Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handy thread of quick cooking questions & tips

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Could anyone recommend a quick, simple, spicy tomato sauce that can be frozen please?

I have half a bottle of passata which needs to be used by tomorrow and I don't' want to throw it out, so was hoping to make a tomato sauce which can be frozen into portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Could anyone recommend a quick, simple, spicy tomato sauce that can be frozen please?

I have half a bottle of passata which needs to be used by tomorrow and I don't' want to throw it out, so was hoping to make a tomato sauce which can be frozen into portions.

gently heat a chopped onion & some chunks of chorizo sausage with a sprinkle of dry herbs, you can add some paprika (i prefer the smoked) to add a kick, add your tomato passata and then salt pepper and sugar to taste, leave it cook down and serve with pasta

BBDBB wrote: »
    gently heat a chopped onion & some chunks of chorizo sausage with a sprinkle of dry herbs, you can add some paprika (i prefer the smoked) to add a kick, add your tomato passata and then salt pepper and sugar to taste, leave it cook down and serve with pasta
    Thanks, would the tomato sauce on it's own be nice?

I don't have any chorizo and I was hoping to freeze the sauce as I won't get to use it all tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Why not just freeze the leftover passata ? Take it out when you next need it for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Thanks, would the tomato sauce on it's own be nice?

I don't have any chorizo and I was hoping to freeze the sauce as I won't get to use it all tomorrow.

its very tasty so I suppose it would

as an alternative you could just chop up a stick of pepperami and fry that (though for not as long) which I have done on occasion

• Advertisement

Why not just freeze the leftover passata ? Take it out when you next need it for something.
    Because it has been opened since Saturday so I thought it would need to be cooked before being frozen, am I wrong? It'd be great if it could be frozen without being cooked actually.
    BBDBB wrote: »
    its very tasty so I suppose it would

as an alternative you could just chop up a stick of pepperami and fry that (though for not as long) which I have done on occasion
    Might give this a try so, without the meat and just use it whenever I need it.

Thanks guys :)

Because it has been opened since Saturday so I thought it would need to be cooked before being frozen, am I wrong? It'd be great if it could be frozen without being cooked actually.

Might give this a try so, without the meat and just use it whenever I need it.

Thanks guys :)

I wouldn't put my hand in the fire for it.;) Maybe safest bet is to cook something with it first. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm currently making a recipe that called for cumin seeds, toasted and ground. I didn't grind them enough :(. Should I just serve the meal with the fairly intact cumin seeds, or attempt to sieve them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Faith wrote: »
    I'm currently making a recipe that called for cumin seeds, toasted and ground. I didn't grind them enough :(. Should I just serve the meal with the fairly intact cumin seeds, or attempt to sieve them out?

You should be able to get away with putting them in semi ground. Whats the dish?

It's a lamb tagine. I wasn't paying attention. It tastes fine, but the seeds would get stuck in your teeth a bit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cumin seeds are pretty small and are often served whole in flavoured rice. Should be fine and they shouldn't be too harsh on the palette. As opposed to trying to sieve them out, you could always take the lamb chunks out of the sauce and put the sauce through a blender, but honestly I don't think it'll make that much of a difference.

Yeah, it worked out fine in the end. When I was tasting it, I kept getting seeds stuck in my teeth, but once we were actually eating the whole dish, they weren't noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

To tone down a curry that's WAYYYYY too hot (---->this was genuinely the colour I went when I tasted it earlier :mad:) add some low-fat creme freche and a spoon of chutney. I know people say to add cream or to add coconut milk but the addition of those ingredients interferes with the authenticity of the curry itself. A light creme freche will tone down heat without changing the dish while the sugar cuts through any sharpness from the over-zelaous addition of some spices!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Jambo221 wrote: »
    Not a cooking tip, more of a serving tip, but I've found that this one gets overlooked so often. Heat your plates, I hate eating hot food from cold plates, a hot plate will keep the food hotter for longer, which makes it more enjoyable.

If you don't have room in your oven to heat your plates, pop them in a sink of warm water.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

If you don't have room in your oven to heat your plates, pop them in a sink of warm water.

I also heat up my plates by using them as lids/covers for any pots i'm using, especially if i'm only cooking on the stovetop and not the oven.

If you're cooking rice or pasta drain them over any other plates that need heating and give them a quick dry.

My own tip is freeze leftover wine in ice-trays - then you have cube size chunks of wine to add to sauces, gravies, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Merkin wrote: »
    To tone down a curry that's WAYYYYY too hot (---->this was genuinely the colour I went when I tasted it earlier :mad:) add some low-fat creme freche and a spoon of chutney. I know people say to add cream or to add coconut milk but the addition of those ingredients interferes with the authenticity of the curry itself. A light creme freche will tone down heat without changing the dish while the sugar cuts through any sharpness from the over-zelaous addition of some spices!!

why do you think creme fraiche is more authentic than cream or coconut milk/cream?

Isn't is just slightly soured cream anyway, and coconut milk is the base for lots of currys.

Because it was so much lighter than cream it didn't automatically turn it into some kind of Korma concoction! Also I only ever use coconut milk when cooking Thai dishes

I bought a deep fat fryer recently and it's time to change the oil. What's the best way to dispose of the old oil? I'm not mad about the idea of just pouring it down the drain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I bought a deep fat fryer recently and it's time to change the oil. What's the best way to dispose of the old oil? I'm not mad about the idea of just pouring it down the drain.

Never pour it down the drain! It will just clog up. I used to dispose of small amounts of oil in empty tins, but on a larger scale I would probably put old newspapers in a sturdy bin bag and pour it in there. Or even pour it into an old milk carton or bottle.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I think most civic amenity centres (the artists formerly known as "dumps") have cooking oil disposal facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Stick it in the compost bin.

NO !!!! Not in the drain and not on the compost !!
    I keep the empty bottles of cooking oil and use them to fill back up with used oils.
    Bring to recycle center.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I keep the empty bottles of cooking oil and use them to fill back up with used oils.
    Bring to recycle center.

http://www.aesirl.ie/household-customers/what-goes-in-my-bin/what-goes-in-my-brown-bin

Fats are perfectly acceptable in your brown bin

Bring to recycle center.

Hey you, I was wondering where you'd got to! Glad to see you back!

I don't have a compost bin so that point is moot :). I remember my mum putting it into empty oil cartons alright. I imagine it will be a messy task without a funnel :/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Me too!
    And Mrs Beer has missed your posts in here's what I had for dinner thread.

So, Chat, get your ass in gear start posting dinners again!!:D

I hope your disappearance wasn't a result of any troubles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Welcome back LCG :)

Haha ! Brown bin ? What brown bin ?
    Living in the sticks in south Kerry we have to bring our rubbish to the recycle center in Kenmare, which I love doing by the way !
    But we've always been very conscious about our rubbish disposal. :p

I don't have a compost bin so that point is moot :). I remember my mum putting it into empty oil cartons alright. I imagine it will be a messy task without a funnel :/
    Better buy a funnel for next time, eh! :D
    Thanks.
    Me too!
    And Mrs Beer has missed your posts in here's what I had for dinner thread.

So, Chat, get your ass in gear start posting dinners again!!:D

I hope your disappearance wasn't a result of any troubles.
    Thanks. My disappearance was/is due to moving from Belgium to Ireland last April, which was quite an adventure. We still have half a container load of belongings in storage in Belgium and we are trying hard to find space for it here (not going to happen before extending house considerably) haha. :D

I've made plenty of dinners, but didn't photograph any of it. Plenty of family/friends visitors during the summer months and I'm pooped.;)
    I hope I can find the motivation to get my ass into gear and contribute to the dinner thread soon.
    Welcome back LCG :)

Thanks Dizzyblonde.:)

So lovely to see your little name pop up LCG, have really missed you and your amazing pictures!! xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Regarding warming plates - I just pop them in the microwave for 60 seconds. In the winter, you could also leave them on a radiator when cooking.

When making pancakes, get rid of lumps easily by passing the mixture through the sieve you used at the beginning to sieve the flour. It will leave all the stodgy gunk in the sieve leaving smooth pancake mixture to use.

Advertisement