Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Medical intern offers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 noodlepeg

kopci wrote: »
    Haven't received my reg number yet either. I tried calling (same number that Gradmed provided) on Friday just to make sure there were no problems but when you follow the instructions to reach the 'new registrations' section, it just sends you on a loop back to the original message and encourages you to see the website instead. I eventually gave up and hung up. I'll give it another few days. I'm assuming we don't need to be registered for induction, just for actual work starting July 9th.

If you want to find out, just call the main number and ask to be put through to someone in registration. If they cant tell you immediately, they will email you asap with your number. When I spoke to them (about 10 days ago) they still had hundreds to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭foreverandever

So has anyone heard any news today?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭brumindub

So has anyone heard any news today?

Nope. Still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kopci

brumindub wrote: »
    Nope. Still waiting.

Came on here to see if anyone else has heard yet, so thanks for posting forever and brumindub. Getting antsy. Brumindub, I think it was you who had said we might hear by 5pm today. Were you speculating or did you hear somehow that today is the deadline? The IMO email said that they had asked the HSE to send us a communication giving us more information about when to expect new offers, but I never did get anything.

If anyone hears, please post asap...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭brumindub

brumindub wrote: »
    Nope. Still waiting.

Came on here to see if anyone else has heard yet, so thanks for posting forever and brumindub. Getting antsy. Brumindub, I think it was you who had said we might hear by 5pm today. Were you speculating or did you hear somehow that today is the deadline? The IMO email said that they had asked the HSE to send us a communication giving us more information about when to expect new offers, but I never did get anything.

If anyone hears, please post asap...
    I got a text message from hse on 15th saying it is hoped revised offers shall be issued by 19/6 @ 5pm. Should this date change, we will contact you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I just got a txt saying that they will be issued BY 5pm today. Why they needed to emphasise the "by" I don't know. They have been messing with my head all day. Feckers.

Just got the email there.

Got the new post and I've moved up in my preference list. Ecstatic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Got the new post and I've moved up in my preference list. Ecstatic!!!

Hopefully they have not f---ed up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

Hope everyone is happy with their offers.
    My post now actually resembles my preferences :)

• Advertisement

Did everyone get the right offers? I've heard some rumblings already...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 actin

Rumblings as in people complaining or talk of another error?

Everyone I've heard of either retained their previous offer or received an offer further up their list.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

What you heard exactly?

Heard someone who was high up on their list(not sure of the number but within top 10) has now got a job that wasn't even on their 25 list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TRG2012

Any one have any info on the situation where someone declines an offer? Specifically on whether it gets offered to the next highest ranked person (who will presumably already have accepted the first offer they got of a lower preference) or just offered to the next person on the reserve list?

TRG2012 wrote: »
    Any one have any info on the situation where someone declines an offer? Specifically on whether it gets offered to the next highest ranked person (who will presumably already have accepted the first offer they got of a lower preference) or just offered to the next person on the reserve list?

It definitely gets offered to the next person on the reserve list. Even though this way may seem a bit unfair, there's no way the other method could be feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Rick Dagless

Hey guys, have the 2nd round Intern offers come out yet? I'm hoping some of my non EU friends will be able to get jobs.

The HSE should have told everyone at the start of the year that there were not gonna be enough places so people could make alternative applications and arrangements in time. I know a few people now who are stuck with huge loans to pay back and no job.

Irish medical schools have more Graduate and International students studying over here than ever. They bring huge funding to the country. The HSE has had 4 years notice to make some more intern spots available, especially with the NCHD shortage. It's almost criminal that some of the best graduates in this country won't be able to complete their training here.

The intern shortage may only affect non EU this year but med student numbers are always growing and EU nad Irish students will be next affected in the coming years. I can see this having serious complications on GEM programmes, international students and future funding...

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Hey guys, have the 2nd round Intern offers come out yet? I'm hoping some of my non EU friends will be able to get jobs.

The HSE should have told everyone at the start of the year that there were not gonna be enough places so people could make alternative applications and arrangements in time. I know a few people now who are stuck with huge loans to pay back and no job.

Irish medical schools have more Graduate and International students studying over here than ever. They bring huge funding to the country. The HSE has had 4 years notice to make some more intern spots available, especially with the NCHD shortage. It's almost criminal that some of the best graduates in this country won't be able to complete their training here.

The intern shortage may only affect non EU this year but med student numbers are always growing and EU nad Irish students will be next affected in the coming years. I can see this having serious complications on GEM programmes, international students and future funding...

I hate to break it to you but the HSE does not give a fuçk. About anything but especially not about doctors. As long as there are enough dept-ridden peons to staff Our Lady of Ballygobackways they dont care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

ThatDrGuy wrote: »
    I hate to break it to you but the HSE does not give a fuçk. About anything but especially not about doctors. As long as there are enough dept-ridden peons to staff Our Lady of Ballygobackways they dont care.

Qft. The HSE like the NHS is a conduit to supply contracts to the attached and related private sector companies for cleaning, transport, construction, etc., . The last priority is provision of healthcare, which is a byproduct of the service. This is why there is never forward planning with hospitals, clinics or staff: none of these are a priority.

No-one should tear their hair out asking why this or why that; the HSE don't plan for healthcare related issues simply because they don't plan for healthcare related issues: it's not part of the mission statement.

Once you accept what it is, the HSE's actions with regard to training supports, staffing, health outcomes, etc., makes perfect sense. The HSE has nothing to do with provision of healthcare, is the only logical conclusion.

the current job shortage has been flagged for a number of years, they have doubled the number of graduates. There are far more mature graduates .
    This creates an oversupply , and pushes down wage demands.
    the same thing happened when the increased physiotherapy placeswere created.

it will only get worse into the future, and you will be lucky to have a job in "our ladys of ballygobackwards."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 TC80

It's no great mystery what's going on. Ramp up the number of graduates, make them older and in much greater debt than ever before based on unrealistic salary expectations. Keep the number of jobs down, drive down terms and conditions. Unis couldn't care less: have more money and students. Everyone's a winner.

This was the inevitable consequence of the expansion of GEM, people should have seen it coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

TC80 wrote: »
    It's no great mystery what's going on. Ramp up the number of graduates, make them older and in much greater debt than ever before based on unrealistic salary expectations. Keep the number of jobs down, drive down terms and conditions. Unis couldn't care less: have more money and students. Everyone's a winner.

This was the inevitable consequence of the expansion of GEM, people should have seen it coming.

You are overthinking it.

The grad entry students are paying up to €50,000 a year in fees. Simple as.
    Don't credit them with thought and planning beyond that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

You are overthinking it.

The grad entry students are paying up to €50,000 a year in fees. Simple as.
    Don't credit them with thought and planning beyond that.

Yeah I'd agee with you. I don't see how they can ever pay it back earning €5.5k/month net on the standard Type A consultant contract (before any further salary cuts).

On the new 100k gross contract (for new CCST holders, Conusltant Level 1 or something), you are never going to pay off 100-150k of college debt when you are limited to earning 4k a month.

Lol at the maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ShadyLane

dissed doc wrote: »
    Yeah I'd agee with you. I don't see how they can ever pay it back earning €5.5k/month net on the standard Type A consultant contract (before any further salary cuts).

On the new 100k gross contract (for new CCST holders, Conusltant Level 1 or something), you are never going to pay off 100-150k of college debt when you are limited to earning 4k a month.

Lol at the maths!

50k per year only applies to non-Irish/EU students. Irish students only pay 10-15k per year.

Most North Americans will return to their home countries, where they'll more than likely earn well over 100k per year. In America, there's loan forgiveness after 10 years if you work in the public sector. So all you have to do is make payments for 10 years (payments are generally income based) and the rest of the debt is forgiven.

Don't assume that graduate entry students didn't think of all this before starting the course!

ShadyLane wrote: »
    50k per year only applies to non-Irish/EU students. Irish students only pay 10-15k per year.

Most North Americans will return to their home countries, where they'll more than likely earn well over 100k per year. In America, there's loan forgiveness after 10 years if you work in the public sector. So all you have to do is make payments for 10 years (payments are generally income based) and the rest of the debt is forgiven.

Don't assume that graduate entry students didn't think of all this before starting the course!
    I presume they were talking about irish graduates who will work in ireland, america has a well established student loan programme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I was talking about their incentives for creating more graduates.

Whether they are EU students paying 14k with an extra 10k from the government, or American students (of whom there are alot) paying 50k, it is plain to see that their motivation for creating more graduates was the money that could be made from medical education.

It should not be misconstrued as an attempt to fix nchd shortages - which remain - as this is a separate and unrelated issue. Most of the new graduates will leave just like the old graduates as the reasons they are leaving continue to fail to be addressed

many grad entry will have loans ( 15-20 k in fees 20 k in living expenses ) most would have loans of 100k.

Assuming a 10 year pay back at 1 k per month that would leave you with 250 per week to live off. ( better off on the dole?)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Traumadoc wrote: »
    many grad entry will have loans ( 15-20 k in fees 20 k in living expenses ) most would have loans of 100k.

Assuming a 10 year pay back at 1 k per month that would leave you with 250 per week to live off. ( better off on the dole?)

I see what u are saying but i have a cousin who has gone the GEM route and honestly,she would rather go to the grave 200k in debt than live comfortably in a job she isnt satisfied with.
    It seems some people have that unquenchable vocation while others want a career.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭j.mcdrmd

Anthony16 wrote: »
    I see what u are saying but i have a cousin who has gone the GEM route and honestly,she would rather go to the grave 200k in debt than live comfortably in a job she isnt satisfied with.
    It seems some people have that unquenchable vocation while others want a career.

Going to the grave owing 200k is a result.

It means that you have robbed 200k out of the system that you can't/won't repay, because you are dead.

Most people are more responsible than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SleepDoc

j.mcdrmd wrote: »
    Going to the grave owing 200k is a result.

It means that you have robbed 200k out of the system that you can't/won't repay, because you are dead.

Most people are more responsible than that.

Yes indeed.

Dying is irresponsible.

Free-loading cadavers.

Advertisement