Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The State of O'Connell St

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

yeah i am aware of the smithfield horsefair ...but what has that got to do with the current landscaping work in smithfield and its potential to actually work and maybe if it does work....the possibility of maybe trying it on Oconnell st.

In a word - none what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

One simply can't compare Dublin Ireland to London , United Kingdom. maybe somewhere like Switzerland yes but Dublin will never compare with London. I try everyday of the week to compare it. its just not the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

There are methadone clinics on Pearse Street,Merchants Quay,Amiens Street and on Lord Edward Street.Also a lot of hostels near O'Connell Street where addicts are accomodated,that's why they congregate around O'Connell and Abbey Streets during the daytime.

The only area that I've seen in another city that comes close to the problems of inner city Dublin was around Kings Cross in London in the late 90's.And even then there was a concerted effort by the Met and the council to improve the situation.

Jhcx wrote: »
    One simply can't compare Dublin Ireland to London , United Kingdom. maybe somewhere like Switzerland yes but Dublin will never compare with London. I try everyday of the week to compare it. its just not the same

Have you been to Zurich?

syklops wrote: »

Have you been to Zurich?

No I've been to Köln

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

No I've been to Köln

What has that Cologne got to do with either Dublin or Zurich and why should Dublin be compared to Zurich?

reprazant wrote: »
    What has that Cologne got to do with either Dublin or Zurich and why should Dublin be compared to Zurich?

I have no idea ask yer man who asked me have I been to Zurich. Pointless in asking me in as good as the friendly neighbourhood cat.

now back on topic about O connell street and its junkies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I have no idea ask yer man who asked me have I been to Zurich. Pointless in asking me in as good as the friendly neighbourhood cat.

He asked you if you've been to Zurich, as you said "One simply can't compare Dublin Ireland to London , United Kingdom. maybe somewhere like Switzerland yes but Dublin will never compare with London".

If you'd ever been to Zurich, you'd know that you can't compare it to Dublin. The two cities are nothing alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

http://www.herald.ie/news/bloodbath-in-broad-daylight-3117105.html

Our lovely O'Connell St makes the papers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He asked you if you've been to Zurich, as you said "One simply can't compare Dublin Ireland to London , United Kingdom. maybe somewhere like Switzerland yes but Dublin will never compare with London".

If you'd ever been to Zurich, you'd know that you can't compare it to Dublin. The two cities are nothing alike.

In that Zurich is boring as f**k? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

There are methadone clinics on Pearse Street,Merchants Quay,Amiens Street and on Lord Edward Street.Also a lot of hostels near O'Connell Street where addicts are accomodated,that's why they congregate around O'Connell and Abbey Streets during the daytime.

The only area that I've seen in another city that comes close to the problems of inner city Dublin was around Kings Cross in London in the late 90's.And even then there was a concerted effort by the Met and the council to improve the situation.

Merchants Quay doesn't provide a methadone service in the city centre.

Fair enough I know absolutely nothing about Zurich or what country it is in. but its basically repeated my statement about comparing it to London. this is all too confusing I'm going back to the sun. Maybe you can compare Dublin to Manchester or some minor city. I don't know which one, ye can choose . this is totally off topic.

BOOM! head explodes.

You are the one who brought up Switzerland.

I wish we could go back to the days when you had to configure a modem to get on the internet. It was like an entrance exam.

Bambi wrote: »
    In that Zurich is boring as f**k? :)

If you remove drinking from things to do, Dublin has absolutely nothing for tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

If you remove drinking from things to do, Dublin has absolutely nothing for tourists.

The spire man, the spire!

syklops wrote: »

BOOM! head explodes.

You are the one who brought up Switzerland.

I wish we could go back to the days when you had to configure a modem to get on the internet. It was like an entrance exam.

Well I'm sorry a country came into my head I could have said Russia or Africa or Poland or a hundred others but I didn't. I'm sorry my retardness had caused u so much anger(frustration)

Well I'm sorry a county came into my head I could have said Russia or Africa or Poland or a hundred others but I didn't. I'm sorry my retardness had caused u so much anger

Moscow is bigger and more varied than London. Africa is a continent. Warsaw is nearly three times the size of Dublin, with a much lower GDP/capita. None of those can be compared with Dublin.

mattjack wrote: »
    Merchants Quay doesn't provide a methadone service in the city centre.

From Merchants Quay website:
    Day Programmes

Day Support Services can be seen as the first steps away from crisis drug use and towards rehabilitation. These services are aimed at people who are using street drugs, or are in treatment, and want to bring about more stability and structure in their lives.

Who can use this service?
    Current drug users who want to become drug free.

What services are offered?
    • Methadone prescribing, treatment and support (Dublin 8 area only)
    • Therapeutic groups
    • Personal development work
    • Day support programmes and skills training
    • Catering Training Programme
    • Counselling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

From Merchants Quay website:

Not in the city centre, I work for Merchants Quay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

Dollymount Strand, Howth, Malahide, Kiliney coast (all with 30 to 40 mins of the city centre) Wander around Grafton St, Georgian Dublin. Phoenix Park, Dublin mountains. We've a lot more to offer than most capital cities

• Advertisement

mattjack wrote: »
    Not in the city centre, I work for Merchants Quay

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

http://www.herald.ie/news/bloodbath-in-broad-daylight-3117105.html

Our lovely O'Connell St makes the papers again.

i'll just leave this here

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

To me, it would be beyond any understanding that anyone would come to Dublin just for (or mostly for) having alcohol in big quantities. For that, there are better places, "better" being having cheaper booze, nicer climate, bars and pubs open 24x7 and being within "low cost" flights from anywhere in Europe. For example, all the Mediterranean coast of Spain.

Oh, wait...

Moscow is bigger and more varied than London. Africa is a continent. Warsaw is nearly three times the size of Dublin, with a much lower GDP/capita. None of those can be compared with Dublin.

Why are you choosing all the major world Cities. Dublin never was and never will be in yours/my life time a Major World city. Unless all the Junkies get off their backsides and start humping every woman that passes instead of trying to kill themselves then maybe we would be getting somewhere. London nearly has 8 times(Im probably wrong here) more population that Dublin has had. If it weren't for the English slaughtering everyone and the famine coming along maybe Ireland could be totally different place. Reading this article The councils first choice to chose was Amsterdam(To compare). Now there's something that seems more sturdy(Although it does mention Zurich in there :p) Im just saying Transport, population, government and policing cant be compared, ones large the other is small. If 10 million people came to Dublin in the morning, It would crash imo, its made for 2 million people cause that's all it has at the mo. The only thing that we can compare are outdated laws, use of the same language and the fact that no matter were you go you will find the Irish and junkies.

My point was based on post mentioning places in London and here. May as well be trying to compare Stephens green with Hyde park. or Buckingham Palace to Áras an Uachtaráin.

Theres no point in telling me or asking me about other places simply because i mentioned them. I have no Interest. My interests are Dublin and London and how i would love to see Dublin turn into London, but thats just a dream and all it will ever be. Dublin has great potential, there are some wonderful building just boarded up. Its a shame that the government, who may as well be junkies are just sitting on there back side allowing such things to happen. Why the guards are allowing for bad publicity on the main streets.

I never liked O'Connell street very much its just too wide and modern. there is no atmosphere in it. That big goldish coloured building what is that, its a shame to see it closed. and when you go up further all the empty slots where great architecture could have once stood now gone, and all those horrible An bord Pleanála requests just plastered all over the place. Personal favourite streets of mine would be Dame Street, Dawson Street, William Street. I never liked plan building, O'Connell street is just too flat and plain no character. Take away the tree's the spire all your left with is a big wide american road. Example only As to the way i see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

What the hell are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I was there. Its a safety paradise, not a single skanger type ruffiant in sight day and night. I did read about their junkie problem beforehand(a certain famous park) but whatever the authorities did to clear any bad element up, it worked. If only Dublin could be like that, i'll keep dreaming.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

errr.............what now...............OMG:eek::eek::eek:

Dublin is a brilliant City for tourist. i have lived here for 11 years and i havent even scratched the surface of things to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Its a pity as most tourists and shoppers do not like them. Was'nt there a survey in the city centre some time ago which said 79% of tourists did not wish to return to Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Check out Discover Dublin (parody) on YT, didn't take long.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Needless to say I'm not a fan of the Bueshirts but Patrick O'Donovan gave a good speech on this in the Dáil on Tuesday on a debate about preserving Moore Street(he subsequently sided with the developers by amending the motion before the house but anyway)
    I welcome the opportunity to speak on this motion. I also welcome the presence of the Minister and the relatives of the leaders of 1916 Rising in the Gallery, whom I was fortunate to meet at a recent meeting of the Oireachtas Joint Committee on the Environment, Heritage, Transport and the Gaeltacht. I will not repeat what has been said but it is important this issue is not politicised because all parties in this Dáil come from the foundation stone that was laid in 1916.

The Minister’s commitment to heritage is obvious and I welcome the response he gave to the motion. I come from that part of the world from where Con Colbert, who was associated with the 1916 Rising, came. This is not only a Dublin issue, it is very much a national issue.

While I agree with a great deal of what has been said, there is a bigger context to this, namely, the total destruction of the north side of Dublin city centre from O’Connell Street out. It is not only Moore Street, which is main part of this motion. What Dublin City Council has allowed to happen to the main thoroughfare of our capital city during the past 20 or 30 years is a scandal. Where were the councillors when decisions were being made to turn the largest and one of the finest boulevards in the world into a monument of neon, plastic and tack and the surrounding three or so blocks around O’Connell Street? Where was the Dublin City development plan in this context? This is the same Dublin city development plan that was adopted recently and we found we had a massive problem with regard to a site for the national children’s hospital. Yet the council could allow the destruction of the Georgian and Edwardian Dublin to the scale where the principal locations of where the 1916 Rising was fought has been shrouded by plastic and neon. It is a scandal to think that at no stage did Dublin city councillors, of any party, say that enough was enough when these development plans were being adopted. I found it embarrassing when, along with a colleague, Deputy Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin, I stood facing the GPO during the 1916 commemorations in O’Connell Street a few months ago and noted that to my back there was nothing but plastic and all sorts of rubbish, for want of a better word, that has no place in the main street of any capital city, let alone a street that is of such historical importance as O’Connell Street.

What has happened in Moore Street is symptomatic of what has been allowed to happen to the entire north side of Dublin. It begs the question that if the 1916 Rising had happened on the southside, would we be even having this argument. We probably would not. That needs to be said. In fairness, the area has been very badly treated. I pull no punches when it comes to An Post either because, as Deputy Ferris said, one has to go rooting around to find the memorabilia that commemorate the 1916 Rising.

When one contrasts what we have in Dublin with sites such as Gettysburg, Antietam, Waterloo and anywhere a struggle for independence or battle took place one can see how successive management teams, council teams and governments have failed Dublin city centre. I am not from Dublin but this is of huge significance to me . What we allowed happen on O’Connell Street permeates outwards. With great aplomb we erected a monument to the Celtic tiger, namely, the Spire. It is a soulless characterless piece of metal dumped in the middle of O’Connell Street. It draws one’s eye up to the top of it but what does one get then? One’s eye returns to earth fairly rapidly with an anticlimactic “well, what was that about?”. It is typical of what the Celtic tiger years did to the country. Perhaps consideration might be given to naming it after a certain politician who served the constituency of Dublin Central with such distinction.

I welcome the Minister’s proposed amendment to the motion. I congratulate Sinn Féin. I can be very critical of Sinn Féin when I need to be, but in fairness it is an absolute scandal that we are even discussing in the Dáil what we have allowed happen to Georgian and Edwardian Dublin and to buildings with architectural significance never mind historical significance. Rural Deputies will know that some fellow from the local authority will come out to plank a preservation order on a bunch of rocks and stones with a bit of thatch on top of them. We have allowed the main street in our capital city to be turned into something like the sea front facade of a resort in the south of England. What Dublin City Council has allowed to happen is a scandal. Will the Minister, at the earliest opportunity, arrange for the manager of Dublin City Council to appear before the Oireachtas Joint Committee on the Environment, Transport, Culture and the Gaeltacht so he can put forward a plan for this national thoroughfare because what the local authority has allowed to happen is an absolute disgrace?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement