Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Probably my favourite track as well. Just sticks with me the most. But there's s many great moments throughout (Watchmaker mid-section is maginificent!).

I love Theo Travis' playing on the album. It really does add so so much. Prog really is one of the only musical styles where the phrase 'flute solo' has any meaning :P

Also, great username Lightbulb ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

He's touring the UK at the moment. No Irish dates.

Unfortunately, feckin Germany always gets multiple Steven Wilson/PT concerts along with Netherlands and that side of Europe. Its where he's most popular I suppose.

Gavin Harrison is over in Germany at the moment playing small venues with 05Ric. Finding those albums really intriguing, although the singing is an acquired taste. Musically though, it's genius.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

That's class stuff, Gav is such an accomplished drummer.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was at the London show on Monday (Royal Festival Hall), but I'm probably not the best person to report back on it, since I don't know Steven's music all that well! There's a comprehensive review here. I wasn't expecting as much overt "prog" influence, in the new songs as well as the old. At one point in Luminol there's a Mellotron flute part that sounds like it was lifted directly from Heart of the Sunrise by Yes. Loads of more subtle King Crimson & Genesis flavours, as well as a little Hawkwind. :cool:

As for the musicians ... wow. It's basically the same group as on Get All You Deserve, except for guitarist Guthrie Govan. He was quite restrained in his playing, actually, except for specific solos, with Steven egging him on. The guy is so fast, if he wants to be, that it almost becomes a different instrument. (Here he is showing off his new guitar.)

Since I'm a bassist, it's no surprise that I was hoping for big things from Nick Beggs, and I was not disappointed. Also more "prog" in a good way I wasn't expecting - he even looked and dressed a lot like Rick Wakeman while sometimes sounding like Chris Squire (Yes again). Then he brought his Stick out, which has more bottom than Jennifer Lopez, and I thought he was going to blow out the PA at some points. He's a great singer too, doing all the backing vocals, sometimes through a vocal harmonizer. His background is in pop music (Kajagoogoo, Ellis Beggs & Howard), but he can clearly get heavy when it's called for - which it was.

I clearly have a lot to learn about Steven Wilson's music, but I'm going to enjoy learning more. I only remembered, the other day, that I actually met Steven, after a No-Man gig in London back around 1994. (I knew someone who knew Tim Bowness, so we all met at the bar for a drink afterwards.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

The interplay between the musicians is exquisite. There are some lush arrangements on the album and Steven Wilson just seems to be letting the music emanate and flow out of the various instruments in a very natural way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

Ive only listened to "The Raven ....." for a couple of full listens so far ... there's so much to absorb - its superb. Agree with everything thats been said so far - I hear bits of Crimson, Yes, early Genesis - even Opeth (in the rhythm section)- although that could be cross pollination - Opeth influenced by Wilson who in turn gets influenced by them ...

.. would love to see this tour live and would have made the trip to the UK in May had I not already commited to going to Rush in Berlin in June .. I need a lotto win !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

The lack of 'heaviness' where Govan's guitar playing is concerned is explained, largely, by Wilson on a special feature Prog Mag did on the album a month or two ago. Well worth picking up as it's a nice accompaniment to the record!

The Yes reference in Luminol is talked about too. That struck me the first time I threw it on. It really is a throwback record and accomplishes what he wanted to do and then some. The drumming throughout it just so tasty. I can definitely see why he wanted to do this and why he couldn't really have done it inside the 'confines' of PT.

Early contender for album of the year for me.

I just picked up "The Raven ..." today - FLAC download from Burning Shed. (Yes, I paid for it, and was more than happy to.) Almost exactly a gigabyte of 24/96 losslessly-compressed bits. I think it's safe to say that sound quality is quite high on the agenda ..! I had to downgrade to MP3 to get it on my MP3 player, but I didn't skimp there - maximum variable bit rate (Lame VBR 0), which sounds excellent on all but the most exotic gear - and the FLAC files aren't going away.

Now for the non-techie part ... :D

PS: in case anyone was in doubt that Nick Beggs is a righteous nutter, check out the children's book he's written: Dangeroue Potatoes.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

So I finally actually picked up the album the other day, and was able to play it in full. Any spelling mistakes here are due to my jaw hitting off the keypad!

The Holy Drinker is up in the top songs I've ever heard, it is nothing short of stunning. I think its the standout track on the album, and to pick one is nigh on impossible. Every second of it has me hooked.

I don't think any album will top it this year!

Mushy wrote: »
    So I finally actually picked up the album the other day, and was able to play it in full. Any spelling mistakes here are due to my jaw hitting off the keypad!

The Holy Drinker is up in the top songs I've ever heard, it is nothing short of stunning. I think its the standout track on the album, and to pick one is nigh on impossible. Every second of it has me hooked.

I don't think any album will top it this year!

It is an outstanding release alright. I thouroughly enjoyed it. Glad to see great music being made by Wilson and well received by the public too.

I would love to see him perform his solo stuff over here.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think it's some of Steve's best work.

As far as I remember he said he'd be doing another album with the same band and I really can't wait to see where he goes from here. There's so much creativity and talent in that band that it's ridiculous and it definitely has a sort of fresh energy that is making it stand out from Porcupine Tree a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it's some of Steve's best work.

As far as I remember he said he'd be doing another album with the same band and I really can't wait to see where he goes from here. There's so much creativity and talent in that band that it's ridiculous and it definitely has a sort of fresh energy that is making it stand out from Porcupine Tree a lot

Yeah, the thought of PT came across my mind. I don't mind if he doesn't release music under that moniker if the standard of this album is anything to go by. Changes like it can only be good, keep it fresh. Its all good!

Well, Gavin Harrison is saying "Don't worry, Porcupine Tree will return". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

That's good news - as long as it isn't wishful thinking on his part. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I'd be very disappointed if PT didn't release another album but I could live with it as long they toured again. I chose the worst possible time to come across them, during the hiatus.

Ha, that's brilliant. Nice touch that they're not taking themselves too seriously either. :D

More news: Steven's releasing a DVD/Blu-Ray & CD package of videos and music, called Drive Home. A mix of studio and live tracks, including a video for the title track.

Also: more gigs in the UK and Europe in October & November. Full list on the site, but I would recommend either the Royal Albert Hall (20/10), which is an amazing space for a concert, or Colston Hall in Bristol (15/10), which is smaller but has modern acoustincs. (Don't know about the other halls.) :cool:

bnt wrote: »
    Colston Hall in Bristol (15/10),

6 of us heading over for this ... cant wait. :cool:

Read an interview with Guthrie Govan today, in Guitarist magazine. He let slip that Steven's putting together demos for another album with the same band.

GG seems to be enjoying the work with SW even though it's not the jazz / fusion style with which he has more experience (e.g. The Aristocrats). It's a helluva band, the kind I like: everyone is crucial to the sound, no-one is relegated to "backing". (I know Marco didn't make the last tour, but I think he needs to come back.)

• Advertisement

Read an interview with Guthrie Govan today, in Guitarist magazine. He let slip that Steven's putting together demos for another album with the same band.

GG seems to be enjoying the work with SW even though it's not the jazz / fusion style with which he has more experience (e.g. The Aristocrats). It's a helluva band, the kind I like: everyone is crucial to the sound, no-one is relegated to "backing". (I know Marco didn't make the last tour, but I think he needs to come back.)

That is one album I'll be acquiring, for sure. Would love to see a live performance by that line up too.

The band has great chemistry together. Raven was one of my favourite albums of the previous year. I also got the chance to see them in Glasgow back in February and it was fantastic!!I'd definitely recommend people take the trip if they can.
    Can't wait to hear material for the new album

While I would love to hear a new Porcupine Tree album sometime ... anything he releases with this band more than fills the void.

Raven was the album of 2013 bar none - and I was lucky enough to see them live last month in Bristol - absolutely outstanding concert (although we had to "settle" for Chad Wackerman behind the drums instead of Marco Minnemann - ha ha ... talk about spoiled for choice).

Luckily enough I'll get to see Minnemann when the Aristocrats play Dublin in Feb :)

RayCon wrote: »
    While I would love to hear a new Porcupine Tree album sometime ... anything he releases with this band more than fills the void.

Raven was the album of 2013 bar none - and I was lucky enough to see them live last month in Bristol - absolutely outstanding concert (although we had to "settle" for Chad Wackerman behind the drums instead of Marco Minnemann - ha ha ... talk about spoiled for choice).

Luckily enough I'll get to see Minnemann when the Aristocrats play Dublin in Feb :)

Woah, I'd obviously missed that announcement. I'll definitely be there!

RayCon wrote: »
    Yowsa - missed that too. They're booked in The Grand Social on 24 Feb, tickets are €19.50 a pop, on sale now. Just got one.

You'll all know Marco and Guthrie from their work with Steven, but bassist Bryan Beller deserves a mention too. Long working association with Mike Keneally, the guitarist on Frank Zappa's last tour who's made about 20 wacky albums in the last 20 years. Both have also toured with the likes of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and Dethklok. (Yes, Dethklok!)

So, basically, The Aristocrats is a band of three equally monstrous musos, who play with music like lions play with their lunch. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

So, basically, The Aristocrats is a band of three equally monstrous musos, who play with music like lions play with their lunch. :eek:

Nice analogy, I'm gonna go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Methinks Porcupine Tree are over :(

This from Steven Wilson's website:
    ...The success of The Raven album will be a tough act to follow, and writing a worthy follow up will occupy most of my time over the next 6 months (I plan to record some time next Summer). There won’t be anything in the way of new music from me until then, but there will be some reissues of older music, including some more classic album remixes. Plus there will be a handful of Blackfield shows in February that I will be taking part in, more news on that soon...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

He was never going to release anything with Porcupine Tree until at least after the next solo album, so that announcement means nothing in itself. Wouldn't be surprised all the same if you were right.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭peterobrien100

Met Steve Wilson back in April at The Marillion UK Convention in Wolverhampton !

Lovely guy very approachable spoke to him about lots of stuff including the infamous PT gig in the TBMC !

He confirmed that PT are no more he will not be returning from the horses mouth !

At least his solo stuff is consolation !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Are his solo albums any good? (Sorry for the stoooopid question, but no time to Google right now)

Advertisement