Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I've been off the bike for around seven weeks due to a combination of injury & bereavement. So first day back was disappointing. Did a 30k run from here to Ballyboughal / Nags Head / Five Roads and then home on the flat. Averaged barely over 20kph and took 90mins.

I suppose I can only get better...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭furiousox

Went from Drogheda to Naul to Ballyboughill, across to the N1 and back to Drogheda via Balbriggan this morning.
    That was my first time climbing to Naul since breaking my wrist there last year.
    As I passed the junction where I crashed, I let out an involuntary primal scream of rage! :eek:
    Weird..but very satisfying, felt like closure. :)

EDIT: might have met you out there shamwari!

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Perhaps! Recognise the helmet? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice cycle yesterday, a loop from my local village in south Wicklow around the nearby mountain Croaghan Kinsella with a little extension out to Woodenbridge and back via Aughrim.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/179751400

Really like my Giant TCX2 bike. Gives me the option to hop onto a trail for an offroad diversion if I want one. Its also solid on some of the bad road quality you often find.

Saw a unique sight on this cycle. Something you only really see on the nature documentaries. I must have spooked a bird that was about to tuck into its lunch. Couldn't see what type of bird it was but it was quite big. It took off and released a small bunny from its talons. The poor mite was probably already done for and seemed to float in mid-air for a second before it fell into the bushes that the bird had alighted from. A camera moment if there ever was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Nice cycle yesterday, a loop from my local village in south Wicklow around the nearby mountain Croaghan Kinsella with a little extension out to Woodenbridge and back via Aughrim.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/179751400

Really like my Giant TCX2 bike. Gives me the option to hop onto a trail for an offroad diversion if I want one. Its also solid on some of the bad road quality you often find.

Saw a unique sight on this cycle. Something you only really see on the nature documentaries. I must have spooked a bird that was about to tuck into its lunch. Couldn't see what type of bird it was but it was quite big. It took off and released a small bunny from its talons. The poor mite was probably already done for and seemed to float in mid-air for a second before it fell into the bushes that the bird had alighted from. A camera moment if there ever was one.
    Poor bunny :(. (Poor bird, even :( ; the cognitive dissonance is killing me.)
    This would fit right in here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77903479 ... it's a veritable graveyard of critters (interspersed with nekkid people and other oddities) :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭secman

Just back on the bike after 10yr break, the xtra 2- 3 stone is a bitch !.
    Yesterday , went from Killenagh- Ballyedmonde- Boulavogue-The Harrow- Ferns- Camolin- Ballycanew- Killenagh. To and from house to Killeangh. All told about 50Km. Delighted to be back. Did that route about 2 weeks ago in reverse.. much much ,more difficult that way.

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Had a great spin yesterday. Covered over 83 miles, Swords over to Trim, down to Enfield and then back again. No hills to speak of. The new High5 stuff I picked up on Saturday morning kept me energised. Only moment of note was the young lad in the small red car that pulled onto a roundabout right in front of me. Was completely oblivious of my presence. Copious amounts of brakes and swearing and I was able to proceed safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ccull123

What a beautifull day......started off in lucan and went as far as Howth and back via the Phoenix Park. 75km in total. The park was full of people out Jogging/cycling. OPLEASE let this last a while

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

I ate so many flies descending from Howth this evening. mmm... protein.

Seeing the sunset over the city was fantastic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

buffalo wrote: »
    I ate so many flies descending from Howth this evening. mmm... protein.
    Yourself and Bear Grylls should head out for a spin together some day, there'd be no need for coffee stops ... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nice mellow spin up to the sally gap this evening, and some great downhills on the military road and cruagh. Wasn't so gone on the downhill past lough bray, road is truly in sh!te in parts. Amazing to be warm in the hills in the evenings in shorts and short sleeves. Long may it last!

Cracking day for it today. I decided to try do a bunch of roads I rarely do - Woodside Road leading to Devil's Elbow, through Glencree and up to Sallygap from the north side, and then the little turn-off near Laragh that brings you to Roundwood via some back roads. And then took the main road back to Enniskerry instead of heading back over Old Long Hill.

Shouldn't have gone to the pub last night though, legs didn't respond well at all. Felt like I was riding with the brakes on. Still though, have a nice burning sensation on my arms now, and got some motor-pacing training over the 'gap!

There's very few other things I'd rather spend a day like this doing. :)

edit: Also, tonnes of Orwell jerseys out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Cope charity cycle today. Cork - Clonakilty -Cork. Bones of 100 Km, road is good enough but very busy. Wind was with going down but against coming back:(. Tough going, even picked up a bit of a tan. Fitness building up nicely for the Tde Burren and the RoK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Buggered off out of work at lunchtime yesterday. I was a bit sick of hammering around the roads of north county dublin in what passes for training and, in view of the weather and my not-fully-recovered back, decided to enjoy a spin around wicklow. I rode out from town over the Sally Gap and down that heavenly road past Glenmacnass into Laragh. Good coffee and a sandwich at the café (and a bit of a stretch of the back on the grass out the front - it's OK to look like a tit when no-one knows you). Up over the Wicklow Gap and through Valleymount into Blessington. Tough headwind on the way back into town but nothing could disrupt my good spirits (not even the upturned car on the way into Blessington - hope the poor soul is OK).

Can feel it a little in the back today but that gives me an excuse to stay in bed in the morning on a precautionary basis so every cloud...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

gap, have a nice burning sensation on my arms now, and got some motor-pacing training over the 'gap!

There's very few other things I'd rather spend a day like this doing. :)

edit: Also, tonnes of Orwell jerseys out there!

Same, on all of the above. Took a spin with the sis out to Enniskerry, Powerscourt, Sally gap, Laragh, Sallygap, GlenCullen and home. Chatting to an Orwell lad in the hippy cafe, and wishing to feck I'd put suncream on my arms as well as my legs. 110k, hills and some words to the wise if this weather keeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

First time on the bike in over a year due to injury and illness. Delighted with how strong I felt on the bike and completely surprised myself going over the 4 drags that I hate with a passion. Really pushing it now because I have a massive charity cycle in planning and it's a great incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Took advantage of the warm spell yesterday and brought the bike with me to work in the hope of getting a half day. The God's approved and off I set on this http://app.strava.com/rides/9396757. Big thanks to the Fourtrak drive with the low-loader who I drafted for about 5k @ c.45kmh on the N2!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I went out with the Swords 8:30am spin on a lovely morning, the pace was quite sedate for the first 30km and then someone went off the front and some bad men spent the next 40km trying to shred my legs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Got pulled over by a Garda in unmarked car (with lights and sirens :rolleyes:)in Lusk this evening for not using the cycle lane on the Rathmore Road. When I protested that to use it would be dangerous and pointed out that it was full of walkers, joggers, dogs, buggies etc. (all going merrily by as we spoke) he said he wasn't interested in my opinions on safety!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Did 102km from cork to fermoy and back, got a flat on the mountain change it couldn't find anything in the Wheel place a new tube in got another flat but it was a slow one same with the first one got home notice the wheel was flat change it again took the tyre off the wheel to find a small little bit of wood put a new tube in started to pump the wheel and the. A big bang a part of the tyre never went in fully and popped out and the tube blow from the metal of the wheel..

That and the heat from today was very annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Got pulled over by a Garda in unmarked car (with lights and sirens :rolleyes:)in Lusk this evening for not using the cycle lane on the Rathmore Road. When I protested that to use it would be dangerous and pointed out that it was full of walkers, joggers, dogs, buggies etc. (all going merrily by as we spoke) he said he wasn't interested in my opinions on safety!

By Law, do you have to use the cycle lane.

Often cycle over quincentinal bridge here in galway. I dont use the cycle path as it has been dug up a few times and is very rough. It also several ridges, about 5 or 6 cm wide going across the cycle path.

Also, there are several anti-slip strips for pedestrians, which could cause a fall.

That's... I'm kinda speechless. They were his exact words?

That's... I'm kinda speechless. They were his exact words?
    Yes. I'm a reasonable person. As we spoke several walkers passed on the cycle lane. I pointed out to the Garda that I need to take my safety and their safety into account and, as I often average 40kph there, it would be unsafe to use it. He said that he wasn't interested in my opinions on safety and that I was legally obliged to use the cycle lane. (It's one of those segregated ones above road height and it's too short to be practical anyway).

It gets better - He said that if I encounter pedestrians or other obstructions on the cycle lane I should telephone the Gardai instead of breaking the law.

He asked for ID. I didn't have picture ID on me but said that I cpould produce a driving licence/passport later. He then stated that I was lucky that I didn't have my driving licence with me as he could have got points added to it for this cycling incident. Unbeliveable!

It gets better - He said that if I encounter pedestrians or other obstructions on the cycle lane I should telephone the Gardai instead of breaking the law.

Did you get his name at all? I'd do as he says, and ring him every time you see a pedestrian in the cycle lane. :D

Did you get his name at all? I'd do as he says, and ring him every time you see a pedestrian in the cycle lane. :D
    That's what my wife suggested!. I think I'll make a call to the 'Super' in Balbriggan on Monday to enquire as to who Robocop may be! the whole thing seemed so surreal at the time I didn't even take notice of his number or possible grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

That's what my wife suggested!. I think I'll make a call to the 'Super' in Balbriggan on Monday to enquire as to who Robocop may be! the whole thing seemed so surreal at the time I didn't even take notice of his number or possible grade.
    We should all start ringing balbriggan station to report people in cycle path. The Swords 8.30 group will have to use cycle lane from now on

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RO 06 wrote: »
    We should all start ringing balbriggan station to report people in cycle path. The Swords 8.30 group will have to use cycle lane from now on
    I think they should monitor the road continuously - hopefully that should help protect my KOM (don't think anyone will be able to do it along the cycle path at 55kph)

Interestingly I use the by-pass rather than going through the village. If they are going to try and make cyclists use the cycle path I will just help congest the village more, probably inconveniencing motor vehicles (as the road is not suitable for overtaking) as well as the numerous people parking on the road and then trying to walk across it to the shops.

Beasty wrote: »
    hopefully that should help protect my KOM (don't think anyone will be able to do it along the cycle path at 55kph)
    Ah Beasty - I think I know who you are now! That's me in 4th place with a 47kph on my return to work this afternoon! ;) (And that's with a commuting backpack, mudguards etc. :))

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If you're legally obliged to use the cycle track (assuming it has correct signage and the proper painted lines), then the walkers are equally obliged not to use it and are equally in defiance of the law. He's going to be a busy Garda once he realises this.

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    If you're legally obliged to use the cycle track (assuming it has correct signage and the proper painted lines), then the walkers are equally obliged not to use it and are equally in defiance of the law. He's going to be a busy Garda once he realises this.
    AFAIK the signage there is incorrect and doesn't comply with the relevant SI. That was one of my arguments to him but he wanted proof which I didn't have to hand (obviously what cyclist carries SI's around with them!).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement