Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Amazing weather this morning and for some extremely lucky coincidence I didn't have crèche duty in the morning. So, got up at the regular time and did this one:

http://app.strava.com/rides/14640363

Made me want to get a road bike even more :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Took a lumpy route from ballyboden to laragh with my sister yesterday, having been reminded of joys of the full wall by Mrs Doozerie a few nights back. For a shortish spin of 90k it worked out as real cruncher. Nearly creased myself on the bottom half of the wall, only to realise I was still in the middle ring when I hit the cross roads. Hit 69kph on the old long hill on the way home, which is something I've decided not to ever do again, way too many opportunities to get creamed. Beautiful scenery and weather, for what is often a less cycled path, couple of picks here

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Amazing weather this morning and for some extremely lucky coincidence I didn't have crèche duty in the morning. So, got up at the regular time and did this one:

http://app.strava.com/rides/14640363

Made me want to get a road bike even more :)

Thinking of doing the Kippure climb tomorrow if its not too blowy, haven't been up to the mast yet on my bike, and it's been nagging me each time I pass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

I went out up the Sutton side of Howth yesterday. Didn't push myself 'cause the GPS was out of juice. Sure what's the point if it's not on Strava? :P

Back down through the village, around to the crossroads by the Marine and along the coast road to Malahide. Guy in cervelo kit appears ahead of me at the crossroads, but I'm not in the mood for company, not quite going fast enough to justify overtaking him, and don't want to draft. So I sit about five metres behind him for most of the way to Malahide, except he breaks any red light he can. I lost him in Malahide, but as I come back down the Malahide Road at Clontarf, who's just ahead of me? Mr Cervelo. Don't break lights, just ride faster. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

smacl wrote: »
    Thinking of doing the Kippure climb tomorrow if its not too blowy, haven't been up to the mast yet on my bike, and it's been nagging me each time I pass it.

Just in case take a wind stopper jacket or something similar with you. The first time I went up there it was quite windy and while going up it was all fine in short sleeves but coming down I almost got hypothermia. The climb is nice there but the descent is a b*** (tons of loose gravel and some potholes that'll break any wheel if hit at speed).

• Advertisement

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Just in case take a wind stopper jacket or something similar with you. The first time I went up there it was quite windy and while going up it was all fine in short sleeves but coming down I almost got hypothermia. The climb is nice there but the descent is a b*** (tons of loose gravel and some potholes that'll break any wheel if hit at speed).

Made it up to the mast tonight, and more importantly back down. The climb is strenuous but doable whereas the descent is a real c u nxt tuesday. Hang onto the brakes until the hands get tired, let go and pick up a bit of speed, hit some gravel and a pothole, skid, bump and take a dump, grab the brakes with renewed fervor, repeat. Great stuff!

Couple of pics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭g0g

smacl wrote: »
    Took a lumpy route from ballyboden to laragh with my sister yesterday, having been reminded of joys of the full wall by Mrs Doozerie a few nights back. For a shortish spin of 90k it worked out as real cruncher. Nearly creased myself on the bottom half of the wall, only to realise I was still in the middle ring when I hit the cross roads. Hit 69kph on the old long hill on the way home, which is something I've decided not to ever do again, way too many opportunities to get creamed. Beautiful scenery and weather, for what is often a less cycled path, couple of picks here
    Never been along that back road from Laragh back beyond Laragh - what's surface like for a roadbike? Flat enough or lots of climbs? I've just seen the initial climb fro mthe Laragh side while passing it. Assume Lough Dan is a dead end once you enter there?

g0g wrote: »
    Never been along that back road from Laragh back beyond Laragh - what's surface like for a roadbike? Flat enough or lots of climbs? I've just seen the initial climb fro mthe Laragh side while passing it. Assume Lough Dan is a dead end once you enter there?

Surface is ok, I did it on a road bike with 25mm Durano plus tyres and my sister managed on 23mm gatorskins, but it is very steep if you're coming from the Laragh side. Slightly easier than the wall in terms of length and gradient, but only just, and there's a few more steep ramps on the route. I've a triple which takes the edge off the climb. The road to Lough Dan is a dead end, and another ramp, but well worth it for the views. A bit gravelly in spots so you need to watch the descent on the way back.

If you're doing this spin anytime soon, throw on a bit of insect repellent. It's warmer and less exposed than the surrounding roads, so the bugs abound. I've done this route both directions, and while it's tough either way, I'd say coming from the Laragh side is harder. Great scenery though and a bit different to the surrounding area, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Did the RoK in reverse yesterday, started off about 8'ish and i must say molls gap is a lot harder from the Killarney side at the time it was nice and cool which helped. As the day heated up the going got tough, lots of sneaky hills and ramps that don't seem to be there on the RoK.
    Coomakiste wasn't too bad and we had a nice stop in waterville before heading off. Plenty of sunshine on the day and the temps went up to 25ish (which we're definitely not used to) so we took it handy but the worst of it was over. Cahersiveen is a strange place when there isn't thousands queuing for bananas and current bread.
    Finished it in 6.53 without killing ourselves, thoroughly enjoyed the day out and I'ld recommend it to anybody. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Did 100km yesterday, a very flat 100 though!

Dundrum - Enniskerry - Bray - coast road down to East Link - Sutton - Malahide - Lap of Airport - Dundrum.

It was 98km so I continue up to Sandyford village and back for the extra 2km.

Distance: 100.56km
    Time: 3.44.25
    Av Speed: 26.9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Gentle 20k recovery out the coast towards Howth. Had killed myself yesterday trying to establish one hour threshold heart rate - 145 only 2 down from the last time I tried this about three years ago. Beautiful morning both spins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

85km in a monsoon of biblical proportions on a club spin. Headwind, thick fog and lots of surface water.

Cant wait for the winter - might get some decent weather. Give my dry cold any day to this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Masala

ROK ON wrote: »
    85km in a monsoon of biblical proportions on a club spin. Headwind, thick fog and lots of surface water.

Cant wait for the winter - might get some decent weather. Give my dry cold any day to this nonsense.

ROK... Could have been worse!! We could have gone on the 'full' spin!!!! Hey... Sun is shining in Kenmare!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

ROK ON wrote: »
    I lost any hope for this summer, which most likely will never come anyway. Never seen anything like it in my life.
    Hopefully, the rest of the year will be nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

70km donegal town ardara an back lovely morning just started raining now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,932 ✭✭✭furiousox

Had a really enjoyable spin today.
    Drogheda to Naul to Ballyboughal then across to Lusk, Skerries, Balbriggan and back to Drogheda (65km)
    Generally sunny with no wind...bee-yoot-i-full! :)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Did a 70K spin yesterday around Lake Greifensee, which is just north of Lake Zurich. Got a bit lost and slightly sunburnt as it was 35 degrees at times.
    Cant upload my garmin yet as no home internet and the work computers wont allow me to download the software.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Plastik

Did a 70K spin yesterday around Lake Greifensee, which is just north of Lake Zurich. Got a bit lost and slightly sunburnt as it was 35 degrees at times.
    Cant upload my garmin yet as no home internet and the work computers wont allow me to download the software.

Connect Garmin to computer, search for it as an attached device to the computer, go to the activities folder, copy to desktop, upload file manually to whatever website.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fatbiker

Cycled from Sligo-Dromahair-Manorhamilton-Sligo, 60k, in aid of MS North West. Great experience, great sambos at Manorhamilton, I am a bit tired but not as knackered as I thought I would be. This was a big deal for me! FB

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Noob went for spin this evening up Stocking Lane and on up to Glencree. Feeling good - decide to head on up to Sally Gap and around by Lough Tay - be grand he said.

Not feeling so good at Sally Gap, wrecked by Lough Tay, in the horrors by Ballinastoe. Then decided to jam on the brakes to get a photo of Powerscourt waterfall (i think). Forget to get feet out of clips, and did best imitation of a falling tree. Luckily no one around to see! Soldiered on back through Enniskerry and home. First 50k+ spin and 1k of climbing to boot.

Conclusions:
    1. It wasn't grand going up to Sally Gap as a noob.
    2. Need to get out cycling more.
    3. Convince her indoors that I need a road bike. Yes, I'm on a MTB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

Done the 90 km Leinster loop , first ever sportive , had done the first 45km in 1hr 35m into a good head wind and was tipping along nicely till about 15km from the finish when I kind of blew up a bit and no amount of coke or those horrible gels and bars could get me above doing 20kph , I limped home in 3hrs 38m , I really enjoyed it though , a good turnout and fair play to larriy's football club for letting us park on their TWO. Lovely pitches ...

JazzyJ wrote: »
    It wasn't grand going up to Sally Gap as a noob.

Bit of a headwind going up there yesterday evening, which doesn't help. Nor does being on a MTB mind you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

95k loop saturday morning,left Killaloe, Silvermines,Dolla, Borrisoleigh, rearcross, newport and home. Was meant to be a 75km loop but missed a turn before templederry and ended up adding the extra 20k. My longest cycle ever(previous was 65), and annoyingly close to but under the 100k. 4 hours but that included quite a bit of stopping and looking at maps on the phone as i had gone off route and wasn't sure what turns i needed to take

still it leaves me with a ring of lough derg as my potential first 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Nice spin in today - calm and sunny.

Met Jawgap (incognito) looking ridiculously fresh after what must have been 50k of his monster commute. Shame to have to pull over and go into work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Sweet suffering baby jesus! That was a nasty rain shower coming over Featherbeds, I'd swear there were hailstones mixed in and it was horizontal. That's the slowest speed I've done yet on the descent down from the Viewing point.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭BGT

Thanks to you all who rode in the Leinster Loop on Sunday, great day and your kind words are much appreciated. The are many photos on www.leinsterloop.com and on Facebook (leinster loop) and over 640 photos taken by award-winning photographer David Cantwell on http://smu.gs/NAuOnO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Not been a good 48 hours for my poor bike. Locked it up for a 25 minute meeting in town yesterday with a U lock and chain, came back and some little sh*tes had tried to rob it anyways. In their frustration they broke my bell, and gave the front break a few kicks, no serious damage luckily. All sorted out as soon as possible and back in order for today.

My early morning spin was thwarted about 5 minutes in by rain and lazyness, and on my way home from work, I came off of it in a pretty lucky way - Some guy in a BMW by Lennox St. accelerated out of a parking space and across the road into the left hand lane as I was passing without looking, indicating, or so much as sticking his nose out. I ended up slamming on the brakes while going over a manhole, skidding, and being launched over the handlebars. Luckily I somehow landed feet first, as the bike skidded past. Guy in car stopped for a brief second then sped on :rolleyes:

Think there's some rather nasty dents and a lot of worn paintwork, but it could have been so much worse!

Half thinking of attempting the dying cow 200 as a first foray into audax, so I decided to take a spin out that way yesterday to check out some of the route and climbs. Didn't get off to a great start when I hit a pothole coming into Enniskerry and saw my Ixon iq light hop off the front handle bars and smash into a thousand pieces. Retrieve and pocketed larger bits, headed on up by the Sugarloaf, down to Laragh, and across the hills to Greenane. Vaguely lost in the hills decided to take out the printed map and notes I'd prepared the day before, to find out I'd left them at home. Eventually found a signpost for Aughrim and got there via Macreddin and a real ramp of hill. On to Tinahely, and managing to guess a few turns correctly, Stranakelly cross roads and the dying cow / tallons pub, gasping for a swift drink and a rake of sangers before attempting the hill out. Fecking closed!!! Up the hill, distraught, managing a whole 6.4kph, threw myself into a bush at the top and munched a few energy bars. Back home via the good R-roads and coffee stops in Aughrim and Laragh, feeling absolutely destroyed. 184k covered, but I've actually got serious doubts whether I'd manage 200k. The difference in speed and effort required to cover distance on rampy, potholed, gravelly L-roads, versus average R-roads surprised me. Must see if I can pick up a few cans of HTFU in bike24 before the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Did my first 100km yesterday..only been cycling for a few weeks, legs are fine today oddly enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

Came home from work, lovely weather outside, so threw on the gear and heading for Howth. Weaving along the sea front at Clontarf, nice sea breeze and up Sutton side. Descend down the village side, insects hurling themselves at my face. Stop outside the Bike Hub, or whatever that shop is called, and realise there's a big ruin of a church right over it that I've never noticed!

Back up through the village, down the Sutton side. Debating another ascent, notice the storm clouds gathering. It looked like there was a tornado starting to form over the Marine. Start back toward town, realise the city is just lost in cloud, duck into a bus shelter for ten minutes to avoid the worst of the rain.

Puncture crossing the north road into Bull Island, balls. Break out the kit, decided I'll use the CO2 canister that I bought about two years ago, and haven't had the opportunity to use yet. Work out how to put it into the little attachment, and KKKSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH!! Well, that's that gone. Pump the tyre back up.

Get a 'hi boardsie!' on my way home. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement