Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

John Mullane is out for the season after he broke his ankle in a freak accident at home late last nite,just when we thought our season was back on track,, disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

John Mullane is out for the season after he broke his ankle in a freak accident at home late last nite,just when we thought our season was back on track,, disaster

Roflcopter

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

right lads D-Day is upon us :) lets hope we can pull this off.Go on the Deise .anyone know what time the eastern and western final in the fraher field is starting ?

yeah right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

That's what we're telling de Duuubs inanywayes!!! Jaysus, wha'? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

right lads D-Day is upon us :) lets hope we can pull this off.Go on the Deise .anyone know what time the eastern and western final in the fraher field is starting ?

12-30

Black Suir wrote: »
    12-30

nice one thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Ya frightened the sh!t out of me there until I realised April Fools day! :pac:

Big game today, really looking forward to it. I'd fancy KK to look after Galway for us, we just have to keep our end of the bargain and look after the Dubs. Any word yet of a Dublin team or has it been named yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Cake Man wrote: »

Ya frightened the sh!t out of me there until I realised April Fools day! :pac:

Big game today, really looking forward to it. I'd fancy KK to look after Galway for us, we just have to keep our end of the bargain and look after the Dubs. Any word yet of a Dublin team or has it been named yet?

Sorry lads full of me fun today..
    I can't find any news on Dublin team yet thought team be announced by now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Surely a team has to be named by now otherwise our programs will be filled with 1-24 "An Other" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Anyone recommend any live text feeds on the game ? Not enought bandwidth to even get wlr..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Anyone recommend any live text feeds on the game ? Not enought bandwidth to even get wlr..

12 pts to 4 ahead at ht. Kk hammering galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

5 minutes left.

Waterford 0-17 Dublin 0-10 seemingly. Would be a fantastic turn around the last two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Finished up Waterford 0-17 Dublin 0-13.

1A hurling again next season as Kilkenny beat Galway out the gate. Wasn't up there myself. Wonder what kind of team Dublin put out and were they really up for it seeing as they were facing the playoff anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭egpower

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Finished up Waterford 0-17 Dublin 0-13.

1A hurling again next season as Kilkenny beat Galway out the gate. Wasn't up there myself. Wonder what kind of team Dublin put out and were they really up for it seeing as they were facing the playoff anyway.

Doesn't matter a jot - status retained (just...) !

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

What an unlikely escape from the jaws of relegation! To think just over a week ago, you could not imagine we would escape the drop this year. A fantastic turnaround from players, management and all involved, in an especially turbulent time. Here's hoping its all onward and upward from here, and with two and a half months until Clare, we have a much needed respite to regather and relaunch ourselves for the championship. Up the Deise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Just back from game. Great result but a lot of work to be done.

Dublin had a weak side out and were missing a number of players (Ryan, Boland, Kelly, O'Dwyer). Liam Rushe was on the 15 in the programme but i honestly don't know whether he actually played or not...would appreciate if someone could shed some light on this!

We put in a good first half display but it has to be said, Dublin were extremely poor. Gavin O'Brien put over a number of good scores and we were strong through the middle with Moran, Twomey and Pauric Mahony performing well. Full back line and half back line also looked safe with Brick and Tony as mighty as ever.

Second half was a combination of us losing our momentum and a much improved Dublin display. We were very sloppy in giving away possession and wasteful in a number of good scoring positions. Very scrappy second half display overall. Dublin chipped away at our lead and it took some timely scores from Mullane and Maurice as well a brilliant point from Eoin Kelly to stem the tide.

Overall, without naming names, it appeared to me that a number of players are significantly behind in terms of fitness and a few will need to shed some pounds before June. But at the end of the day, the result is what counts and it was a good honest effort from all involved. Long way to go to get to Championship standard though.

As for Dublin, they left a couple of players at home, presumably to keep them fresh for the relegation playoff. With those players to come back and given Galway's mauling at Nowlan Park, I would fancy the Dubs to avoid the drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭skaface

Good result today, did what we had to do.. Div. 1 hurling secured for next year.
    I thought the backline were solid enough today, Dean Twomey played well enough at midfield with Moran. I thought our half forward line were poor, they
    didn,t win hardly any of our puck outs. Our full forward line did well enough when
    the right ball was played into them, young Gavin O Brian got a few lovely scores.
    Nice to see Eoin Kelly comming on, would have given him more than 8 minutes
    though.. scored a great point . John Mullane got a few great points and worked
    hard. Adrian Power wasn,t really tested today, he has some puck outs, landing
    some nearly into the full forward line, but we had no ball winner in the air.
    So, a lot of work to do between now and June 17th, at least we will be in a
    better frame of mind over the next few weeks, having kept ourselves in the
    top tier for next year. On Dublin today, more like a challenge match for them..
    they will be a hard team to beat later in the year. Looking at the sideline today, it looked to me that it was KEN Mc GRATH that was calling the shots
    on the line..

Just back home now. Main thing is Div 1A status retained and the great escape is complete. It wasnt a great game all told, but it was never likely to be considering what was at stake. Dublin made at least 4 changes to the 15 named in the program and were clearly in experimental mode, this continued with the subs, and thankfully the very dangerous youngster Danny Sutcliffe wasnt brought on till late on.

From Waterford POV some definite positives to be taken, Gavin O Brien had a great first half, 4 good points from play. Dean Twomey and Moran impressed throughout and all of the backs played very well. The much maligned Eoin McGrath also did well I thought. We've now gotten 3 clean sheets in a row and hopefully this is something we can build on.

There are obviously much sterner tests ahead and we wont encounter teams as wasteful as Dublin were today again this year I'd imagine. For shame on who came up with the league structure, Waterford's next competitive game is now not until 17th June and the championship game v Clare. Its simply unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

doz wrote: »
    Dublin had a weak side out and were missing a number of players (Ryan, Boland, Kelly, O'Dwyer). Liam Rushe was on the 15 in the programme but i honestly don't know whether he actually played or not...would appreciate if someone could shed some light on this!

Na Rushe didn't play any part. Very happy with the win and securing 1A status for next season. If you said two weeks ago we wouldn't even have to play a relegation play-off, you would have been laughed at.

First half we played well, Gavin O'Brien taking some fine scores including one where he controlled the ball coming at him at pace with one hand on the hurley, turned his man and slotted over-peach of a point. Moran and Twomey did well in midfield, def Twomey's best game in a county shirt. Mullane was decent, probably tried a bit too hard at times but made some valuable contributions.
    Second half, we fell asleep. Moran got a fine point but we must have gone about 15-20mins without a score and Dublin slowly but surely ate into our lead. Some good points by Mullane and Kelly sealed the win.

Like I said, very happy to get the job done but plenty to improve on in the next 10 weeks. Struggled to win ball in our HF line. Falling out of the second half for such a long period nearly cost us, Dublin registered 17 wides. Against a more proficient team, we would have been beaten. Defence in fairness did very well, Dublin didn't get a sniff at goal. Lawlor came off with an injury, hopefully he's ok as he did well. They mentioned after the game too that Wayne Hutch and Richie Foley would be back training in a few weeks, Noel Connors also close to a return to action.

Ten weeks is a long time to prepare, I hope there's a few challenge games lined up but for now well done to the lads, delighted for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Just back from game. Great result but a lot of work to be done.

We put in a good first half display but it has to be said, Dublin were extremely poor. Gavin O'Brien put over a number of good scores and we were strong through the middle with Moran, Twomey and Pauric Mahony performing well. Full back line and half back line also looked safe with Brick and Tony as mighty as ever.

Second half was a combination of us losing our momentum and a much improved Dublin display. We were very sloppy in giving away possession and wasteful in a number of good scoring positions. Very scrappy second half display overall. Dublin chipped away at our lead and it took some timely scores from Mullane and Maurice as well a brilliant point from Eoin Kelly to stem the tide.

Overall, without naming names, it appeared to me that a number of players are significantly behind in terms of fitness and a few will need to shed some pounds before June. But at the end of the day, the result is what counts and it was a good honest effort from all involved. Long way to go to get to Championship standard though.

As for Dublin, they left a couple of players at home, presumably to keep them fresh for the relegation playoff. With those players to come back and given Galway's mauling at Nowlan Park, I would fancy the Dubs to avoid the drop.

Ryan O'Dwyer played the entire game (no. 28). Liam Rushe didn't play at all.

Great achievement and though we're lucky I guess to still be up, we deserve it for the amazing win last week backed by a solid effort this week. We were 8 points in front at half time and hurled well, but in reality we should have been more given the way Dublin were playing. They weren't up for it at all.

Gavin O'Brien was outstanding first half scoring 4 points, one absolutely sublime point when he extended his hurley and killed the ball dead, turned and straight over. He's a really talented hurler.

Great to see Dean Twomey come into the game as it wore on and he made numerous catches, and showed the running game he was synonmous with at De La Salle. My man of the match.

The entire backline showed up well. Liam Lawlor was playing quite well at full back until injury forced him off early in the second half. Shane O'Sullivan was impressive too and the rest were solid.

Moran was our next best player behind Twomey I think. Eoin McGrath played very well first half. Deteriorated second half but was maybe unlucky to be taken off, though late on.

I'd have to disagree about Paudi Mahony, he wasn't at the races at all for me today. Hopefully, he'll put it behind him quickly.

Treinor is a really good corner back (was outstanding for Dublin against Cork) and he gave Mullane enough of it for most of the game. His touch isn't as sharp as most of the others, but he still contributed 2 or 3 points, one being an excellent and very timely score in the second half when Dublin were eating away at our lead. Shane Walsh started promisingly but never really got fully going, did alright though. Maurice was pretty good again today, he's had a very good league for me.

Eoin Kelly came on and though he was only involved once, he scored what was the best point I've seen in any league game this year, worth watching League Sunday for that and O'Brien's point alone.

All in all we were good first half but fell away immediately in the second half. Combination of things there, fitness being one and maybe feeling we had the job done. It was the forward that were the problem because they just couldn't win the ball in the second half.

One thing I think we need to address is how high the puckouts are. Our half forward line has improved in the air, but the bottom line is when we play Kilkenny they'll still be to good if you hit the ball into the clouds. They're phenomenal in the air, and it also means the ball takes longer to get to forward meaning they've more time to get close and put them under pressure. Wouldn't have any real major concerns at the moment. I think the team looks physically strong which is great to see, we just need to work on our fitness and that side to it will be fine.

David O'Sullivan came one late again, he'll have a chance to play himself into contention for the championship team. Molumphy came on as well and was alright. Noel Connors of course still has to come back, and Foley so we have the makings of a good full team and good bench players. Plenty to work on no doubt, but plenty of time to do so, in fact too much time as Kev has mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

One thing that is still unsolved at the end of our league campaign is who we will play at centre forward come June. We've tried a number of players with varying degrees of success. The Brick experiment didn't work, Seamus and Shane did alright when played there, whereas although he worked hard and played ok today, Paudie Mahony is not a centre forward. Who would people's preferred choice at CF be? Has Dean Twomey played CF at all for De La Salle? He caught a lot of good ball today and might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Fair play to Waterford, didn't look really troubled at any stage today and look to have a good young team coming through so I'm delighted they'll have 1A hurling again next year. Twomey looked fantastic today, as did Gavin O'Brien (especially in the first half). A good enthusiastic crowd in Dungarvan too, which was nice to see.

Tough to see how the Dublin team has disintegrated this year through injuries, today's team was just a shell of a team really with so many key men missing for various reasons (Ryan, Rushe, Hiney, Brady, Keaney, Schutte, Kelly, McCormack, Boland, McCrabbe, Sutcliffe not starting etc...) That said, we'll have no excuses now in two weeks time against Galway and it really is do or die.

However...

As was made quite clear when the ridiculous league system was announced, this is going to benefit nobody in the long run. A top division without Dublin or Galway (or Clare, Limerick, Offaly...) doesn't benefit hurling as a sport. I'm not saying this now because Dublin are at risk of relegation, but it has to be said yet again. How are the weaker or fringe counties supposed to improve to a level where they can be competitive in this system?

One thing that is still unsolved at the end of our league campaign is who we will play at centre forward come June. We've tried a number of players with varying degrees of success. The Brick experiment didn't work, Seamus and Shane did alright when played there, whereas although he worked hard and played ok today, Paudie Mahony is not a centre forward. Who would people's preferred choice at CF be? Has Dean Twomey played CF at all for De La Salle? He caught a lot of good ball today and might be an option.

We've a habit of moving players into what perceive to be more important positions in Waterford simply because they play well there. Logic should dictate that they should remain where they play well. Hence, Twomey should stay in midfield. I don't think Shane Walsh was very effective centre forward to be honest, and we lose a lot of scoring potential by doing that.

Seamus is one option, but I think Maurice is an equally viable option and would probably be my choice.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    As was made quite clear when the ridiculous league system was announced, this is going to benefit nobody in the long run. A top division without Dublin or Galway (or Clare, Limerick, Offaly...) doesn't benefit hurling as a sport. I'm not saying this now because Dublin are at risk of relegation, but it has to be said yet again. How are the weaker or fringe counties supposed to improve to a level where they can be competitive in this system?

Agree completely. While it has been a plus to have so much at stake in the last round of league games this season - only one 'dead rubber' in todays games in 1A and 1B. There are serious issues, firstly like you said above 6 team 1A is too low, and doesnt do hurling any favours.

Secondly the teams finishing 4th in 1A (Waterford), 3rd and 4th in 1B (Offaly, Antrim) are left with a crazy gap from 1st April until the championship with no competitve games. That is crazy and unfair on those teams. In our case its an 11 week gap now till we face Clare in the Munster Championship.

btw MrJoeSoap, young Sutcliffe is a serious prospect. Saw him against KK and was well impressed, was pleased from a Waterford POV that he didnt line out as suggested by the programme today, but even in his brief cameo near the end he showed what he could do. Also was really impressed by Ruairi Traynor today at number 2

KevIRL wrote: »
    btw MrJoeSoap, young Sutcliffe is a serious prospect. Saw him against KK and was well impressed, was pleased from a Waterford POV that he didnt line out as suggested by the programme today, but even in his brief cameo near the end he showed what he could do. Also was really impressed by Ruairi Traynor today at number 2

+1 on both accounts

Saw the Dublin V Cork game and Traynor was the best of the defense. Sutcliffe scored 5 points from midfield that day, really destroyed O'Hailpin and he's up there as a contender for young hurler of the year (it'll be interesting to see who wins that as there is stiff competition from the phenomenon that is Conor Lehane.)

One more thing about today's game, Curran should never have been sent off, not sure that it was even a free.

Kirwan is a really poor ref, how many times does that have to be highlighted before something is done about? More bad decisions today, just not good enough.

Keep forgetting to mention Darragh Fives, another huge addition to the team when he's back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

KevIRL wrote: »

Sutcliffe has been the shining light this year, excelled at half-back in Galway, and was arguably man-of-the-match in the next three games. Fantastic prospect, if we had a fully fit panel we could really be All Ireland contenders in a few years, no exaggeration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Any sign if Brian O Halloran? One of the best minors of the last couple of yrs. No disrespect to Eoin McGrath but he's not good enough. Waterford's halfforward line looks v weak.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement