Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down *READ* Mod post #291

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

And just to add fuel to the fire and to completely *hit on its customers its now spiining this line to RTE (I thought I was hearing things on the headlines on RTE TV at 3.00 pm):

"The bank has said that "the bulk" of salary payments are up-to-date. However, some customers are still experiencing a delay in receiving pay."

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Somebody posted they spoke to a cashier who said they were coming in "very early" on monday to sort more out.

Sorry, but f*** off. Get staff to work over the weekend?! Some of us are without salaries for over a week now.

Disgusting behaviour.

I will be moving to another bank, and as another customer has said, just using UB for my direct debits, slowly migrate them over as I can. My July salary will be going to a different bank, that is for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Eh, I would sincerely hope that people don't panic. Ulster Bank's not really doing much to help the situation with all this poor communication and confusion.

As annoying as this is, your money is definitely not going anywhere and it's backed up by a very very large deposit guarantee from the state.

A bank run would be very bad for everyone in Ireland and the UK too. It's totally pointless, unnecessary and should not happen. All it would do is end up passing costs onto the tax payer in Ireland and the UK!

Your money is safe - it's just a case of REALLY bad IT planning!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

ellieh1 wrote: »
    No wages have hit my Ulster Bank account yet, I should have been paid last Thursday and again yesterday.:mad:

I should have been paid last Friday and today, not a bean.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 idcrisis

For people complaining about Ulster bank, here are a few thoughts of mine. This is my first time and first job in Dublin. I had to pay 1500 euros today to clear my credit card bills back in my country. Due to the Ulster outage , I couldn't do the online transfer and had to use Western union money transfer to send the money. It almost costed me 76 euros to send the money. But I am not feeling bad at all. Put yourself in their shoes and think. Its really great of Ulster bank to let me withdrew 1500 cash without my payslip and just based on the figure what I said.(my pay is 2500 euros). Its very difficult to cope up with such a terrifying situation and I say ulster bank staff is handling it really well.I just hope that the things settle down by this weekend.

Even if you are thinking to switch your account to AIB , they don't have a free transactional current account. You have to maintain 3000 euros in your current account to be eligible for free transactions.(Includes ATM , online etc)

Please think positively and give it some time for the problem to be solved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

idcrisis wrote: »
    )Please think positively and give it some time for the problem to be solved.

Can appreciate the front-line staff at the branches, no excuse for upper management/IT. Also this is going on 10 days now, that's over and above the time it should've taken to solve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

Also this is going on 10 days now, that's over and above the time it should've taken to solve.
    How do you know how long it should or should not take to solve?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Please think positively and give it some time for the problem to be solved.

Thinking positively is not going to get my bills paid I'm afraid. I was talking to UB staff earlier and I'm not holding my breath that this will be resolved any time soon. The lady I spoke with did not sound confident in any way that they knew there was an end in sight.

You can give a business a certain bit of leeway when an error occurs but 10 days plus seems excessive

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

tunedout wrote: »

Are you serious??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Ah come on. Leaving people with no money for over a week. Not on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

Well we know its not taking as long to solve the problem in the UK.

So its safe to say its taking bloody too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Just checked, no movement...
    If its not sorted soon, I might have to dip into thr credit unions savings. :(

Caribs wrote: »
    Thinking positively is not going to get my bills paid I'm afraid. I was talking to UB staff earlier and I'm not holding my breath that this will be resolved any time soon. The lady I spoke with did not sound confident in any way that they knew there was an end in sight.

You can give a business a certain bit of leeway when an error occurs but 10 days plus seems excessive

Completely understand your situation. When i was working with JP morgan chase, one of our staff deleted all the luxemberg customers data and we fixed it within 24 hours(had 4 IT centers opened for 24 hours to replay the backlog), even before it leaked to the media. But in this case , it affected a large group of customers, over 10 billion and I am not surprised that that it took 10 days.

The only thing that bothers me is the communication with the customers. They should have properly estimated the restorable time . If they ain't up by monday, they would lose atleast 80% of its customers.

I myself , would wait until monday. If they aren't able to come up with a reasonable timeline , I would switch to AIB and move my standing orders/direct debits , to be on a safer side.But I would still keep my Ulster bank current account open, just in case they become fully functional within a short period.

PS: You see , cannot let down one of the big four Irish Banks and so its employees

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I myself , would wait until monday. If they aren't able to come up with a reasonable timeline , I would switch to AIB and move my standing orders/direct debits , to be on a safer side.But I would still keep my Ulster bank current account open, just in case they become fully functional within a short period.

PS: You see , cannot let down one of the big four Irish Banks and so its employees

The trouble is that this could just as easily happen to AIB.

The whole thing is such a pain. My rent was due yesterday and other DDs are supposed to be firing out of my account all the time. All I can do is wait til wages are finally in there, work out what damage has been done in terms of fees and then I'll be judging Ulster Bank on how well they deal with the repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jps44

New deadline (on RTE website) now MIDDLE of next week, whats betting it will be END of next week then and so on.......At what point do they have to call in assistance from elsewhere as it would appear that they need help !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I drove fifty miles today to open up a new account in ptsb, and I had to bring my new account details to the social welfare office to be in time for next Thursdays payment. I will be closing my UB accounts when this crap is eventually sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Ulster Bank told him. That they've been wrong with every deadline so far shouldn't be held against the poster. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Some ominous reading....it seems we are not the only victims of the RBS spin, all is still not well across the Irish Sea.
    Ten days after the IT meltdown first left hundreds of thousands of people without access to their accounts, scores of irate NatWest and RBS customers claim they are still missing wages and other payments.

Royal Bank of Scotland continues to maintain it is almost back to normal, with 99% of customers' accounts up to date. Yet the number of customers who have posted on Twitter and contacted the Guardian to say that they are still without money suggests the problems may be more widespread.
    Furthermore, not sure what to make of this;
    Susan Allen, RBS director of customer services, who appeared on a live web chat on the Guardian Money website earlier this week, told an Ulster Bank customer: "I appreciate your frustration that UB recovery is taking longer than RBS/NW. The problems with UB have been particularly stubborn but we are confident we can fully resolve the issues although unfortunately it will take a few more days."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jun/29/natwest-customers-without-money?newsfeed=true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Subsitute Ulster Bank for Killian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭chasm

jps44 wrote: »
    New deadline (on RTE website) now MIDDLE of next week, whats betting it will be END of next week then and so on.......At what point do they have to call in assistance from elsewhere as it would appear that they need help !!

Child benefit due on Tuesday, so let's see if they make the new "deadline".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I drove fifty miles today to open up a new account in ptsb, and I had to bring my new account details to the social welfare office to be in time for next Thursdays payment. I will be closing my UB accounts when this crap is eventually sorted.

And what happens when something similar happens to ptsb? I'd say they all operate pretty much the same system.someone could hack into their pcs.when computers are involved all banks are vulnerable.
    same old story theres no problem until there is one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

With RTE reporting Ulster have issued a new deadline of the middle of next week before normal operations resume, I can see a mass exodus of customers leaving! Especially if they yet again extend the deadline beyond this new one! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 silentbang

Especially if they yet again extend the deadline beyond this new one! :rolleyes:

Id bet you 2 weeks wages that they will extend the deadline, oh wait i cant bet they have my bloody wages!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭danois

FFS they should be bending over backwards to keep us thier customers happy and yes I know the frontline staff are and I couldnt fault them, BUT no info from anyone who actually knows anything.

Website says last update was 8 this morning and when you click on read our latest statement its from yesterday. So annoyed now not by the "glitch" or even the fact its taking so long its the lies why not say we have a problem we are doing our best to sort it and as soon as we have a definite date it will be resolved by we will tell you. I would of been a lot happier with that than all this changing this week next week ffs how long are we supposed to put up with this for. ~Rant over~

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bayou

silentbang wrote: »
    Id bet you 2 weeks wages that they will extend the deadline, oh wait i cant bet they have my bloody wages!!!

I worked in banking for years and I can't ever remember such a situation.

The front line staff in UB have been pretty much hung out to dry by the suits in the various Head Offices, and I feel really sorry for them and for the line Branch Managers who will no doubt be called to account for the massive loss of business this fiasco will ultimately mean to their branches.

Its the branch staff who are bearing the brunt of the public's anger, and that is not fair. They are doing the best they can under impossible conditions.

The Ulster Bank must use the same PR company as Ryanair. Their feeble'we're sorry, its unacceptable' is no good to the one parent family down the country who lives 30 miles from a branch and is living on baked beans.

Heads have to roll for this, from the top down, starting with the muppet who signed off on relocating the IT to India.

Seeing as credits from Thursday 21st June have still not been dealt with 8 days later, can anyone see the fiasco ending for at least another week ?

So next time you visit an Ulster Bank, thank the staff for their efforts and tell them its not their fault. Also tell them you have no faith in anyone above the rank of branch Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭stephen812

Even the Branch Managers seem to have poor PR skills - I've had patience for the last 7 days, but had to finally go into my branch today to withdraw some money for the weekend, stepped inside the door, only to be greeted by 22 people in front of me and 2 UB managers standing watching the tennis on the T.V. and having a great chat. Everyone in the que was commenting on it but the 2 men didn't seem to be too bothered.

After about 10 minutes they came over asking could they help anyone doing an express lodgement. I was 25 minutes in total in the que, when I finally got to the counter the poor girl behind the desk said that the latest from head office was that "they hoped all wages / salaries from 21st June would be in accounts by the end of next week"! :eek::eek::eek:

stephen812 wrote: »
    Even the Branch Managers seem to have poor PR skills - I've had patience for the last 7 days, but had to finally go into my branch today to withdraw some money for the weekend, stepped inside the door, only to be greeted by 22 people in front of me and 2 UB managers standing watching the tennis on the T.V. and having a great chat. Everyone in the que was commenting on it but the 2 men didn't seem to be too bothered.

After about 10 minutes they came over asking could they help anyone doing an express lodgement. I was 25 minutes in total in the que, when I finally got to the counter the poor girl behind the desk said that the latest from head office was that "they hoped all wages / salaries from 21st June would be in accounts by the end of next week"! :eek::eek::eek:

Is thats really the case then i will be closing all three UB accounts when everythings sorted. I was really patient to begin with but this is beginning to become an absolute joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

has anyone had any new transactions on their statements today, none on my internet banking but on a mini statement from ub atm there where 3 atm withdrawals i had in the last 9 days

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    has anyone had any new transactions on their statements today, none on my internet banking but on a mini statement from ub atm there where 3 atm withdrawals i had in the last 9 days

my current account is frozen to the balance it was at when everything went haywire.

my credit card however has been debited interest this week, and a cash withdrawl is showing up on the account that i only made two days ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement