Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiscal Treaty Referendum.....How will you vote?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Did you understand what you were saying no to?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭paddy0090

I voted No. The reason why? Because I really didn't understand what I would be saying yes too

Yeah I don't buy this "well I didn't understand it...it's too complex...it's not plain english"(it's an international treaty). It's your responsibility to inform yourself. Even if you make a boll*xs of it. You inform yourself until you are satified to make a decision and vote accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

paddy0090 wrote: »
    Yeah I don't buy this "well I didn't understand it...it's too complex...it's not plain english"(it's an international treaty). It's your responsibility to inform yourself. Even if you make a boll*xs of it. You inform yourself until you are satified to make a decision and vote accordingly

So how did you vote?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

oscarBravo wrote: »
    A suicide pact is an agreement among a number of people to kill themselves.

D'oh! :rolleyes:

So: did you actually mean "suicide pact", or were you just using hyperbole to try to make a point that you're incapable of making through reasoned argument?

I'm using a metaphor to make a point I have earlier made very well - on this very thread!

The dark cloud of the collapse of the current ECB/German scheme for saving the German Banks (of which the Suicide Pact is a part) has one silver lining - the schadenfreude I will experience recycling all your "well made points" will be mighty! ;)

I voted "no"; when they print that t-shirt we'll have more folk wearing it than were stuffed into the GPO in 1916.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Did'nt vote - and it looks like I was'nt alone. Once Spain and Italy go tits up it w'ont matter anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

In case people miss it, we're running an exit poll: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056657467

And, yes, it includes "didn't vote"...

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The people have decided. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The people have decided. :(

The B*stards ;)

The B*stards ;)

:D:D

Yes, the poor B*stards! ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Heads the ball

Also you are missing a big point here.

Th point of the current proposal is that the debts of the bank would not be the debts of the nation. The loan would go straight to the banks.

Therefore if you bail out bankia, it is not the debt of the spanish government. If bankia goes bust i dont see how we have recourse under the current proposals.

The article you cited applies to contracting states to the tfeu NOT to private enterprises

This is to support my assertion yesterday that the ESM is being considered for the purposes of bailing out the banks directly and not the sovereigns.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2012/0601/1224317058133.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Nice to see the poll on this thread was accurate.
    It's been fun and all but I. am. outta here.
    Ye have made yer own mess people, like a pig in shyt, may ye wallow in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Nice to see the poll on this thread was accurate.
    It's been fun and all but I. am. outta here.
    Ye have made yer own mess people, like a pig in shyt, may ye wallow in it.

That is why the etymology of democracy is, ahem, ... mob rule

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

That is why the etymology of democracy is, ahem, ... mob rule

No it's not. The etymology is "rule of the people".

Mob, in relation to a group of people, is pejorative. :P

You can't use a public vote in your favour one time and criticise it another. I think your fight was for a different occasion StealthRolex!

No it's not. The etymology is "rule of the people".

Mob, in relation to a group of people, is pejorative. :P

You can't use a public vote in your favour one time and criticise it another. I think your fight was for a different occasion StealthRolex!

Demos in Greek is what exactly? Hint: it's not "people"

it is actually "Rule of the masses "

As for mob being perjoritive - can't see how mobile vulgas , aka the fickle ones, can be described as pejorative. Historically when we are asked to vote and vote no and asked again we vote yes.

This is to support my assertion yesterday that the ESM is being considered for the purposes of bailing out the banks directly and not the sovereigns.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2012/0601/1224317058133.html

The article, though, is a discussion of what might be desirable/possible in future. Here's direct contradiction from Olli Rehn's spokesman:
    The current plan for the European Stability Mechanism, the EU's permanent bailout vehicle, does not include direct recapitalization of banks, a spokesman for the bloc's executive arm said Thursday.

"You have to distinguish between things; some things are possible now... some for the future," said Amadeu Altafaj Tardio, spokesman for Economic Affairs Commissioner Olli Rehn.

"With the ESM, as it is, when it comes into force it won't cover the direct recapitalization of banks with a direct injections of funds from the ESM," he told reporters in response to a question about the fund's role.

Is that sufficiently direct and explicit for you?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

How come every poll i seem to take NO seems to be of the higher majority, yet when it comes to the real thing its down by 20%!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

tiny timy wrote: »
    How come every poll i seem to take NO seems to be of the higher majority, yet when it comes to the real thing its down by 20%!!!!

The sample population for the polls you have taken is not representative of the wider population.

Demos in Greek is what exactly? Hint: it's not "people"

it is actually "Rule of the masses "

As for mob being perjoritive - can't see how mobile vulgas , aka the fickle ones, can be described as pejorative. Historically when we are asked to vote and vote no and asked again we vote yes.

No, "demos" is "people", particularly in the sense of a body of citizenry. "Ochlos" is "mob" or "masses" in that sense, and "ochlocracy" is "mob rule":
    Demos is used four times, all in Acts, in the section where Luke described the varied conditions of the heathen world (Acts 12:22; 17:5; 19:30, 33). Each of these passages exemplifies Luke's accurate and precise use of technical terms, which is characteristic of so highly educated a man.

The Greek demos is equivalent to the Latin populus (a people), which Cicero defined this way: "Populus is not every assembly of people gathered in any manner, but an assembly of a large number uniting together with consent of the law and for mutual benefit." Very often demos refers to an assembled group of people who are actively exercising their rights as citizens. This idea so dominates demos that "en to demo" is equivalent to "in a popular assembly," which is the way Luke invariably used demos.

The exact opposite to demos is ochlos, the disorganized or unorganized multitude. In classical Greek, ochlos often has a certain tinge of contempt and designates those who share neither in the duties nor the privileges of free citizens.

http://studybible.info/trench/People

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

An unfortunate but rather predictable reaction from the 'no' side on this thread. :(

• Advertisement

An unfortunate but rather predictable reaction from the 'no' side on this thread. :(

Considering that they have been called everything from loons to liars and from stupid to terrorist sympathisers, the reaction from a losing Yes side might not have been very pretty either! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

tiny timy wrote: »

Many people who are not registered or couldn't be bothered to vote will still give a quick click to a boards poll.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    No, "demos" is "people", particularly in the sense of a body of citizenry. "Ochlos" is "mob" or "masses" in that sense, and "ochlocracy" is "mob rule":

http://studybible.info/trench/People

cordially,
    Scofflaw

"People" is but one interpretation or definition. In addition to "masses" it can also mean multitude or rabble. Depending on the context it can also mean country or "land".

It would seem I would have been more correct to describe democracy as rabble rule. It also illiterates, which is nice.

and it's masculine - does this imply that democracy should be a male preserve?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The sad thing is that so many people didn't even bother to turn out. This shows that neither side explained the matter properly. One leader in particular hid from the media. It is all a symptom of how the country is at the moment, nobody caring at all, citizen or politician. We're doomed I tell ya.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/05/201252874716394428.html

This pretty much sums it all up. :cool:

Iceland: brave hardy people confront reality and take the hit up front.

Ireland: the grubby-tillers and middle-class sheep fearfully imagine they can escape the day of reckoning with acts of cowardice and capitulation.

The sad thing is that so many people didn't even bother to turn out. This shows that neither side explained the matter properly. One leader in particular hid from the media. It is all a symptom of how the country is at the moment, nobody caring at all, citizen or politician. We're doomed I tell ya.

Yeah.

30% voted for the Suicide Pact and 70% didn't.

The 70% got it right - for whatever reason ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The sample population for the polls you have taken is not representative of the wider population.

Indeed. From the 'Record low turnout for treaty referendum?' thread:
    ninja900 wrote: »
    The proportion of pensioners in my area is high, they've a lot to lose in the event of loss of supply (actually, we all do, but they're acutely aware of it and don't tend to listen to SF/SWP propaganda.)

So I'd be more optimistic of a Yes. 55 or 60%. I reckon a lot of people talked a good No game but didn't turn up in the end.

It wuz the pensioners what wun it :pac: and I should've put money on 60%...!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Yeah.

30% voted for the Suicide Pact and 70% didn't.

The 70% got it right - for whatever reason ;)
    As far as I know there wasn't any suicide pact that was voted on yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Sand

humanji wrote: »
    As far as I know there wasn't any suicide pact that was voted on yesterday.

You voted Yes then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Do I have to have voted a particular way to be disgusted by scaremongering?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement