Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RDP12 Final - Leinster v Ospreys 27/05/12 - KO 4pm - RTE/TG4/S4C

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cbyrne11

Tox56 wrote: »
    I don't think the timing of warnings has any relevance, it's the offence itself that is the issue.

You can see it here, doesn't look like he was pulling it down if anything looks the other way around, happens at about 6.15.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/mdtv/

Anyway sometimes these things go against you, poite is not a god ref though, would have been better to get an Scottish or English ref, even Wayne Barnes would have been better.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

I don't think the timing of warnings has any relevance, it's the offence itself that is the issue.

What do you mean its the offense itself?
    People are saying a yellow after 32 minutes is crazy.
    How is that not relevant to my reply?

Personally Im saying the timing doesnt matter.
    If your deemed to be taking the piss at some stage and a hair away from a yellow then youd better not repeat before I blow the final whistle.

castie wrote: »

If your deemed to be taking the piss at some stage and a hair away from a yellow then youd better not repeat before I blow the final whistle.

Common sense would say that he didn't deliberately pull his own scrum down 5 metres out from his own line! He did let Leinster away with a lot as well though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I mean that not everybody is claiming the issue with the yellow was the lack of a warning, other people (including myself) were claiming the yellow wasn't deserved because White didn't commit an offence in the first place.

cbyrne11 wrote: »
    You can see it here, doesn't look like he was pulling it down if anything looks the other way around, happens at about 6.15.

Anyway sometimes these things go against you, poite is not a god ref though, would have been better to get an Scottish or English ref, even Wayne Barnes would have been better.

Im one of Poites biggest critics but suggesting a Scot ref instead....thats just mean!

• Advertisement

Im one of Poites biggest critics but suggesting a Scot ref instead....thats just mean!

Ha! Struggling to think of a name of one to be honest, but seriously he did a bad job of Ulster Munster and then was allowed to ref the final, really doesn't make sense to me.

That could have been one of the all time best finals but attacking play was killed on both sides with players lying on the ball and defenders offside. For ages I was really impressed with the Ospreys blitz defence but then I realised that they were offside and that's how they were closing Leinster down so fast. I'll admit though that Leinster were lying all over the ball as well though stopping turnovers!

Out of interest since you've reffed before did you think it was a penalty you can see it at the link below, I was a backrow player so never really got to know the frontrow rules that well.

I mean that not everybody is claiming the issue with the yellow was the lack of a warning, other people (including myself) were claiming the yellow wasn't deserved because White didn't commit an offence in the first place.

Thats a different arguement to what I have replied to though.
    My arguement assumes the correct penalty decision.

cbyrne11 wrote: »
    Out of interest since you've reffed before did you think it was a penalty you can see it at the link below, I was a backrow player so never really got to know the frontrow rules that well.

Video is terrible so took a few watches and no way would I of spotted this in a game.

6:21 in a freeze frame I took.

http://img.ie/08ac1.png

Theres a diagonal line downwards from White through the Ospreys prop.
    Hence White is shoulders below hips and so legit penalty.

I think someone said Schmidt was giving out about exactly this after the game?

Video is terrible so took a few watches and no way would I of spotted this in a game.

6:21 in a freeze frame I took.

http://img.ie/08ac1.png

Theres a diagonal line downwards from White through the Ospreys prop.
    Hence White is shoulders below hips and so legit penalty.

I think someone said Schmidt was giving out about exactly this after the game?

Schmidt said something about the Ospreys not trying to keep the scrum up, I think primarily on Ospreys TH side.

Also, from the video I took that the Ospreys LH didn't have his bind.

• Advertisement

Schmidt said something about the Ospreys not trying to keep the scrum up, I think primarily on Ospreys TH side.

As a prop I can say if the other guy is scrummaging shoulders below hips it will be impossible to hold a bind if you stay straight as your basically trying to lift him with one hand.

Someone did mention the shoulders below hips as something he said as well.

Correct me if wrong.

I found the video on youtube, and the Ospreys LH isn't binding a few seconds after the hit, when everything looks pretty straight to me as a novice, although the ref obscures the view:

ok3cax.jpg

And following that the Ospreys LH appears to hit the ground first, and his "shoulders were below hips" before White, at the very least it was marginal.

As I said, I'm a novice, but what I noticed live was the Ospreys LH not binding and then both sides went down almost simultaneously. What was the offence White committed?

I found the video on youtube, and the Ospreys LH isn't binding a few seconds after the hit, when everything looks pretty straight to me as a novice, although the ref obscures the view:

ok3cax.jpg

And following that the Ospreys LH appears to hit the ground first, and his "shoulders were below hips" before White, at the very least it was marginal.

As I said, I'm a novice, but what I noticed live was the Ospreys LH not binding and then both sides went down almost simultaneously. What was the offence White committed?

Dont have the youtube link.
    Im giving my opinion on it.

LH binds then loses his bind then goes for another bind that he gets then scrum goes down. Its not an offensive to lose and regain your bind. I wouldnt of deemed it intentional.

LH hitting the floor first is nonsense.
    TH binds above LH binds below.
    If the whole thing is coming down who you think is going to hit the deck first?

ok3cax.jpg

Interesting to compare both flankers positions.
    Ospreys guy has back straight in line with props where as Leinster guy appears to be driving downwards. (Doing White no favours there)

ok3cax.jpg

Dont have the youtube link.
    Im giving my opinion on it.

LH binds then loses his bind then goes for another bind that he gets then scrum goes down. Its not an offensive to lose and regain your bind. I wouldnt of deemed it intentional.

LH hitting the floor first is nonsense.
    TH binds above LH binds below.
    If the whole thing is coming down who you think is going to hit the deck first?

I don't reckon he does regain his bind before he hits the ground, and I don't see how Poite can clearly tell who was bringing the scrum down. If he was willing to issue a game changing yellow card he had to be convinced and I don't see how he can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

JustinDee wrote: »
    The Leinster coach is hardly going to say that his props struggled in each of these infringements following the loss in a tournament final.
    My point was that in calls like these, it is usually only wrong to those who support the side losing out. It is always right and rarely questioned if the other way around.

Both the RTE and Setanta experts were astonished at that yellow card. Both thought the Ospreys prop had infringed on the Leinster prop. Setanta showed how the Osprey failed to bind on White, which caused the scrum to collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Leaving aside the individual decisions, the scrummaging was poor from both sides, way below the standard of the Harlequins/Leicester game. French refs don't like to see that and somebody is usually going to pay the price for it.

Leinster were flat for this game, understandably. They never got going and Ospreys cut down the space available as well. Bishop looked lively and Williams was superb, of course. Nacewa's first try was All Black-worthy, he made it look so simple. Ospreys missed Tommy's fielding there.

I'd have to fault McFadden on Williams's first try. His attempted tackle was feeble and he left too much space on the wing again. It adds to my concern about McFadden's defensive abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭ironingbored

If Poite had the balls to yellow card White in very dubious circumstances, then why no balls to give Leinster a penalty here?:

http://t.co/z05u5SJP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

If Poite had the balls to yellow card White in very dubious circumstances, then why no balls to give Leinster a penalty here?:

That picture doesn't show anything?? Maybe if Reddan was in the middle of passing, but he's not, he's looking down for the ball. What happens in the next frame? Does the Osprey player remain offside or does he get back onside?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Ardillaun wrote: »
    It adds to my concern about McFadden's defensive abilities.

Not too sure I'd be overly concerned about McFadden's defensive capabilities on that evidence alone. And we're talking about Williams here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Not too sure I'd be overly concerned about McFadden's defensive capabilities on that evidence alone. And we're talking about Williams here.

Reddan had him lined up for a tackle too and he went high and didn't prevent the grounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Hagz wrote: »
    That picture doesn't show anything?? Maybe if Reddan was in the middle of passing, but he's not, he's looking down for the ball. What happens in the next frame? Does the Osprey player remain offside or does he get back onside?

Unless he's retreating Pink Panther style, he is offside and it is advantage Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Morf wrote: »
    Reddan had him lined up for a tackle too and he went high and didn't prevent the grounding.

Tackling Williams (what, 5' 7"?) high is never going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Tackling Williams (what, 5' 7"?) high is never going to work.

Reddan isn't a huge man either but he still went at shoulder height of Williams. He should have been put into touch but he wasn't.

Morf wrote: »
    Reddan isn't a huge man either but he still went at shoulder height of Williams. He should have been put into touch but he wasn't.

I think that's harsh Reddan was scrambling over and William's ducked under the tackle, he just about made it to him to get him into touch would have to have been a brilliant tackle. I can't remember if it was Kearney or McFadden that made the first attempt at tackling but they were more likely to stop Williams. Reddan was a last ditch effort, don't think you can fault him for going high on a 5 7 player ducking down!

Jesus you can see where Poite's concerns are in that photo, why is looking to where Johny Sexton is? What possible infringement could be made in the Leinster backline from there?

Anyway match is over, don't think he was far to either team, so suppose if Leinster had won questions would be asked about the refereeing of the breakdown with regards to Leinster slowing the ball down. You play the ref and Ospreys did that very well at the weekend but then so did Leinster at the breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Kearneys defense for Williams first try was really poor. He really needs to work on that area of his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Kearneys defense for Williams first try was really poor. He really needs to work on that area of his game.

Ya, I was saying it back the thread but in relation to the break the Ospreys made in the first half. He made the tackle in the end with some help but he looked at sea tracking back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Now a ref assessment by photo??
    Seriously, folks . . .

Advertisement