Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fidelma Healy Eames' train ticket scandal

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

In fairness FG has had a bad week. The Minister for Health appeared in Stubbs and now one of them is a fare dodger.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Biko are you related to her or a member of FG or why do you keep closing the threads?

I heard Biko's Dad is John Bruton.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mr Gekko - I've no relation to FG nor her. How about your own political affiliations?

Several of those links are just mirroring that a user here made a statement or citing each other. I don't see why you'd think that would be important.
    This one http://www.thejournal.ie/senator-denies-dodging-ticket-fare-520239-Jul2012/ has a proper response from FG:
    Fine Gael issued a statement that said Healy Eames had boarded the train at Athenry station yesterday morning in a rush and thought she would be able to purchase a ticket on board as she had done on previous occasions.
    The ticket inspector asked her for identification and she produced her Senator ID card and offered to pay for a ticket as normal. She was told she could not buy a ticket from him and he fined her €100.
    Fine Gael said the Senator said she was shocked to learn this as she had purchased two tickets on board just weeks earlier in June. She even showed the inspector the counterfoils which proved she had purchased tickets on a train. Healy Eames has appealed the fine.
    See how easy it was when you had a proper source?
    Discussion may now continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

biko wrote: »
    Mr Gekko - I've no relation to FG nor her. How about your own political affiliations? .

I am not now or ever have been a member of any political party. In past elections i have voted for a wide and diverse spectrum of candidates including people from FG.
    Several of those links are just mirroring that a user here made a statement or citing each other. I don't see why you'd think that would be important.

You closed the last thread as there was no links so i added a few for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Fine Gael said the Senator said she was shocked to learn this as she had purchased two tickets on board just weeks earlier in June. She even showed the inspector the counterfoils which proved she had purchased tickets on a train. Healy Eames has appealed the fine.

It could not be clearer… silly woman... her appeal is on a hideing to nothing.

NO TICKET
    NO TRAVEL
    NO EXCUSE

INTERCITY & COMMUTER SERVICES PASSENGER INFORMATION LEAFLET FIXED PENALTY NOTICE (FPN)

5. IF I DON’T BUY A TICKET BEFORE TRAVELLING,
    IS IT AN AUTOMATIC PENALTY NOTICE?
    Yes. You are responsible for ensuring that you buy a
    ticket that is valid for your entire journey before
    travelling, otherwise you will have to pay the fixed
    penalty.

6. IF THERE IS A QUEUE AT THE TICKET OFFICE OR
    THE TICKET VENDING MACHINE CAN I BOARD THE
    TRAIN WITHOUT A VALID TICKET?
    No, it is your responsibility to allow yourself reasonable
    time to buy a ticket before travelling. Ticket vending
    machines are provided throughout the network at
    stations in tandem with the facility of buying tickets in
    advance from the booking Office, internet or an
    accredited ticketing agent.
    (See also Answers to questions 1 and 2).

7. CAN I PAY AT MY DESITINATION IF IM IN A
    RUSH?
    No, if facilities are provided at your departure point and
    you board the train without a valid ticket then you will be
    issued with a fixed penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I don't want to start bashing FHE, but I would be more inclined to believe the words of a deranged person on the street than anything that would ever come out of her mouth.

She is notably tight as well, so I would not doubt for a second that she tried to get a free train ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

17. IS THERE A RIGHT OF APPEAL AGAINST A
    FIXED PENALTY NOTICE?
    If you wish to appeal against a Fixed Penalty Notice, with
    which you have been issued, you must do so in writing or
    via email to the addresses shown on the receipt given to
    you by the inspector within 21 DAYS. Failure to pay will
    lead to a prosecution and a Criminal conviction plus a
    fine of up to a €1000 in the District Courts.

Everyone has a right to appeal, even those who differ from us in politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jased10s

Wow another travel expenses scandel.

FFS woman have some class and at least go first class.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,899 ✭✭✭thesandeman

NO TICKET
    NO TRAVEL
    NO EXCUSE

INTERCITY & COMMUTER SERVICES PASSENGER INFORMATION LEAFLET FIXED PENALTY NOTICE (FPN)

5. IF I DON’T BUY A TICKET BEFORE TRAVELLING,
    IS IT AN AUTOMATIC PENALTY NOTICE?
    Yes. You are responsible for ensuring that you buy a
    ticket that is valid for your entire journey before
    travelling, otherwise you will have to pay the fixed
    penalty.

6. IF THERE IS A QUEUE AT THE TICKET OFFICE OR
    THE TICKET VENDING MACHINE CAN I BOARD THE
    TRAIN WITHOUT A VALID TICKET?
    No, it is your responsibility to allow yourself reasonable
    time to buy a ticket before travelling. Ticket vending
    machines are provided throughout the network at
    stations in tandem with the facility of buying tickets in
    advance from the booking Office, internet or an
    accredited ticketing agent.
    (See also Answers to questions 1 and 2).

7. CAN I PAY AT MY DESITINATION IF IM IN A
    RUSH?
    No, if facilities are provided at your departure point and
    you board the train without a valid ticket then you will be
    issued with a fixed penalty.

Think #5 and #6 says it all. But if she ever convinces people to elect her to the real Government then we can all do things her way seeing as then she can 'make the law'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I'm just wondering why she produced her seanad ID. What has that got to do with her not buying a ticket.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

I'm just wondering why she produced her seanad ID. What has that got to do with her not buying a ticket.

She was asked for id ... quote from her website

"She was approached by an officer from the revenue protection unit on board who asked her for ID. She produced her Seanad ID card."
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

tphase wrote: »
    She was asked for id ... quote from her website

"She was approached by an officer from the revenue protection unit on board who asked her for ID. She produced her Seanad ID card."
    ;)

how convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

how convenient.
    What has that got to do with her not buying a ticket?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The RPU guys usually insist in seeing some ID so that they can verify that they're not going to post off a fine to Jesus c/o The Pentagon. Perhaps her Seanad ID was all she was carrying.

As the Mail pointed out over the weekend, she would have passed at least 3 signs on her way to the platform about not boarding without a ticket. The IE staff selling tickets on the train are very much the exception to the rule these days, usually it's just an RPU member who gets on and off at various points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

[QUOTE=Robbo;79758092
    As the Mail pointed out over the weekend, she would have passed at least 3 signs on her way to the platform about not boarding without a ticket. The IE staff selling tickets on the train are very much the exception to the rule these days, usually it's just an RPU member who gets on and off at various points.[/QUOTE]

The ticket office in Athenry isn't always open, especially for early morning trains, so her story is plausible. I haven't been in the station in Athenry in years, so I don't know if they have the ticket machines there - which would be the only way for her to buy a ticket if the office wasn't open. It could be an honest mistake.

Wait, no, this is a politician we're talking about - witch hunt! Burn her!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

They have ticket vending machines in Athenry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Going off on a tangent, one of the links above led me to FHE's website and when I started nosing around I came across this photo.

Does Brian Walsh really still wear his First Communion tie or did the crafty people at FHE HQ photoshop the pic to make him look like a bit of a gob$hite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Robbo wrote: »
    They have ticket vending machines in Athenry.

I heard her on the radio yesterday and she had two main arguments:

1. She was in the station a few minutes before the train was due to leave, there were people ahead of her at the ticket window and the vending machine. She said in the past the train had left the station early and she had missed the train as a result (I think she said she had previously lodged complaints about this) so did not want to risk queing based on previous bad experience of train departing early.

2. She had always been allowed buy tickets on the train previously and produced two ticket stubs from her bag to prove that as little as last month she had bought tickets on the train.

I didn't hear her mention the multiple signs which are apparently on display saying you cannot board without a ticket!

The rest of the arguments all seem like bull just because people like/dislike politicans.

Personally I'd be raging too if I was in her situation. What happens if you arrive at the station ten minutes before the train only to find a bus load of tourists have dropped in ahead of you, they have no clue how to use the vending machine, slow to pay at the ticket window....tough you miss the train.

Sconsey wrote: »
    Personally I'd be raging too if I was in her situation. What happens if you arrive at the station ten minutes before the train only to find a bus load of tourists have dropped in ahead of you, they have no clue how to use the vending machine, slow to pay at the ticket window....tough you miss the train.
    Maybe it's just me but that's exactly the reason why I would never go to catch an intercity bus or train without a ticket already in my hand. You want to fly on a plane you are advised to be at the airport 2 hours in advance to ensure you can complete formalities on time. Trains aren't on the same scale so Irish Rail asks you to be there 20 minutes before departure. If it is critical that you should be on a certain train then you should make sure you have a ticket for it in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭squonk

At the end of the day she has a job in Dublin and is up and down on the train at least twice a week. If she's been finding that ticketing at the station is a problem, she has the option of logging on to IE's website and purchasing an advance ticket there. What's more, she can reserve her seat at that stage as well. It's not as big a deal on the Galway route but carriages on the Cork-Dub service are a pain with all the reserved seats on there.

Were I a frequent traveller I'd be looking into at least Monthly tickets anyway so that I could buy a ticket when I had time and then use it for the duration of the month without any hassle. It'd work out cheaper as well.

What would work out even better would be to buy a yearly TaxSaver ticket. She could buy the following ticket for instance http://www.taxsaver.ie/Ticket-Types/Annual-Tickets/Iarnrod-Eireann-Irish-Rail/ which would save her quite a bit of money and a load of hassle as well.

I could completely understand her predicament were she taking a form of transport that she rarely uses and got into difficulty in that case. The reality though is that she has Oireachtas duties in Dublin for quite a significant portion of the year so I think that, based on that, most of us would look to minimize the cost to ourselves in that case by purchasing a multi trip ticket. By not doing this she's showing at the very least that she's content to waste money by purchasing tickets on a per journey return basis. It's simply another case of "It's not MY money, so who cares". If the money came from her own pocket she'd be first in line for a commuter ticket I'd bet. I'm sure it's certainly not at all the case that she'd be content to board a train without any ticket and take her chances.

squonk wrote: »
    The reality though is that she has Oireachtas duties in Dublin for quite a significant portion of the year so I think that, based on that, most of us would look to minimize the cost to ourselves in that case by purchasing a multi trip ticket. By not doing this she's showing at the very least that she's content to waste money by purchasing tickets on a per journey return basis. It's simply another case of "It's not MY money, so who cares". If the money came from her own pocket she'd be first in line for a commuter ticket I'd bet. I'm sure it's certainly not at all the case that she'd be content to board a train without any ticket and take her chances.
    That's the strange thing. If I understand correctly the way their travel allowance works she is the one who will be out of pocket. A flat allowance allows the recipient to shop around for the best deal and pocket the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

NO TICKET
    NO TRAVEL
    NO EXCUSE

whats being a woman got to do with it? how is she a silly woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭squonk

That's the strange thing. If I understand correctly the way their travel allowance works she is the one who will be out of pocket. A flat allowance allows the recipient to shop around for the best deal and pocket the difference.

I agree but there are two possible logical explanations, either the travel allowance is too large in reality in that she doesn't need to bother worrying about saving it as there'll be some left over and she doesn't really miss it along with her regular salary, or she plays the odds and jumps the train betting that getting stuck for buying a ticket on board every so often actually works out at better value than purchasing a season ticket? Obviously a Senator and upstanding member of the community and any good citizen would never choose the second option but these are the only two possibilities that make sense given the evidence to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

She's a chancer. just reading about it now in Galway independent

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

An article in today's indo,this senator who is supposed to represent our fine city has been shafting local plumbers and disputing payment for work carried out at her home to build a war room for her political campaigns.
    She comes accross as a privileged,arrogant and ruthless person who is waving the flag fianna fail style in the senate and completely trying to weasel her way out of paying this guy.
    Met her at one of her events before the election and she convinced me not to vote for her by the way she worked the room from her high horse.
    What's opinions of her politically,a bit of a spoilt brat ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Tell us how you really feel

Sappa wrote: »
    An article in today's indo,this senator who is supposed to represent our fine city has been shafting local plumbers and disputing payment for work carried out at her home to build a war room for her political campaigns.
    She comes accross as a privileged,arrogant and ruthless person who is waving the flag fianna fail style in the senate and completely trying to weasel her way out of paying this guy.
    Met her at one of her events before the election and she convinced me not to vote for her by the way she worked the room from her high horse.
    What's opinions of her politically,a bit of a spoilt brat ?

Is she not Fine Gael?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

FGish here from a FG family near enough her. She is a wagon in every conceivable way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No discussion of ongoing cases.
    Also attack the politics, not the politician.

Advertisement