Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M9 motorway (general thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭rameire

came extremely close to a flying obstacle last Tuesday on the M9.
    Northbound on the M9 half way between junction 3 and junction 2.

the flying obstacle was a 1 foot by 1 foot slab of metal, something you would find on a jcb,
    something jcb's use as feet when they are digging.

the car in front of me drove over the metal and it went flying up into the air.

the result was that it came through my windscreen, hitting me in the head, thus knocking me unconscious.
    the below is where I woke up.

carcrash1_thumb.jpg

car2.jpg

did anybody here see what happened or get any pics, I would like to know.
    if you are here thanks to the people who stopped and helped me out of the car and who got me a blanket and who called for the ambulance and gardai.

So be very wary of flying objects on the motorway.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

S h i t .....

Hope you're ok.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

OMG! That looks very nasty!

Hope you don't suffer any lasting injuries - I presume your car is a write off, but then again, cars can be replaced, people can't. What baffles me is how the car in front of you managed to toss a heavy piece of metal that high into the air. Having done a fair bit of motorway driving, I'll be keeping flying objects in mind from now on. One thing I notice in Ireland is that the motorways aren't cleaned often enough if they are at all.

Again, hope you're OK!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭rameire

cheers.
    am alright just a couple of cracks in the skull and a crack in the chest otherwise nothing wrong.
    car is a right off yes, and has already been taken to be scrapped.
    unfortunately didn't get to take the piece of metal out of the car.

it is strange how the metal flew, like a piece of cardboard.

ill always remember what the Garda said to me as I lay in the ambulance,
    " Fusk you were lucky, one inch and you wouldn't be here "

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Glad to hear you came out of it poor fiesta. Get well soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 EurasiaEndtoEnd

Get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I wouldn't say you're lucky, but in that situation you were very fortunate to survive.

Get well soon, and I hope you don't have as close a brush again until you're up near the century!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

This I posted back just over 2 years ago as the motorway network was coming to completion.
    <snip>
    Aside from litter, it is astounding how much tyre debris is left lying about the new road network both motorways and N roads.
    The litter is an eyesore but 3/4 of a lorry tyre lying just beside the overtaking lane on a motorway is just damn dangerous.
    I was thinking of reporting it but I wouldnt have made much progress if i was to stop and note down each offending bit of debris!!

It was a pleasure though to behold how well the DOE roads service looks after the roads in Northern Ireland. Pity the south couldnt achieve similar standards.
    (from Litter & Visual Pollution on the Motorway Network Thread)

At the time I thought the danger of the NRA abandoning the motorways to debris and litter was from your car being put off the road from you driving over something large.
    You've just shown how important it is to clear up the motorways, as even smaller objects may get hurled at you by other traffic.

Glad to see you came out of it in 1 piece and that only your car paid the price for sloppy motorway maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

In fairness the council are cleaning the M9 at the moment. There have been rolling lane closures as they sweep debris off the overtaking lane.
    Sorry to hear about your accident Rameire. Real heart in mouth moment I'd say!
    P.S. Think I saw the car there last tues morn. It was as you go north towards Kilcullen, a few miles from Junction 2.

According to flashing signs on the motorway today, it will be closed between J10 and J11 (Mullinavat and Knocktopher) between 9 and 15 September.

Nothing on KK Co Co's website. Anyone know anything further about this? Any idea what work is being carried out? I drive it every day and I have to say it looks fine anyway... :confused:

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    According to flashing signs on the motorway today, it will be closed between J10 and J11 (Mullinavat and Knocktopher) between 9 and 15 September.

Nothing on KK Co Co's website. Anyone know anything further about this? Any idea what work is being carried out? I drive it every day and I have to say it looks fine anyway... :confused:

No, but I saw a notice on the Independent I think a few weeks back saying the same. Scant detail and zero reason provided as to why they need to close a major motorway.
    There would want to be a very good reason and also as to why they cannot do rolling lane closures. Imagine in England if a council decided to close a major of motorway for a week? :rolleyes:

Also, they still seem to be pissing around at Paulstown where those hollows have developed and made little progress to the naked eye. Been like that for 9 months now. Crazy stuff yet again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Is the closure not to do with the dip in the road surface they have been repairing for ages?

mfitzy wrote: »
    There would want to be a very good reason and also as to why they cannot do rolling lane closures. Imagine in England if a council decided to close a major of motorway for a week? :rolleyes:

Just on that point, while the concrete barriers on Irish motorways are very effective, they don't allow for contraflows like you see from time to time in England. It would have been very helpful if gaps (say with gates) could have been left in the barrier every couple of km. The way things are here, the motorway has to be closed along an entire section.

Sully wrote: »
    Is the closure not to do with the dip in the road surface they have been repairing for ages?

No, that's somewhere up around Paulstown, either between J5-6 or J6-7. This is further south, between J10 and J11.

The other thing I noticed on my way home today is that the signs are only up on the northbound carriageway, so with a bit of luck, the work is only on one side, and the southbound carriageway will be kept open.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just on that point, while the concrete barriers on Irish motorways are very effective, they don't allow for contraflows like you see from time to time in England. It would have been very helpful if gaps (say with gates) could have been left in the barrier every couple of km. The way things are here, the motorway has to be closed along an entire section.

We have these - they are steel gates of the same profile as the barrier. Take a look next time you're on a newer road with jersey barriers - I don't think the first few (Fermoy BP, etc) have them though.

MYOB wrote: »
    We have these - they are steel gates of the same profile as the barrier. Take a look next time you're on a newer road with jersey barriers - I don't think the first few (Fermoy BP, etc) have them though.

Ah, I think I know what you're talking about - must keep an eye out next time I'm on the M9. As I recall though, they weren't very long, so would you be able to get a truck through the opening to the other side?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ah, I think I know what you're talking about - must keep an eye out next time I'm on the M9. As I recall though, they weren't very long, so would you be able to get a truck through the opening to the other side?

You should... you'd probably have to have the running lane on the other side pushed to the hard shoulder for that bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

So does anyone know the reason for the closure?

A

alinton wrote: »
    So does anyone know the reason for the closure?

A

I don't anyway, and the notification on KK Co Co's page doesn't give any further detail. Weird travelling through Ballyhale and Knocktopher again this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Seriously bugging me now that closed off lane at Paulstown. It's been like this for what, 6 months now? Simply not acceptable. It's slowing up the flow of traffic, especially when you are stuck behind a HGV. Think it's an accident waiting to happen.
    Would this happen on the continent? Doubt it somehow. Wish our county councils had nothing to do with motorway network maintenance.

And another dip has developed right next to it too :rolleyes:

The thing aboud debris on the motorways is that the car in front
    only has to lift it 2 or 3 feet into the air vertically, and if your doing 120km/h then its the same as it being flung directly at you at that speed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

hi5 wrote: »

The thing aboud debris on the motorways is that the car in front
    only has to lift it 2 or 3 feet into the air vertically, and if your doing 120km/h then its the same as it being flung directly at you at that speed :eek:

Go back 1 page and look at post #152 and see what happened to rameire......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I asked the NRA about this and its to remedy drainage concern and the flow of water off the road. Its a scheme being operated by KCC so any queries go to them.

M9 will be closed for a month between Paulstown and Danesfort. I assume to fix the issues at Paulstown? Hugely inconvienient.
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/motorway-to-be-closed-for-a-month-1-4273313

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

Thats completely riduculous - a whole month - how on earth is KKCC able to get away with this nonsesne especially in winter travelling on the old N9 / N10 with poor visibility and twisty narrow roadway

"The entire embankment has to be removed and the road structure fixed as a result of the subsidence that has taken place, Kilkenny County Council director of services John Mulholland told members at their meeting on Monday."

How many structures are we talking about here. and how long is "The Entire embankment"

if its only a few metres than surley they can just close 1 junction and not 2?

I agree it's ludricoius really. Cannot see how this could take a month and close the whole road as well. And it's unclear whether the closure between Danesfort and the N10 new link road at Dunbell is at all neccessary going to/from the southbound exits.
    The diversion will be N10 to Kilkenny ring road then old N10 to Paulstown to rejoin M9. I really thought these days were behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Cannot see how this could take a month and close the whole road as well.

How would you remove the embankment and keep the road open? An would any new embankment not need to settle a bit before you open it?

Surely a contra flow or something should be examined despite the concrete median. Closing for a whole month is surely a greater inconvenience to all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Just further reinforces my view that serious short cuts were taken in the mad scramble to build the motorways in the past few years.:(

The whole issue of problems with our new motorways needs to be looked at - there are just too many to be merely coincidental.

M9 will be closed for a month between Paulstown and Danesfort. I assume to fix the issues at Paulstown? Hugely inconvienient.
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/motorway-to-be-closed-for-a-month-1-4273313

Jesvs that's nuts...

Well I hope they do a better job than they did on that stretch between J10 and J11 just lately. The finish is very bumpy. I know you pass over it in about 10 seconds and then you're back to the good surface, but it's cear that the work was done to a lower standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Jesvs that's nuts...

Well I hope they do a better job than they did on that stretch between J10 and J11 just lately. The finish is very bumpy. I know you pass over it in about 10 seconds and then you're back to the good surface, but it's cear that the work was done to a lower standard.

I would be fairly confident that the remedial works are being carried out by roadbridge as there is always a maintenance period in most contracts ie a period of time post road opening where the contractor must fix defects that arise following project completion. This 'maintenance period' is usually two years so it is largely out of Kk co co hands I would think, open to correction though.

Only a guess here too but They as in Kk and roadbridge and their design team could also have been carrying out settlemEnt monitoring hence the long delay in any sign of physical work on site, there could also be a dispute goin on between contractor and designer as to who fcuked up etc.

I do think though that there should be better traffic management in place to reduce speed in the vicinity of the 'depressions' as it is still possible to go through the narrowed section at close to 120 kph if you have a clear rd in front of u. In any case lets hope the contractor has to cough up for the fcuk up.

Also let's hope the work is done correctly the first time and not like the case with the settlement on the stretch into Waterford by the railway bridges which has been now been repaired twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Jesvs that's nuts...

That repair work just before Knocktopher heading north is shockingly bad, you could under stand a slight lip as you enter and leave it, but surface itself is bumpy, its liken they threw it on and flattened it with a shovel:mad:

Advertisement