Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

redlead wrote: »
    To be fair, I have never seen Tony Browne run ragged by anyone. People keep on expecting it to happen but it never does. When you forget about his age he is still a top player on merit. This is a guy thats had an all star nomination every year for the last few years don't forget. I agree with you about not wanting a legend like him to be embarrassed some day but I suppose we just have to trust the fact that him starting means Ryan has the confidence in him.

I hope your right but tbh to me it smacks of a lack of depth in the panel and he doesnt trust anyone else to play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wex_lad

redlead wrote: »
    To be fair, I have never seen Tony Browne run ragged by anyone. People keep on expecting it to happen but it never does. When you forget about his age he is still a top player on merit. This is a guy thats had an all star nomination every year for the last few years don't forget. I agree with you about not wanting a legend like him to be embarrassed some day but I suppose we just have to trust the fact that him starting means Ryan has the confidence in him.

I hope your right but tbh to me it smacks of a lack of depth in the panel and he doesnt trust anyone else to play there.

It's not that scully doesn't trust anyone else, the decision to start Tony is a simple one - he will settle youn lads like Philip and Stephen Daniels down and as the most experienced man on the panel his experience will be vital in the first 15 - 20 minutes.

Incidentally what terrace have Waterford been allocated for Sunday? Can you buy tickets from centra and super valu? If so, what stores in Waterford sell them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Mixed feeelings about Tony Browne playing tbh, firstly from a completely selfish Tipperary viewpoint its great, I cant see him containing anyone of those 6 forwards we have and he will be exposed for pace I have no doubt.

But from a hurling fans view, thats not something I want to see, Tony is a legend of the game, a true gentleman on and off the field and one of the greatest Gaels of the last 30 years, and it would be a shame to see him been run ragged, obviously I want Tipp to win but I sincerely hope that Tony Browne emerges from the game with he's lofty reputation still in tact, he will with me and im sure alot of others regardless, but unfortunately alot of 'fans' these days are very fickle and have short memories.
    Quite the veiled comment. While your trying to make it look as if your a fan really your just saying Tony is past it and and is going to get destroyed on Sunday. Well I suppose we'll see how 'fickle' our fans are if it happens, not much though, we're not fickle enough to write the man off before the ball has been thrown in anyway.

wex_lad wrote: »
    It's not that scully doesn't trust anyone else, the decision to start Tony is a simple one - he will settle youn lads like Philip and Stephen Daniels down and as the most experienced man on the panel his experience will be vital in the first 15 - 20 minutes.

Do you not think thats a bit of a gamble though, I mean how settling will it be for the younger players if they see someone like Tony Browne been badly exposed?

Quite the veiled comment. While your trying to make it look as if your a fan really your just saying Tony is past it and and is going to get destroyed on Sunday. Well I suppose we'll see how 'fickle' our fans are if it happens, not much though, we're not fickle enough to write the man off before the ball has been thrown in anyway.

I cant help it if your paranoia knows no bounds Zola, I dont play silly mind games just call a spade a spade, and yes I do think Tony is past it, I never said any different, try reading a post before you reply.

And btw when I reffered to fickle fans I meant GAA fans not Waterford fans in particular.

• Advertisement

Do you not think thats a bit of a gamble though, I mean how settling will it be for the younger players if they see someone like Tony Browne been badly exposed?

Thats a good point, however you have to look at the confidence a bright start for both Tony and Waterford will do for not only the young lads but the whole team. On Sunday we need to hit the ground running and try and get into Tipp like we did in the first 10 minutes in the 2008 AI Semi.

Thats a good point, however you have to look at the confidence a bright start for both Tony and Waterford will do for not only the young lads but the whole team. On Sunday we need to hit the ground running and try and get into Tipp like we did in the first 10 minutes in the 2008 AI Semi.

Very true, but they will need a plan b just in case.

I think it will be very interesting to see who Tony ends up marking, I'm sure ideally Michael Ryan would like to see him deployed on Brian O'Meara, the least mobile and experienced of the Tipp forwards, but if Lar, Pa, Noel or Bonner get at him I think they could do real damage, of course alot will depend on the supply of ball from the Tipp backs, and the Waterford half forward line will be key here.

I do think Tony is past it, I never said any different, try reading a post before you reply.

Now a less of a swings and roundabouts way of saying it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

I started another thread about Tony Browne because it is such a remarkable achievement for a man of 39 to be still playing, I think the greater GAA community should know.

Being pragmatic about the match itself playing Tony is a gamble, especially since we have plenty of lads who can play in that wing back slot. I don't think Tony would be starting if Darragh Fives had been fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

I cant help it if your paranoia knows no bounds Zola, I dont play silly mind games just call a spade a spade, and yes I do think Tony is past it, I never said any different, try reading a post before you reply.

And btw when I reffered to fickle fans I meant GAA fans not Waterford fans in particular.

He is still good enough to make the starting 15 and consistently puts in good performances. He has the same body weight now as he did 20 yrs ago when he made his debut and his reading of the ball is top class. In training he would have been found out if he was not up to senior county level but he is still able to be first choice ahead of others like richie foley, wayne hutchinson, dean twomey and others who are not bad hurlers so he definitely merits his starting place in the team.

• Advertisement

Now a less of a swings and roundabouts way of saying it this time.

Sorry I dint think I had to break it down into single syllable words fo you zola, my bad, how did Ann and Barry get on at the shop in that novel you were telling me you were reading last week??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Sorry I dint think I had to break it down into single syllable words fo you zola, my bad, how did Ann and Barry get on at the shop in that novel you were telling me you were reading last week??

<mod note> calvin zola and premierstone, don't derail the thread please

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Really hope TB puts in a good display as he always does. He has been an All-Star nominee in the last two years, totally on merit and I can't remember him ever being run ragged by anyone.

Premierstone and co will hopefully be eating their words!!

daddydick wrote: »
    Really hope TB puts in a good display as he always does. He has been an All-Star nominee in the last two years, totally on merit and I can't remember him ever being run ragged by anyone.

Premierstone and co will hopefully be eating their words!!

Thats abit harsh now, I never said anything as blunt as that I said I suspected he was past he's best and I hoped he wouldnt be run ragged or have he's reputation tarnished, an opinion that many Waterford fans share with me, if they were honest with themselves.

What terraces have each team been assigned lads?

What terraces have each team been assigned lads?

According to my younger club mates who are capable of standing for that long Tipp are in the City End, so Waterford are in the Blackrock end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RyanSuz

Excited for match Sunday?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Mixed feeelings about Tony Browne playing tbh, firstly from a completely selfish Tipperary viewpoint its great, I cant see him containing anyone of those 6 forwards we have and he will be exposed for pace I have no doubt.

But from a hurling fans view, thats not something I want to see, Tony is a legend of the game, a true gentleman on and off the field and one of the greatest Gaels of the last 30 years, and it would be a shame to see him been run ragged, obviously I want Tipp to win but I sincerely hope that Tony Browne emerges from the game with he's lofty reputation still in tact, he will with me and im sure alot of others regardless, but unfortunately alot of 'fans' these days are very fickle and have short memories.
    I see this kind of thing in nearly every thread about players getting "destroyed" or "embarrassed" - it's just a game at the end of the day and I think those kind of words are a bit much. Unless he makes a load of absolute howlers I don't think he will be shown up. His 20 year reputation isn't going to be tarnished by one bad game if he has one. The other thing is, as mentioned already, is it's not all about pace. And again, if he is having a tough time of it he will be brought off. I'd hope that the Waterford manager and selectors' opinions on Browne's ability counts a lot more than people here. I can't remember his performance in last year's final but I don't think he was "cleaned out" or embarrassed then.
    Incidentally what terrace have Waterford been allocated for Sunday? Can you buy tickets from centra and super valu? If so, what stores in Waterford sell them?
    Waterford fans are definitely in the Blackrock End terrace, see ya there.
    http://www.tickets.ie/event.aspx/munster-gaa-hurling-final-pairc-ui-chaoimh-cork-15-July-2012/6NHC9

Tickets are available in some Centras and SuperValus:

Centra Coolagh Service Station, Waterford
    SuperValu Tramore - Quish's
    SuperValu Waterford - Caulfield's
    SuperValu Cappoquin - Kelleher's

Full list:
    http://munster.gaa.ie/wp-content/themes/munster/uploads//Master-List-of-Outlets-by-County.xls

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JohnMcClane

ok this coy thing has got to stop,this is not soccer,what ever happened to the good aul abu

on top boys in blue will only get hijacked by the jackeens

Why should it stop?? I've been going to matches for many years and the chant "come on you boys in blue" has been pretty constant from the waterford fans on the terrace!! Never once heard "deise abu" sang at a match???
    Either way isn't it all support for the team??

I see this kind of thing in nearly every thread about players getting "destroyed" or "embarrassed" - it's just a game at the end of the day and I think those kind of words are a bit much. Unless he makes a load of absolute howlers I don't think he will be shown up. His 20 year reputation isn't going to be tarnished by one bad game if he has one. The other thing is, as mentioned already, is it's not all about pace. And again, if he is having a tough time of it he will be brought off. I'd hope that the Waterford manager and selectors' opinions on Browne's ability counts a lot more than people here. I can't remember his performance in last year's final but I don't think he was "cleaned out" or embarrassed then.
    Its easier to single out Tony and say he will have a bad game so as to look like half an expert after the game if it happens. Personally i don't think Tony will disgrace himself. I expect him to do well, Richie will probably come on for him on the 50 min mark. I remember the same tripe being spouted about in in 2006 when a youthful cathal naughton ran him for the last 15 mins in the AI semi final, people said he was finished but he went on to win a good bit more since and be an ever commanding prescence.

• Advertisement

Why should it stop?? I've been going to matches for many years and the chant "come on you boys in blue" has been pretty constant from the waterford fans on the terrace!! Never once heard "deise abu" sang at a match???
    Either way isn't it all support for the team??
    You'd be surprised how upset and pedantic people can get around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I can't see myself singing COYBIB, largely because we don't wear blue. We wear mostly white. Tipp wear blue...

Waterford have a definate lack of songs though, none come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭seananigans

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/deise-fan-has-case-worth-an-airing-3165790.html

ARISING from the controversy over Waterford's offer to play the Munster hurling final in Thurles, thus conceding home advantage to Tipperary, in return for a 'sweetener', a Deise reader raises an interesting point. While accepting that Waterford don't have a ground with the required capacity for a championship game, he asks why it has never benefited from the huge financial input made by the county's fans, not just to the provincial council, but also to host towns. A counter argument is that if Waterford haven't built a stadium capable of holding a championship game, then they deserve nothing. It's not one I subscribe to, by the way, because there are too many large stadiums in Munster as it is without adding another.
    On balance, the Deise man has a case worth hearing.

which one of you was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭banger01

[HTML]Waterford have a definate lack of songs though, none come to mind. [/HTML]
    How about
    'You shot you missed you must be bloody pissed' for Mullane ... :D

banger01 wrote: »
    [HTML]Waterford have a definate lack of songs though, none come to mind. [/HTML]
    How about
    'You shot you missed you must be bloody pissed' for Mullane ... :D
    Looool, excuse me while i pick myself up off the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

This could be like our fields of Athenry or you'll never walk alone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JohnMcClane

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/deise-fan-has-case-worth-an-airing-3165790.html

ARISING from the controversy over Waterford's offer to play the Munster hurling final in Thurles, thus conceding home advantage to Tipperary, in return for a 'sweetener', a Deise reader raises an interesting point. While accepting that Waterford don't have a ground with the required capacity for a championship game, he asks why it has never benefited from the huge financial input made by the county's fans, not just to the provincial council, but also to host towns. A counter argument is that if Waterford haven't built a stadium capable of holding a championship game, then they deserve nothing. It's not one I subscribe to, by the way, because there are too many large stadiums in Munster as it is without adding another.
    On balance, the Deise man has a case worth hearing.

which one of you was it?

It is a valid point that over the last decade Waterford have been involved in some of the most thrilling spectacles Munster hurling has to offer and for the large part of those years had one of(if not THE) largest group of supporters lining the pockets of the Munster council and received nothing. The Munster council made a lot of money fron huge attendances in that time and our own county board is now struggling, in hindsight should a system of splitting the pot be introduced??
    County board of stadium get 50%,Munster council 30% & away team 20% of profits???
    While I understand Waterford would be only ones to benefit from any change if the situation stays as it is(we may be biased)!! Waterford will be in a worse financial state in 5-10 years time as it is not likely funds are going to magically appear to upgrade any of our current stadia,carriganore included!
    If the Munster council & GAA HQ continue to laugh at our requests how long will it be until Waterford don't have the finances to field teams? Maybe not in the short term but with debt continuing to rise who can say what will happen farther down the road!!
    Worrying thoughts but we have bigger fish to fry this weekend!!;)

Anyone else of the opinion that it would not be a surprise to actually see Kelly start on Sunday even though not named?? If Mahoney is fit then it's great news but he is back a month ahead of schedule.....seems like a risk? Do they see Kelly as a better impact sub than Mahoney?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2012/0713/329026-tipp-should-prove-too-strong-for-deise/

let this be motivation for the team.

they very well might have pulled off a Babs for us here. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2012/0713/329026-tipp-should-prove-too-strong-for-deise/

let this be motivation for the team.

they very well might have pulled off a Babs for us here. :D
    Marty is so handsome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

solarith wrote: »
    Marty is so handsome.

he's such a ladies man :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement