Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down *READ* Mod post #291

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Shao

I can't believe we are nearing 1500 posts and still nothing done! Now they haven't even got a deadline , they just won't have it all back by Monday , shocker ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

DD9090 wrote: »
    Are you serious??

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Domhnall66

Smuggled out by my mole in UB Corporate Communications:
    http://imgur.com/8M6Jd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

The whole pack of cards may be tumbling - the 'Euro crisis' is rumbling on, chaired by politicans and civil servants ( who don't inhabit the real world ! ), will there ever be an announcement that the 'crisis is over' and we're back to normal :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Now this RBS/Natwest/Ulster cock-up ( or sabotage ) is also rumbling on -

the Asians are right, buy gold and keep it in a home safe :):)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sorry if this has been dealt with but i'm wondering whether on the internet banking screen the amount under available is actually the correct amount available?

No it's not, internet banking is not updating accurately, one of my accounts is showing overdrawn when it couldn't be, the branch staff told me it's happened to a few customers.
    Ally Dick wrote: »
    The schedule was wiped. I don't know why they didn't cut over to the back up system, and roll forward from there? That'd be standard procedure in disaster recovery situations. My guess is that they panicked and tried to muddle through on the production system. Fatal mistake

According to the register, they applied the fatal change to the backup system as well as live.

Then the mad panic, instead of going to the night before, taking those completed batches and reprocessing from a "good" state would be my guess of what they did.

I said it already on thread, I had a nightmare incident where we had to redo four months month end and then year end processing due to an exchange rate data entry error. We started with the previous known good month, then applied each additional month, took us several weeks.

If these guys have kludged to try to minimise the damage and it appears they have, they have potentially made it far far worse.

As for the question about credit records, they report month by month, so this coming week reports will come in for June, which won't be updated until August based on missed payments etc from Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Capri wrote: »
    The whole pack of cards may be tumbling - the 'Euro crisis' is rumbling on, chaired by politicans and civil servants ( who don't inhabit the real world ! ), will there ever be an announcement that the 'crisis is over' and we're back to normal :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes an IT error is certainly the harbinger of the end times i check to make sure the postal service is still operational everytime i cant access gmail after all

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bizmark wrote: »
    Yes an IT error is certainly the harbinger of the end times i check to make sure the postal service is still operational everytime i cant access gmail after all

You're being a bit flip, I work in IT and have managed less visible but serious incidents.

A week ago, and even days ago I'd faith in this getting fixed.

Now I'm wondering how long I need to live on the 400 euro I took out yesterday before I've to spend another hour in the bank to get more money.

I'm still hoping that the online transfer I did on June 19th to pay for something on adverts has gone through, my account says it has, the seller STILL hasn't recieved it, so bad feedback there.

I'm worried about the fact my mortgage and other repayments have not gone out and I've no visibility on when they will.

I'm worried about the time I'll have to spend contacting my mortgage company etc to reset up standing orders as they have all been deleted.

I don't work in a job where I can take an hour or two off to get to the bank, and I commute an hour each day, so getting to the bank even with their opening hours means I have to pay €10 to get through the tunnel to get there on time.

On top of all of that, I don't want to hassle the poor frontline feckers dealing with this, and there doesn't seem any other avenue?

So poor feedback affecting my ability to buy and sell online, bad relations with my mortgage company etc, and time out from my leisure time.

Compensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Stheno wrote: »
    You're being a bit flip, I work in IT and have managed less visible but serious incidents.

A week ago, and even days ago I'd faith in this getting fixed.

Now I'm wondering how long I need to live on the 400 euro I took out yesterday before I've to spend another hour in the bank to get more money.

I'm still hoping that the online transfer I did on June 19th to pay for something on adverts has gone through, my account says it has, the seller STILL hasn't recieved it, so bad feedback there.

I'm worried about the fact my mortgage and other repayments have not gone out and I've no visibility on when they will.

I'm worried about the time I'll have to spend contacting my mortgage company etc to reset up standing orders as they have all been deleted.

I don't work in a job where I can take an hour or two off to get to the bank, and I commute an hour each day, so getting to the bank even with their opening hours means I have to pay €10 to get through the tunnel to get there on time.

On top of all of that, I don't want to hassle the poor frontline feckers dealing with this, and there doesn't seem any other avenue?

So poor feedback affecting my ability to buy and sell online, bad relations with my mortgage company etc, and time out from my leisure time.

Compensation?

Oh im not being flippant about the situation we are faced with here iv had no money for 4 days now just the escalation to potentaly finacal systems everywhere just falling apart the euro dieing and cats and dogs sleeping together

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

teddy6 wrote: »
    What do you mean by Fatal Mistake?

The fatal mistake was trying to run from the production system with no schedule in place. It's like trying to get from town A to town B through a desert with no map. If you used the backup system, you would have roads and maps at your disposal. Maybe fatal is not the right word, but it's one hell of a f@ck up all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Capri wrote: »

The Asians caused the cock-up !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I am glad that I didn't cause the **** up. That'd suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭Tow

Will it not be a thing where they will fall further and further behind, because they can't freeze upcoming payments and debits to fix old ones not gone through.

Reports are that UB is now forwarding new incoming payments to AIB for processing. So there 'should' be less of a backlog building up.

So it looks as if UB systems were just about powerful enough to run their day to day processing, with not much in reserve to handle any FUBARs. While AIB's mainframes appear to have enough processing power in reserve to handle a good chunk of another banks workload, without missing a beat.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

I am sure they'll put €100 in everyone's account as a goodwill gesture next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

To those of you with only UB personal accounts who have not opened accounts elsewhere and had all your future transactions routed there, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭daveyboynire

Up here in the North we have had damn all movement, On Wednesday 27th debits got taken out to take us up to Wednesday 20th but no payments have went in since this thing started, I am missing 2 weeks wages now along with child benefits etc and they have shifted the goal posts 3 times now in regards to when it will be fixed, they no longer expect to have it fixed this coming Monday either, its a bloody joke this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

From the Ulster Bank website:

"Unfortunately, due to the complexity and scale of the backlog, we do not now expect to be fully up to date by Monday, 2nd July."

Strange how all my credit card transactions are showing up on my online banking pronto but no sign of incoming payments like my salary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

booth70 wrote: »
    Strange how all my credit card transactions are showing up on my online banking pronto but no sign of incoming payments like my salary!

The credit card system is completely separate from current accounts etc. Hence that part is working fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

really thought there would be some movement on my acount this morning, nothing since 21st june , ffs this is a total joke at this stage:mad:

Pyongyang wrote: »
    From the Ulster Bank website:

"Unfortunately, due to the complexity and scale of the backlog, we do not now expect to be fully up to date by Monday, 2nd July."

What really concerns me is that there are still ongoing problems for some Natwest and RBS customers in the UK.....I was under the impression that ALL problems there had been resolved and that it was only the UB customers that were still having problems

I am beginning to doubt whether I'll get my salary next week:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Macca07 wrote: »
    Anyone have any problems taking money out while abroad?
    I'm going on holidays next week and want to make sure I can access my account.

Not quite abroad, but I was in Scotland last weekend and my card worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

booth70 wrote: »
    What really concerns me is that there are still ongoing problems for some Natwest and RBS customers in the UK.....I was under the impression that ALL problems there had been resolved and that it was only the UB customers that were still having problems

I am beginning to doubt whether I'll get my salary next week:mad:

http://www.google.co.nz/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADRA_enIE451IE451&q=rbs+glitch

and not for the first time - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15606707 Nov 11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

CiaranC wrote: »
    To those of you with only UB personal accounts who have not opened accounts elsewhere and had all your future transactions routed there, why not?

I like the UB systems. When it was working, it was far easier to us than the other ones. BOI still send out letters to do stuff like its the dark ages. I business bank with AIB and they are the largest bunch on incompetents - took 3 weeks to get a paper copy of a statement that went missing, and they couldn't even tell me which branch it was going to.

Like others, my CC has started updating again over the last day or so. I did have a missing payment to the credit card from the beginning of May just show up today. It was from another bank through the UB clearing account. Can only hope the problems didn't start back then on a smaller scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

So , I was due to be paid Monday .... still nothing.

Employer UB , I am BOI

I call upon ALL UB customer ..... MOVE BANKS . Hurt these people where they notice, in their pockets.

They fixed the UK nearly a week ago, but Ireland .... they don't care....they just want to milk your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭themiso

Have you noticed not much talk about this in media? And if they say/write something its mostly about having branches opened late and how sorry Ulster is. Is Ulster paying them to shut up? Because if I was to write article about it in Independent it would be nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

In case these links have not been posted already here is the truth on the matter:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/28/rbs_job_cuts_and_offshoring_software_glitch/ and http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/26/rbs_natwest_ca_technologies_outsourcing/ The comments section is full of some on the 1000 plus IT staff canned and now dishing the dirt.

Mainstream media did initially reference theregister however as a previous poster stated it was not contimued with as for the latest bull on the Ulster Bank site, we need this fixed now not telling us its unacceptable.

Also RBS issued a statement that the problem originated in Edinburgh trying to deflect the cheap outsourced labor decision however their being economic with the truth as almost all outsourced work would be remote admin. So while the actual server that was messed up was in Edinburgh the individuals messing it up were logged in from India. Do not be making us for fools!

Like others here no movement on my account since 20th and my wife wages from last Thursday not in yet, madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

themiso wrote: »
    Have you noticed not much talk about this in media? And if they say/write something its mostly about having branches opened late and how sorry Ulster is. Is Ulster paying them to shut up? Because if I was to write article about it in Independent it would be nasty.

These guys don't attack their own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

themiso wrote: »
    They're not actually paying them to shut up. I'd say that they are one of their larger advertising accounts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭millymoo

I made a transfer on 21st June from BOI online into my ubl account. €700 like and it's no where to be seen?! If my salary were getting paid into ubl I'd be hopping mad it's ludacrious at this stage. Will it ever be fixed or is me money gone? The bs they have me last week 'it'll balance in a day or two' talk about making an eejit out of u!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Davidth88 wrote: »
    They fixed the UK nearly a week ago, but Ireland .... they don't care....they just want to milk your money.

No they didn't. I know plenty of NatWest customers who are in the exact same boat as us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement