Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

chin_grin if you looked at the last ten posts people have just been discussing that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

chin_grin if you looked at the last ten posts people have just been discussing that

Fair enough, I'd appreciate it if you laid off the cheek....not sarcasm....!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

chin_grin wrote: »
    Fair enough, I'd appreciate it if you laid off the sarcasm.

:pac:

There's literally no sarcasm in his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ok i finally got to see this last night, im a big fan of the alien series and i think ridley scott makes some very entertaining films.

I only watched the original 1st theatrical ad and avoided all others , im very glad i did.

I found it very entertaining and i think it lived up to what i expected of it, but didnt really exceed expectations.

Others may agree here but i tend to find the bigger Ridley scott films tend to have the arse cut out of them in editing , and without going through the thread in fine detail , i have a gut feeling there could be a lovely directors cut coming for this movie.

In my opinion Ridleys directors cut as he says so himself arent a typical "directors cut" but an expanded story to ad background etc. He says this when talking about kingdom of heaven, a film which imo was infinetly improved by the directors cut.

So fingers crossed for a longer cut please :D

Also i found the 3d excellent , i love when a film is filmed properly using the correct cameras , it really shows i loved the depth of the image in the movie and the quality of the visual/special effects.

Also kudos to ridley and the production team for using a lot of visual effects where possible and not relying mostly on special effects.

For me its an 8.5/10

Im going to take marks for what didnt make sense to me which was the 100% DNA match when to me the first scene of the film indicated a total reorganisation of the DNA strand to "engineer" humans.

Also lose marks for the corny idiotic biologist who tries to make friends with the mutant worms, that scene was wrong to me it felt forced. The guys need to hunker down in shelter for the night and they pick the room with the mysterious goo and stack of dead bodies etc............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

For me its an 8.5/10

Im going to take marks for what didnt make sense to me which was the 100% DNA match when to me the first scene of the film indicated a total reorganisation of the DNA strand to "engineer" humans.

Also lose marks for the corny idiotic biologist who tries to make friends with the mutant worms, that scene was wrong to me it felt forced. The guys need to hunker down in shelter for the night and they pick the room with the mysterious goo and stack of dead bodies etc............

lol, Give it time

• Advertisement

Goldstein wrote: »
    lol, Give it time
    As in your think it will all be clarified or i have missed something glaringly obvious:o

As in your think it will all be clarified or i have missed something glaringly obvious:o

About a million other discrepancies.

shizz wrote: »
    About a million other discrepancies.
    Its sci-fi i dont like to poke too hard at the universe created, as i believe some mistakes will happen due to visual effects artists etc missing a detail or whatever.

I can forgive a visual mistake , but story mistakes i think should of been caught.

Are there any other major ones you would point out?

Its sci-fi i dont like to poke too hard at the universe created, as i believe some mistakes will happen due to visual effects artists etc missing a detail or whatever.

I can forgive a visual mistake , but story mistakes i think should of been caught.

Apologies for posting it again, but it's a lot easier to show this.

Here

There were a few scientific gaffs that aren't mentioned here. Like FTL travel with the technology mentioned. I mean really faster than light. 35 light years in what was it, 2 years?

Then Charlize character mentioned how far away from earth they were.... which turns out to be about Jupiters distance.

There is no "Galactic configuration" 35 light years away. That would still be well within our own galaxy. Unless they meant something else like a globular cluster. Also scientists saying "And it has a sun.." (which I could forgive if the meant a star exactly like ours), but they go on to say "much like our own".

Perhaps some of them can be forgiven but to me it seems to be just a story set in our universe so these are mistakes.

shizz wrote: »
    Apologies for posting it again, but it's a lot easier to show this.

Here

There were a few scientific gaffs that aren't mentioned here. Like FTL travel with the technology mentioned. I mean really faster than light. 35 light years in what was it, 2 years?

Then Charlize character mentioned how far away from earth they were.... which turns out to be about Jupiters distance.

There is no "Galactic configuration" 35 light years away. That would still be well within our own galaxy. Unless they meant something else like a globular cluster. Also scientists saying "And it has a sun.." (which I could forgive if the meant a star exactly like ours), but they go on to say "much like our own".

Perhaps some of them can be forgiven but to me it seems to be just a story set in our universe so these are mistakes.

Ok personally i would forgive the technology mistakes , because Alien had already set a precendent with these major distances only taking years to travel. I dont think the original movies ever refrenced a particualr technology they used to travel so it doesnt bother me too much.

Ya the distance thing is sort of silly if its that far out , but im open to correction didnt the opening shot of the proetheus give its location written by saying its for example 36 x 10^17 miles/km or whatever from earth ? or am i confusing that with something else. Anyway if they got the distance that far wrong its sort of silly.

As for them inventing a system with a star i think thats fair enough, you say the story is set in our universe, sure earth is in it etc, but with sci-fi i think there has to be a suspension of belief espcially in this case with regards to the years mentioned in the film and our lack of progess in space exploration in the last 30 years.

To me when the original alien was filmed there was still a view of tremendous advances happening in space exploration and maybe the years it was set in seemed probable, whereas most people would see the current period as being uneventfull in the grander context.

its all sci-fi anyway i dont see any point in worrying about tech flaws
    its storyline flaws/unexplained stuff which bothers me

Also the Wikipedia has been updated in the last 2 days , i know its not proof but it says Scott has said there will be an extended additon with 20mins of extra scenes and there would be a seperate 30 min deleted scenes , these will be availble with the blur-ray/dvd release accoding to wikipedia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I seem to remember a Star Trek TNG episode that dealt with the 'Big Theme' of this film infinitely better.

Basically, all the major races in the galaxy had a map encoded into their DNA. Can't remember exactly how, but basically the humans, Klingons and Romulans etc all found out about this at pretty much the same time and were in a race with each other to solve the mystery. They follow the Map and down on the planet trigger a recorded message from their creator. A species of humanoids that were long dead biliions of years ago (as you would expect :D ) who became space faring and explored the Galaxy. They found absolutely no other life and figured they must have been the first life forms to reach sentience. They decided to seed the galaxy with life loosely based on their genetic structure and encoded the map into the genetic code so that if this life ever became intelligent it couold decoded the map.

It may well have simply been an episode to answer the criticism of why all the humanoids in the series look broadly human with differing lumps on their noses, foreheads and/or pointy ears :D It succeeded in that very cleverly I think while at the same time being even more profound and less nonsensical than the way the similar theme was dealt with in this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Well, most people here could point out countless failings with the abysmal writing but most importantly none of the central threads of the story make any sense.

Engineers creating...what exactly? all life on Earth / just humans. Either way it's laughable.

Why create a map to your weapons research planet over thousands of years on many different visits? Why did it take the Shetland Islands to convince them if they'd seen the same pattern in loads of other places? What were they doing on the Shetland Islands? How did the alien drawing scientist experts know beforehand there was a hidden cave there with a map in it?

Why did the Engineers decide to destroy them (if it was all life they were supposed to be creating) billions of years later? Their DNA didn't change in 4 billion years? Neither did ours...hang on...that whole DNA thing is just a complete mess no matter what way you look at it. They just happened to be wiped out by their weapon at the exact time they decided to go back and destroy Earth? I can't be bothered working out the odds of that one out but it's 1+a-lot-of-zeros:1. And Idris Elba knows this how exactly?

The entire plot revolves around one rich guy's quest to live a bit longer. Why was he even pretending to be dead? Why have the Luke Skywalker / Darth Vader moment with Vickers. What was the point of any of the characters?

Why did David "infect" Holloway? He was killed so what was the point of doing it? He can't possibly have predicted Shaw getting impregnated, yet alone what followed so why infect Holloway?

I'm gonna stop there. All plotholes/stupidity aside, and I'd be here for hours if I got into even the more obvious ones, in the end it's just a terribly bad story written by, it must be said, a dope who lucked out making up whatever crap came into his head as he went along in Lost - there is no great plan or explanations for anything, there is only ineptitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the more you think about Prometheus the worse it gets, its the best worst movie of 2012. if it was directed by someone other than Scott it would be ridiculed for the mess it is

Ok personally i would forgive the technology mistakes , because Alien had already set a precendent with these major distances only taking years to travel. I dont think the original movies ever refrenced a particualr technology they used to travel so it doesnt bother me too much.

Yeah that's why it was fine with Alien because they never referenced distances or a technology.
    Ya the distance thing is sort of silly if its that far out , but im open to correction didnt the opening shot of the proetheus give its location written by saying its for example 36 x 10^17 miles/km or whatever from earth ? or am i confusing that with something else. Anyway if they got the distance that far wrong its sort of silly.

It was 3.27 * 10^14 km, which is roughly 35 light years. That wasn't the problem. She said a different distance on screen which is only as far out as Jupiter.
    As for them inventing a system with a star i think thats fair enough, you say the story is set in our universe, sure earth is in it etc, but with sci-fi i think there has to be a suspension of belief espcially in this case with regards to the years mentioned in the film and our lack of progess in space exploration in the last 30 years.

But the called it a Galactic configuration. Regardless of what they were exactly talking about, that is going to contain millions if not billions of stars.
    To me when the original alien was filmed there was still a view of tremendous advances happening in space exploration and maybe the years it was set in seemed probable, whereas most people would see the current period as being uneventfull in the grander context.

its all sci-fi anyway i dont see any point in worrying about tech flaws
    its storyline flaws/unexplained stuff which bothers me

Also the Wikipedia has been updated in the last 2 days , i know its not proof but it says Scott has said there will be an extended additon with 20mins of extra scenes and there would be a seperate 30 min deleted scenes , these will be availble with the blur-ray/dvd release accoding to wikipedia.

For me the problem is that they tried to explain how they went the distances but failed by using technology that will not break the speed of light, never mind it being something which can't be broken. (Scientist and engineers thing of ways around this without technically breaking it)

But I do sort of agree that an element of suspending disbelief is needed here as it is a sci-fi movie.

The original Alien was great because it didn't try explain anything because it wasn't a main part of the movie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Some people on the thread (and I thought so at first) that the "Xeno" at the end was some sort of proto Xeno, one that is the descendent of the others in later films - Don't think this is the case, the wall mural showed something like a classic Queen, and apart from that the derelict ship in Alien is 100's of years old - maybe 1000's , and Prometheus is only set 30-40 years before Alien

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

jcf wrote: »
    Some people on the thread (and I thought so at first) that the "Xeno" at the end was some sort of proto Xeno, one that is the descendent of the others in later films - Don't think this is the case, the wall mural showed something like a classic Queen, and apart from that the dereclict ship in Alien is 100's of years old - maybe 1000's , and Prometheus is only set 30-40 years before Alien

My theory is that the Engineers "engineered" the Xeno species to evolve from the black goo into a highly organised hive society, with a heirarchical structure, with the Queen producing eggs, a warrior class that protect the Queen, a "drone" class, etc, etc. The Engineers have "programmed" the black goo to ultimately create a Xeno society as the end result of a few iterations of evolution. They know that the Queen will be the end result, hence the mural in the cargo hold of the ship on the weapon research planet. Perhaps they've fully evolved a xeno society in a lab somewhere, and they know that the Queen will be the end result. Or perhaps they've unleashed the black goo on some other humanoid species in the universe, and they know that the xenos will be the end result, after only a few generations of evolution. After all, that's what they've designed their weapon to do.

The "proto-xeno" that bursts out of the Engineer's body at the end of the movie may be a step in the evolutionary tree - maybe not the final result, but an advanced step in the evolutionary tree that's not too far off what we see in the Alien series of movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

More pics and concept art

Prometheus-2.jpg
    208914_403923956312983_178052944_n.jpg
    198363_403923122979733_234570376_n.jpg
    205393_403923949646317_1314262051_n.jpg
    251931_403924009646311_725049361_n.jpg

Really like this concept art:
    533327_403920462979999_1088826475_n.jpg

Plus, an in-depth visual effects breakdown with David Mitchell at 28 minutes :pac::

the Guy Pearce makeup looks much better there than it does in the movie. I kept thinking of Bad Grandpa from Jackass when he was on screen

NEOyiyjaBZRMST_1_1.jpg

"Hi I'm Peter Weyland and welcome to Jackass!"

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

^^Rewatched The Princess Bride over the weekend, and apart from the film still being utterly fantastic, one thing that struck me was how much better Miracle Max looked than Peter Weyland :D
    tumblr_m12a0xSqGq1qen39x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Saw this over the weekend. Was blown away mostly but sickened by parts of the script and awful acting which is tragic when compared to the quality of Alien. Shaw and David were exceptions. Wanted to like the Captain but yet again we get hollywood cheese.

3D was pointless but visually it was absolutely stunning.

• Advertisement

Nicolas Cage to star in the sequel ... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Colonial Marine to star in the sequel. $$$$$$

Mickeroo wrote: »
    ^^Rewatched The Princess Bride over the weekend, and apart from the film still being utterly fantastic, one thing that struck me was how much better Miracle Max looked than Peter Weyland :D
    tumblr_m12a0xSqGq1qen39x.jpg

bahahahahahaha! "Have fun storming the derelict alien ship!"

Colonial Marine ?

I started reading earth hive , it's badly written but catchy enough ....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Fifield's original mutation:
    Image15.jpg

That version briefly appeared in the early trailers, the gif is about 2 pages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

This is a fantastic piece that's well worth reading. It's written by Film Crit Hulk so it's all in CAPS, but don't let that put you off because the guys a phenomenal writer.

Film Crit Hulk Smash: THE DAMON LINDELOF INTERVENTION

Hulk examines PROMETHEUS and Damon Lindelof's debilitating fixation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Image15.jpg

That version briefly appeared in the early trailers, the gif is about 2 pages back.

its Jack Skellington

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Image15.jpg

Looks better tbh , at least it's more imaginative then the engineer crap...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

just saw it, 6 out of 10, some great scenes but not a great story.

1 - Why the fack is Guy pearce wearing awful make up? Just cast an old man ffs!!

2 - Why doesnt Charlize theron just run facking sideways!!? Stupid writing.

3 - needed to be at least 30 minutes longer to clarify quite a few issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Klept0

1 - Why the fack is Guy pearce wearing awful make up? Just cast an old man ffs!!

I read that he was already signed on and they just went with him due to contractual arrangements. Could be wrong though.

I'm hoping they have more content on the blu-ray with a young Guy Pearce like in that TED talk.

Advertisement