Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Two HD on Sky [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

OldRio wrote: »
    For the 'privilege' of watching RTE2 in HD some will pay the TV licence and Sky.

You do not have to pay Sky anything

RTE2HD is free to air.

As Sky requested this HD service (not station) they must ensure that NO extra cost is bourne by the subscriber.

I would hope that you know that the TV licence is for possessing a TV not what you do with it.

You do not have to pay subscription charges to the likes of Sky (who pay feck all in this country in taxes) to watch RTE2HD or any of the 9 out of 10 most most watched stations in this country.

Anyone that subscribes to Sky is theirown bsuiness and a private contract that they were hoodwinked into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

STB wrote: »
    OldRio wrote: »
    For the 'privilege' of watching RTE2 in HD some will pay the TV licence and Sky.

You do not have to pay Sky anything

RTE2HD is free to air.

As Sky requested this HD service (not station) they must ensure that NO extra cost is bourne by the subscriber.

I would hope that you know that the TV licence is for possessing a TV not what you do with it.

You do not have to pay subscription charges to the likes of Sky (who pay feck all in this country in taxes) to watch RTE2HD or any of the 9 out of 10 most most watched stations in this country.

Anyone that subscribes to Sky is theirown bsuiness and a private contract that they were hoodwinked into.
    I disagree with the term used as hoodwinked, I freely subscribe to Sky because of the ease of use of it's service and for Sky Atlantic and Sky 1. If you don't like it don't get it but don't be coming on here telling people they were hoodwinked, we're not all that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭JDxtra

200motels wrote: »
    I disagree with the term used as hoodwinked, I freely subscribe to Sky because of the ease of use of it's service and for Sky Atlantic and Sky 1. If you don't like it don't get it but don't be coming on here telling people they were hoodwinked, we're not all that stupid.
    Spot on. It's a good service which I'm happy to pay for too. Others may consider it money down the drain. I don't. I have Sky/Freesat/Saorview in my home - nothing out there compares to the channel selection, ease of use and reliability of a Sky HD box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭galtee boy

p.oconnor wrote: »
    From previous new channels launching on the sky platform... how long until we can we expect the RTE 2HD channel to appear on the epg? days-weeks-months??

Normally, not too long. I would expect to see it on the Epg, in the next week or two. Sooner, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Days or at the most week or two. It's most likely simply to replace SD RTE2 on HD boxes, no new EPG entry at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

eh? why has the original post been taken down? whats the frequency to put in? anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

Nodferatu wrote: »
    eh? why has the original post been taken down? whats the frequency to put in? anyone?

It wasn't taken down. It's still here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78564284&postcount=103

Threads were merged so it moved from the first page. Just in case you missed it you need to be signed up to the HD package (15 extra per month) to view the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

zg3409 wrote: »
    It wasn't taken down. It's still here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78564284&postcount=103

Threads were merged so it moved from the first page. Just in case you missed it you need to be signed up to the HD package (15 extra per month) to view the test.

thanks, i couldn't find it

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Jon_459

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Working here no problem - do a rescan on 10.743 22 5/6 & all will be good.[

On my old, tired Thompson box it works. I got a new HD box from Sky late last year (can't find a manufacturer name on it) and I get "No Signal" error.

I would switch boxes but the old one is a b#@ch to respond to the remote control.

Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Now changed to " upgrade your subscription to receive this HD Channel"

Very bad move by Sky imho considering its carried without a HD sub on UPC & Saorsat........

Irony that with a SD sub you can watch BBC,ITV & Ch4 HD but not RTE.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Was looking forward to watching Ospreys v Munster in HD:(

• Subscribers Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

groom wrote: »
    Was looking forward to watching Ospreys v Munster in HD:(

I wouldn't worry about it, feed from Wales looks to be SD, and not great quality. Picture isn't much better than on SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Irony that with a SD sub you can watch BBC,ITV & Ch4 HD
    You don't need ANY sub for them

Or indeed for RTE2 via Aerial or 9E

I'd be surprised if you need an HD sub, just any sub once it's properly launched. You can complain to BAI if you need an HD sub for it. (It's not FTV, so you need some sort of Sky Sub as there is no Irish Sky FTV card)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Infoanon wrote: »
    Now changed to " upgrade your subscription to receive this HD Channel"

Very bad move by Sky imho considering its carried without a HD sub on UPC & Saorsat........

Irony that with a SD sub you can watch BBC,ITV & Ch4 HD but not RTE.....

Cant believe ye will need a HD sub to view it even if you have a hd box with no hd sub....that is really poor form...surely rte wouldnt be cashing in on this would they if its only availabe via hd sub

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Is this definitely only going to be available with a HD sub on the Sky platform?
    Noticed too that the test has changed to the upgrade your package message but not sure this will be a permanent thing.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I doubt it's going to be called '1270' not be on the epg or have programmes with no audio and loads of picture breakup, why people are jumping to conclusions about an unlaunched test channel I've no idea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

There'll be an announcement about rte 2 HD on Monday folks

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Very dissapointed when I came home this evening and found this message....hope this is temporary >jpeg attached<

[Edit: Well I certaintly thought it was attached, it apears not!]

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

From sky or RTE or both do you know??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

p.oconnor wrote: »
    From sky or RTE or both do you know??

Sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Any more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chris2000

Hi,

I have a standard sky box and when I Try to add rte 2 HD only the normal rte 2 displays as an option to add on.

Do you have to have a sky hd box to get rte 2hd? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks guys

chris2000 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a standard sky box and when I Try to add rte 2 HD only the normal rte 2 displays as an option to add on.

Do you have to have a sky hd box to get rte 2hd? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks guys

Yeah, you need an HD capable box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

MACHEAD wrote: »
    Very dissapointed when I came home this evening and found this message....hope this is temporary >jpeg attached<

[Edit: Well I certaintly thought it was attached, it apears not!]
    That happened yesterday too but it came back after. Typical does it during the rugby, wanted to see just how good the feed is

Hopfully it should come back, its only a test channel anyhow

mad muffin wrote: »
    Any more info?

Sorry mate not til Monday :)

Sorry mate not til Monday :)

Hehe, no worries :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im guessing RTE2 HD will remain a hd sub channel only as RTE is a pay tv channel on sky and the HD element requires a HD sub like most other hd channels excluding bbc and Itv1. SD rte will always remain for subscribers without the hd package.

Gonzo wrote: »
    im guessing RTE2 HD will remain a hd sub channel only as RTE is a pay tv channel on sky and the HD element requires a HD sub like most other hd channels excluding bbc and Itv1. SD rte will always remain for subscribers without the hd package.

I think their might be something in the BAI rules that means RTE2HD cannot be a premium srvice (as UPC recently found out) - must take a look at the legislation

Section 77 of the broadcast act 2009 specifically sub sections 12 & 13 - key line being Subsection 13 ' shall not result in any additional charge on any subscriber to a satellite television service'

Unless there is an exempion somewhere in the act this one looks fairly clear cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Infoanon wrote: »
    Section 77 of the broadcast act 2009 specifically sub sections 12 & 13 - key line being Subsection 13 ' shall not result in any additional charge on any subscriber to a satellite television service'

Unless there is an exempion somewhere in the act this one looks fairly clear cut.

Depends on how you read it I guess, my read of it is they cannot add a specific charge or increase the sub for a package that includes the "must-offer/must-carry" channels and by including RTÉ2 HD in the HD pack and not increasing the HD pack charge they aren't breaking any rules. We'll know for sure on Monday when the announcement is made (according to helimachoptor's posts).
    (12) RTÉ, TG4 and the television service programme contractor shall ensure that their must-offer services are at all times offered for broadcast or re-transmission (subject to agreement as to fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms of use) by means of every satellite television service.

(13) Arrangements entered into under subsection (12) shall not result in an additional charge on any subscriber to a satellite television service by reason of the making available to that subscriber of any must-offer service by way of the satellite television service.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0018/sec0077.html#sec77

Advertisement