Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The State of O'Connell St

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Is that linked to the story the Herald ran today?

Nothing will be done until a civilian gets hurt or killed badly.

This was the one the Herald story was about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

This was the one the Herald story was about

Yeah, thats the one from the facebook link. Absolutely disgraceful!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Right in front of the tourism office,lovely stuff!

Pity there wasn't any Gardai standing in front of the the GPO texting on their phones like there usually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

24 carat scum in both of the videos above

i honestly hope lonely planet circulate these videos and reference these events in their guides

no tourist should have to be anywhere near these filthbags

maybe when absolutely no tourists are coming anywhere near dublin the politicos and the guards might get the finger out

until it starts costing businesses they'll do nothing

if they keep ignoring this problem o'connell street is going to be a ghost town (or a zombie town with just strung out dirtbags on it)

this kind of crap makes me want to vomit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭celt262

Great bunch of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

this reminds me... at lunch time today, top of Earl street, one junkie goes to the other "if ye were in anyways a brother ye'd stab him"

Another junkie pipes up: "I'll give ye a knife"

:pac:

theres actually a garda van parked beside the spire all this week :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

That Garda van has been there since last Friday night,probably either broken down or the lads have forgotten where they parked it!

A Garda was assaulted attempting to break this fight up apparently. Breaking up something like this is a hell of a lot easier said than done.

That Garda van has been there since last Friday night,probably either broken down or the lads have forgotten where they parked it!

It's been there longer than that, I reckon it ran out of fuel and the guards have no money left to fill it :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I can tell you that I have seen all of those things in all of those places. Despite this, I think that Oxford Street is actually more comparable to Grafton Street anyway.

What? Have you ever been to either of those streets? Oxford Street is a massive busy thoroughfare which has next to nothing in common with the small pedestrianised Grafton St. It is most certainly the most comparable street in London to O'Connell, in so far as any street in a small city like Dublin can claim comparison to a street in a major world capital like London. Grafton St is in some small way comparable to Bond St or Carnaby St, though there is no real comparison.
    Dodge wrote: »
    Thats the point I'm making. You get whatever the local phrase is. You've seriously never been approached by a begger in Times Square or Oxford Street?

I worked off Oxford Street for years and there is very little evidence of scumbags and junkies hanging around the street. Tbh, it just isn't feasible there as the pedestrian traffic is just far too heavy for anyone to be comfortable hanging out in one spot for hours on end. But I couldn't see it being allowed there by the Met. You'll find plenty of scummy behaviour around Camden and an awful lot of it in Brixton, and the less touristy areas like Tooting, Dalston, Tottenham, etc but it's just not a major problem in central London. When I moved back here a couple of years ago the scale of the problem in central Dublin was shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

iguana wrote: »

I worked off Oxford Street for years and there is very little evidence of scumbags and junkies hanging around the street. Tbh, it just isn't feasible there as the pedestrian traffic is just far too heavy for anyone to be comfortable hanging out in one spot for hours on end. But I couldn't see it being allowed there by the Met. You'll find plenty of scummy behaviour around Camden and an awful lot of it in Brixton, and the less touristy areas like Tooting, Dalston, Tottenham, etc but it's just not a major problem in central London. When I moved back here a couple of years ago the scale of the problem in central Dublin was shocking.

The major problem with O'Connell Street is the density of heroin related projects in the local area, meaning all the scum like to congregate around the area. I could be completely wrong, but I'd assume the English are smart enough not to build a junkie breeding ground next to London's main thoroughfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

The Irish Times - Thursday, May 24, 2012

Tourists reassured after city brawl

Minister for Tourism Leo Varadkar has moved to reassure tourists that Dublin is safe following a violent incident in Henry Street on Tuesday evening.
    Shoppers and tourists watched as a brawl involving up to a dozen people broke out between the GPO and a tourist office. Gardaí are investigating the incident.
    Mr Varadkar said any violence was a matter of concern, but that “Dublin is an extremely safe city. The number of complaints that we get from tourists is very low.”
    He said 6.5 million visitors came to Ireland every year, with three-quarters visiting Dublin. “Only three out of every 10,000 [run into problems and] have to contact the Irish Tourist Assistance Service.”

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Leo yes maybe these Tourists are not complaining about being attacked or robbed, but you can be sure they are taking away with them bad images and memory's of Dublin City that they will pass on by word of mouth to many others back in their home country.

The way they have allowed the city centre to go up there is probably costing this country millions in lost tourist revenue every year.

It looks like it will take an incident on an innocent by passer before they actually make a REAL attempt to solve this problem.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

The Transport systems start radially from the City Centre and there are Flats Estates there .There is little if any comparison with London .The Apathy of the Nation plays a part.
    Noticeably a concern about tourism but little about ordinary bystanders .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

celt262 wrote: »
    Great bunch of lads.

They most definately are not a great bunch of lads,

...........skangers the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Right in front of the tourism office,lovely stuff!

Pity there wasn't any Gardai standing in front of the the GPO texting on their phones like there usually is.

For the record (and for the attention of Opposition Spokespersons)

The Minister for Justice (responsible for Gardai) is Alan Shatter
    The Minister for Transport and Tourism is Leo Varadkar.

Is it too much to expect that either (or both) of these gentlemen might actually do something about the lack of Garda presence/action on the O'Connell Street problem???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

RMD wrote: »
    Lovely video of Dublin's finest and their antics on OCS / Henry street from yesterday. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3968586782673 (Need Facebook) According to the comments people were stabbed after they stopped videoing.

Edit: Uploaded yesterday also. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmsdYj2NL7M

When I went from O'Connell street onto North Earl street yesterday there was roughly 20-30 junkies standing around drinking, shouting and swearing right beside a tourist hot spot. I saw 4 different people openly dealing, what kind of impression does this give to tourists? Fúcking disgraceful, what makes it even worse is it's all in sight of CCTV cameras monitored by the Garda. 3 of them we're standing on the corner of Talbot street / Marlborough street doing absolutely nothing.

Can we elect Boris Johnson as mayor? I cant believe Im saying this but he would do a better job of what we have at the moment. If there were junkies shooting up on Trafalgar square he would sort it out. Whats Dublins current mayor doing? Opening the new wing on the Botanical gardens I suppose.

Difference is, London Mayor is political position with powers. Dublin Mayor, figurehead whose purpose is to look pretty and wear a nice gold chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

iguana wrote: »
    I worked off Oxford Street for years and there is very little evidence of scumbags and junkies hanging around the street. .

Seeing as you quoted me I'll respond. I didn't reply to a post about junkies. I specifically replid to the post about sandwich boards and signs etc

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Difference is, London Mayor is political position with powers. Dublin Mayor, figurehead whose purpose is to look pretty and wear a nice gold chain.

Unfortunatley your correct.
    Nothing will be done until a civilian gets hurt or killed badly.

Do you not mean badly hurt or killed?

Also by civilian, I'm assuming you mean 'normal person' and not junky/scumbag. They get badly hurt everyday, but don't let on in case the guards notice how much their getting in welfare.

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    Seeing as you quoted me I'll respond. I didn't reply to a post about junkies. I specifically replid to the post about sandwich boards and signs etc

If only sandwich boards and signs were all that was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

btw has anyone seen Smithfield lately?

it's early days yet...but i think they may have gone and got it right!!!

may be worth looking at doing the same on o connell st if it works out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

You mean where there was a huge riot at the horse fair?? Oh yeah, they got that REALLY right :rolleyes:

You mean where there was a huge riot at the horse fair?? Oh yeah, they got that REALLY right :rolleyes:
    wtf are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

It looks much the same with a few big potted trees from what I've seen. Sadly it's still gonna have the same junkie crowd hanging around that big black thing in the middle and scattered all around the place

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

wtf are you talking about?

Let me Google That for You

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Where are those rehab centers people keep talking about btw? Those close to OCS ofcourse.

Not rehab just methadone centres, in various buildings around Dublin 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

By that rational, the riots in London means that London is a no go area and anything in London should not be copied at all. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

yeah i am aware of the smithfield horsefair ...but what has that got to do with the current landscaping work in smithfield and its potential to actually work and maybe if it does work....the possibility of maybe trying it on Oconnell st.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement