Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

M9 motorway (general thread)

1356722

Comments



  • Actually there are no jay-walking laws in Ireland.

    Kind of missed the point I was making:rolleyes:

    Substitute Jay-walking with littering or speeding or using mobile phone while driving to make the exact same point




  • Drove on it saturday, from my house near Kilmac to Kilcullen it took me 1 hour 15, wat i noticed on the Carlow section its not as smooth as the other parts, i guess it from been opened first but you wouldnt really mind that




  • I noticed in the Google Maps update that they have got a lot of things wrong. A lot of new Motorways are shown but are listed as an N road. A bad mistake I noticed is where the M9 ends at Waterford. Firstly it's not listed as motorway and also there is a roundabout that just doesn't exist. See below. Hopefully this is only one of a number of updates to come soon to fix issues like this.

    Copy the following into Google Maps 52.300409,-7.146864




  • IngazZagni wrote: »
    I noticed in the Google Maps update that they have got a lot of things wrong. A lot of new Motorways are shown but are listed as an N road. A bad mistake I noticed is where the M9 ends at Waterford. Firstly it's not listed as motorway and also there is a roundabout that just doesn't exist. See below. Hopefully this is only one of a number of updates to come soon to fix issues like this.

    Copy the following into Google Maps 52.300409,-7.146864

    You can report any mapping errors here.




  • In the case of the M9, google have mapped it but have classified it as it was at the end of the 1st Tranche of motorway redesignations.


  • Advertisement


  • Looks like the groundwork is being done for emergency phones on the Waterford to Knocktopher stretch. Saw a few finished bases today.




  • What are driving conditions like on the M9? Have to do Dublin-Waterford-Dublin tomorrow or Friday.




  • What are driving conditions like on the M9? Have to do Dublin-Waterford-Dublin tomorrow or Friday.

    Not the best, but take it easy and you should be okay. :)




  • Does any one know if there is an email address to report damage on the M9.
    The hundred metre marker signs at the exit for N80 Carlow junction northbound have been spun 180 degrees,making them invisible.
    Been like that for nearly a month now,propably by someone having a bit of fun.
    I use these to reduce my speed for exiting and would like them back please:mad:




  • Carlow County Council's roads department.


  • Advertisement


  • anyone else notice the new signage at the start of the Motorway near Grannagh about on on-line services and states off-line services at xx KM's etc.

    why could they just not say Services off-line at Junctions 11, 6 etc.




  • Was thinking the same Bards, the kilometers mean nothing when you have only a few seconds to see them.

    Other points...anyone else think the random spacing and positioning of the catseyes north of Knocktopher are poor workmanship?

    Also, is there a motorway maintenance crew, there's so much debris and lots of blownout tyres along the edge of the carriageway. Yesterday I saw some teenage girls running up an embankment with some warning signs they'd taken off the motorway.




  • wellbutty wrote: »

    Other points...anyone else think the random spacing and positioning of the catseyes north of Knocktopher are poor workmanship?
    The catseyes where fine before the cold spell. It was when the snow ploughs came in, they dug loads of them up. I drove on the M9 a couple times during the cold snap and I could see catseyes scattered around the middle of the road. It was a bit distracting at night seeing a couple yellow reflectors to your right.




  • Bards wrote: »
    anyone else notice the new signage at the start of the Motorway near Grannagh about on on-line services and states off-line services at xx KM's etc.

    why could they just not say Services off-line at Junctions 11, 6 etc.

    I had suggested this as well with regard to other routes as it would make it easier to judge exactly where services are. However someone pointed out if they stated a junction number it could be considered as advertising for specific service stations and indicating "approval" of those stations. There also could be legal implications in doing that as owners of stations close to other junctions could feel discriminated against.

    By keeping it somewhat vague there's no exact correlation as to what stations they are suggesting. However it does make the signs almost worthless.




  • Whos responsible for cleaning the parking areas? Arrived at one yesterday on the M9 full of rubbish including a dumped TV.




  • Local council.




  • Email them. North Tipp Co Co have been helpful when it comes to my whinging about the state of the M8.




  • Has there been any development on service areas on the M9. Disaster that you have to go so far out of your way to get to a service station




  • toe_knee wrote: »
    Has there been any development on service areas on the M9. Disaster that you have to go so far out of your way to get to a service station

    Doubt that they will get any anytime soon. M6 and M8/M7 will be next if any to get some of these

    Traffic counts on M9 wouldnt make it so attractive to have one at any decent halfway point. if they do ever get one, it will be as much if not more pointless than the Enfield one which is far too close to Dublin IMO




  • Email them. North Tipp Co Co have been helpful when it comes to my whinging about the state of the M8.

    Yeah must, I think its Kilkenny Co. Co. Shame there are no bins in place.


  • Advertisement


  • There was a picnic area on the N25 between New Ross and Waterford where the council provided bins. Within days of emptying them they were full again and the birds spent no time in pulling the rubbish out and making it an eye sore, not to mention those people who dumped rubbish there.

    The solution (which worked perfectly) was to remove the bins altogether and signs were erected informing people to take their rubbish home and that any littering would result in a fine.

    I would worry that any bins provided in these parking areas on the motorways would only result in similar behaviour.




  • NedNew2 wrote: »
    There was a picnic area on the N25 between New Ross and Waterford where the council provided bins. Within days of emptying them they were full again and the birds spent no time in pulling the rubbish out and making it an eye sore, not to mention those people who dumped rubbish there.

    The solution (which worked perfectly) was to remove the bins altogether and signs were erected informing people to take their rubbish home and that any littering would result in a fine.

    I would worry that any bins provided in these parking areas on the motorways would only result in similar behaviour.

    Fair point but how do you fine people? Who knows who did it etc.




  • Sully wrote: »
    Fair point but how do you fine people? Who knows who did it etc.

    Cameras.




  • Sully wrote: »
    Yeah must, I think its Kilkenny Co. Co. Shame there are no bins in place.

    When I asked the NRA about this, they said there are no bins because people aren't supposed to leave their vehicles at these motorway parking areas. There is supposed to be signage being erected to this effect, but the implementation seems a bit patchy on the M9.

    /csd




  • Sully wrote: »
    Whos responsible for cleaning the parking areas? Arrived at one yesterday on the M9 full of rubbish including a dumped TV.

    Why do people dump tv's and other electronic stuff. It's free to get rid of the at a proper recycle centre.

    Disrespect of the environment is sad. The fact that the drove down a motorway to dump a tv, then they had to then drive to the next exit, double back and pass the place where the dumped it. probably took them nearly an hour to dump a tv....... i dunno, some people




  • RTE are reporting a pedestrian killed on the "N9" "outside Castledermot": http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0112/rta.html

    Do they mean the old N9 or the M9?




  • Old N9 it seems, as I was passing Castledermot on the M9 when I heard the "road is closed" message on the radio.

    Mentioning that trip down the M9 today - I counted how many cars I overtook southbound. 10 in 25km. Cullen really did get this road over-prioritised...




  • MYOB wrote: »
    Old N9 it seems, as I was passing Castledermot on the M9 when I heard the "road is closed" message on the radio.

    Mentioning that trip down the M9 today - I counted how many cars I overtook southbound. 10 in 25km. Cullen really did get this road over-prioritised...

    if all cars are travelling at close to the speed limit and nothing to slow cars down then it is really hard to catch up with other cars and hence pass

    How many cars did you pass in the North Bound lane comming against you?

    When I'm on the M8 from Cahir to Mitchelstown a distance far greater than 25 Km's I would normally pass around the same amount of cars/trucks as I travel at 120 Km/h . So are we to conclude that the M8 is also over-prioritised?




  • Bards wrote: »
    if all cars are travelling at close to the speed limit and nothing to slow cars down then it is really hard to catch up with other cars and hence pass

    How many cars did you pass in the North Bound lane comming against you?

    When I'm on the M8 from Cahir to Mitchelstown a distance far greater than 25 Km's I would normally pass around the same amount of cars/trucks as I travel at 120 Km/h . So are we to conclude that the M8 is also over-prioritised?

    M8 fine...

    M9 no - id like this guy to count the cars in opposite lane next go just for the record. Complete waste of money - Waterford is barely a city (even combined with Kilkennys population isnt that big)


  • Advertisement


  • M8 fine...

    M9 no - id like this guy to count the cars in opposite lane next go just for the record. Complete waste of money - Waterford is barely a city (even combined with Kilkennys population isnt that big)

    I understand this point of view but think of the future for once, this will bring development to the region, where unemployment is above the national average, the old infrastructure was among the worst national primary in the country. Kilkenny and Waterford will reap the benefits of this road when the good times come again, which is good for everyone!


Advertisement