Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Report - MCD blamed for violence at SHM gig

• 03-08-2012 9:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mcd-blamed-for-violence-at-swedish-house-mafia-gig-3188748.html

Summary of findings
    ? Greater consideration should be given to venue selection for electronic music.
    ? MCD did not have appropriate security measures in place for the Swedish House Mafia concert and associated crowd demographic.
    ? Security personel were unclear of MCD's policy with regard to checking age and removing intoxicated people from the venue.
    ? Gardai had limited access to CCTV at the event because it was controlled by a private contractor hired by MCD.

Does 'electronic music' have to have special consideration because of the people it attracts? IDK seems harsh on the other 59k people who behaved and enjoyed themselves to be tarring them with the same brush.

MCD maybe could have been better prepared but what prepares you for knife weilding manaics?

Why didnt the the gardai raise these issues before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

It's an absolute joke of a report tbh. Call in Celine Dion for some good revellers at a concert :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It shoes how out of touch they are

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

How do MCD get to keep their license when they will have no discourse about the events they run?. All they seem to do is state they have no comment to make. That seems to be a good enough statement to get through the next storm that arises every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I genuinely think that gig was infiltrated by one or two organised dealers and their henchmen. They should never have been admitted and if they were not, the gig would have turned out very different. Drugs should be brought in by punters and shared out like they always have. By letting in scumbag dealers you're asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

how are they responsible for violence? surely the people who caused it would be responsible for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This would never had happened if they let Big Tom play instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

I genuinely think that gig was infiltrated by one or two organised dealers and their henchmen. They should never have been admitted and if they were not, the gig would have turned out very different. Drugs should be brought in by punters and shared out like they always have. By letting in scumbag dealers you're asking for trouble.

Those dealers were called Bulmers and Smirnoff were they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

Eh wut? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I wonder will MCD try to sue the Gardai now...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The report also recommends letting the Stone Roses play for 3 nights next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Duggy747 wrote: »
    This would never had happened if they let Big Tom play instead.

I don't know, I had the misfortune to be at a Big Tom concert once in a Hotel Ballroom and there was "a quare hape of baytings" as described by the bouncer. I suppose the fact that Big Tom was playing with The Mainliners, I genuinely think that confused some of the clientele as to what type of concert it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

davet82 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mcd-blamed-for-violence-at-swedish-house-mafia-gig-3188748.html

Summary of findings

Does 'electronic music' have to have special consideration because of the people it attracts? IDK seems harsh on the other 59k people who behaved and enjoyed themselves to be tarring them with the same brush.

MCD maybe could have been better prepared but what prepares you for knife weilding manaics?

To be fair, what i think they are stating is the youth crowd attracted to the event are more likely to scale barriers than their adult counterparts.

Having it right in the middle of an urban populace with relative ease of access for said youth to by pass the security teams by scaling fences, the venue is not ideal. I mean you cant scale fences into the O2 as such.

So i think what you are getting at is misdirected.

If the Phoenix park was for instance in the midlands, in a field surrounded by fields the access would not be as easy.

get it ?

i hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

? Gardai had limited access to CCTV at the event because it was controlled by a private contractor hired by MCD.

What does this mean? Do the Gardaí not have powers to view all the CCTV they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

godtabh wrote: »
    It shoes how out of touch they are

i think you took it up wrong, ive detailed it above in my previous post.

the points are fairly valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

'electronic music'

Wow, now THERE"S a catch all term!

Better not get Kraftwerk or Brian Eno in without drafting in the army rangers next time.

I think they should narrow it down to Skanger House

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Sky King wrote: »
    I think they should narrow it down to Skanger House

Or Cheeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnneeeessss, man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭conorhal

DrumSteve wrote: »
    how are they responsible for violence? surely the people who caused it would be responsible for it.

They didn't check ID's and allowed underage revellers in
    They didn't refuse entry to poeple that were wrecked drunk or off their tits, many of which were under age.
    They seized knives, hammers and a variety of other weapons and still allowed these people to enter the venue. In fact there seems to have been no policy of refusal of entry at all.
    They failed to secure the perimiter fencing that resulted in a large number of people without tickets to flood into the gig.
    The gig itself was poorly policed and managed, while the company claim that they complied with the regulation requirements, and in fact exceeded them, you have to ask if, given the nature of the gig, compliance was enough. There seems to have been no consideration for the kind of measures that would be needed rather than the measures they were contracted to meet.

All these factors contributed to the trouble that kicked off.

I would hardly absolve the Guards though, the total absense of policing along the route to the gig was apalling.
    Near the gates of the Phoenix park I saw some giant goon standing in the middle of the road threatening a taxi driver and other cars that were forced to drive around him, and I could only wonder where are the Guards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

listermint wrote: »
    To be fair, what i think they are stating is the youth crowd attracted to the event are more likely to scale barriers than their adult counterparts.

Having it right in the middle of an urban populace with relative ease of access for said youth to by pass the security teams by scaling fences, the venue is not ideal. I mean you cant scale fences into the O2 as such.

So i think what you are getting at is misdirected.

If the Phoenix park was for instance in the midlands, in a field surrounded by fields the access would not be as easy.

get it ?

i hope so.

eh what exactly do you think i'm getting at? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

DrumSteve wrote: »
    They are not responsible for the violence, they are however responsible for NOT taking all reasonable precautions to prevent such violence at an event that they organized. In my opinion the Gardai are also reponsible for not taking steps as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Gardai had limited access to CCTV at the event because it was controlled by a private contractor hired by MCD.

Eh....how is this even an issue ? Surely the Gardai have the power to confiscate all tapes when people have been stabbed ?

And if not why not ? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

highly retarded comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Eh....how is this even an issue ? Surely the Gardai have the power to confiscate all tapes when people have been stabbed ?

And if not why not ? :o
    They did have access AFTER the event, the Gardai , as I understand it, are complaining that they didnt have access to monitor events on the cctv, which could possible have alerted them to potential troublespots before they flared up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

I blame Pope John Paul II

He started all this Lark in the Park stuff in the 70s

Back then the big story was public fornication

Now it's escalated to stabbings, crack cocaine & somehow the Mafia are involved.

Bloody Italians!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Users who mention MCD again will be banned, you have been warned.

Ahhhh, I miss the noughties.

users who mention that when you mention mcd you will be banned, should be banned :P

getting old now dude

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Ah, come on now. What have Mc Donalds done wrong?

You've really answered your first question yourself, with the statement that follows it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Summary of findings

So hang on; there there were three main groups that had come in from blame when this story broke: The Garda Siochana, the private security firm, and MCD themselves.

Now one of those groups have written a report implicating another.

Obvious bias much? They're not realistically going to publish a port implicating themselves, are they.

You've really answered your first question yourself, with the statement that follows it.

I know, so i'm not missing anything then? :)

• Advertisement

I know, so i'm not missing anything then? :)

:o
    Totally misread that. Sorry.

Advertisement