Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fidelma Healy Eames' train ticket scandal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

-Vega- wrote: »

Have a look about 10 posts up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, this thread has now crossed the border between discussing someone's policies and attacking their person.
    I have cleaned up the thread a bit since several posts were infractionable and I'd rather error on the side of caution. Feel free to attack her politics but trying to belittle her person will not do (i.e. referring to mental state and suchlike).

Funny pics or tubes still welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Watched the clip of her submission on internet, "phraping" etc

1.How did Pat Rabbitte keep a straight face?

2. This lady is said to have been a teacher or "educator"?

3, I think on balance Seanad Éireann should be reformed rather than abolished. However submissions such as this are a strong argument for abolition

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Synode wrote: »
    Have a look about 10 posts up

figured it was there but was 2 lazy to check, but on the off chance it wasn't I said it throw it up again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

http://m.brne.ws/ireland/senator-seeks-installation-of-microchip-to-turn-games-consoles-off-after-two-hours-587711.html
    Galway Senator Fidelma Healy Eames will write to the National Consumer Association in a plea to have chips fitted to gaming consoles so they will shut down after two hours

The more I read of FHE, the more I'm convinced she's a genius comedian who's trolling the entire nation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    http://m.brne.ws/ireland/senator-seeks-installation-of-microchip-to-turn-games-consoles-off-after-two-hours-587711.html

The more I read of FHE, the more I'm convinced she's a genius comedian who's trolling the entire nation.

That story is years old at this stage.
    breakingnews.ie is not exactly breaking the news.

I started a thread on it back in 2011............ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056348176
    mikom wrote: »
    From Twitter:

@senhealyeames Fidelma Healy Eames
    Playstn Xbox danger 2 health as 20 yo dies.Makers shd install auto shutdown chip af'r 2hr play w/ 12hr break on all game.

Please stand by.
    Fidelmas "won't somebody think of the children" chips will be fitted by trained technicians throughout the coming months.
    Look for their black van marked "Joy division".

Jesus wept.

Remember the next time someone quotes to you "but it's the law, you can't break the law", that highly informed people like Fidelma Healy Eames make the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

mikom wrote: »
    Remember the next time someone quotes to you "but it's the law, you can't break the law", that highly informed people like Fidelma Healy Eames make the law.
    That's not true. The law is mostly "made" by Civil Servants, implementing Government policy.

Thankfully, FHE has never been near a ministry, but in the highly unlikely event that she was, a civil servant would diplomatically "suggest" to her that this idea (and in fact, probably most of her ideas) might not be wise and give her twenty reasons why.

In the meantime, she is free to prattle on in the Seanad (where no-one listens or takes heed of her) and on twitter/local papers (ditto) without influencing policy one iota, since her ideas are plainly daft.

The only role FHE has in "making" the law is going into the "Tá" lobby whenever she's told to by the party whip. And that's not just her by the way - a lot of politicians haven't a clue what they are voting on, being much more concerned with doing what we send them to Dail Eireann for - getting us planning permission, pensions, grants, etc.

serfboard wrote: »
    That's not true. The law is mostly "made" by Civil Servants, implementing Government policy.

Government policy like that which can coaxed along by idiots in the senate talking shop.
    Speaking of government policy........ seen any of Sean Sherlocks ideas and capitulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I remember the good old days when all people like fidelma had to worry about was kids listening to hivvy mital and worshipping the divil and what not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Fidelma was on the national wireless this morning moaning about something to do with the abortion bill. Won't someone please think of the children
    It was so embarrassing listening to her that I've no idea what she said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Ardent

-Vega- wrote: »

Laughed my tits off at that. I'm surprised Rabbitte didn't commit Hari Kari during that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

She'll be out of a job come autumn.... :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

biko has made an on thread warning, such a warning should not be needed but some people just can't play nice.

Posts attacking FHE's intelligence removed, warnings given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Doom wrote: »
    She'll be out of a job come autumn.... :)

Is it impossible for her to stand in the Senate again?
    Is there anything to stop fg putting her back in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Krieg wrote: »
    Is it impossible for her to stand in the Senate again?
    Is there anything to stop fg putting her back in?

they are supposed to get rid of the "senate" in the autumn.

Remember there is gender quotos being brought in. I think 1/3 of all candidates in the next election need to be women so we may see a lot more of this lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

nuac wrote: »
    Watched the clip of her submission on internet, "phraping" etc

1.How did Pat Rabbitte keep a straight face?

2. This lady is said to have been a teacher or "educator"?

3, I think on balance Seanad Éireann should be reformed rather than abolished. However submissions such as this are a strong argument for abolition

However badly she articulated it, she does raise a good point as her concern is fraping for example, being used to bully teens.

Many suicides in teens are being linked to bullying. The internet allows the bully to bully on such a scale that it can go on 24 / 7, no matter where you are. It's likely that more and more teens won't be able to cope with such pressure.

So I for one would like to thank FHE for using her position as a senator to try to help bullying victims and attempt get some legislation put in place to maybe help victims and have consequences for those who bully.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

murraykil wrote: »
    So I for one would like to thank FHE for using her position as a senator to try to help bullying victims and attempt get some legislation put in place to maybe help victims and have consequences for those who bully.
    You do realise that it was pointed out to FHE and others at the Oireachteas Witchhunt into D'Internet hearings that there are numerous provisions under existing legislation where these problems can be dealt with and prosecutions brought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

they are supposed to get rid of the "senate" in the autumn.

Remember there is gender quotos being brought in. I think 1/3 of all candidates in the next election need to be women so we may see a lot more of this lady.

Just because she's put forward doesn't mean she'll get elected....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

kayos wrote: »
    Just because she's put forward doesn't mean she'll get elected....

I agree but people seem to think we will soon be seeing the back of her

I agree but people seem to think we will soon be seeing the back of her
    it seems there is an orchestrated attempt to clean up her media image, by involving her in the abortion debate...probably because if you google her the results are one calamity after another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Fidelma trying to make a name for herself on the abortion legislation debate, she got a few minutes exposure on Pat Kenny's radio show the other day. I wonder was Brian Walsh's position on the matter influenced by covering the ground that she was taking on the debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

Robbo wrote: »
    You do realise that it was pointed out to FHE and others at the Oireachteas Witchhunt into D'Internet hearings that there are numerous provisions under existing legislation where these problems can be dealt with and prosecutions brought?

I didn't realise until you pointed it out! :pac: I'm only as mis-informed as a senator though!

I remember now of hearing about some people in the UK having been charged with online harrasment with regard to racial abuse or putting insulting comments on facebook pages of deceased people.

I guess it's why this thread has been getting cleaned up so often! Biko has been saving many from a knock on the door! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Lennonist wrote: »
    Fidelma trying to make a name for herself on the abortion legislation debate
    Yeah. She's anti-abortion. Specially since she came back from a trip to America paid for by a pro-life group. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Probably one of the best things that the Pro-Choice lobby could hope for, would be for Fidelma to become the poster child (no pun intended) for Pro-Life.

Following on from the above
    Seanad passes abortion legislation second stage
    00079f79-642.jpg
    Fine Gael Senators Fidelma Healy Eames and Paul Bradford voted against the bill.
    Ms Healy Eames said she did not want to lose the Fine Gael party whip, however she said she wanted to exercise her human right to make a conscientious decision.
    Surely this will be the end of her - she won't be on any FG ticket in the future and I don't see her going anywhere as an independent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

I would say party HQ are delighted with this development. With quotas on the way it would have been very difficult to drop her from the ticket, but this changes that.

so long fiddles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

I'd say FG are delighted to be rid of her.
    She won't get elected at the next election in or out of the party.

She'll not go quitely though we haven't heard the last of her yet I guarantee you that.

A job at the Iona institute awaits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We start at 8 in the morning and don't finish until 5 or 6. That's a lot more work than a day at home."
    The fact she thinks an average working day is like doing 3 times the work and that it's more work than she's ever done at home just goes to show what planet she lives on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

FG booted her by the way.

Lets hope that's that. But I get the feeling it's not unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

If she ever has the gall to run for Dáil Éireann again, all that has to be done to stop her getting in is for people to bring up her arrogant ways from the last few years.

Train ticket or lack thereof, car tax or lack thereof, payment to tradesman for work done or lack thereof, etc etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

kraggy wrote: »
    If she ever has the gall to run for Dáil Éireann again, all that has to be done to stop her getting in is for people to bring up her arrogant ways from the last few years.

Train ticket or lack thereof, car tax or lack thereof, payment to tradesman for work done or lack thereof, etc etc.

A hoy hoy, that was her husband's doing...they were separate entities, somehow, during that affair

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Fernando Torres appointed to the Seanad in what amounts to the literal fraping of Fidelma's career in this part of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

FHE keeps her seat doesn't she? She just loses the party whip for voting against the abortion bill, does she not?

Regarding Hilda Naughton, well SHE escalated quickly. From nowhere to mayor to senator in just a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

FHE keeps her seat doesn't she? She just loses the party whip for voting against the abortion bill, does she not?

Regarding Hilda Naughton, well SHE escalated quickly. From nowhere to mayor to senator in just a few years.

Reassuring that if I fsck up in everything else in my life, I can still become a senator.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Fernando Torres appointed to the Seanad in what amounts to the literal fraping of Fidelma's career in this part of the world.
    So who is replacing Hildegarde Naughton on the Council?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

snubbleste wrote: »
    So who is replacing Hildegarde Naughton on the Council?

Galway FG will co-opt another party yes man, a nobody, into the position and they too will be mayor and then possibly be in the seanad if its still around in a few years

And so the circle of gombeenism continues in ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭john.han

Wahey, another teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

Does this all mean the FHE can resume her teaching role if ousted from the seanad?

Same question about Ms. Naughton if the seanad disappears, or does she somehow get her city council seat back?

Finally, yesterdays independent described FHE as a business woman; what business odes she have a role in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Fey! wrote: »
    Finally, yesterdays independent described FHE as a business woman; what business odes she have a role in?
    "Training" but with the focus seemingly on state bodies as customers and courses mandated by the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm pretty much non-political, but something about her is so disturbingly disturbing I will certainly applaud when she is gone gone gone. If ever that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Healy Eames must have been sickened when Hildegarde Naughton was welcomed to the Senate yesterday.

"Galway Senator, Fidelma Healy Eames, who lost the Fine Gael whip when she voted against the Government on the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Bill, said she was surprised at Mr Kenny's choice."

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0722/463885-young-fine-gael-neutral-on-seanad-abolition/

Fine Gael must be delighted to be rid of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,267 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hildegarde is that a German name?
    Makes sense so.
    Enda likes the Germans :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Spoken about in glowing terms on Today with Pat Kenny this morning, in an interview with David O'Connell.

See piece entitled "Seanad appointments" here: http://www.rte.ie/radio1/today-with-pat-kenny/

PK was clearly fed a line about the nascent senator, imo, because he couldn't possibly know anything about her track record locally.

Then again, it may well be the case that she cuts quite a dash in FG and has made a big impression on Enda et al within the party. Not that I'd know anything about such costume dramas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Spoken about in glowing terms on Today with Pat Kenny this morning, in an interview with David O'Connell.

See piece entitled "Seanad appointments" here: http://www.rte.ie/radio1/today-with-pat-kenny/

PK was clearly fed a line about the nascent senator, imo, because he couldn't possibly know anything about her track record locally.

Then again, it may well be the case that she cuts quite a dash in FG and has made a big impression on Enda et al within the party. Not that I'd know anything about such costume dramas.

In fairness she's slightly better looking than Padraic Conneely even if she isn't as intelligent!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

In fairness she's slightly better looking than Padraic Conneely even if she isn't as intelligent!!!!!!!!

Stop fraping(is that how it's spelt) FHE!!!
    And for the love of God, stop claiming that anyone is LESS intelligent than Padraic Connelly>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Attack the politics, not the politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

biko wrote: »
    Attack the politics, not the politician.

Is the politician not responsible for its politics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Is the politician not responsible for its politics?

Don't be silly, this is Ireland. Nobody's held responsible for anything

• Advertisement
Advertisement