Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

bnt wrote: »
    Read an interview with Guthrie Govan today, in Guitarist magazine. He let slip that Steven's putting together demos for another album with the same band.

GG seems to be enjoying the work with SW even though it's not the jazz / fusion style with which he has more experience (e.g. The Aristocrats). It's a helluva band, the kind I like: everyone is crucial to the sound, no-one is relegated to "backing". (I know Marco didn't make the last tour, but I think he needs to come back.)

That is one album I'll be acquiring, for sure. Would love to see a live performance by that line up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

The band has great chemistry together. Raven was one of my favourite albums of the previous year. I also got the chance to see them in Glasgow back in February and it was fantastic!!I'd definitely recommend people take the trip if they can.
    Can't wait to hear material for the new album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭RayCon

While I would love to hear a new Porcupine Tree album sometime ... anything he releases with this band more than fills the void.

Raven was the album of 2013 bar none - and I was lucky enough to see them live last month in Bristol - absolutely outstanding concert (although we had to "settle" for Chad Wackerman behind the drums instead of Marco Minnemann - ha ha ... talk about spoiled for choice).

Luckily enough I'll get to see Minnemann when the Aristocrats play Dublin in Feb :)

RayCon wrote: »
    While I would love to hear a new Porcupine Tree album sometime ... anything he releases with this band more than fills the void.

Raven was the album of 2013 bar none - and I was lucky enough to see them live last month in Bristol - absolutely outstanding concert (although we had to "settle" for Chad Wackerman behind the drums instead of Marco Minnemann - ha ha ... talk about spoiled for choice).

Luckily enough I'll get to see Minnemann when the Aristocrats play Dublin in Feb :)

Woah, I'd obviously missed that announcement. I'll definitely be there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Yowsa - missed that too. They're booked in The Grand Social on 24 Feb, tickets are €19.50 a pop, on sale now. Just got one.

You'll all know Marco and Guthrie from their work with Steven, but bassist Bryan Beller deserves a mention too. Long working association with Mike Keneally, the guitarist on Frank Zappa's last tour who's made about 20 wacky albums in the last 20 years. Both have also toured with the likes of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and Dethklok. (Yes, Dethklok!)

So, basically, The Aristocrats is a band of three equally monstrous musos, who play with music like lions play with their lunch. :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

So, basically, The Aristocrats is a band of three equally monstrous musos, who play with music like lions play with their lunch. :eek:

Nice analogy, I'm gonna go too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Methinks Porcupine Tree are over :(

This from Steven Wilson's website:
    ...The success of The Raven album will be a tough act to follow, and writing a worthy follow up will occupy most of my time over the next 6 months (I plan to record some time next Summer). There won’t be anything in the way of new music from me until then, but there will be some reissues of older music, including some more classic album remixes. Plus there will be a handful of Blackfield shows in February that I will be taking part in, more news on that soon...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

He was never going to release anything with Porcupine Tree until at least after the next solo album, so that announcement means nothing in itself. Wouldn't be surprised all the same if you were right.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭peterobrien100

Met Steve Wilson back in April at The Marillion UK Convention in Wolverhampton !

Lovely guy very approachable spoke to him about lots of stuff including the infamous PT gig in the TBMC !

He confirmed that PT are no more he will not be returning from the horses mouth !

At least his solo stuff is consolation !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Are his solo albums any good? (Sorry for the stoooopid question, but no time to Google right now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,478 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

seachto7 wrote: »
    Are his solo albums any good? (Sorry for the stoooopid question, but no time to Google right now)

The latest, The Raven That Refused To Sing, is prob gonna win album of the year on here. It'll prob walk away with it at the prog awards. It's incredible! You can tell its Steven, but it ain't necessarily an immediate carry-on from PT.

....He confirmed that PT are no more he will not be returning from the horses mouth !...

CRAP :(:(:(:(:(

It hit me the other day that I've had The Raven That Refused To Sing for a full year now, and it's not getting old. At first it was all about Luminol, with the bass-in-your-face and all those accessible prog sounds and hooks. It took me longer to get in to deep tracks like The Holy Drinker and The Watchmaker, but at the moment I'm most impressed by The Pin Drop. The back story makes it incredibly bleak, the kind of horrible situation that I wish was confined to fiction. This is one of those albums that's earned a permanent parking spot in my head. :cool:

Getting in to Steven's work was long overdue for me - my only previous exposure being No-Man tracks such as this:

— Kingsley Amis

Steven's back in the studio, and he's posted some pictures here, Same band as The Raven: Theo isn't in the pictures, but I wouldn't read anything in to that.

— Kingsley Amis

Really hope I can make a show on the next tour. Please god it has to happen!

• Advertisement

What a lineup that is. Some of the live performances of The Raven songs on YouTube are incredible. Would love to see that band perform live in person.

Definitely try and get to see them live at some point, absolutely flawless.

Raven is absolutely brilliant so I can't wait to hear what the new album is like. I have full faith in Steve and the guys to create something equally brilliant this time.

Steven has posted a video update from the studio, and given an album release date of February 2015:

— Kingsley Amis

The final snippet they play at the end there, with the female vocalist, sounds absolutely amazing!

• Advertisement

Steven has posted a video update from the studio, and given an album release date of February 2015:

It's gonna take something very special to even come close to the Raven... but I'd have a lot of faith in Mr. Wilson and that incredible lineup. It's gonna be a good 'un.

Update number 2

Jesus I can't wait for that album, and then hop on a plane an go see them perform it live somewhere

I have every faith (expectation almost!) that this is going to be a superb album. The female vocals are an interesting move and I think could help make this album stand out. The vocalist herself sounds fantastic.

Really looking forward to hearing it.

Also this may interest people here. I downloaded it and it's a beautiful song.

Also this may interest people here. I downloaded it and it's a beautiful song.

Such a nice thing to do. Got it when it came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

Jesus I can't wait for that album, and then hop on a plane an go see them perform it live somewhere

Yeah, little to no chance of even one Irish date I would wager.

Minjor wrote: »
    Yeah, little to no chance of even one Irish date I would wager.

I wouldn't hold my breath ... easier to accept the fact and be ready to pounce on some UK tickets when the tour in announced.

Last year a bunch of us caught the Raven Tour in Bristol's Colston Hall (nice venue). Tickets were £25 (approx €30) , flights were €37 and a hotel was €40 for a double room (€20 PP) ... all in the trip cost €87 ... some gigs in Dublin cost more than that !!

Just had this link pop up in Facebook: http://www.portalesquizofrenia.com/steven-wilson-revivira-porcupine-tree-partir-de-2016/2014/11/

The translation of the article (according to Google Translate) is as follows...
    It's the news we wanted to give a few days ago , surely the story of the year and hopes up to thousands of fans of the band Porcupine Tree in the near future . As we learned in ' Portal Schizophrenia, Progressive Rock in Spanish ' , Steven Wilson revived his group Porcupine Tree from 2016. We have all the details below.

No doubt it was one of the most anticipated in the vicinity of the progressive rock international returns. And we've been fortunate enough to know this back exclusively and so we offer you the news first. Steven Wilson will focus the remainder of 2014 to close the recording of his fourth solo album and full year 2015 promotion, with a tour that boasts mammoth after the success of his last international tour.

But to our knowledge, as of 2016, without specifying exact date, including being able to delay the return to 2017, plans to rescue his longtime band, which has given more hits: Porcupine Tree. Since the London decided to give priority to his solo career, leaving the group parked until further notice, its success has been huge. He edited 'Insurgentes' in 2008 and finished his time at the Porcupine extolled and highly acclaimed album by critics and audiences 'The Incident' (2009).

After we saw how he took form with 'Grace for Drowning' in 2011 and reached the zenith of his career with the unbridled success of 'The Raven That Refused to Sing (and other stories)' in 2013, resulting in an international tour full wins. Now preparing his fourth solo album, currently untitled, and will surely be a reflection of his prime as a professional musician, composer and producer.

But luckily for the thousands of fans of Porcupine Tree, who was asked in one and each one of his concerts, rescue his old band, the biggest I had despite also working with projects like No-Man and Blackfield, for not to mention his partnership with Mikael Akerfeldt on Storm Corrosion.

We have to tell you how we met the news to give credibility to this world first and explain all the details. For starters, we do not want at any time medals hang us: We have been fortunate and privileged, not the success or brilliance, access to this news thanks to a reader who blew the whistle, as they say. Eduardo (we will not give further details for reasons of privacy), from Frankfurt, gave the track of the news, and recently we have confirm to compare this figure the return to a source environment Porcupine Tree and direct relationship with the band. "I talked to xxx ... me this week revealed that Wilson had said he wanted to get Porcupine Tree in a couple of years, by 2016," and Eduardo told us the news, but we have omitted the direct source. To us it qualified us: "Maybe, we'll see ..." but confirming the intention of Wilson, which affected him directly. You may soon desvelemos identity.

We realize that not expressly cite the source could undermine the credibility of the news, but of course we have to safeguard the identity of it by professional issues. That source, indisputably credible data revealed both Eduardo and us, leading to what will be one of the best news that international progressive rock can be found in the near future, perhaps comparable to the return of Camel, King Crimson or some such. We can only confirm that it is not a "friend of a friend" or "brother's cousin" but someone very close to Wilson in his career.

The Return

It is true that we will have to wait quite until 2016-2017, but while it will not be long for frustration, because it's time to enjoy the new Wilson's solo work, which will arrive in 2015. During this time, from 2009 to album 'the Incident' and the tour, which came to 2010, there have been two speeds by band members. Wilson said all we have: 2 more solo albums, several successful projects and pouring.

Meanwhile, the other major member of Porcupine Tree has shining examples has undoubtedly been the drummer Gavin Harrison, who has had the privilege unparalleled part of the return of King Crimson, in an operation scrappage Robert Fripp which is liked by everyone. The battery of London has done nothing but win since, being recognized as one of the best at his instrument worldwide. He has also been in a project with guitarist Ric 05 and SBI group Jim Matheos and Kevin Moore, among other collaborations.

The other side have the Richard Barbieri and Colin Edwin. The first keyboards has rendered a pretty weak draft with Steve Hogarth of Marillion, who had no success and even assumed cancel tour to promote an album they released, 'Not The Weapon But The Hand' (2012). Meanwhile, the bear attacked solo and Wilson, but without any effect, with 2 discs in particular: 'Third Vessel' (2009) and 'PVZ' (2012). He was also shipped in a very discreet, Metallic Taste of Blood project, and has collaborated with American guitarist Jon Durant.

It was clear that unless and Harrison Wilson, Porcupine Tree members were thrilled with this return. There was never any hard feelings, at least declared, so it will be a triumphant return and exciting.

Wilson was not tired of her baby

It seemed for a while that this news never come, and that Wilson was tired of being part of a group, even if the clear leader. That speculation grew stronger seeing his continued and growing success alone since 2008 started that way, but ultimately never forgot the band that made him stay in the first division of international rock.

That hand that appeared on top of the cover of their latest album to date, 'The Incident' was prescient with the passage of time: the hand was a tall, marked a stop, a stop on the way now resume, between 7 and 8 years later.

In all this time of waiting, Wilson has always been asked in interviews about when this would come back to the 'beast'. But the more he was sincere in statements of 2013, in which he said about Porcupine: "I have no time in my life for that ... maybe within 1 or 5 years ... or 10 ...". He explained that after the publication, in 2012, edited direct 'Octane Twisted', was "more complicated the issue Porcupine Tree, since it can not exist without my stimulates since I'm the main songwriter of the band."

But he also warned: "This does not mean in any way that the band is broken or something. There is always the possibility of meeting within 1 to 5 years ... or 10. I really can not say. There are no plans at the moment ". It seems that the time has come ... in 2 or 3 years.

We will keep you informed!

^ ... sounds like clutching at straws to me.

• Advertisement

^ ... sounds like clutching at straws to me.

Aye, not going to get too excited about it.

Honestly, once Steve keeps making music I'll be following it. I'd love to see Porcupine Tree come back, but his solo stuff is just as good.

"Hey guys,
    There are some rumours going around that after the next SW record, PT will make a comeback. This is just a reminder to not believe everything that you read unless it's posted by SW himself. As far as that goes nothing is ever posted on this page unless posted by/confirmed by/announced by SW himself.
    I have confirmed this rumour to be false.
    I know it's not what a lot of people want to hear but it is what it is."

From the Steven Wilson Street Team.

Apparently this denial was confirmed by Steven Wilson himself this morning.

Curses....Foiled again!!!

Album finished, titled "Hands. Cannot. Erase." Release in February. Tour has been announced... but the site is down at the moment :p

Link for whenever it gets back up: http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/hand-cannot-erase-uk-european-2015-tour-dates/

No Irish dates unsurprisingly.

This link works actually: http://www.kscopemusic.com/2014/11/19/steven-wilson-announces-new-album-details-tour/

Yeah nothing for Ireland, wasn't expecting any though

Manchester on a Saturday perhaps!

Mushy wrote: »
    Manchester on a Saturday perhaps!

Yip ... that's what 6 of us are looking at .... although I'd prefer the Edinburgh venue - it looks absolutely awesomely small ... I'd say it will sell out in seconds.

http://www.thequeenshall.net/tour/

I'm thinking Edinburgh too - just because I like the city and am looking for an excuse to go back. They finally got their Tram running, too. The Queen's Hall really is tiny, all right.

PS: album title is “Hand. Cannot. Erase.” - just the one hand. :p

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement

Don't seem to see any prices for the dates yet. Would love to see him again but so broke lately

Somnus wrote: »
    Don't seem to see any prices for the dates yet. Would love to see him again but so broke lately

Price Range seems to be £25 - £35 GBP's

http://www.gigsandtours.com/tour/steven-wilson/

Price Range seems to be £25 - £35 GBP's

http://www.gigsandtours.com/tour/steven-wilson/

Haha, you know I'm pretty sure I tried clicking those links earlier.... Obviously not with it at the time :P

It's Friday, 9AM, and 2/3 of the UK gigs are on sale: Cambridge, Cardiff, Manchester, East London. Only some seats e.g. Circle only in Manchester, no floor seats there or Cardiff.
    Edinburgh and Wolverhampton not on sale yet, for some reason.

edit: Edinburgh tickets are on sale at the Queen's Hall website: here - I have one in the south side gallery.

Wolverhampton: on sale here.

A bit shambolic, to have venues listed on the 3rd-party site that Steven's own website points at, just to vanish from the site the minute the tickets actually go on sale ..!

— Kingsley Amis

Anyone know why the £35 tickets for the Manchester gig aren't available to buy online?

What's the difference between them and the £25 ones?

Minjor wrote: »
    Anyone know why the £35 tickets for the Manchester gig aren't available to buy online?

What's the difference between them and the £25 ones?
    It's the section: floor seats will be closer to the stage and thus more expensive - and they're not on that tickets site. So I checked the Bridgewater Hall site, and sure enough, they're on sale there. Some £32.50 seats left on the side stalls.

In short, don't trust what it says on gigsandtours.com ... :mad:

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement

6 of us managed to get pretty sweet Center Circle seats for the Manchester show.

Agree the sale was a little all over the shop ... some venues going on sale at 9am , others at 10am.

Our preference was Edinburgh ... but it was a 10am sale start , so the dilemma was wait til 10am and see if we managed to get some (capacity was only 900) but in doing so, miss the opportunity to get our 2nd preference venue, Manchester, secured at 9am ...

We erred on the side of caution and went with the 9am Manchester tickets - got good seats , so not complaining but ....

I logged onto Ticketmaster @ 9.45 and Edinburgh tickets were on sale. I could have had my pick of pretty much anywhere in the venue. :(

Mate sorted a Manchester ticket for me. Very excited for it now, must book the travel now!

Man utd playing a home match on weekend of this gig, so if its not switched to Sunday flights will be busy. Hopefully itll be a saturday morning job, get cheaper flights all round.

Mushy wrote: »
    Man utd playing a home match on weekend of this gig, so if its not switched to Sunday flights will be busy. Hopefully itll be a saturday morning job, get cheaper flights all round.

Any hints or tips on decent priced hotels in Manchester ?

Any hints or tips on decent priced hotels in Manchester ?

I honestly woukdnt know of any, I just hsve a lot of time on my hands so looking into flights. Id just be staying travelodge if the flight home isnt first one next morning. Do know one friend is staying in some hotel but hasnt booked. Venue seems central anyway so will be easy to get a spot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement