to tell what is essentially someone else's story" schtick.

Just take the pay cheque pal and give us something that is more than just decent. ;)

Nice way of telling the studio execs to stay the hell away, from my film

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Funny you should say that, while I thought the Avengers was better than the couple of other Marvel films I've seen (Iron Man was decent enough though the third act was a letdown, Thor was just bland) it's still "just decent" compared to almost everything else I've seen where he's been involved, and I have little doubt that the discrepancy is down to constraints put in place by Marvel Studios.

I don't know how interested I am in Avengers 2: Team-up Boogaloo. A Marvel Universe TV show with Whedon at the helm, however, could be very good indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fysh wrote: »
    Funny you should say that, while I thought the Avengers was better than the couple of other Marvel films I've seen (Iron Man was decent enough though the third act was a letdown, Thor was just bland) it's still "just decent" compared to almost everything else I've seen where he's been involved, and I have little doubt that the discrepancy is down to constraints put in place by Marvel Studios.

I want to set up a support group for those of us who thought The Avengers was 'just decent'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah it was fun, had some smart dialogue in it in places, but I didn't think it the cinematic crack-cocaine others believe it to be. The script wobbled on more than one occasion & the less said about the alien invasion, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah it was fun, had some smart dialogue in it in places, but I didn't think it the cinematic crack-cocaine others believe it to be. The script wobbled on more than one occasion & the less said about the alien invasion, the better.
    so if the avengers is my morning cup of tea, what film is crystal meth,

don ramo wrote: »

Vertigo? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Hard-Boiled

Much as I enjoyed the Avengers it really is a long way from the classic that most make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, it's a very entertaining film but the finale is so derivative of the last Transformers finale that you would have trouble telling them apart. In the past year alone, The Raid has blown the Avengers away as the action spectacle of the year. It's a down and dirty little film with some of the most inventive moments in many a year. Really cannot recommend it enough though be warned it's a far more visceral film than the Avengers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Much as I enjoyed the Avengers it really is a long way from the classic that most make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, it's a very entertaining film but the finale is so derivative of the last Transformers finale that you would have trouble telling them apart. In the past year alone, The Raid has blown the Avengers away as the action spectacle of the year. It's a down and dirty little film with some of the most inventive moments in many a year. Really cannot recommend it enough though be warned it's a far more visceral film than the Avengers.

I think that's part of my issue - I was looking forward to The Raid much more so than The Avengers, and saw The Raid first. At that point the best any other film could hope for was to be the second-best film I've seen this summer, but even at that I'd say TDKR pips Avengers.

he whole shared-universe thing was interesting, but as with the rest of the Marvel films it just didn't feel as ambitious as Nolan's Batman films have done - it's like the Avengers is easily the best Marvel superhero film so far but they're still being made to a mold where silly costumes and a certain degree of "oh come on, they're superheroes, just leave your brain at the door" is expected of the audience, while Nolan decided to approach his films without that baggage and it stands to their credit.

Weirdly enough, I'd say my second favourite Marvel-inspired film is Blade, because it's the only film I can think of based on a Marvel property which is both decent and not infused with that weirdly camp "we can't take this in any way seriously, it's superheroes/comics!" vibe...and even at that, I'm guessing that's because the comic link wasn't something they pushed as part of the marketing. Don't talk to me about the sequels, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the final act action mashup is the worst part of both Avengers and TDKR tbh, both had great middle acts and then degenerate into things exploding. TDKR especially, Batman talking to an upside down Joker in TDK carried more weight to it than all the sh1t blowing up in TDKR. I loved Avengers, was hugely entertaining. this summer overall has been pretty disappointing, with Prometheus being a huge letdown which admittedly looks ****ing gorgeous and deserves a star for Fassbender alone.

I think a major problem of mine with The Avengers is that the whole thing just felt so frivolous and kind of pointless. There's nothing wrong with that, but little in the film felt like it was of major consequence - the status quo is simply reinstated at the end, and the cynic in me felt hard done by that it felt like an advertisement for yet another avalanche of Marvel productions. TDKR, for all its flaws, at least had lots of fascinating themes, social contexts and character insights to engage with outside of the fun superhero stuff (I also thought it was a far more thrilling spectacle movie, but it's too late for an argument that pointless :pac:).

Most of the time with film I can completely see the other side of the argument: why people liked / disliked it when I didn't. Can completely see both sides of the Prometheus and TDKR camps, to continue that comparison. But given some of the more extreme praise that has been leveled at the Avengers ('best film of the year', even 'one of the best ever' from a few minority voices) I personally cannot marry my experience of an enjoyable but completely disposable film with that of those who loved it. And there's loads of people whose opinions I really, really respect and I tend to agree with who fall into the opposite camp of us cynical naysayers (by which I mean the 6/10ers ;)) when it comes to this film. I guess this was one of those films that simply wasn't for me (although I don't necessarily agree with the 'if you read the comics you would have liked it' hypothetical, as that's never stopped my enjoyment of countless other adaptations).

But hey, let's hope Whedon has much more creative control second time around and manages to let that unique voice of his sing. There's a few hints of it in this first one, but I think he has a genuinely great blockbuster in him, even if IMO he didn't deliver that with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I think I liked it so much because alot of people were expecting a train crash, but they did a great job integrating all those characters with a very good plot.

I think trying to cram some of Christopher Nolans "social commentary" into it would have ruined it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It is a good film, but I just didn't find it to be very interesting. I don't think it's because it lacks social commentary or "deep" issues, that wouldn't bother me. It's just, to me, it lacked the heart of the solo films.

Give me a choice between watching each Marvel film and this is how I would order it in terms of preference:

1. Captain America
    2. Thor
    3. Iron Man
    4. The Avengers
    5. The Incredible Hulk
    6. Iron Man 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Loki was a weak villian imo. Tom hiddlestone gave a great performance and all that but I thought the avengers deserved a better villian. I would of went for a red skull and Loki team up or a red skull and hydra re - emergance

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ricero wrote: »
    Loki was a weak villian imo. Tom hiddlestone gave a great performance and all that but I thought the avengers deserved a better villian. I would of went for a red skull and Loki team up or a red skull and hydra re - emergance

no Loki is a great villain, because Loki wins, not the Avengers.

krudler wrote: »
    no Loki is a great villain, because Loki wins, not the Avengers.

Well that is the hope anyway. Be bit of a damp squib if not

It's good to see Fox giving Dare Devil back to Marvel, hopefully they can back the rest from Fox and Sony down the line. Just reading Marvel Civil War again and would be unbelievably epic to make a film out of it.

Anyway, I'll be looking to get The Avengers on Blu Ray when it's out and I see a few different versions, dvd, 2D BR, 3D BR and Sainsburys BR limited edition.

I'm looking for the 3 hour cut film with the extra Cap bits and other storylines that were left out. I want to make sure I get the right one.

SAINSBURY’S SPECIAL EDITION

Pre-order now - http://bit.ly/OkAC1K

Exclusive Cover Artwork

Exclusive 90-minute bonus disc documentary featurette ‘Marvel Studios: Building A Cinematic Universe’

Blu-ray disc contains –

- Avengers Assemble feature film
    - Marvel One-Shot: Item 47 short film
    - A Visual Journey – Behind the scenes documentary featurette
    Looking at the sets, visual effects, and cinematography.
    - Gag Reel
    - Deleted Scenes
    Alternate Opening - Maria Hill Interrogated By The World Security Council
    Extended Scene – Loki And Clint Barton Strategize
    Steve Rogers – A Man Out Of Time
    Nick Fury And The World Security Council
    Extended Scene - Black Widow & Hawkeye Viaduct Fight (Raw Fight Footage)
    Nick Fury And Maria Hill Discuss The World Security Council
    Extended Scene – Bruce Banner And The Security Guard
    Alternate Ending - Maria Hill interrogated By The World Security Council

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

^^That looks like just the theatrical cut as far as i can see. I'd say we might have to wait a while for the extended one. there was talk of a limited cinema release of the extended cut.

Re Daredevil, yeah it's good to see the rights go back to Marvel although apparently Marvel told Fox they could keep them if they gave them Silver Surfer and Galactus but the negaotiations collapsed. Considering the direction they seem to be going with Guardians of the Galaxy and Thanos showing up it might have been better to get Galactus and SS over Daredevil. Oh well.

Joe Carnahan was meant to be making Daredevil, I saw a sizzle reel he did and he was going for a dark gritty 1970's set gangster movie type setting. Could have been brilliant.

Didn't know about that deal, yeah SS would have come in very handy but Galactus would have been brilliant.

The biggest sickner is that Fox are just going to make a balls of it and the rights will be wasted in a crap film.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Didn't know about that deal, yeah SS would have come in very handy but Galactus would have been brilliant.

The biggest sickner is that Fox are just going to make a balls of it and the rights will be wasted in a crap film.

For the second time. They made Galactus into a cloud the last time!!

I never saw rise of the silver surfer but I saw a picture of 'galactus' all right. what the hell was that about!

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    For the second time. They made Galactus into a cloud the last time!!

Yeah FFS, all you got to see was a big shadow of the Galactus helmet, through the cloud

Advertisement