Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Evil200km - 9th of June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Running late so opted to intercept the route at Lambs Cross. Instead of waiting I headed towards Johnnie Foxes slowly but on the climb out of Stepaside I could see tyre tracks in between the water run off that crossed the road. Kept going at a steady pace just in case I was ahead of the group but then the head wind from J.F to Curagh was cruel. Still seeing those tracks on the road I knew now that the group was in front but chasing was impossible with that wind. Rode as far as the viewing point and decided to roll back home.
    God help them out there today,that wind will just make a tough day even tougher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Was out on a club spin in the mountains this morning, stiff breeze out there, I don't envy the lads doing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Top of the wicklow gap atm!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Inquitus wrote: »
    Doesn't look too bad here. Keep going!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Inquitus wrote: »
    Doesn't look too bad here. Keep going!

Fair play. Bailed at Laragh after 100k of horrible climbs, off-road sections, more hills and the odd exploding seat-post. 150k on the clock.

We dropped a few people on the way. Should we send out search parties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

13 brave souls started it.. and I think only 2 are going to complete it.

On the first 115k or so we had, 3 crashes, 2 near misses, ankle deep water, almost off road sections, brutal climbing, 2 punctures (I am surpised we didn't have more) and a cracked seatpost.

Unfortunately my seatpost cracked on the way down from Shay Elliot, I had to do the whole descend standing (not fun at all) and I had to get a broomwagon home :(

Well done to everyone who came out, I certainly enjoyed the first bit, too bad (or not...) that I missed the second part.

208277.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭g0g

OUCH! (not a photo of wounds don't worry!) What a cycle!

Enjoyed meeting some new faces, the "interesting" route and thanks to Daragh for the company back from Laragh!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Bailed out at 50k.+. 1200m. Not proud!
    Treacherous conditions and the constant up down up down had me bollixed.
    Pulled in to chat with a clubmate marshalling the Chrisy McManus race out on the course (Roundwood) U12 / 14's were going around. Great to see.

Yeah, with wheel spin going up some climbs and wheels skidding going down some...........no thanks. We flew through a "Swimming Pool" at one stage. Nice dip in the road.
    Great turn out though.
    Loved the headwind coming home, as usual.

4 1/2 hour spin all the same.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think all of those who failed to finish should do the WW200 course tomorrow as a penance:D

Beasty wrote: »
    I think all of those who failed to finish should do the WW200 course tomorrow as a penance:D

Only if everyone doing the W200 does the Evil200 on Monday.

Of course then we will get done for mass murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

me and inquitus took wrong turn, found lenny, i got fed up of the floods in roads, and took right for roundwood and then went to laragh from their, then did a cruagh road at end of my ride as punishment, about 145km for me with the ride to start, not as much climbing, but to be honest the climb to sally gap in wind was like a proper 10km climb.

ENergy was ok, but jesus legs turned the pedals at end but not too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Ended up 207km for me, door to door. I threw in a summit of Howth at the end to make up for cutting out a chunk of the spin. It's a very tough route. Tired now. Nice to meet some new faces.

^^^^
    Hardcore. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

How many finishers from starters? Think someone mentioned they are doing WW200 tomorrow?

Depends how the knee holds up (feeling a bit weird now) I ll probably be doing the W200.

Oh btw Lenny sent me a text 40mins ago, he was in Laragh for the second time.. fair play to him, he is a mad dog.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Depends how the knee holds up (feeling a bit weird now) I ll probably be doing the W200.

Oh btw Lenny sent me a text 40mins ago, he was in Laragh for the second time.. fair play to him, he is a mad dog.
    You only need one good knee for the WW200 (well I did anyway) - the words kettle and pot come to mind when you accuse Lenny of being a mad dog though...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@Astra: time to roll back the weight weenieism a bit? :)

Well done all who attempted it. I wimped out due to being a wimp.

Never! Actually it was my 3y old planetx seatpost, so I can forgive that it broke, have done thousands of kms on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Oh, meant to say earlier, thank you very much to AstraMonti for organising. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Ouch.

Sent from my iBath

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »
    Ouch.

Sent from my iBath

Yer a hard man. Good luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I was running late this morning (inevitable), nearly had a "bottle of olive oil all over the cat" incident which wouldn't have helped, reckoned that I missed the group at Lamb's Cross (highly likely, given the rubbish nature of the week I've had so far), so decided to ride along the route in the hope of catching them. Wasn't sure of the exact route though, having opted to load it onto my Garmin and rely on that.

Selected the route on my Garmin, Garmin gave me its version of the middle finger. Swore at it, resembling angry deranged man on a bike once again. I wasn't sure which right turn the group would take to Johnny Foxes so I bizarrely decided they'd have taken the furthest away one and rode to the one up from Kilternan. I am my own worst enemy. Got as far as Johnny Foxes but no sign of group, now didn't know whether they were in front of me or behind me or on a different road. *sigh* Rolled on and spotted wet tyre tracks on the road. Yayy! Put my ear to the ground, no sound. Felt the ground, wet and cold. What was going on, in the movies someone would have been able to identify exactly how many cyclists there were, how far ahead they were, etc., by now. Movies lie! Kept going and caught up with the group at the viewing point.

The ride was great fun (crashes in particular aside), thanks Astramonti for a very interesting route. The fact that some roads were more pothole than road just added to the fun. Admittedly some of those "puddles" seemed deeper than I was tall though :)

I chickened out of the full route and headed straight home from Laragh via Sallygap. Total distance 154km, total climbing 2,958m.

'Twas good to meet people and put faces to names. I didn't get to chat with everyone so wasn't sure of exactly who was there though.

Funny moments:
    * Meeting the widest tanker truck in Ireland on the narrowest road in Ireland (fair play to the driver for stopping and making space for us), followed shortly afterwards by being blocked by two people on a horse and cart (who also were very decent by pulling over to let us pass).
    * RAAM nearly bagging a pheasant that was hiding at the side of the road on a bend. Would have made a sizable lunch. The pheasant probably went home and told her auld fella that she nearly bagged a cyclist, but Mr Pheasant probably told her that would have been a waste as there is no eating on a cyclist and particularly a climber.
    * Water. Everywhere. Waterfalls on road, rivers across roads.
    * Irish roads. Would someone please lend Wicklow County Council some tarmac and an instruction manual. Muck is not a road, right, and scattering gravel over it doesn't magically transform it!
    * The landrover at Laragh that completely misjudged the position of a large rock, while driving very slowly, and ended up with the rock wedged under the side footrail. He reversed and jammed it even worse, bending the rail in the process. The passenger swung the door open to investigate and whacked the bottom of his door off the rock. Comedy gold.

Crying moments:
    * Seeing RAAM and Roger just ride off up the road on the climb before Slieve Mann. I called on my legs to go faster, legs said no.
    * Seeing a man whip off his trousers beside his car somewhere around Rathdrum (I think). He seemed to be wearing painted on boxers, off-white colour of course. Pulling pants they were not! Disturbing pants they certainly were! I am deeply traumatised.
    * Turning bend after bend to see yet another steeply rising road ahead.
    * Going up both Slieve Mann and Shay Elliot with a "song" favoured by my 3yr old daughter looping over and over in my head - "A bottle of rum, to fill my tum, that's the life for me". I sometimes wonder what goes on in that creche of hers!

Fair play to lennymc for sticking with the full route, that takes some balls!

Very sore. A good ride lenny. At my father in laws seventieth now.full report tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

noticed my bloody strava didnt pick up my time for wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

out of the bath, nicest bath ever!! Followed by the nicest burger evere.

Firstly massive thanks to Inquitus for the company, glad you made the surprise party :)

That was a tough day. rivers flowing down roads, gravel, dirt, crap, punctures, none of which dampened a truley tough challenge. In the end we didnt do all the climbs,as it was just getting to late, and i was knackered.

Off to get the bike ready for tomorrow. I think i need my head examined.

Couple of personal records, and a 4th place overall on a descent on strava. yay!!

http://app.strava.com/rides/10445724

oh, and astra is evil. I propose he should be added to the list of 'axis of evil' members

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Forgot to give credit to Inquitus too. Sorry and well done!

doozerie wrote: »
    Forgot to give credit to Inquitus too. Sorry and well done!

Hear hear. Well done gentlemen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Well done all. Begin preparations for next year?

Boards Evil 200

224.1km
    4,138m of climbing

http://app.strava.com/activities/10462013

First off, a big thanks to LennyMc for the company on the way round. We kept each other going, and I would probably have taken a shortcut home otherwise.

Thanks to Astramonti for organising it and his evil mind for coming up with the route!

That was one long hard day in the saddle. We set off at 8am and stayed together waiting at the top of the climbs until just past Newtownmountkennedy when Manafana and myself went to get a headstart while the others had a bathroom break, only we went the wrong way and ended up about 10 mins behind, plus got a bonus 100m of climbing. After a bit we caught Lenny, and Manafana decided to head home via a few hills.

Lenny and myself made pretty good time, bar a couple of punctures and rolled into Laragh at the Hippy Cafe to see the rest of the lads preparing to head home. Astramonti had broken his seatpost and his day was done.

We did the only thing we could do and decided to head for the Wicklow gap and a healthy dose of more suffering.

Got up the Wicklow gap easy enough, and descended down the other side, only to have to hook a right up a narrow lane into a cheeky climb that then dropped us out by the lakes.

Usually I like going downhill, but it had long been apparent on this route that the only reason to go down was because that was the only way to go up more!

We stopped for a can of coke at the shop atop a hill and continued round the up and down of the lakeshore drive finally hooking a right to go up Sally Gap. Thankfully we had a roaring tailwind by now and this made relatively light work of what is probably the easiest way up the gap.

Back to Laragh for another coke, and then we set off on the route back to Dundrum. I was running late for a family party so I headed off as fast as I could muster but made a bollox of things at eniskerry and turned right and ended up on the N11 instead of going straight up the hill, this gave me a 10km diversion, and another bonus 100m of climbing!

All in all a great days sufferfest, would recommend.

20120609155938.jpg

Given the quality of some of the roads we travelled I'd love to see the state of the ones Astra nixxed.

20120609130244.jpg

20120609110426.jpg

Oh and best of luck to that crazy bastard Lenny on his WW200 today!

• Advertisement

Bike just got a 3 hour, what do you call it, "Luxurious Spa treatment" Top to toe. :)
    Dieseled / greased / oiled. Still have to buff it though. lol

Advertisement