Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N24 Limerick-Waterford upgrade

Options

Comments

Benefits Mayo? What scenario would have a trucker going via Rosslare to get to Anywhere in Connaught, never mind Mayo? DC/Motorway from Paris-England-Wales-Dublin-Athlone before you hit roads that are in any way comparable with the piss poor N24, the alternative is not worth contemplating.

Some lorries cannot even fit on the N5 through Ballaghadereen town (due to a very tight narrow 90 degree turn)so lots go the longer route via the N17/18 to Galway, then Dublin. Those that do travel on the N5 do so mainly at night because of the shocking narrow twisty roads and slow speeds mainly in Roscommon. Several exporting multinationals from Mayo had pressed the government to make improvements due to the damage been caused to products on route. They had threatened to pull out. Resulting in the now planned Ballaghdereen bypass starting this Winter and the soon to be opened Longford bypass. All low cost projects.
    http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/26268

Maybe the factories in Tipperary and Limerick could try this lobbying approach, but i'd be surprised if the conditions are as bad. If it is really effecting production and jobs and not just an inconvenience the Government would have to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

fricatus wrote: »
    I'm surprised that Western TDs haven't been more vocal on the matter, but the fact that the road is mostly in Tipp means that most don't look outside their constituencies to see the bigger picture!
    Sadly one of the problems with our current political system of electing National politicians on a local basis - which is why it's so badly in need of reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Bards

Benefits Mayo? What scenario would have a trucker going via Rosslare to get to Anywhere in Connaught, never mind Mayo? DC/Motorway from Paris-England-Wales-Dublin-Athlone before you hit roads that are in any way comparable with the piss poor N24, the alternative is not worth contemplating.

Trucks that may want to go/ come from southern Wales/England perhaps or god forbid Northern France?

E.G Sligo - Galway - Limerick - Waterford - Rosslare ==== Fishguard/Pembroke

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Those that do travel on the N5 do so mainly at night because of the shocking narrow twisty roads and slow speeds mainly in Roscommon..

Nothing can be done about the N5 in Roscommon IMO so take it to an N5 thread. :(

The N24 is another goat track except that it connects Galway/Limerick with Waterford and is of way more national significance than the N5.

The N24 is by far the worst major N Road nowadays and lesser routes such as the N22 and N5 have notably shorter really crap sections than the N24.

Galway Rosslare is mainly via Tullamore and Carlow nowadays.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Nothing can be done about the N5 in Roscommon IMO so take it to an N5 thread. :(

The N24 is another goat track except that it connects Galway/Limerick with Waterford and is of way more national significance than the N5.

The N24 is by far the worst major N Road nowadays and lesser routes such as the N22 and N5 have notably shorter really crap sections than the N24.

Galway Rosslare is mainly via Tullamore and Carlow nowadays.

Surely Industry using the N24 should be using all resources to get it done or at least on the governments agenda. Even a high tolled option like the Galway to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Limerick74

Irish Rail recently advertised an information night (Tuesday 24th July) in the Ballykisteen Hotel, Limerick Junction between 5pm and 8pm. They will provide information on the planned N24 Road Closure at Oola scheduled for 20th - 27th August as well as information on the Bridge Replacement Works currently underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

Limerick74 wrote: »
    Irish Rail recently advertised an information night (Tuesday 24th July) in the Ballykisteen Hotel, Limerick Junction between 5pm and 8pm. They will provide information on the planned N24 Road Closure at Oola scheduled for 20th - 27th August as well as information on the Bridge Replacement Works currently underway.

the way they plan to divert traffic is a disgrace sending people miles and miles out of there way when there is alot shorter route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

DaveJac wrote: »
    the way they plan to divert traffic is a disgrace sending people miles and miles out of there way when there is alot shorter route

What way do they intend diverting traffic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I would agree, except that I don't think the roads involved in the shorter route would be able for the hundreds of large articulated trucks that use the N24 daily.
    charlemont wrote: »
    What way do they intend diverting traffic ?

From what I've heard (so this could be wrong):
    For Limerick-Tipperary bound - turn off at Grange cross - Cappamore - Doon - Cappawhite - Dundrum - Tipperary.

For Tipperary-Limerick bound - in Tipp town, head to Emly - Knocklong - Hospital - Caherconlish and back to the N24.

If the large wind programme mentioned in the infrastructure forum is to happen then I suspect that upgrades to the N80 and the eastern half of the N24 will be required to move those turbines onsite if Waterford is the landing and configuration base...or Arklow or Wicklow.

A built but unopened dualler would also be ideal as a staging area. Lets see Laois / Tipp co cos are quickwitted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I would agree, except that I don't think the roads involved in the shorter route would be able for the hundreds of large articulated trucks that use the N24 daily.

For Limerick-Tipperary bound - turn off at Grange cross - Cappamore - Doon - Cappawhite - Dundrum - Tipperary.

For Tipperary-Limerick bound - in Tipp town, head to Emly - Knocklong - Hospital - Caherconlish and back to the N24.

That's a nice bit out of the way alright.

if they turned people off in monard up to cullen and back into Oola and In Oola turn up into sologhead and back into monard I know the road from oola to sologhead is small when it would be one way it would be ok, locals will go these ways away there wont be a one way and will be traffic jams, truck drivers ect and people having to drive that road everyday will look at a map and see these routes too and take the shorter option

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If the large wind programme mentioned in the infrastructure forum is to happen then I suspect that upgrades to the N80 and the eastern half of the N24 will be required to move those turbines onsite if Waterford is the landing and configuration base...or Arklow or Wicklow.

A built but unopened dualler would also be ideal as a staging area. Lets see Laois / Tipp co cos are quickwitted

When it didnt make it onto the latest government wishlist it wont be built in the next 10 years. If some large equipment is to be moved they will just do rolling closures of the road to the public.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »

To hell with that. That will add at least 30 minutes to the trip. Longer if there are a few slow trucks. I presume if you say you are going to a house or business up the road they will leave you through the roadblock and then you can use the backroads.

touts wrote: »
    To hell with that. That will add at least 30 minutes to the trip. Longer if there are a few slow trucks. I presume if you say you are going to a house or business up the road they will leave you through the roadblock and then you can use the backroads.

will take longer it will take nearly an hour each way id say with traffic

Here is a scan of the advert in the paper for the N24 Road Closure which shows the diversion routes.

Here is a scan of the advert in the paper for the N24 Road Closure which shows the diversion routes.

:eek:
    They can stick that plan up the arse they pulled it from! Unless they have guards manning roadblocks 24-7 they will be lucky if half the traffic follows that detour. There must be 50 different combinations of backroads that would be significantly shorter and if they made them one way for the week it would solve the problem.

When it didnt make it onto the latest government wishlist it wont be built in the next 10 years. If some large equipment is to be moved they will just do rolling closures of the road to the public.

These will be extra extra large needing very straight roads...anyway the big wind announcement came too late to make the gubbiment plan.

I see traffic lights have gone up on another railway bridge with only one lane open. The warning signs say that it is for one week only but we heard that before (about 18 months ago in Oola to be precise). Hopefully yet another part of the road is not about to collapse.

I see traffic lights have gone up on another railway bridge with only one lane open. The warning signs say that it is for one week only but we heard that before (about 18 months ago in Oola to be precise). Hopefully yet another part of the road is not about to collapse.

brooks bridge between oola and pallas green?? council wouldnt leave CIE do what they did in Oola beceause it took them so long, taught they were just having the lights at night? they are doing a patch up job on it bridge apparently not as rusty as the one in oola when they went blasting that to get a clean surface to weld there was nothing to weld to:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Just looking at that suggested map route, surely it would be better for Waterford bound traffic to continue on from Dundrum to Cashel on the R505, pick up the M8 for a short while and rejoin the N24 at Cahir.

I don't know the quality of the R505 between Dundrum and Cashel but I'd be surprised if it was much worse than the R661 back into Tipperary and since both route choices force you to go through a town (Cashel for the R505 and Tipperary for the R661) there's not much savng of time on the proposed route. At least with my suggestion you'd be a good bit further down the N24 when you rejoined it.

Interestingly when I put the start point of the R505 and the endpoint of the N24 at Cahir into Google Maps it gives the route I suggested and a number of other options, none of which are the route shown on the advertisement.

Limerick County Council have approved the N24 road closure for Oola Bridge. Attached is a copy of the notice in Irish Independent.

Anyone have any feedback on how the diversions are working? Haven't had to use them yet but may have to later this week.

The diversions seem to be handling the traffic ok. The diversions add around 20 minutes to the journey. The old Oola Bridge is already dismantled.

The diversions seem to be handling the traffic ok. The diversions add around 20 minutes to the journey. The old Oola Bridge is already dismantled.

20 Minutes??? how fast are you going? no way you can do any of those routes in 20 minutes normal driving espically with traffic ect have they changed from above??

20 Minutes??? how fast are you going? no way you can do any of those routes in 20 minutes normal driving espically with traffic ect have they changed from above??

I said it adds 20 minutes to your journey (i.e. from limerick to tipp town), not that they take 20 minutes. The detour section itself takes around 40 minutes off peak if you are not caught behind a tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

17 years ago, I remember talking to my boss about the state of this road.He was bringing me back from a break down in Limerick. His comment was that for a road that brings tourists intom the country it was an absalute discrace.

For too long, piriority has been about Dublin.

It is about time that we got decent motorway links from the ports that bring in the tourists to this country. Forget the upgrades arround Dublin, the rest of the country would love to have half of what they have up there. It is a national discrace that people come to this country an suffer these roads.

Ahh but sure, dose any one in Dublin care?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

mlumley wrote: »
    17 years ago, I remember talking to my boss about the state of this road.He was bringing me back from a break down in Limerick. His comment was that for a road that brings tourists intom the country it was an absalute discrace.

For too long, piriority has been about Dublin.

It is about time that we got decent motorway links from the ports that bring in the tourists to this country. Forget the upgrades arround Dublin, the rest of the country would love to have half of what they have up there. It is a national discrace that people come to this country an suffer these roads.

Ahh but sure, dose any one in Dublin care?

Oh yawn! Spare me please from this kind of post.

The priority was not about Dublin solely, it was about linking the major cities of the country to Dublin which was necessary according to every report and most of the major companies that invested in Ireland. And Dublin port and airport probably bring far more tourists into the country that anywhere else so that argument is fairly bogus.

If we had gotten our finger out and built the full network as planned then we'd also have the Atlantic corridoor completed by this stage which would have linked the major cities of the country to each other as well. And probably a lot of upgrading on the N24 would have happened. The fact that the plan fell so far behind schedule has nothing to do with Dublin at all.

If you want to be really nit picky about it you could say that the vast majority of the roads built weren't in Dublin at all. In the meantime Dublin's internal transport infrastructure has lagged behind causing major gridlock in the city.

And by the way just in case you think this is a Dublin bias, YES I do live in Dublin but happen to be originally from a town on the N24 so I have a foot in both camps.

this is all on target to be opened monday/tuesday anyway the new bridge is in place one rough layer of road surface on it, but the bridge will still be only one lane when it opens back up for a few more weeks

• Advertisement

this is all on target to be opened monday/tuesday anyway the new bridge is in place one rough layer of road surface on it, but the bridge will still be only one lane when it opens back up for a few more weeks

Looks like they will be reopening the N24 a day earlier today. Yes there will be traffic management for a while as they finish the road works but it's great they finally got the bridge replaced.

Advertisement