Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N24 Limerick-Waterford upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

try this and search for M7 N24 in development location

http://137.191.230.245/pelite/Default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭touts

Sadly two more people killed on the road this morning. The Tipp-Bansha-Cahir stretch must be one of the most dangerous roads in the country.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0327/rta.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

touts wrote: »
    Sadly two more people killed on the road this morning. The Tipp-Bansha-Cahir stretch must be one of the most dangerous roads in the country.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0327/rta.html

Indeed. And according to South Tipp's website, the scheme that would replace that atrocious stretch is frozen. The EIS, which is basically complete since late last year, hasn't even been submitted to An Bord Pleanala yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Having watched the news report on the above accident, it seems the road was not at fault. That particular stretch of N24 is very straight. Head-on collisions like this one, on straight stretches of road, send shivers down my spine.

Amtmann wrote: »
    Having watched the news report on the above accident, it seems the road was not at fault. That particular stretch of N24 is very straight. Head-on collisions like this one, on straight stretches of road, send shivers down my spine.

Actually it's only a "straight stretch" for maybe 400 meters. What makes it particularly lethal is it is the only overtaking opportunity after about 9 miles of really bad bends from Cahir. Past Bansha heading towards Tipperary Town there there is another "straight stretch" of a shorter length and then it is back to 6 miles of terrible bends through woods. So this 400 meters of "straight stretch" is hardly a ringing endorsement of the quality N24 and the NRA (it struck me that the surprising emphasis on "straight stretch" meant the NRA PR department was on the phone to RTE as soon as the accident happened). When drivers get to this spot they tend to take risks on that stretch through pure frustration. I have seen some insane manouvers along this stretch. I have seen drivers floor it just as they come around the bend to try to overtake up to 10 others ahead of them in the queue that has been behind a slow truck for 15 minutes. I have seen drivers time it so late to overtake that they screetch to a halt at the concrete mid road dividers leading into Bansha. I don't know what happened in this case. Was someone grasping the small window for overtaking. Or speeding in the first straight stretch after miles of frustrating bends. Or taking an opportunity to change a CD. We might never know what happened. But someone took a chance at this only "straight stretch" in the middle of 25 minutes of frustration and paid a terrible cost.

• Advertisement

Another serious accident on the Bansha to Cahir stretch tonight. This time closer to Cahir. Road closed and diversions in place.

One side of the bridge is weak or something- so they're only allowing traffic at the weaker side.

I have noticed recently that there seems to be no work going on BUT there seems to be a permanent 24/7 presence of a couple of lads sitting in a Car/Van in the closed lane just off the bridge. There is even a porta-loo and all set up for them. I have passed it at all hours of the day and they are there. I presume they are there to monitor the bridge as the only alternative is in case someone steals the bollards and that would make them seriously expensive bollards.

Just how dangerous is the bridge that they have to limit traffic on it to one lane at a time AND they need someone there watching it 24 hours a day??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I have noticed recently that there seems to be no work going on BUT there seems to be a permanent 24/7 presence of a couple of lads sitting in a Car/Van in the closed lane just off the bridge. There is even a porta-loo and all set up for them. I have passed it at all hours of the day and they are there. I presume they are there to monitor the bridge as the only alternative is in case someone steals the bollards and that would make them seriously expensive bollards.

Just how dangerous is the bridge that they have to limit traffic on it to one lane at a time AND they need someone there watching it 24 hours a day??

Its the Irish way..Getting paid to do no actual work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

charlemont wrote: »

Must be CIE staff so. :(

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Must be CIE staff so. :(

True, You are probably right, I'll be passing it later on so I'll see if I can find out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

There is a difference between the Irish way and the CIE way. Don't generalize from the sheltered world of the Public Service to the real world.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Limerick74

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭pigtown

Am I right in thinking that as they are only replacing one bridge then all of this disruption will happen again when they get round to doing the second one?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Limerick74

pigtown wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that as they are only replacing one bridge then all of this disruption will happen again when they get round to doing the second one?

Yes they will have to close the N24 again when replacing Brooks Bridge at some time in the future. The NRA had given the County Council funding towards replacing both bridges together but Irish Rail decided to only do one now.

Well it looks like the N24 is going to be skipped once again.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0717/breaking2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

And who is Minister for Public Expenditure? That's right, it's Wexford man, Brendan Howlin. And the New Ross and Enniscorthy/Gorey schemes have both got the go-ahead.

Helps to have a minister, eh?

From our point of view in Waterford, this is good news, particularly New Ross. However I think if we had to choose one over the other, I'd prefer to see something being done about the N24. And the N24 makes more sense from a national point of view - Waterford/Rosslare to Limerick/Galway is a more important route than Wexford-Dublin, and anyway that's already mostly dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

fricatus wrote: »
    And who is Minister for Public Expenditure? That's right, it's Wexford man, Brendan Howlin.

In fairness the projects mooted are part of the second PPP programme and were mentioned as being the priorities for funding in the infra plan/budget announced last December. The plans long pre-date Howlin's time in Government (or even Mickey D in the aras) and these projects will be easier to spin up than N24.

Hopefully a fringe benefit will be to release design funds for projects like this to get them to the "shovel ready" stage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

And who is Minister for Public Expenditure? That's right, it's Wexford man, Brendan Howlin. And the New Ross and Enniscorthy/Gorey schemes have both got the go-ahead.
    These have been through the planning process and the land has been CPO'd already. I'd say that has more to do with it.

antoobrien wrote: »
    In fairness the projects mooted are part of the second PPP programme and were mentioned as being the priorities for funding in the infra plan/budget announced last December. The plans long pre-date Howlin's time in Government (or even Mickey D in the aras) and these projects will be easier to spin up than N24.

Hopefully a fringe benefit will be to release design funds for projects like this to get them to the "shovel ready" stage
    jd wrote: »
    These have been through the planning process and the land has been CPO'd already. I'd say that has more to do with it.

In fairness I have no argument against those schemes. Being a beneficiary of the M9 (working in KK, living in Waterford), I know the value of good roads, and don't begrudge them to the Wexicans. New Ross and Enniscorthy (two very nice towns) are blighted with through traffic.

However my point is that those much needed schemes mightn't have got the push they needed were it not for the presence of a Wexford man at the cabinet table. The M9 was very much needed too, but little or nothing was done about it for 30 years until Martin Cullen came along.

I'm not attacking Howlin, or Wexford, just a system that leaves so much of infrastructural planning up to the "pull" exerted by a minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

In fairness I have no argument against those schemes. Being a beneficiary of the M9 (working in KK, living in Waterford), I know the value of good roads, and don't begrudge them to the Wexicans. New Ross and Enniscorthy (two very nice towns) are blighted with through traffic.

However my point is that those much needed schemes mightn't have got the push they needed were it not for the presence of a Wexford man at the cabinet table. The M9 was very much needed too, but little or nothing was done about it for 30 years until Martin Cullen came along.

I'm not attacking Howlin, or Wexford, just a system that leaves so much of infrastructural planning up to the "pull" exerted by a minister.

Fair enough, but I think you're being blinkered by the fact that Howlin is from Wexford. The project is one of 3 major roads projects that are ready to go since before this government came in. Even if it looks like parish pump, it's a no brainer to include. The alternative is to leave it idle while having to do months/years planning work to get the N24 or M20 to shovel ready status.

Hell, look at the alternative - it could all be put into Dart Underground or Metro north (which would keep the Dubs happy but screw up the rest of the country)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Bards

antoobrien wrote: »
    Fair enough, but I think you're being blinkered by the fact that Howlin is from Wexford. The project is one of 3 major roads projects that are ready to go since before this government came in. Even if it looks like parish pump, it's a no brainer to include. The alternative is to leave it idle while having to do months/years planning work to get the N24 or M20 to shovel ready status.

Hell, look at the alternative - it could all be put into Dart Underground or Metro north (which would keep the Dubs happy but screw up the rest of the country)

Yes, I think it's a no-brainer too. the more of these shovel-ready projects that gets the go ahead in these lean times the better.

It will mean that the likes of the N24 Limerick - Waterford scheme will get moved higher up the pecking order as the other schemes finish.

It would be nice if the 5 Cities were connected to each other as they are to Dublin at present, and complete the network

Tipp Town badly needs a by-pass, Its no coincidence most of us describe it as a dump, A traffic snarled main street, That town cannot develop till its by-passed and if the NRA won't do it then the STCC should try and develop a ring road going around the south of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They have started on the bridge renewal near Tipp town? Was down this way at the weekend and they were clearing the site and area adjoining the bridge. Monard I think it's called.

mfitzy wrote: »
    They have started on the bridge renewal near Tipp town? Was down this way at the weekend and they were clearing the site and area adjoining the bridge. Monard I think it's called.

Oola.

I suppose as the N24 seems to be bottom of the NRA priority list we are lucky to even get a replacement bridge.

Oola.

I suppose as the N24 seems to be bottom of the NRA priority list we are lucky to even get a replacement bridge.

Just looked at the NRA website and in comparison to other counties Cork, Donegal and Mayo(the Big counties) stand out for the massive amount of roads that have been suspended or are still in the planning stage and lack of completed roads.
    http://nra.ie/mapping/
    I see Dublin is almost complete along with a few of its neighbours who are complete...looks like a lot of money has yet to reach the regions. Galway in fairness is certainly getting its share of late.

Tipp Town badly needs a by-pass, Its no coincidence most of us describe it as a dump, A traffic snarled main street, That town cannot develop till its by-passed and if the NRA won't do it then the STCC should try and develop a ring road going around the south of the town.

Ballina has nearly three times the population with not much better than dirt tracks leading to it in all directions and no bypasses or relief roads. Can't imagine Tipp town will be high in the priority list of the NRA especially with towns like Adare still out there.

Ballina has nearly three times the population with not much better than dirt tracks leading to it in all directions and no bypasses or relief roads. Can't imagine Tipp town will be high in the priority list of the NRA especially with towns like Adare still out there.

Well I suspect given your name you are trolling a bit coming on to a Tipp forum to support Ballina. However the signifiance of Tipperary over Ballina and Adare is Tipperary links the West coast to the Europort in Rosslare. Ballina and Adare have nowhere near the same strategic importance to the national road network

Either way the Brendan Howlin Re-election Motorway has been deemed a higher priority for whatever few Euro could be scraped together so I suspect Tipperary, Ballina and Adare are in effect cancelled. We're all in the same boat now.

Well I suspect given your name you are trolling a bit coming on to a Tipp forum to support Ballina.

Hmmm, it's actually a Roads forum, so I think he/she's allowed!

Still though, given that the N24 is the link from the West to Rosslare Europort, it's not just Tipperary that has an interest in it being upgraded - it has a direct bearing on the export competitiveness of Sligo, Roscommon, Galway, Limerick and Clare too, not to mention Mayo!

I'm surprised that Western TDs haven't been more vocal on the matter, but the fact that the road is mostly in Tipp means that most don't look outside their constituencies to see the bigger picture!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Hmmm, it's actually a Roads forum, so I think he/she's allowed!

Still though, given that the N24 is the link from the West to Rosslare Europort, it's not just Tipperary that has an interest in it being upgraded - it has a direct bearing on the export competitiveness of Sligo, Roscommon, Galway, Limerick and Clare too, not to mention Mayo!

I'm surprised that Western TDs haven't been more vocal on the matter, but the fact that the road is mostly in Tipp means that most don't look outside their constituencies to see the bigger picture!

Benefits Mayo? What scenario would have a trucker going via Rosslare to get to Anywhere in Connaught, never mind Mayo? DC/Motorway from Paris-England-Wales-Dublin-Athlone before you hit roads that are in any way comparable with the piss poor N24, the alternative is not worth contemplating.

Advertisement