Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handy thread of quick cooking questions & tips

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Why ? It's certainly not as rich as a fry up.
    Kimia wrote: »
    What's wrong with it? :confused:

I know it's a year and a half ago, but apologies, I didn't see these posts. I was saying this in jest! Sure we all have the bit of spiced beef for breakfast down here in Cork anyway! It reminds me of a time in the States where I witnessed a man next to me in a hotel restaurant ordering a rare "Fillay" for breakfast :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I want to cook a ham to slice for sandwiches tomorrow. It's for a birthday party so I want to keep it simple and safe. Should I just boil it or are there better methods? What about the slow cooker? Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I find cooking it in the slow cooker makes it less likely to fall apart than when I boil it, so it's easier to slice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Great thank you, my big pot is full of stew so it'll save me cleaning it out! If you have any general tips on slow cooking it - liquid/times etc - please post!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Check out the Slow Cooker Recipe thread that is linked in the 'Useful threads' sticky. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Omelettes - cook the egg mixture separately from the other ingredients, or cook them all together as one? I typically use peppers, onion and rashers, garnished with cheese.

My omelettes have a terrible habit of becoming scromelettes, a messy hybrid of scrambled eggs and omelette.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Omelettes - cook the egg mixture separately from the other ingredients, or cook them all together as one? I typically use peppers, onion and rashers, garnished with cheese.

My omelettes have a terrible habit of becoming scromelettes, a messy hybrid of scrambled eggs and omelette.

I'd cook them separately, then pour the eggs in. I prefer the texture of soften onion, peppers, crisped bacon, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

just discovered that adding cornflour to beaten eggs makes the fluffiest scrummiest omellettes ever!

You can either add the dry cornflour to the beaten eggs, or mix cornflour with a little cold water, and then add to the eggs.

For two eggs I use teaspoon, and half a teaspoon per extra egg. Really fluffs them up.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Tom Dunne wrote: »

You really need a nonstick pan.

My method is not really an omlette, probably more of a frittata maybe, but is lovely and presentation wise, stays in one piece. I fry up the ingredients - say, chorizo, potato pieces, peppers, onion, rashers or whatever then turn heat down, pour in beaten egg, sprinkle with cheese and slowly cook. I dont flip - I put the frying pan under the grill for a few minutes to cook the top - keep an eye the handle is not directly under the grill though!

To serve, loosen it from the edges, shake gently to loosen from base of pan and slide onto a plate.

I'm going to try the cornflour next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

livinsane wrote: »
    Great thank you, my big pot is full of stew so it'll save me cleaning it out! If you have any general tips on slow cooking it - liquid/times etc - please post!

I usually steep ham overnight, and then put it in slow cooker without liquid, as it makes has its own juices that it cook in, also If you don't want the hassle of cleaning afterwards, the slow cooker liners are great, the lot comes out and you can just cut a corner of the bag to drain the juices after, I do this with leg of lamb and beef joints also, times vary according to size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

My son loves garlic bread baguettes but we dont always have them in or have the time to cook them.

A good quick substitute is toast with butter and some garlic granules. Sounds simple but it just never occured to me before. Saves time and money.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

waffleman wrote: »
    My son loves garlic bread baguettes but we dont always have them in or have the time to cook them.

A good quick substitute is toast with butter and some garlic granules. Sounds simple but it just never occured to me before. Saves time and money.

Another option is to just slice a clove of garlic in half and rub the toasted bread with it. Never ceases to amaze me how much flavor that transfers!

Hi, I’ve a topside ham with no instructions on the label. What’s the boiling time per kg on that cut off ham, and do I put it in cold water to start? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not sure if this is the place to put it, but have been watching a lot of this guys videos of late. He's a bit OTT at times but I love the detail/obsession.

Advertisement