Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I wont lie, Id be devastated. But they have such a wealth of music of such a high standard that I could easily go back back and hear something new.

Im not overly surprised, there was never any album news, and hes known for doing this. Sure look at Blackfield, he has let the main respinsibility go to Aviv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Mushy wrote: »
    I wont lie, Id be devastated. But they have such a wealth of music of such a high standard that I could easily go back back and hear something new.

Im not overly surprised, there was never any album news, and hes known for doing this. Sure look at Blackfield, he has let the main respinsibility go to Aviv.

Another comment I came across yesterday from Gavin Harrison is on this page: http://starsdie.com/wp/gavin-harrison-video-interview-june-7th-2012/

Look at the third video, starting around 0:43 seconds in.

http://soundcloud.com/steven-wilson/tracks

Top song is a demo from Deadwing/In Absentia era, for those who haven't got to hear it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Good interviews. I agree with both of them to be honest. I would hate to see Porcupine Tree burnt out. It would ruin them...

The one thing I would be disappointed about is not seeing them live again for a long time.

If they stopped writing and just did the occasional tour I would be happy to accept that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's not surprising, SW would never force an album out for the sake of making an album, but I'd genuinely be devastated if they stopped.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

It's not surprising, SW would never force an album out for the sake of making an album, but I'd genuinely be devastated if they stopped.

I don't think they will stop, but it looks like it could be a few years yet before we hear of anything. Sure he's even playing some No-Man shows towards the end of summer after their one benefit show went so well.

He's a very organic type of song-writer, so its definitely better for them to stay that way. Sure gavin has his O5ric stuff, which is outstanding IMO.

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Good interviews. I agree with both of them to be honest. I would hate to see Porcupine Tree burnt out. It would ruin them...

I agree, and I think that maybe having toured with "The Incident" for such a long time has tired them out for a while. I just hope that in the meantime, Wilson doesn't burn himself out - I don't know how the guy keeps going, he seems to be working on new stuff 24/7 and it seems he's announced plans for a third solo album.

In a strange way, and I'm not comparing like with like here, it's almost like the situation that used to prevail in Genesis - they get together every few years to record, put out an album and tour with it and in the meantime they all go off and do their own stuff. And when they started to appeal to bigger numbers, Collins was in demand everywhere - producing, guest musician, collaborating, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

:(

They have been my new favourite band for a few months now. Was hoping to see them live at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

I'm glad I saw their amazing show at Tripod in 2010 :P. Needless to say I'd love to see them as many times as possible though, and I was relatively new to PT in 2010.

I got the impression that Porcupine Tree is patently not over, we just might not see them together for a long while. I certainly wouldn't want them to churn out an album solely for the sake of the fans, like a similar record to Deadwing, FOABP or The Incident. I'd hope that after the toll of their last tour together dissipates, they'd find a time when they're all in the mood to make some fresh material that they can really enjoy and be passionate about.

I'm not disappointed to hear that his solo career, remixing work and Storm Corrosion have become what's important to him now, because I can't get enough of that stuff. Now that Opeth's Heritage tour is coming here later this year, it would be great to have solo Steven Wilson too. Storm Corrosion is understandably out of the question for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement

xerces wrote: »
    I'm glad I saw their amazing show at Tripod in 2010 :P. Needless to say I'd love to see them as many times as possible though, and I was relatively new to PT in 2010.

I got the impression that Porcupine Tree is patently not over, we just might not see them together for a long while. I certainly wouldn't want them to churn out an album solely for the sake of the fans, like a similar record to Deadwing, FOABP or The Incident. I'd hope that after the toll of their last tour together dissipates, they'd find a time when they're all in the mood to make some fresh material that they can really enjoy and be passionate about.

I'm not disappointed to hear that his solo career, remixing work and Storm Corrosion have become what's important to him now, because I can't get enough of that stuff. Now that Opeth's Heritage tour is coming here later this year, it would be great to have solo Steven Wilson too. Storm Corrosion is understandably out of the question for the foreseeable future.

The bit in bold is exactly the situation. They need to take a step back from it, the time will come and the album will be all the better for it. While another Deadwing would be class, its not how Steven works.

Storm Corrosion won't be played live, they never intended it too cos it'd be too expensive for the fans, and them obviously. Be amazing if was Steven supporting Opeth, but Anathema will do nicely.

I'm reminiscing back to May '08, knew 3 songs, saw them live and reaction was :eek: Metallica couldn't even interest me after it, and they made Incubus look dreadful.

I count myself very lucky to have seen them twice. I've travelled to London in both cases, initially to see them perform The Incident in it's entirety at the Hammersmith Apollo and then for the last concert of the tour at the Albert Hall. Must put up some photos from that gig.

And what made that gig even more memorable was meeting the band afterwards at the "after show" party. :D

Delphi91 wrote: »
    I count myself very lucky to have seen them twice. I've travelled to London in both cases, initially to see them perform The Incident in it's entirety at the Hammersmith Apollo and then for the last concert of the tour at the Albert Hall. Must put up some photos from that gig.

And what made that gig even more memorable was meeting the band afterwards at the "after show" party. :D

What was Gavin like? He seems really nice.

Very nice. They all were. Colin wasn't there, he had left but the rest were very nice and obliging - they all signed a large copy of the print which is the cover of the Incident album for me - even John Wesley (real nice guy).

It was a real who's who of prog that night at the party - Steve Hogarth and Steve Rothery from Marillion were there and also Steve Hackett from Genesis (Steve/Steven seems to be a popular name in the Prog music world :D)

Both those shows were immense, really loved the Incident one.

Very nice. They all were. Colin wasn't there, he had left but the rest were very nice and obliging - they all signed a large copy of the print which is the cover of the Incident album for me - even John Wesley (real nice guy).

I am so god damn jealous of you :D Would love to get something like that!

Met Gavin at the drum clinic he did in X-Music, absolute gent.

Steven Wilson's new live band is absolutely brilliant. It's a mixture of jazz and rock musicians.

He has Marco Minneman on drums, the guy who was tied with Mangini for the Dream Theater audition and is better imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Be amazing if was Steven supporting Opeth, but Anathema will do nicely.

I didn't really mean in support of Opeth in November, an Irish visit of his own would be my hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vamosmikey

new SW album early next year. Written for his live band to play, rather then on GFD he just got session lads in. Should be interesting.

Alan Parsons producing/engineering on it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Old thread, but I'm stoked that I'm going to see Steven Wilson at the Royal Festival Hall (South Bank, London) in a few weeks (4th March). As noted, he's put together something of a supergroup: Nick Beggs on bass (Kajagoogoo, Maddy Prior), jazz keyboardist Adam Holzman and longtime collaborator Theo Travis on woodwinds, all of whom are on Get All You Deserve. Plus Guthrie Govan & Marco Minnemann (2/3 of The Aristocrats) on guitar & drums. It's going to be Large. :cool:

Steven has also announced that he's cutting back on the remixing work, pulling out of the Emerson, Lake & Palmer remixes because "I can’t honestly say I love them".
    Wilson says the remaining ELP reissues will be handled by Jakko Jakszyk, a Robert Fripp collaborator.

“Going forward,” Wilson adds, “I’m only going to do things I genuinely really, really love. The main thing about doing them for me is what I learn from the process. I really have learned a lot from working on these records. I absolutely love the King Crimson, Jethro Tull and XTC records I’m doing now.”

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Off to see his Glasgow show along with Dr. Poca come March. Little bit excited :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

He's released a new video for 'The Raven that Refused to Sing'. It's an animated video too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

In fairness, its their choice if they want to take a step back and if wilson wants to do his thing. They've put out plenty of music and toured a fair bit. It's not like Tool and their general **** treatment of fans where they leave them in the dark for 5 plus years without giving a damn.

Jealous of anyone going to see him. Luminol is some song, he seems to really enjoy the stuff, has a great mix in the band. Hopefully I can see him this year.

Edit: as an aside, should we start a prog superthread? Loads of bands to discuss, both old and new, might be easier to keep it all in one thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

spiralism wrote: »
    In fairness, its their choice if they want to take a step back and if wilson wants to do his thing. They've put out plenty of music and toured a fair bit. It's not like Tool and their general **** treatment of fans where they leave them in the dark for 5 plus years without giving a damn.

What, if anything, do Tool owe you or anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Any reason why he will not do a solo gig here or is it down to the promoters ?

I assume it's for financial reasons. I know PT pretty much sold out, but you might not get the same crowd for his solo shows, plus more band members/gear to transport
    rednik wrote: »
    Any reason why he will not do a solo gig here or is it down to the promoters ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Best song on the new album I feel.

The album sounds gorgeous. Never heard such a lush sounding record before, so full of live, natural instrumentation. Makes a refreshing change from all the cut and paste Pro Tools centred stuff.

Also Alan Parsons FTW!

• Advertisement

Whole album is top class, but yeah I'd pick The Holy Drinker as a favourite as well.

Probably my favourite track as well. Just sticks with me the most. But there's s many great moments throughout (Watchmaker mid-section is maginificent!).

I love Theo Travis' playing on the album. It really does add so so much. Prog really is one of the only musical styles where the phrase 'flute solo' has any meaning :P

Also, great username Lightbulb ;)

He's touring the UK at the moment. No Irish dates.

Unfortunately, feckin Germany always gets multiple Steven Wilson/PT concerts along with Netherlands and that side of Europe. Its where he's most popular I suppose.

Gavin Harrison is over in Germany at the moment playing small venues with 05Ric. Finding those albums really intriguing, although the singing is an acquired taste. Musically though, it's genius.

That's class stuff, Gav is such an accomplished drummer.

I was at the London show on Monday (Royal Festival Hall), but I'm probably not the best person to report back on it, since I don't know Steven's music all that well! There's a comprehensive review here. I wasn't expecting as much overt "prog" influence, in the new songs as well as the old. At one point in Luminol there's a Mellotron flute part that sounds like it was lifted directly from Heart of the Sunrise by Yes. Loads of more subtle King Crimson & Genesis flavours, as well as a little Hawkwind. :cool:

As for the musicians ... wow. It's basically the same group as on Get All You Deserve, except for guitarist Guthrie Govan. He was quite restrained in his playing, actually, except for specific solos, with Steven egging him on. The guy is so fast, if he wants to be, that it almost becomes a different instrument. (Here he is showing off his new guitar.)

Since I'm a bassist, it's no surprise that I was hoping for big things from Nick Beggs, and I was not disappointed. Also more "prog" in a good way I wasn't expecting - he even looked and dressed a lot like Rick Wakeman while sometimes sounding like Chris Squire (Yes again). Then he brought his Stick out, which has more bottom than Jennifer Lopez, and I thought he was going to blow out the PA at some points. He's a great singer too, doing all the backing vocals, sometimes through a vocal harmonizer. His background is in pop music (Kajagoogoo, Ellis Beggs & Howard), but he can clearly get heavy when it's called for - which it was.

I clearly have a lot to learn about Steven Wilson's music, but I'm going to enjoy learning more. I only remembered, the other day, that I actually met Steven, after a No-Man gig in London back around 1994. (I knew someone who knew Tim Bowness, so we all met at the bar for a drink afterwards.)

— Kingsley Amis

The interplay between the musicians is exquisite. There are some lush arrangements on the album and Steven Wilson just seems to be letting the music emanate and flow out of the various instruments in a very natural way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭RayCon

Ive only listened to "The Raven ....." for a couple of full listens so far ... there's so much to absorb - its superb. Agree with everything thats been said so far - I hear bits of Crimson, Yes, early Genesis - even Opeth (in the rhythm section)- although that could be cross pollination - Opeth influenced by Wilson who in turn gets influenced by them ...

.. would love to see this tour live and would have made the trip to the UK in May had I not already commited to going to Rush in Berlin in June .. I need a lotto win !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

The lack of 'heaviness' where Govan's guitar playing is concerned is explained, largely, by Wilson on a special feature Prog Mag did on the album a month or two ago. Well worth picking up as it's a nice accompaniment to the record!

The Yes reference in Luminol is talked about too. That struck me the first time I threw it on. It really is a throwback record and accomplishes what he wanted to do and then some. The drumming throughout it just so tasty. I can definitely see why he wanted to do this and why he couldn't really have done it inside the 'confines' of PT.

Early contender for album of the year for me.

I just picked up "The Raven ..." today - FLAC download from Burning Shed. (Yes, I paid for it, and was more than happy to.) Almost exactly a gigabyte of 24/96 losslessly-compressed bits. I think it's safe to say that sound quality is quite high on the agenda ..! I had to downgrade to MP3 to get it on my MP3 player, but I didn't skimp there - maximum variable bit rate (Lame VBR 0), which sounds excellent on all but the most exotic gear - and the FLAC files aren't going away.

Now for the non-techie part ... :D

PS: in case anyone was in doubt that Nick Beggs is a righteous nutter, check out the children's book he's written: Dangeroue Potatoes.

— Kingsley Amis

So I finally actually picked up the album the other day, and was able to play it in full. Any spelling mistakes here are due to my jaw hitting off the keypad!

The Holy Drinker is up in the top songs I've ever heard, it is nothing short of stunning. I think its the standout track on the album, and to pick one is nigh on impossible. Every second of it has me hooked.

I don't think any album will top it this year!

So I finally actually picked up the album the other day, and was able to play it in full. Any spelling mistakes here are due to my jaw hitting off the keypad!

The Holy Drinker is up in the top songs I've ever heard, it is nothing short of stunning. I think its the standout track on the album, and to pick one is nigh on impossible. Every second of it has me hooked.

I don't think any album will top it this year!

It is an outstanding release alright. I thouroughly enjoyed it. Glad to see great music being made by Wilson and well received by the public too.

I would love to see him perform his solo stuff over here.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think it's some of Steve's best work.

As far as I remember he said he'd be doing another album with the same band and I really can't wait to see where he goes from here. There's so much creativity and talent in that band that it's ridiculous and it definitely has a sort of fresh energy that is making it stand out from Porcupine Tree a lot

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it's some of Steve's best work.

As far as I remember he said he'd be doing another album with the same band and I really can't wait to see where he goes from here. There's so much creativity and talent in that band that it's ridiculous and it definitely has a sort of fresh energy that is making it stand out from Porcupine Tree a lot

Yeah, the thought of PT came across my mind. I don't mind if he doesn't release music under that moniker if the standard of this album is anything to go by. Changes like it can only be good, keep it fresh. Its all good!

Well, Gavin Harrison is saying "Don't worry, Porcupine Tree will return". :pac:

— Kingsley Amis

That's good news - as long as it isn't wishful thinking on his part. ;)

I'd be very disappointed if PT didn't release another album but I could live with it as long they toured again. I chose the worst possible time to come across them, during the hiatus.

— Kingsley Amis

Ha, that's brilliant. Nice touch that they're not taking themselves too seriously either. :D

More news: Steven's releasing a DVD/Blu-Ray & CD package of videos and music, called Drive Home. A mix of studio and live tracks, including a video for the title track.

Also: more gigs in the UK and Europe in October & November. Full list on the site, but I would recommend either the Royal Albert Hall (20/10), which is an amazing space for a concert, or Colston Hall in Bristol (15/10), which is smaller but has modern acoustincs. (Don't know about the other halls.) :cool:

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭RayCon

bnt wrote: »
    Colston Hall in Bristol (15/10),

6 of us heading over for this ... cant wait. :cool:

Read an interview with Guthrie Govan today, in Guitarist magazine. He let slip that Steven's putting together demos for another album with the same band.

GG seems to be enjoying the work with SW even though it's not the jazz / fusion style with which he has more experience (e.g. The Aristocrats). It's a helluva band, the kind I like: everyone is crucial to the sound, no-one is relegated to "backing". (I know Marco didn't make the last tour, but I think he needs to come back.)

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
Advertisement