Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

i think text speak should be banned its evil
    i tnk txt spk shd b bnd, its evl.
    totes agree wiv u, so annyng 2 rd lke bt its sch a spce svr!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Agreed and it further exacerbates the fact that the leaving cert often sends the wrong student into the wrong course. Those extra points could ensure someone more blessed with maths gets into chemistry over a natural chemistry student ect.

The department of education are to blame for the dumbing down and no doubt about it. I can only talk about the science subjects but for years science lecturers in third level institutions have being fighting the department of education along with the teaching unions on this issue.
    Actually I have to disagree slightly here. If people don't have a basic grasp of honours level maths at LC level they're going to have a very tough time later on studying for a science degree, whether that be in physics, chemistry or biology, regardless of any 'natural' ability.

For the most part lectures at third level couldn't give a toss about what science subjects you did at LC - they usually end up teaching it all over again in 1st year. What is a problem however is maths. I know when I was doing my science degree it was mandatory to pick maths as one of my 1st year modules

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Actually I have to disagree slightly here. If people don't have a basic grasp of honours level maths at LC level they're going to have a very tough time later on studying for a science degree, whether that be in physics, chemistry or biology, regardless of any 'natural' ability.

For the most part lectures at third level couldn't give a toss about what science subjects you did at LC - they usually end up teaching it all over again in 1st year. What is a problem however is maths. I know when I was doing my science degree it was mandatory to pick maths as one of my 1st year modules

Chemistry is the most important aptitude to have in a chemistry degree and in biochemistry. Maths doesnt supercede the need for these in either degree. I barely use maths at all bar a few formulas and I only had two maths modules in my first year science (linear algebra and calculus) for either one I doubt honours maths is needed. If I was going onto to a maths degree then fair enough but I and most others are not. To reward people extra points for degrees that are barely even related to maths is madness imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Sea Filly wrote: »
    When people say "SJP is ugly", I reply "Yes, and your point is?". Tends to shut them up. I don't think she's great, but fair play to her for making in a profession where women are expected to be purdy.

SJP is not ugly

i personally believe when she has her hair back it makes her look quite odd... but when her hair is down she can be quite striking

And im not gay... but i am a woman :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

And im not gay... but i am a woman :p

They have a special name for you. They call them lesbians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I think plain boiled/steamed potatoes are disgusting.

Roast potatoes on the other hand..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Chemistry is the most important aptitude to have in a chemistry degree and in biochemistry. Maths doesnt supercede the need for these in either degree. I barely use maths at all bar a few formulas and I only had two maths modules in my first year science (linear algebra and calculus) for either one I doubt honours maths is needed. If I was going onto to a maths degree then fair enough but I and most others are not. To reward people extra points for degrees that are barely even related to maths is madness imho.
    I agree. Only done pass math for the LC and even then didn't do great. Ended up having to do math every year during my degree and never found it that difficult. It's mostly statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 themagichobo

-- Mario Kart and Call of Duty are overrated.
    -- I hate GAA.
    -- The Godfather put me to sleep.
    -- P!nk > Beyoncé
    -- I don't like Elvis Presley or Bob Marley at all.
    -- Father Ted wasn't that funny.
    -- McDonald's isn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

I've never seen a Disney film that I've liked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Semen, when snorted, is an excellent nasal decongestant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

In my opinion;

Ireland should bring in a three strike policy. For all crimes. Eg. If you park illegally, on the third occasion your license is revoked. (see broadsheet.ie for regular parking w@nk stains)

Anyone who blatantly disregards the most basic rules of society, wether it be parking in a handicapped spot, wearing pajamas in public, smoking in a car with children in it, not picking up your dogs **** etc, should be named and shamed in the local paper or online, and given a 'strike', and on the third strike face a fine AND prison sentence.

Single mothers should be 'fixed' after their second bastard child, or face losing benefit.

Long term unemployed should be given unskilled jobs such as cleaning up the local community or face losing benefit.

Junkies upon registering with a clinic, should be 'fixed' if they do not get clean within 3 months.

Before starting your first course in college post leaving cert, and as part of the CAO application process, you should have to complete an apptitude test. This will have weight on wether or not you are suitable for the course. Obviously as mature students this wouldn't be fair, and as the cost is your own you should have feedom of choice on what course you decide to take.

Getting a six year sentence for smuggling garlic, compared with 4/5 for rape or manslaughter is wrong. The latter should receive a much heaftier sentence, there is no doubt about that. Had he been on his third strike, he should have got 6 years for his crime though. He broke the law, knew it was wrong and still did it.

I am sick of the assholes in this country thinking they can get away with breaking the law. Garlic smugglers, junkies, drug dealers, bankers and politicians. They are no different and should be punished for their actions.

In my opinion, this country is a kip, and not entirely because of financial problems. There is a moral and ethical decay. Society is crumbling around us. In my opinion it will be a long long time before it can regain some dignity and stability. Why would tourists want to come here and inject cash into the economy, when junkies are openly shooting up and drinking on the boardwalk while their dealers operate freely, or people are walking around in pajamas, with complete disregard for traffic and others, as if they own the place.

In my opinion, I feel I am somewhere in the middle of society. I know drugs, being unemployed and not bothering my hole, walking around in cheap pajamas at any time in public, day or night. I know these things to be wrong. But I also know that driving a ****ing range rover at 150mph down a country road, crossing lanes, half cut, because your family has money and a good solicitor, insider dealing, corruption, nepitism and so on. I also know these things to be wrong.

I love this country, I really do, but I am not proud to be Irish. There is nothing to be proud of right now. I wish there was something I could do. It makes me physically sick when I witness these pests at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

nothing to be proud of right now. I wish there was something I could do. It makes me physically sick when I witness these pests at work.

Easy there tiger.

You're trying to sound like this :-

4ru6ae.jpg

But it's coming out like this :-

vcz4es.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Ladies Day at the races, an excuse for the wimmens to put on hats resembling half-plucked pheasants being rogered by fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Anyone who blatantly disregards the most basic rules of society, wether it be parking in a handicapped spot, wearing pajamas in public, smoking in a car with children in it, not picking up your dogs **** etc, should be named and shamed in the local paper or online, and given a 'strike', and on the third strike face a fine AND prison sentence.

Single mothers should be 'fixed' after their second bastard child, or face losing benefit.

Long term unemployed should be given unskilled jobs such as cleaning up the local community or face losing benefit.

I'd really like to pick your brain. What's it like being perfection personified? :)

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Easy there tiger.

You're trying to sound like this :-

4ru6ae.jpg

But it's coming out like this :-

vcz4es.jpg

I'm not trying to sound like anything or anyone. I genuinely feel sick when I see these pyjama clad whores and 'hands down the bags' scum crossing the street, knowing full well, that my taxes are in some tiny tiny part paying for the privilege.

The other day I was driving down the road, coming back from my sisters house in lucan, and there was a woman walking what looked like an un muzzled pitbull. They had stopped while the dog took a ****, and then continued on walking. I stopped beside her, and asked her ' are you going to pick up your dog ****?'.

She replied with suprising speed and confidence, as if she had said it a hundred times before, 'I've no bag in me pockeh, an i'm gonna come back an gerrih, anyway its none oyore ****in business in anyway, so f**k off an mind yore own business'.

I mean what can you do in that situation? You can't do anything. Someone, a ****ing pest on society, clearly disregarding the community and her own self respect and dignity, and not just that but the law as well. I mean what do you do there? What can you do? Not even Travis could do something there.

Some people might comment that its only dog ****. But if it were just dog **** it could be cleaned up. Its not! It's not just dog ****. Its the f**king lack of respect for the fellow man. She might as well have dropped her kacks and taken a big massive sh*t herself. Over all of us. It's not acceptable behaviour. And I am f**king sick of it.

Quorum wrote: »
    I'd really like to pick your brain. What's it like being perfection personified? :)

PM me if you want to pick my brain. I am very far from perfect, and everybody can get stuck in a jam or make mistakes. Its human nature. I have compasion and understanding.

My own sister is a single mother, with 2 boys. I understand how the system works. The more sprogs you pop out the more the state picks up the tab. It's morally wrong! It shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Why are people on 100k+ salaries, driving around in range rovers and claiming child allowance? The governments response? Give them the option to refuse it! The system is not working and society is falling apart at the seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

"Yer man"? That was Liam Gallagher, the guy who originally sang it!

The only version of that song i like is the album version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

In my opinion, this country is a kip, and not entirely because of financial problems. There is a moral and ethical decay. Society is crumbling around us. In my opinion it will be a long long time before it can regain some dignity and stability.

People have been saying that sort of stuff for over 4000 years now. Don't you have something slightly different to say? Perhaps that it wasn't like this in your day, when morality and ethics were unimpeachable and there was no murder, rape, drug or child abuse? No doubt the sun shone brighter, the summers were longer and orgasms were three times as good.

For fuck's sake get some perspective, or at least learn some history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

My own sister is a single mother, with 2 boys.
    ... making it all the more baffling that you'd use the term "bastard child" and advocate "fixing" women in her situation after child 2. "Single mothers" is way too vague - there are single mothers in all types of situations rather than all wanting to get lone parent benefits.

Madam_X wrote: »
    ... making it all the more baffling that you'd use the term "bastard child" and advocate "fixing" women in her situation after child 2. "Single mothers" is way too vague - there are single mothers in all types of situations rather than all wanting to get lone parent benefits.

Obviously I'm talking about 'single mothers on benefit', and not all single mothers, as I said 'their benefits would stop' if they refused the 'fixing'.

And 'bastard child' is a perfectly acceptable term.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

And 'bastard child' is a perfectly acceptable term.

Yes, in the 1950s. No longer appropriate now, nor in fact legal. I'd love to see you calling your sister's kids bastards and come out unbruised. Anyway, you're nothing but a right-wing troll, move along please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Not to most people. No need to dehumanise the kids, not their fault. I wouldn't believe for a second you'd find it acceptable for someone to refer to your nephews as bastards.

Confab wrote: »
    People have been saying that sort of stuff for over 4000 years now. Don't you have something slightly different to say? Perhaps that it wasn't like this in your day, when morality and ethics were unimpeachable and there was no murder, rape, drug or child abuse? No doubt the sun shone brighter, the summers were longer and orgasms were three times as good.

For fuck's sake get some perspective, or at least learn some history.

Today, when an education can be obtained, for free, on the internet, I think it is all the more reason to value and encourage manners and goodwill towards others. History has absolutely nothing to do with this. In the past you got the **** kicked out of you if did wrong. I'm not saying thats the answer. I don't know what the answer is. It's my opinion that this country is a kip. It might be something people have been saying for long time, but it doesn't make it any less of an opinion.

With regard to perspective, Ireland is not russia or north korea. I'm not completely blind to the fact rur standard of living is very high on the grand scale of things. I know this. But it's still a kip. When it becomes acceptable to walk into a high street shop, and walk out with a watch or a pair of sunglasses without paying for it, and if caught get released 20 minutes later, then yes, it's a kip.

And this IS my day! I'm 30 something, looking to get married and buy a house. Settle down and have some kids. I work hard, I study part time and I pay taxes. I contribute positively to society. In my opinion you are the one with the problem. You think its acceptable whats going on just because its happened before or is happening elsewhere.

Where is your f**king pride?

Madam_X wrote: »
    Not to most people. No need to dehumanise the kids, not their fault. I wouldn't believe for a second you'd find it acceptable for someone to refer to your nephews as bastards.

Fair point. I wouldn't like that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Today, when an education can be obtained, for free, on the internet, I think it is all the more reason to value and encourage manners and goodwill towards others. History has absolutely nothing to do with this. In the past you got the **** kicked out of you if did wrong...........

Yep. Or you got locked away and sodomised while being used for slave labour. Led to the kind of honest decent leadership that made us the state we are today. The good oul days....

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

In my opinion;

Ireland should bring in a three strike policy. For all crimes. Eg. If you park illegally, on the third occasion your license is revoked. (see broadsheet.ie for regular parking w@nk stains)

Junkies upon registering with a clinic, should be 'fixed' if they do not get clean within 3 months.

Before starting your first course in college post leaving cert, and as part of the CAO application process, you should have to complete an apptitude test. This will have weight on wether or not you are suitable for the course. Obviously as mature students this wouldn't be fair, and as the cost is your own you should have feedom of choice on what course you decide to take.

Getting a six year sentence for smuggling garlic, compared with 4/5 for rape or manslaughter is wrong. The latter should receive a much heaftier sentence, there is no doubt about that. Had he been on his third strike, he should have got 6 years for his crime though. He broke the law, knew it was wrong and still did it.

I am sick of the assholes in this country thinking they can get away with breaking the law. Garlic smugglers, junkies, drug dealers, bankers and politicians. They are no different and should be punished for their actions.

In my opinion, this country is a kip, and not entirely because of financial problems. There is a moral and ethical decay. Society is crumbling around us. In my opinion it will be a long long time before it can regain some dignity and stability. Why would tourists want to come here and inject cash into the economy, when junkies are openly shooting up and drinking on the boardwalk while their dealers operate freely, or people are walking around in pajamas, with complete disregard for traffic and others, as if they own the place.

In my opinion, I feel I am somewhere in the middle of society. I know drugs, being unemployed and not bothering my hole, walking around in cheap pajamas at any time in public, day or night. I know these things to be wrong. But I also know that driving a ****ing range rover at 150mph down a country road, crossing lanes, half cut, because your family has money and a good solicitor, insider dealing, corruption, nepitism and so on. I also know these things to be wrong.

I love this country, I really do, but I am not proud to be Irish. There is nothing to be proud of right now. I wish there was something I could do. It makes me physically sick when I witness these pests at work.

Sounds like you should run for government...

You have outline REAL issues facing Ireland, not just Dublin unfortunately the Government isn't working toward fixing society... they are NOT producing more jobs, they are NOT trying to catch and lock up Drug Dealers, they are NOT working for Ireland..

Time for Change if you ask me!

vader65 wrote: »
    Sounds like you should run for government...

You have outline REAL issues facing Ireland, not just Dublin unfortunately the Government isn't working toward fixing society... they are NOT producing more jobs, they are NOT trying to catch and lock up Drug Dealers, they are NOT working for Ireland..

Time for Change if you ask me!

I agree, but how can we force a change?

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Well Laws ect stricter punishment for Dealers and drug users/pushers punishment for double jobbing and scamming the social welfare. Get the gards in line! Our government needs to change

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Hopefully in a way nothing to do with your ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Tea with milk is fecking vile.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement