Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More violence in Dublin City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

It looks ridiculously fake. The punches are more like flapping or petting and half the time your man in white is pretending to kick. If it is a real fight then it's one of the tames I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hagz wrote: »
    It looks ridiculously fake. The punches are more like flapping or petting and half the time your man in white is pretending to kick. If it is a real fight then it's one of the tames I've seen.

For those who only watch the ufc and trained fighters maybe, this is a scuffle/scrap. Check that kick at twenty seconds again. (And also the one that brings yer man to the ground, notice the lack of a 'break-fall').

Also if it was fake, what was the aim of it? Usually there's some message or at the end they point and laugh at the 'audience' to show it was them making a show of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Hagz wrote: »

Perhaps you're used to watching film fights with added 'whipcrack' sounds. Or maybe you were expecting 'Pow' and 'Zunk' signs like in the Batman TV Series
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReHYwUq89VUAbKSpOlUIZA3jRr6GjqSy48oR6ncgmooEQafqho-Q

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

cournioni wrote: »
    The rules went out the window as soon as he swung the umbrella.

They had every excuse to. The guy nearly took his mates eye out with the umbrella if you watch the video. Assault with a weapon. If he was getting back up to hit me with an umbrella I would do the exact same thing.

The two fighters had plenty of space and time to walk away after their first kicks put the lads on their arses. Once they continued to kick and punch the lads on the ground, the argument for self-defence goes out the window.

Just because the two lads "deserved" a beating, doesn't mean it was legally or morally right to do it.

I'm 100% in favor of a persons right to defend themselves, but you don't have the right to beat the ****e out of someone just because they started it.

And yes, that opening leg kick was sweet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

fiacha wrote: »
    The two fighters had plenty of space and time to walk away after their first kicks put the lads on their arses. Once they continued to kick and punch the lads on the ground, the argument for self-defence goes out the window.
    No, it doesn't. The scummers could have got up and attacked them with knives. Or another few scumbags could have joined the fray. They were perfectly entitled to ensure they didn't continue to represent a threat.
    Just because the two lads "deserved" a beating, doesn't mean it was legally or morally right to do it.
    It looked pretty moral to me. I doubt the tourists attacked the skangs.

• Advertisement

Sappa wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong,there are scum bags and violence in the majority if cities in Europe it's not just Dublin that is this way.
    I've spent a lot of time in about 20 different European cities, including living there, and I've never seen the type of stuff you see in Dublin (although I do recall being rather surprised to see junkies injecting heroin on the street in Stuttgart). I've never been anywhere in the world with such a threatening atmosphere in the evening time - admittedly, you only really notice this if you are sober.

Gaspode wrote: »
    The video with hurleys looked like any game of hurling any given weekend, except without the ball.
    There was even a D4 guy watching, saying 'I've never seen anything like this before'.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Zascar wrote: »
    T*********, I would suggest. A small minority giving the overwhelmingly huge majority a slightly tarnished name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

chin_grin wrote: »
    For those who only watch the ufc and trained fighters maybe, this is a scuffle/scrap. Check that kick at twenty seconds again. (And also the one that brings yer man to the ground, notice the lack of a 'break-fall').

Also if it was fake, what was the aim of it? Usually there's some message or at the end they point and laugh at the 'audience' to show it was them making a show of you.

Ah sure I don't really care if it's fake or not. Just thought it was a bit surreal that the lad in the white top was throwing air kicks and soft punches. Not something you usually see in a fight.
    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Perhaps you're used to watching film fights with added 'whipcrack' sounds. Or maybe you were expecting 'Pow' and 'Zunk' signs like in the Batman TV Series

Oh ho! Very witty! What would zunk be? Zunk sounds like a knock-out blow. You should re-make the video with those effects so I can properly enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Some of the classy clientele of Dr. Quirkey's

• Registered Users Posts: 9,921 ✭✭✭dodzy

At least 6 scummers there, not including the 2 "bouncer" tools at the door of that Quirkes cesspit having a right aul' laugh.

Quirkes - a f**king disgraceful abomonation for the cities main street.

53secs. Hottie passes by. And to her left, the "father & son track suit" enjoying the show. Jeez:rolleyes:

Anyone in this thread sticking up for the tracksuit wearers in the video needs their fúcking head examined.

dodzy wrote: »
    At least 6 scummers there, not including the 2 "bouncer" tools at the door of that Quirkes cesspit having a right aul' laugh.

Quirkes - a f**king disgraceful abomonation for the cities main street.

53secs. Hottie passes by. And to her left, the "father & son track suit" enjoying the show. Jeez:rolleyes:
    To be fair, those guys are actually boxing, not trying to kill each other (although there's no reason why a guy mightn't fall and smash his skull if knocked down/out).

I'm 100% in favor of a persons right to defend themselves, but you don't have the right to beat the ****e out of someone just because they started it.

And yes, that opening leg kick was sweet :)

If you watch the video one of the "units" picks his jacket up off the ground around the corner at the end. Looks like they'd been annoying them to there, the two lads told them to **** off and still they kept at it so they were left with little choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Anyone in this thread sticking up for the tracksuit wearers in the video needs their fúcking head examined.

What? They were clearly on their way to do some charity work following a hard days labour and were set upon by thugs and used their brolly and bag of chips to defend themselves.
    The reason they were wearing tracksuits was they intended to put in a swift few laps of the local running track before settling down for the night helping others in a local soup kitchen

Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Dublin Bus Tour this time! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Rojomcdojo wrote: »

In fairness it’s very easy to make assumptions on what happened from 20-30 seconds of poor quality clips taking on someone's phone. However from what it looks like, the two 'victors' were always trying to walk away from it and only retaliated when pushed.

And from what is clear from the guy in blue's behaviour at the end, although I don't condone violence for me it looks like they only did enough to put the main threat out of action and then when they were sure he was out of action then they walked away. How many fights have you seen where scumbags cowardly still attack when the other guy is out of it?

As I said none of us really know what really happened in full but for me I have to say fair play to them. In the week that's in it I like seeing scumbags meeting their matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

As I said none of us really know what really happened in full...

Yes we do...read back a few of the other posts of second hand information (as one of their friends witnessed it) or the accounts on youtube to what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

That's bull, that lad with the umbrella gave them the right when he started it. If someone attacks you keep going until he can't go on, you can't go on or you get bored. The attacker doesn't have any right to fair treatment or to draw a line after a certain level of punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

chin_grin wrote: »
    Yes we do...read back a few of the other posts of second hand information (as one of their friends witnessed it) or the accounts on youtube to what happened.

I had read that alright, the thread ain't that long. None of us were actually there and the only people who really know what happened were the four guys involved. I rarely listen to 'my friend was there', especially on something like this. Before we know it there were thousands of witnesses and each one has added a 'purple monkey dishwasher' part.

hardCopy wrote: »
    That's bull, that lad with the umbrella gave them the right when he started it. If someone attacks you keep going until he can't go on, you can't go on or you get bored. The attacker doesn't have any right to fair treatment or to draw a line after a certain level of punishment.

The criminal courts may have a different opinion there. AFAIK the "No retreat" clause only applies to you when you are in your home.

A couple of kicks to someones head while on the ground is all it takes to end up facing an assault / manslaughter charge. There was a lot more than "reasonable force" used there
    I don't see anything wrong with walking away from a fight / confrontation. I don't need to act the Internet hardman in order to reaffirm my masculinity.

I'm not defending the actions of two lads in tracksuits.

To be fair, those guys are actually boxing, not trying to kill each other (although there's no reason why a guy mightn't fall and smash his skull if knocked down/out).

Fair enough. In light of this fact, my initial branding of the group as "scummers" was wrong. "Toe-rags", in this instance, would be a better fit.

And for the poster who claims earlier that the whupping those 2 goons on Talbot received was "morally wrong", well I just hope you are never on the receiving end of an attack or similar. Something tells me that should this occur, your stance on "morals" might be somewhat altered.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The criminal courts may have a different opinion there. AFAIK the "No retreat" clause only applies to you when you are in your home.

A couple of kicks to someones head while on the ground is all it takes to end up facing an assault / manslaughter charge. There was a lot more than "reasonable force" used there
    I don't see anything wrong with walking away from a fight / confrontation. I don't need to act the Internet hardman in order to reaffirm my masculinity.

Yeah, because we all know how well the criminal courts in this country run things. I have had my own issue with them recently when they let off a guy that stole €1500 worth of parts from my work place. Of course, the guy is on social welfare so it "isn't his fault".

In my opinion, these scumbags deserve everything they got and more, simply because the justice system in this country (which you seem to be so fond of) are not doing enough to put them off going out and randomly assaulting people in the street. This is the justice they truly understand.

Something tells me that if you were to casually tell them to go away, and turn your back in an attempt to diffuse the situation, it might not pack a sufficient message, resulting in you, Fiacha, getting your ass kicked, your pockets lightened, and maybe worse.

There is only one language these pr1cks understand, they cannot be talked rationally to when sober, never mind when as high as kites, and they got a lesson in this language when the thinner of the 2 got a size 10 in the face as he tried to get vertical.

dodzy wrote: »
    Something tells me that if you were to casually tell them to go away, and turn your back in an attempt to diffuse the situation, it might not pack a sufficient message, resulting in you, Fiacha, getting your ass kicked, your pockets lightened, and maybe worse.

I never said the two lads shouldn't have defended themselves, I'm saying that they had plenty of time to walk away after the lads first hit the ground. Unfortunately we are bound by laws which I choose to follow. Will I defend myself if I have to ?...Absolutely.

I've managed to survive 20+ years living and working in some ****ty areas of Dublin / London / Barcelona without being robbed or beaten. I must be doing something right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

You can't argue with these type of people or simply walk away, they would in fact see it as a weakness and take the opportunity to knock the crap out of you.

I never said the two lads shouldn't have defended themselves, I'm saying that they had plenty of time to walk away after the lads first hit the ground. Unfortunately we are bound by laws which I choose to follow. Will I defend myself if I have to ?...Absolutely.

I've managed to survive 20+ years living and working in some ****ty areas of Dublin / London / Barcelona without being robbed or beaten. I must be doing something right :D
    You are of course. You are steering clear of trouble and being vigilant. Still though, never say never.
    sink wrote: »
    You can't argue with these type of people or simply walk away, they would in fact see it as a weakness and take the opportunity to knock the crap out of you.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 45,264 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Love watching scumbags get a kicking, fantastic stuff.

Cheers OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

sink wrote: »

Here's a another video of a man defending himself (and girlfriend) from some scumbags, he shows far too much restraint (could have given the guys a good few kicks to the head while they were down etc...) so the guys get up and end up following him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement