Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The State of O'Connell St

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Believe me, if you had to work in the Talbot Street area of town you definitely wouldn't find the chuggers more annoying. It's the security guards I feel bad for, a lot of the time I see them chasing junkies out of shops and, in one instance, one was attacked. The guards seem happy enough to leave it up to the individual security guards in those shops to do the guards work, if I'm not mistaken part of the guards work is to prevent crime from occurring which they seem incapable of doing.

And about the toilet issues, there are toilets in shops on or near O'Connell Street. Easons has toilets, Supermacs and McDonald's have toilets, and if you walk up Henry Street Dunnes and Jervis also have toilets. There's no excuse for people using O'Connell Street as a toilet.

On the toilet issue, I think the problem is alot of the people who crap on the street have at one stage or another been banned from the various shops and restaurants in the vicinity. Thats why they go in the only place thats left. That we are even discussing this in the context of the main street in the capital is shocking, and there is no reason for their not being some public toilets available.

Put someone in there keeping it clean, charge a small amount to access it. Thats what they do in every other country I have been in that had public toilets. Didnt see any junkies anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

MadsL wrote: »
    yeah, ask the UK how that is working for them. Thousands and thousands of cameras, negligible impact on crime rate.

CCTV doesn't work.

I'm not saying follow their example. But good CCTV coverage in areas like O'Connell Street combined with high pro-active Garda presence would deter crime. Its about how you use CCTV, not how many cameras you have, that determines its success.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

frag420 wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of the sentiment here regarding O'Connel street.

On sunday morning I was waiting on the 11 near the corner of Abbey St. I watched as two male junkies swapped there fake teeth and talked about how they can get them for free

If they got them for free why would they need to swap them?

Do they have a "one-size fits all" set of dentures these days?
    I saw a couple of skangers walking up and down the street intimidation passers by, tourists, kids etc asking them "are you looking to buy?"

Perhaps they were selling Timeshare?

The girl was gaunt and half dead, her tracksuit wearing scumbag partner looked vicious.

Timeshare sales must be feeling the pinch,eh Gok wan?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Stillorganboy

To many junkies, and hoodies

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Stillorganboy

To many empty busses driving through the street

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

mmcn90 wrote: »
    I'm not saying follow their example. But good CCTV coverage in areas like O'Connell Street combined with high pro-active Garda presence would deter crime. Its about how you use CCTV, not how many cameras you have, that determines its success.

This has been done from time to time, A new Inspector or Super comes to a station, shakes things up, new ideas, Cells are full in a couple of days.

It can't be kept up, budgets etc and everything goes back to normal.

There is plenty of CCTV but a lot of it is not working, the servicing was out to tender and took ages to get fixed.

Store Street work with a lot of the Business in the area and have been given permission in cases to log into their CCTV systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

that's generally a result of everyone getting off further down the street.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Seriously? There's a small booth on the Clery's side of the street, close-ish to the bridge. Best doughnuts in the world. :D

really? i always pass them and wonder

bluewolf wrote: »
    really? i always pass them and wonder

No, they're disgusting and overpriced. Tim Hortons over them any day!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

is that in the abbey st spar

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Take that back! :pac:

Tbh I've only ever had them after gigs in town, so my judgment may not necessarily be the best.

bluewolf wrote: »
    is that in the abbey st spar

Dunno about the abbey street one, I've gotten them in the one at the bottom of grafton street though, worth the walk!!
    Take that back! :pac:

Tbh I've only ever had them after gigs in town, so my judgment may not necessarily be the best.

I just really dont like them, they always smell great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

cson wrote: »
    Typing this out on my phone so it'll be brief, but its just struck me there how much of a hole the main thoroughfare in our capital city is. Wall to wall fast food places and tatty neon signs. And despite all of this it still has so much potential - some fantastic georgian architecture if only it was cared for :(

You haven't lived in Dublin long, have you? :P

Our main thoroughfare is a cesspit of scum, junkies and fast food outlets.

It's a fookin disgrace and has been for years. Let alone the fact the stupid 'new' pathway blends needlessly into the road, and imparts about as much friction as buttered glass when it rains.

I fookin hate O'Connell street, and it should be something to be proud of :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

They used to carry people to their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

You haven't lived in Dublin long, have you? :P

Our main thoroughfare is a cesspit of scum, junkies and fast food outlets.

It's a fookin disgrace and has been for years. Let alone the fact the stupid 'new' pathway blends needlessly into the road, and imparts about as much friction as buttered glass when it rains.

I fookin hate O'Connell street, and it should be something to be proud of :(

And yet we continue to allow the cheapest type of advertising, sandwich boards, gaudy LED signs, fabric banners, fast food shops, window posters etc.

Broken window syndrome - OCS looks sh1t, therefore we treat it like shi1t. You wouldn't be allowed this stuff on Oxford Street, Champs-Élysées or 5th Avenue. Why here?

I've put in planning enforcement complaints about a lot of crap that shouldn't be happening on OCS - Dr Quirkey's shopfront for one horrendous example - and DCC seem to have no interest in enforcing the very strict planning controls for OCS. OCS and Grafton should have full time planning enforcement stationed on the street. The Dublin Business Improvement District should be controlling its members better, but all they seem to spend the grant money on is those stupid 'ambassadors', who are little more than tourist information.

You wouldn't be allowed this stuff on Oxford Street, Champs-Élysées or 5th Avenue. Why here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

And yet we continue to allow the cheapest type of advertising, sandwich boards, gaudy LED signs, fabric banners, fast food shops, window posters etc.

You wouldn't be allowed this stuff on Oxford Street, Champs-Élysées or 5th Avenue. Why here?

I can tell you that I have seen all of those things in all of those places. Despite this, I think that Oxford Street is actually more comparable to Grafton Street anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Typing this out on my phone so it'll be brief, but its just struck me there how much of a hole the main thoroughfare in our capital city is. Wall to wall fast food places and tatty neon signs. And despite all of this it still has so much potential - some fantastic georgian architecture if only it was cared for :(

I once saw someone spitting on O' Connell street - true story

Must have had an Hotel on it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I can tell you that I have seen all of those things in all of those places. Despite this, I think that Oxford Street is actually more comparable to Grafton Street anyway.

Exactly. Oxford Street is a far worse offender for this ****e... bar a fake Dr Quirkeys wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Exactly. Oxford Street is a far worse offender for this ****e... bar a fake Dr Quirkeys wall.

What the hell is up with the fake Dr Quirkey's wall?! Why is it even there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭cson

Wow, surprised I missed that on the 6-1 news.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭cson

What the hell is up with the fake Dr Quirkey's wall?! Why is it even there!

To dress up the fact that its an abandoned building site behind it.

A good whack of O'Connell St is owned by Joe O'Reilly, of NAMA fame, and consequently the plans to have it rebuilt etc etc [they were going putting a Joe Lewis store in where the Dr Quirkeys fake wall is iirc] are down the ****ter obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

A good whack of O'Connell St is owned by Joe O'Reilly, of NAMA fame, and consequently the plans to have it rebuilt etc etc [they were going putting a Joe Lewis store in where the Dr Quirkeys fake wall is iirc] are down the ****ter obviously.

But that space has been empty for at least 20 years. O'Connell Street north of the Spire is just bizarre.

Big row on OCS last night, Joe Duffy show has it on soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I don't think you've been to any of those places. 5th avenue, even the high end bits, has more tacky souvenir shops than the whole of Ireland combined. Times Square has even more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

nudger wrote: »
    Big row on OCS last night, Joe Duffy show has it on soon.

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Did you mean a JOHN LEWIS dept store?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Lovely video of Dublin's finest and their antics on OCS / Henry street from yesterday. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3968586782673 (Need Facebook) According to the comments people were stabbed after they stopped videoing.

Edit: Uploaded yesterday also. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmsdYj2NL7M

When I went from O'Connell street onto North Earl street yesterday there was roughly 20-30 junkies standing around drinking, shouting and swearing right beside a tourist hot spot. I saw 4 different people openly dealing, what kind of impression does this give to tourists? Fúcking disgraceful, what makes it even worse is it's all in sight of CCTV cameras monitored by the Garda. 3 of them we're standing on the corner of Talbot street / Marlborough street doing absolutely nothing.

I was on the corner of OCS and Parnell Street on Monday. A guy in his mid-20's was walking along, then all of a sudden just stopped, took a small bag and his keys from his pocket, dipped his keys in the bag of coke, sniffed it and walked on. It was still bright outside (not that thats ever ok). FFS :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 bowsandarrows

RMD wrote: »
    Lovely video of Dublin's finest and their antics on OCS / Henry street from yesterday. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3968586782673 (Need Facebook) According to the comments people were stabbed after they stopped videoing.

Edit: Uploaded yesterday also. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmsdYj2NL7M

When I went from O'Connell street onto North Earl street yesterday there was roughly 20-30 junkies standing around drinking, shouting and swearing right beside a tourist hot spot. I saw 4 different people openly dealing, what kind of impression does this give to tourists? Fúcking disgraceful, what makes it even worse is it's all in sight of CCTV cameras monitored by the Garda. 3 of them we're standing on the corner of Talbot street / Marlborough street doing absolutely nothing.

Is that linked to the story the Herald ran today?

Nothing will be done until a civilian gets hurt or killed badly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement